SHMUPS - Those Worthy of Resurrection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ASilver76

SHMUPS - Those Worthy of Resurrection

Post by ASilver76 »

Hello all. I've got a question for everyone here, and would appreciate any and all input.

Namely, what seemingly forgotten, maligned, or overlooked SHMUPS on any platform do you think deserve to be brought back into the sphere of public consciousness, and why?
Samildanach

Re: SHMUPS - Those Worthy of Resurrection

Post by Samildanach »

I would pay top dollar for a complete Thunder Force Collection. M2 have already done the work for the popular III, AC and IV, so they are half way there. HD versions of V and VI as well as BOTH versions of II (they are notably different to play even on the similar levels) would do me nicely.
The original game is a bit archaic, but it would be nice to include a version, just from a historical perspective.
Finally ThunderSpirits I guess would be the least likely prospect since it wasn't ported by Tecnosoft, so Sega may not have the rights to that version. No great loss really.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I saw this and immediately thought of Thunderforce as well.

There's a bunch of PC Engine games that get overlooked too. Solider Blade, Spriggan, Gate of Thunder (basically Thunderforce III part 2), and Sapphire all come highly recommended but there are a bunch more good ones.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

These days I'd suggest other than Darius practically all the old classics need resurrecting. Even R-TYPE 3, Leo, Delta, and Final 1 need some modern representation.

Speaking of Tecnosoft have Elemental Master, Blast Wind, and Hyper Duel added to any Thunderforce collection.

Gradius needs a proper collection (with Gradius V) and a new game. While Konami is at it put out Hudson shooters like Air Zonk and Air Zonk 2.

Get Naxat Soft's Coryoon and Nexzr available somwhwere while I'm thinking of Air Zonk.

Put all of Compile's library out including all versions of ZANAC and their PC-Engine stuff like Sylphia.

Dragon Saber's arcade version hasn't been ported to a home console since 1997 on the Japanese PS1.

Would also be nice if Capcom could strike up a licensing deal to get Area 88/UN Squadron added to their Stadium collection.
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Gaiares, cos it's brill.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Takumi games:

I'd love to see Giga Wing Generations and Night Raid revived. In particular, I've tried emulation Night Raid AC, and I need to run it with 50% frameskip or so to get full speed, and I can't seem to find a working iso of the Playstation Port. GWG I haven't been able to download a CHD for because it's giant, so I have no idea how that runs in MAME, nor have I been able to figure out TTX loader to try to play it that way. I haven't ever tried emulating PS2, but that port doesn't have full screen vertical mode, IIRC.

Might as well add Giga Wing 2 to that list, though the iso (of the DC version) is much easier to find, and I've been able to get very acceptable lag in the RA Flycast core, as well as the fact that GDemu (and similar) exist for those who have an actual Dreamcast (regardless of whether the GD-rom drive is still functional). Ideally, it would be more accessible than that, though.

By comparison, Mars Matrix is pretty accessible with nearly perfect CPS2 emulation, albeit with too much lag for my taste, but you can avoid that with shmupMAME or the RA FBNeo core (with runahead). Giga Wing is much the same, but with more acceptable lag in current MAME (with low latency on). It also technically has a port to several modern systems (My computer can't handle it though, sadly)

The DC port of Mars Matrix is one that I'd really like a modern port of (note: I was not able to get the lag within an acceptable range for myself in RA/Flycast). The merits of this over the (more accessible) AC are obviously that it doesn't counterstop and the auto piercing cannon makes the game much more approachable to beginners.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
davyK

Post by davyK »

Parodius, Parodius, Parodius. New games though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah, I've never managed to play Giga Wing Generations, so that would be a biggie for me.
I'd love ports of Giga Wing 2 and Border Down, but I guess I can forget about the latter completely.
Fingers crossed for R-Type Leo on AA.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Armed Police Batrider.

IMO the finest shmup ever released on arcades.... and criminally... never saw any other release.

I was discussing about this a couple of days ago. One of the finest shmups ever made that will ending up being forgotten because it's not re-released every damn 3 years like Ikaruga or whatever. (Well, at least it keeps getting well placed on the yearly polls here :D)

-

Other than that... I am glad there was an Aleste compilation recently though the best games of the series weren't there. So I'll say, Zanac.

Zanac Neo is a frigging masterpiece which deserves more praise, and then you have the NES and MSX games which are excellent too. The original Zanac was seldom played by people outside MSX users from the day, and it's a very good game.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Einhander 8)
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

I'd get a kick out of a new Axelay. With better vertical stages.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Blue Wish Resurrection
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

sunnshine wrote:Gaiares, cos it's brill.
Looks like its happening.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/stat ... 7255570432

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

From rad to dad, my lads
Chrome Head

Post by Chrome Head »

This forum needs a like / upvote button.

Love Gaiares.
To Far Away Times

That is an incredible bit of marketing. I love it.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Mr. Bunker needs to regrow the mullet.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Rastan78 wrote:Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons
Seconded! In general, Kaneko games need to make a comeback, and somehow they need to be licensed for ACA ports, at a bare minimum. Cyvern and Air Buster would be awesome to have more access to.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Cyvern's a neat game. Its charge shot mechanics and less dense, but faster bullet designs give it a very Psikyo feel... but with a far better medal system than in Psikyo games and generally less punishing enemies. There's a lot of extends you can get by scoring, too. Also, cybernetic dragons are neat.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Cyvern's a neat game. Its charge shot mechanics and less dense, but faster bullet designs give it a very Psikyo feel... but with a far better medal system than in Psikyo games and generally less punishing enemies. There's a lot of extends you can get by scoring, too. Also, cybernetic dragons are neat.
Yeah, it sort of has a Psikyo meets Raizing kind of feel to it, but still enough uniqueness to stand on its own.
dark

Post by dark »

Hm, since very few long running or esoteric shmups games from the 90s or early 00s have gotten any sequels in the last 11 years, I could easily put in a lengthy list of 10 or 20 of my favorite shmups that I think ought to be revived.

When's the last time we got an update to Galaga though, there have been a few over the decades, but I think maybe the last one was Galaga Arrange as part of the 3 in 1 namco games arcade rom? Galaga has a fun formula to it and it would be nice to have another one.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Way too many popular picks in here.

Where Sanvein.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
donluca

Post by donluca »

Mortificator wrote:Blue Wish Resurrection
This.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

davyK wrote:Parodius, Parodius, Parodius. New games though.
Last time somebody said this prayer we got Otomedius, watch out.
heli

Post by heli »

Samildanach wrote:I would pay top dollar for a complete Thunder Force Collection.
5 and 6 on 1 disc is good for me, the rest emulates fine.
Mail M2 to hurry.
LordHypnos wrote: The DC port of Mars Matrix is one that I'd really like a modern port of (note: I was not able to get the lag within an acceptable range for myself in RA/Flycast).
Indeed then you wont have to smash buttons or try to configure something impossible in the emulators.
We need a modern port, M2 moves to slow to copy the ROMS to PS4, i not gonna play arcade button smashing,
i love this game the most for a YOKO game, only i cant win yet, they dont make anything like this anymore, only passive-movie-type-games that you always win.
Marc wrote:I'd love ports of Giga Wing 2 and Border Down, but I guess I can forget about the latter completely.
Border-down (DC) runs pretty good on my raspi400, just the boss explosion stutters a bit.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

donluca wrote:
Mortificator wrote:Blue Wish Resurrection
This.
Y'all know Blue Wish Desire is a thing right.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Liquidus0

Post by Liquidus0 »

Space Manbow - Konami - 1989 - MSX2 (Released digitally on mobile (Japan only), Wii VC (Japan only) and Wii U VC (Japan only).

A true gem from Konami. A horizontal shmup with some vertical scrolling sections (Not stages that are altering between hori and vert like Salamander. Ship shoots like a hori shmup all game long. Think of Deathsmiles to use a modern example).

It looks incredible for the time it was release. Sound is great (thanks to the Konami SCC). Gameplay is tight. Challenge is decent, somewhat easy maybe ?

One of the most enjoyable 8 bit shmup IMO.

Better enjoyed on a MSX2+ or TurboR which can mask the borders to provide smooth scrolling :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmXWR9kWvhs

1CC from Neo_Antwon :

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/627333287
jehu

Post by jehu »

I'm going to post my ideas on this post. Ikaruga 2, Mars Matrix 2: Hyper Solid Shooting 2, Blazing Gunner 2, Gunbird 2, Trouble Mania 3: Girlfriends for Life, Metal Blacker, Eliminate Up, and Eliminate Sideways. Thank you.
To Far Away Times

Mushi Futari 2: Futari Harder

2 Mushi 2 Futari