Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPM

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by SPM »

No mention of online leaderboards... that doesn't look promising (we might end up without them in all these ports)

But everything else is great :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

This is looking pretty much like the 360 version. Gonna assume that Omake Mode is an unlockable and that the tutorial glitch will only be possible in Arcade Mode (not Normal Mode).
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Which is more prone to suffer from additional input lag, the 360 or the Switch? The latter is more powerful obviously, but it seems it's always a step below?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Which is more prone to suffer from additional input lag, the 360 or the Switch? The latter is more powerful obviously, but it seems it's always a step below?
They're pretty comparable, and it really just comes down to who did the port. Futari on the 360 has ~2 frames of lag, while Saidaioujou has ~5. Same thing on the Switch where games like Ikaruga and Cotton Reboot come in around 2 to 3, while the Psikyo ports are in the ~5 range.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Interesting that the Switch is able to at least reach 360's figures somehow, thanks. The 360 versions will always have the advantage of CRT usage if wanted, though. Not just for better response, but for full screen gaming.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

I've been waiting for this time for a long time ... A popular shooting game at the arcade has arrived on Nintendo Switch™ !
eShop store page is now up: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/e ... ii-switch/

Got my retro-bit Saturn pad and my USB→USB-C adapter dongle so I can balance my Switch Lite in tate position on my lap, all hunched over like some kind of caveman. My body is ready.

EDIT: Been a while since I've dusted off the 360 but it looks like all the modes are there? One of the menu screenshots shows Normal, Black, Arrange, Novice, Arcade(?), and Omake!, with one more I can't make out/remember.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Any signs of physical releases for these? Have 360 DFK (albeit without DL Arrange) and Espgaluda II but I've only Mushi on Steam.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

They've been asked many times, and the answer is pretty consistently "we'd like to do it and we're thinking about it but nothing concrete to say". If it happens I guess we'll see it from a niche publisher like Limited Run. https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 2870295565
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Warp_Rattler wrote:EDIT: Been a while since I've dusted off the 360 but it looks like all the modes are there? One of the menu screenshots shows Normal, Black, Arrange, Novice, Arcade(?), and Omake!, with one more I can't make out/remember.
Pretty sure that's Novice Black Label. Seems like a pretty straight port of the 360 release.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Warp_Rattler wrote:
I've been waiting for this time for a long time ... A popular shooting game at the arcade has arrived on Nintendo Switch™ !
eShop store page is now up: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/e ... ii-switch/
The Engrish here is approaching SNK levels. The entry for Mushi was far more subdued: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/m ... ma-switch/
RealPlumpBox

Post by RealPlumpBox »

Is it not for sale yet? I don't have the option to purchase.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

RealPlumpBox wrote:Is it not for sale yet? I don't have the option to purchase.
Not yet. Nintendo stagger releases throughout the day on their download service. As of my typing this, there are still 10 games schedule to hit the service today that are listed as upcoming.
RealPlumpBox

Post by RealPlumpBox »

Kiken wrote:
RealPlumpBox wrote:Is it not for sale yet? I don't have the option to purchase.
Not yet. Nintendo stagger releases throughout the day on their download service. As of my typing this, there are still 10 games schedule to hit the service today that are listed as upcoming.
Huh I didn't know that they I'd that. Learn something new everyday, thanks.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Picked it up on the UK eshop earlier today. Leaderboard is not an option in the menu, unlike Mushi, where the Leaderboard option is there but inoperable. I live in hope of leaderboards at some point.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Kiken wrote:
Warp_Rattler wrote:
The Engrish here is approaching SNK levels. The entry for Mushi was far more subdued: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/m ... ma-switch/
Though it makes a point that Novice mode is for novice players/beginners.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I like that there's tate option + the ability to remove the wallpaper & resize the screen to one's liking.

Too bad there's no online leaderboard support from the get-go.

Will Live Wire add online leaderboard support/functionality for it's upcoming Switch Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu release?

It'd be nice if Live Wire were to port DDP-SDOJ to the Switch gaming platform as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

feels good to be able to play espgaluda II without having to bust out the 360, but yes... leaderboards pls
a creature... half solid half gas
RealPlumpBox

Post by RealPlumpBox »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I like that there's tate option + the ability to remove the wallpaper & resize the screen to one's liking.

Will Live Wire add online leaderboard support/functionality for it's upcoming Switch Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu release?

It'd be nice if Live Wire were to port DDP-SDOJ to the Switch gaming platform as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Do you increase screen size to 150%? Or do you stretch it to fit the entire screen via the X/Y?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

RealPlumpBox wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I like that there's tate option + the ability to remove the wallpaper & resize the screen to one's liking.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Do you increase screen size to 150%? Or do you stretch it to fit the entire screen via the X/Y?
For RealPlumpBox,

I just use the 150% increased screen size + smoothing turned off for best results.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Bought it. Again. (Have the 360 version as well).

Espgaluda II is an awesome game, but goddamn is it difficult. Still with music and visuals this cool its worth an attempt.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Lots of fun menu typos and engrish in this one. Gameplay seems intact.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

This game is nice. Only played two stages so far, but I could see it getting very addictive. My Cave backlog is getting deep. Going to knock out Progear amd Esp Ra De before tackling this one.
To Far Away Times wrote:Bought it. Again. (Have the 360 version as well).

Espgaluda II is an awesome game, but goddamn is it difficult. Still with music and visuals this cool its worth an attempt.
Definitely difficult, and although I only played two stages, I was kind of surprised it ranks higher than Ketsui on the difficulty list. Maybe it really ramps up in the later levels.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

To Far Away Times wrote:Bought it. Again. (Have the 360 version as well).

Me too (buying again and having the 360 version). Nice that two Esp games (esprade and espgaluda 2) are now on Switch.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

What's the easiest mode here after Novice?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

For 20 buckaroos, I picked up ESPGaluda II as well. I've been brushing up on GaijinPunch's ST thread, but I don't know how 'up to date' it is. Watching a few replays as well but for a novice like myself a lot of the game's mechanics are obscured from me (namely, the alternative slowdown mode, and the two different types of red bullet modes).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's understandable. I think it probably took me ten years to really "get" it. When I originally got the X360 port it just made me not want to play the game :P
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

there's stgweekly #96 which covers espgaluda II as just another resource (it's pretty entertaining)
https://youtu.be/IPW6C9jyeYw
a creature... half solid half gas
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This is the one Cave game (well other than Guwange) that just never really clicked for me. I actually have the 360 LE sitting on my desk as a reminder to get back to it someday.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
kuze

Post by kuze »

Warp_Rattler wrote: EDIT: Been a while since I've dusted off the 360 but it looks like all the modes are there? One of the menu screenshots shows Normal, Black, Arrange, Novice, Arcade(?), and Omake!, with one more I can't make out/remember.
Yeah Omake mode is available on Switch and unlocks by clearing the game (you can clear it on Novice to get it easily).

I had never played Omake! version before but I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Nice to see another great port on the Switch!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

The audio is a mess in this version, particularly explosions. One of the worst offenders is the stage 3 midboss... when the first form is destroyed the noise is insane (with headphones at medium volume this explosion is ear-splitting)!

Just like on the 360 version, the tutorial glitch can only be used in Arcade mode.