Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sengoku Strider

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by Sengoku Strider »

To Far Away Times wrote:Sony abandoned nearly all Japanese support to chase the sad dad third person story first game that is carefully crafted to win mass market awards. Sometimes it works, like Last of Us 2, but most of the time, these games are insufferable. But it generally feels like they deserve their Japanese support ass kicking.
I think it was more that they looked at their Japan Studios and realized they'd produced basically one home grown hit since Shadow of the Colossus in 2005: 2014's Freedom Wars on the Vita, which naturally only sold significant numbers in Japan. They basically just functioned as a Minna no Golf factory.

Their only other big successes were effectively mercenary work like Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, not anything they could produce on their own. Their catalogue is littered with well-intentioned mediocrity like Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, Soul Sacrifice and White Knight Chronicles. Their lone meaningful all-internal release in the 2010s was The Last Guardian, which also underperformed.

I'd imagine they also looked at their American developers producing Ghost of Tsushima and making a more successful and better received Japanese game (even in Japan!) than Japan Studios was.

Then they looked at what the Japanese market really was: a bunch of mobile consumers, with (non-Nintendo) hit console games selling 200-300k, while Western-focused titles easily went into the multi-millions.

Then they surveyed the Japanese industry landscape, and saw that they could count on one hand the number of companies who had the scale to really utilize the PS5. They'd be easy enough to support directly.

It seemed really cold and drastic when it was announced, but when you break it down you see that it was them realizing they were throwing money in the wrong direction there, with an industry largely without the manpower to produce the type of title they needed. Polyphony Digital survived, so it was really about the bottom line.

All that being said, yeah, Sony is literally the company that invented the rice cooker, and the PlayStation was the thing that kept them from going under in the 00s. Losing that Japan focus is losing a (big) part of their soul.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Udderdude wrote:Oops, DFK scoring bug in stage 5. https://twitter.com/JaimersSTG/status/1 ... 0786752516
That's a really weird individual bug to have. I wonder if those things giving extra hit in the first place was originally an "unintended feature"?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Udderdude wrote: ... DFK ... scoring ... stage 5 ...
Humm, is that for normal human being ? I'll buy the game still :D
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Take a look at the credits and you might see a familiar name in "Nicolas Dufer", who was previously on this forums on the behalf of Degica and was involved in the Steam releases of Eschatos, etc.

Also, seems I found a way to get the game to crash consistently-- watch the credits and let it sit for a bit and it'll crash hard. That's a pretty embarrassing one, I'd say.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Hmm.

So I just 1cc'd version 1.5. Saw the ending animation, "Good job, etc". Was waiting to put my initials in and save my run, and I just got sent back to the title screen. What the fuck.

First time with this game, so I dunno if if that's supposed to happen or what. Anybody else having this happen?

Edit: talking 'bout DDPDFK
Unadan360

Post by Unadan360 »

So no noticeable input lag on the new DDP? Anyone??
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Unadan360 wrote:So no noticeable input lag on the new DDP? Anyone??
It's just as responsive as LiveWire's prior two conversions. Probably adds 1 frame of delay over the 360 versions. It feels fine, plus DFK has reeeeeeeeeeeeally lenient hit-detection anyway (especially after having played Exa Label SDOJ just last week).

I played a quick credit of 1.5 Arcade, made it to 2-4 (tsuujou/omote loop), entered my initials and then saved the replay. I then watched the replay and it played normally (no desyncing). I quickly tried BL and BL Arrange... no crazy excessive slowdown when using ShotLaser (like the earlier Steam version). This release feels pretty close to the 360 versions.

Now that they've released these 3 games I'd like them to fix the issues with them before committing to anything else.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Fix the things and free SDOJ. :)
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Sengoku Strider wrote:potential PC release down the road.
KETSUI ON PC: NEVER
GAREGGA ON PC: NEVER
FUTARI ON PC: NEVER
CRP

Post by CRP »

Espgaluda II patch update notice

-Improved stability of sound playback processing.
-Replacement of song files for BGM (stages 2, 4, and 6) of a specific stage.
-Other minor bug fixes.
https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 7365619717
mushi update notice

-Fixed BGM fade-out issue.
-Fixed the problem that noise occurs when playing BGM and SE.
-Improved stability of sound playback processing.
-Other minor bug fixes.
https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 4926692352
AAA

Post by AAA »

Ah thanks, I did wonder what I had downloaded today.
Good to know about the Esp2 music in particular, that was really throwing me before.

Now then, where are those online leaderboards and replay downloads...
CRP

Post by CRP »

AAA wrote:Now then, where are those online leaderboards and replay downloads...
They are working on it , gsk tweeted i while back

Code: Select all

they're also patching leaderboards into the previous Switch ports
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1461089046583676928
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

MaXXX wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:potential PC release down the road.
KETSUI ON PC: NEVER
GAREGGA ON PC: NEVER
FUTARI ON PC: NEVER
Yeah, not being a PC Gamer I'm not up on what's available & what's not, just that some stuff does appear there (not to mention the things it already has that recent consoles don't).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ketsui has so many ports already, I don't think there's any shooter I own more copies of :P
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sumez wrote:Ketsui has so many ports already, I don't think there's any shooter I own more copies of :P
360/PS3/PS4... I guess that is pretty good coverage. Now this has me wondering what the most ported shmup is? Likely an R-Type or a Gradius I'd guss.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Jonpachi wrote:360/PS3/PS4... I guess that is pretty good coverage. Now this has me wondering what the most ported shmup is? Likely an R-Type or a Gradius I'd guss.
I figure it'll be an early Namco one like Galaga or Xevious since they've got ports of these games for most consoles and PCs since the 80s.
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Does Espgaluda 2 have a different arrange soundtrack to the xb360.

I just played arrange mode with background music set to all arrange and it sounds completely different. XB360 has an arranged soundtrack and switch seems the same as original.

Is something wrong with the soundtrack on this port?
defected78

Post by defected78 »

It straight up just doesnt play the arranged soundtrack on Espgaluda 2 no matter the option you set.

Also noticed a strange sound in Mushi stage 3 when you shoot the worms.

Some patching still required before retiring the 360 versions for convenience.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

There was a patch a couple days ago that screwed up the soundtrack and audio in mushi and esp 2
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Well isn't that just brillant? Why break what isn't broken?
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Its good having hardcore players do the play testing but they also need quality control on the UI and presentation which superplay players may not be interested in as much.
defected78

Post by defected78 »

This is misrepresentation of a product being sold as advertised.

Its advertised with an arranged soundtrack but doesnt have one.

This is against trading regulations.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Gee I hope someone will press charges
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Oh wow an unintentional glitch? Lock them up and throw away the key.

Seriously for anyone to care about false advertising there would have to be a pattern of intentional deception along with substantial damages or loss to consumers.

There's a difference between poor quality control and false advertising.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I played some Mushi today and noticed two things:

1) Yes, the sound effects are rubbish after the patch

2) I have a theory behind replay desyncs. Rapid settings cause it (at least the supershot tech). My runs using supershot desync BUT my two runs without it don't. Idk if that makes sense in the slightest but that was the ONLY difference between them. (I don't know about the other rapid button cause I don't ever use it)

Any thoughts?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

SPM wrote: 2) I have a theory behind replay desyncs. Rapid settings cause it (at least the supershot tech). My runs using supershot desync BUT my two runs without it don't. Idk if that makes sense in the slightest but that was the ONLY difference between them. (I don't know about the other rapid button cause I don't ever use it)

Any thoughts?
I'm using the arcade default 3 button set up (manually mashing out A連, C連 and CとA連) and every replay desyncs.

Also, they didn't fix the stage 3 midboss broken explosion sound effect in ESPGaluda 2. In fact, the rapid shot audio is gross sounding now. It's really apparent at the beginning of stages 3, 4 and 5 where it sounds super muddy and actually cancels out some of the music.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Their catalogue is littered with well-intentioned mediocrity like Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, Soul Sacrifice and White Knight Chronicles.
None of these are mediocre by any reasonable definition, but it's no wonder that Sony's Japan side might appear to be excess baggage when people talk about great games as if they're disposable... like game developers themselves do. The real story is that something very strange happened in the Japanese game industry around the mid '90s or so. That's when everything seemingly went to shit; solid values were tossed aside as outdated nonsense, replaced by actual nonsense. The Japanese industry hasn't really changed much since then, but video games continue to become substantially more expensive/complicated every few years, which when combined with this terrible shift in values leads to endless fuckery surrounding Japanese game developers. I don't really understand how anything video game-related in Japan has sold any real numbers for at least the past twenty years.
Rastan78 wrote:There's a difference between poor quality control and false advertising.
There's also a difference between throwing a game/update out into the elements and some weird bug getting through reasonably extensive testing, just so you know. I'm not praising Live Wire here, but I am saying that it's more likely that something totally bizarre, largely outside of their control, happened. Maybe I should just constantly despise game developers like most people on the internet, but I just can't.

Well, actually, I am going to praise Live Wire for freeing Galuda 2 from 360-exclusivity. This is absolutely a situation where something is better than nothing, never mind that something is currently in the process of being unfucked. Other than that weirdo talking about suing Live Wire (?!), the reception here has been substantially better than, say, DOJBLEX (where the issues were mostly with a specific mode and with loading times being a bit long). All that aside, I hope we get a PC port eventually, but oh well.

You know what the real problem is? All these developers focus too much on ports and not on new games, where they don't have to deal with all these accuracy issues. Except, go figure, ports are a lot easier... Strikers 2020 is still nowhere to be found. And then, on top of everything else, you have COVID. It's a miracle that the original Aka to Blue ever released to the public, let alone get a nice arcade remake.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Cmon. If you are in denial that this is poor workmanship than they are fully enabled to carry on in this fashion.

Whats gonna happen with deathsmiles. Perhaps no sound in a mode or a fatal crash bug but hey thanks livewire.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

defected78 wrote:Cmon. If you are in denial that this is poor workmanship than they are fully enabled to carry on in this fashion.

Whats gonna happen with deathsmiles. Perhaps no sound in a mode or a fatal crash bug but hey thanks livewire.
Livewire isn't even involved in the Deathsmiles port?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

StarCreator wrote:
defected78 wrote:Cmon. If you are in denial that this is poor workmanship than they are fully enabled to carry on in this fashion.

Livewire isn't even involved in the Deathsmiles port?
Nope, City Connection is.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!