Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
defected78

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by defected78 »

Sound is fixed on espgaluda 2. Arrange soundtrack.

Good job. People had a pop at me for even stating the bug and now here we are sorted cos I know they read here.

Good job.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The developers probably don't read this forum. They almost certainly got reports from their actual playerbase, i.e. people actually in Japan.
banjoted wrote:I've worked in games for nearly 20 years, and across two different disciplines. In both, myself and my peers were largely hated by our audience, or at least by the vocal few we heard from most frequently. And it's fucking exhausting.
It's a vicious cycle. Higher-ups tend to have absolute contempt for the people who buy things from their company, while the actual employees get outright screamed at and/or threatened about either things the higher-ups were responsible for or things that just don't fucking matter that much (see: recent posts in this thread), plus there are entirely too many people out there trying to tell us that higher-ups should be paid significantly more + have greater job security for doing significantly less.

Absolutely nothing about the industry works. It is sheer luck, not any sort of planning or research, that has gotten us to the point we're at now.
jehu wrote:P.S. I don't want to jump into the side-convo except to say that hearing someone call Puppeteer mediocre makes me sad. But we've just seen a fundamental challenge to the concept of mediocrity as such, so maybe you'all're operating on planes of abstraction too distant from me - who finds a modest kind of joy in digital puppet shows.
Missed this, sorry. I think this "modest kind of joy" should be respected a little more than it is. People are too concerned about finding the bestest games that have ever existed in any dimension, and there's just no fucking point in that, because again people tend to be wrong about what is or isn't good anyway.
Last edited by Despatche on Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

It's great to see LiveWire back within regulatory compliance.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Mushi sound fx are still fucked. Stage 5 pitcher plants sound like shit. Stage 3 explosions sound like shit.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Mushi sound fx are still fucked. Stage 5 pitcher plants sound like shit. Stage 3 explosions sound like shit.
I think the most recent patch notes say they are aware of the issue but a solution is still being worked on.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

StarCreator wrote:
WeedyRainfall wrote:Mushi sound fx are still fucked. Stage 5 pitcher plants sound like shit. Stage 3 explosions sound like shit.
I think the most recent patch notes say they are aware of the issue but a solution is still being worked on.
Oh ok good to know

Seems weird. All this stuff was fine on release
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Has anyone heard any updates about leaderboards being activated for Mushihimesama?
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

They patched Mushi today. Did a full run and didn’t get the sound glitching.
SPM

Post by SPM »

They also removed the "leaderboards" option. Looks like we're not getting them after all...
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Hero of Legend

Post by Hero of Legend »

JP patch notes for all three:

https://live-wire-cstg.blogspot.com/202 ... -post.html

Anyone want to provide proper translations for all of them when able please? Thanks! :)
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

Fight war not wars
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

So, I have a friend who is getting into shmups and is looking to pick up one of these three (they want to dip their toe into cave) and they asked which is the most bang for the buck. I have my opinion but I'm afraid I may be biasing towards my personal favorite. I terms of accessibility for a newer player, I'm kind of ruling out Espgaluda for them for now and looking between mushi and DDP......

I just want to hear others opinions on which of these two packages has more bang for the buck.

(I personally don't have the switch versions of these but I assume they mirror the 360/Steam versions in terms of modes and such so my option is based on those)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mushi is probably the most straightforward of them. I'm more familiar with Futari, but I think both of them represent a really good default standard for Cave STGs.
EspGaluda 2 has the slowdown of Kakusei mode which can make it more approachable for newcomers, but if you really want to push the score system it gets super obscure, and the game is a lot harder than the first Galuda game (which on the other hand is a perfect game to start out with Cave). It might be easier to bounce off on the game compared to Mushi, but I think you could still do hell a lot worse.
Some people might prefer DFK to the others but I always thought that game was really confusing. :3

In terms of pure "bang for your buck", Mushi has three default modes built into the game, which means Novice Mode and Arrange Mode each come with three variations as well. But I think DFK probably has the more interesting Black Label and Arrange versions.

At the end of the day you probably can't go wrong with either of the three.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

DFK would be my pick. VERY friendly to new players, as a pure survival clear of the vanilla mode is perhaps the easiest of any vert Cave put out. Beyond that, there's loads of extra modes and other layers of scoring and difficulty to dig into once that part is mastered.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Thanks guys... appreciate the replies. Let's keep em coming...

(Just to clarify though...I'm talking purely bang for the buck as I've already ruled out espg based on where they are in their moment of discovery....mushi and DDP should be an easy cave entry point for them based on other stgs that have clicked with them.....espg is probably best reserved for when they have more experience)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

seiatsu wrote:So, I have a friend who is getting into shmups and is looking to pick up one of these three (they want to dip their toe into cave) and they asked which is the most bang for the buck.
If we're talking Switch, strongly recommend Rolling Gunner if they want a CAVE style bullet hell game. Alternatively, the Aleste Collection is amazing too, you've got 5 games in 1.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

seiatsu wrote:So, I have a friend who is getting into shmups and is looking to pick up one of these three (they want to dip their toe into cave) and they asked which is the most bang for the buck. I have my opinion but I'm afraid I may be biasing towards my personal favorite. I terms of accessibility for a newer player, I'm kind of ruling out Espgaluda for them for now and looking between mushi and DDP......

I just want to hear others opinions on which of these two packages has more bang for the buck.

(I personally don't have the switch versions of these but I assume they mirror the 360/Steam versions in terms of modes and such so my option is based on those)
DDP DFK is more beginner friendly with the autobomb, but Mushi is a better designed game and also has better art and music.
davyK

Post by davyK »

DDP DFK has a mountain of content. There's a pile of modes available and the ship styles add further variety. It does look intimidating though - right from the start you can barely see the background with all the bullets and lasers going off. But the player has plenty of resources (with hypers and bombs) when going for 1CCs. Certain ship styles give auto bombs too.

Mushi has plenty of modes too (though not as many as DFK) - but I think it is a bit more approachable and conventional looking (you can see the backgrounds in Original mode!!). Normal - Original is a good place to start (falling back to Novice if need be). It's tighter on resources though - only 1 extra life is available and nothing like hypers or auto-bombing.

DFK on 360 (Resurrection in PAL) doesn't have the BL Arrange mode (aka KetsuiPachi). The Steam port does so I presume the Switch one will too.
Last edited by davyK on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

DDP: DFK is definitely on the easier side for a Cave game. I would say 1.5 is second to the Deathsmiles games in terms of how easy a 1cc is. But I wouldn't say it is great for beginners since I feel like it is a game that kind of teaches bad habits. Compensating for an absurd amount of bullets and obstacles with being able to be hit a billion times I feel doesn't translate to teaching great fundamentals. Deathsmiles and Mushi are probably better starts for beginners.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Agree with the above post.

DFK is almost a "joke" shmup as it takes everything to the max. It's amazing it holds together as an enjoyable game as it is so gloriously over the top. Its heavy focus on hypers makes it that bit different from most other Cave games.
miwa

Post by miwa »

The preorder window for Espgaluda 2 opens this Friday, July 15th:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/coming-soon
jehu

Post by jehu »

miwa wrote:The preorder window for Espgaluda 2 opens this Friday, July 15th:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/coming-soon
Don't get me wrong, I'm sickgrabbing the standard edition all day - but am I the only one who thinks they could have chosen better art for the SE cover?

Also, Mushi is shipping soon as per an email I got from LRG a couple days ago.
Steven

Post by Steven »

jehu wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm sickgrabbing the standard edition all day - but am I the only one who thinks they could have chosen better art for the SE cover?
It is definitely not a great choice, but I'm more interested in the Engrish near the bottom of the page:
Three characters with different attack characteristics

Novice mode prepared for beginners and arrangement mode prepared exclusively for the home version

Highly reproducible arcade mode and high-quality game mode

Simultaneous recording of new game rules and a black label version developed by another added girl

Screen setting options that can be enjoyed in vertical mode

Sounds that color the game world, created by Manabu Namiki and other sound creators who are highly regarded around the world.
What the heck does "Simultaneous recording of new game rules and a black label version developed by another added girl" even mean? That's like some Zero Wing-level shit.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Steven wrote:
jehu wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm sickgrabbing the standard edition all day - but am I the only one who thinks they could have chosen better art for the SE cover?
It is definitely not a great choice, but I'm more interested in the Engrish near the bottom of the page:
Three characters with different attack characteristics

Novice mode prepared for beginners and arrangement mode prepared exclusively for the home version

Highly reproducible arcade mode and high-quality game mode

Simultaneous recording of new game rules and a black label version developed by another added girl

Screen setting options that can be enjoyed in vertical mode

Sounds that color the game world, created by Manabu Namiki and other sound creators who are highly regarded around the world.
What the heck does "Simultaneous recording of new game rules and a black label version developed by another added girl" even mean? That's like some Zero Wing-level shit.
LOL, they literally just ran the marketing copy from Livewire's product page through Google Translate. It gives that exact translation.

What it actually says:

新しいゲームルール、そして追加されたもう1人の少女により展開されるブラックレーベル版を同時収録

New game rules, and at the same time expanded Black Label mode by adding another girl.

収録 is one of those words that translates awkwardly; Google's not wrong, it literally does mean 'record,' but in the context of said program data being recorded on the ROM. It's used constantly in Japanese gaming descriptions. I've elided it here because unless I'm misreading the sentence, it becomes redundant in the shift to English grammar.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Put in my order for Espgaluda 2. Can't wait for its arrival sometime in late 2024.

On another note, one of the guys from LRG is doing an AMA on Reddit now. Most people are cordial, but some are digging into him pretty hard.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Got notification that my copy of Mushi for Switch is in the post.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

davyK wrote:Got notification that my copy of Mushi for Switch is in the post.
Good for you. Didn't get mine.

I have limited physicals that were preordered October last year and haven't arrived yet. I have decided not to buy anymore although peer pressure to buy some of the shmups will likely sway me. They should take the money when it ships not a year in advance thats ridiculous.

I prefer the Evercade format of console. At least you can buy the stuff locally, maybe they will release a Cave cartridge at some point.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Yea I got the collectors version, I think and I haven't received anything yet. Paid for it in November 2021. Never "pre-ordered" a game 8 months in advance, but I'll see how it goes. Also did the same for Crimson Clover and their page says "in progress" "expected Q4".
davyK

Post by davyK »

I just ordered the standard edition. Tat doesn't interest me any more. I'd rather they did physical manuals. :(

The only other two I'm currently interested in is DFK and Tetris Effect for Switch.

Re the delays I reckon they wait for patching to finish. I can't even remember when I pre-ordered - was pretty much straight away when it was available to order). I have Mushi on Steam so this really is for collecting. I have DFK and Tetris Effect on Steam too (+ DFK on 360 - but it doesn't have BL Arrange and I fancy having a complete version on cart).