G-Mode Archives+: Dodonpachi Daioujou DX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Warp_Rattler

Re: G-Mode Archives+: Dodonpachi Daioujou DX

Post by Warp_Rattler »

So is anybody here spending much time with this at all? I finally fired it up a few weeks ago and it's been surprisingly fun, but the leaderboards on the Steam version seem pretty sparse. I'm not great and am getting close to clearing Normal, but I'm struck by how smooth the difficulty curve is from Easy-Normal-Hard-Special. In most of the recent Cave console/PC ports, there's a pretty big leap between the Novice modes and standard arcade difficulty where I can walk through Novice but still hit a wall somewhere in Stage 3 or 4; this feels a lot more incremental.

Really weird question, though: I've noticed that the stages and items (stars, badges, bees) all have a bluish tint to them and figured it was just part of the design differentiating the mobile version from the original. But then I noticed some of the user videos uploaded to Steam feature the normal DOJ orange-ish color palette (with point items and bees colored gold, etc.). I've looked all through the settings and such to see if I can find the cause of this but nothing seems obviously connected. It's absolutely baffling--has anyone else noticed this (or do you have any idea what's going on)?

EDIT: Okay that last thing isn't any sort of special mode or anything like that--apparently my video card decided to invert the colors when running the game at fullscreen. Taking screenshots in Steam or switching to windowed mode fixes this. Really weird glitch and it's the only game I've ever experienced this with, but apparently it's something that hits other AMD users occasionally, or something.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I've played a bit of it - 1CCed on default easily but realised that the default is set to easy!!..

Haven't played much more but it's a fun little diversion on Steam. Impressive for an old mobile game.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Danmaku Kentei Shiken: Dai-Ou-Jou-Hen (or however it is spelled; I've seen 3 or 4 variations :mrgreen:) is out now on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815030/GMODE/
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

I wonder if they expect this to sell well. I mean surely developers realize that demand for an actual port of DOJ white & black label is much better received then some flip phone game?!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Haddock wrote:I wonder if they expect this to sell well. I mean surely developers realize that demand for an actual port of DOJ white & black label is much better received then some flip phone game?!
Yeah, but it's just about what they have the rights to and the source code for. The only full ports of DOJ we have are by Arika and 5pb, and neither of those are making any moves, so it's likely up to someone to do a fresh port (M2 please!) in the future.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

How many times do we have to go over that the developers of this port specifically do ports of flip phone games. This is their niche, this is what they do.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

trap15 wrote:How many times do we have to go over that the developers of this port specifically do ports of flip phone games. This is their niche, this is what they do.
Well it looks like you're the one bringing it up yet again, so apparently you need to go over it again :wink:

I am quite aware of that situation, I was merely stating that I am surprised that we haven't seen any DOJ news on any modern system as of yet. It's a shame since there is no definitive version for what is widely considered a great game. Oh well, we'll see what M2 or LiveWire might pick up on.

I can't deny being frustrated hearing so much hype about DOJ and not having a japanese PS2 (not even bothering with the 360 port), opening my switch and seeing DOJ and getting all giddy, only to find out it's a flip phone game hehe. In the meantime I'm happy with MAME..
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

DOJ would sell like crap on Steam, stop pretending it wouldn't.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Apparently G Mode also owns the rights to most of Data East's arcade stuff. Since there have been Data East ports from Johnny Turbo's (meh), ACA, and announced but missing in action from M2, I guess that means they are not too stingy with these licenses. So that's cool at least.

Some guys at M2 have always had a hig hard on for Edward Randy, so I bet we'll see that one some day. Maybe not anytime soon but eventually.
Haddock wrote:I wonder if they expect this to sell well. I mean surely developers realize that demand for an actual port of DOJ white & black label is much better received then some flip phone game?!
I'm sure it made financial sense for them to port these flip phone games from their catalogue to modern systems, albeit at a low price point. Otherwise they wouldn't have done a whole bunch of them. No doubt they weren't super expensive to produce.
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, it's fuckin M2 Prez himself with the hardon for Randy (AND Boogie Wings), a fact I treasure. :cool:

I see some numbnuts' Heavy Barrel is on UK PSN for cheap, but you know what? I can just about tolerate SNK40th's shitty-ass LS30 emulation, for the masterpiece that is SEARCH AND RESCUE. Because it at least attempts snap-aim, even if it locks up randomly. Apparently, that "GR8 RETRO HITZ LMAO" Heavy Barrel is button-turn only.

You need the full spectrum:

1) button turn, manual (precision shot)
2) button turn, rapid (spraying fire)
3) right stick snap-aim

For an LS30-comparable experience. Otherwise? You're gonna itch, and bitch, and scream in pain, as if ur life is just a losing game 3;

So I said FUCK EM. Image Roll on M2+Hamster, do full justice to HB aka DECO's literal fuckin stolen Ikari bootleg that launched an entire new epoch in rotary topdown run/gun! :cool:
Last edited by BIL on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

That man is totally randy for Randy.

Wasn't there something on Hamster's twitter about some prototypes for alternate arcade control scheme devices for ACA? Maybe they're just testing the waters rn. Maybe they're inspired by the the new control types for the Egret mini? Or just trying to keep up with the Joneses?

Either way ACA alternate controls, track ball etc? That would be next level.

Speaking of:
https://youtu.be/Uf_DoJzCG7c

I got totally mesmerized by this vid of a cute Gmilf dominating some bouncing balls with her paddle.

Edit: Nintendolife just put out a nice write up on the G-Mode Archives series. Reading this might provide some context for butt hurt Cave fan boys who bristle at the mere existence of this port.

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/j ... r-heard-of
UD2

Post by UD2 »

Rastan78 wrote: Speaking of:

I got totally mesmerized by this vid of a cute Gmilf dominating some bouncing balls with her paddle.
Fun fact: that's the third (but longest running) Japanese voice actress for Doraemon.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:That man is totally randy for Randy.

Wasn't there something on Hamster's twitter about some prototypes for alternate arcade control scheme devices for ACA? Maybe they're just testing the waters rn. Maybe they're inspired by the the new control types for the Egret mini? Or just trying to keep up with the Joneses?

Either way ACA alternate controls, track ball etc? That would be next level.
Oh yeah, I do vaguely recall them retweeting Hori... damn, that would indeed be amazing. :o Get Hori to produce specialty controllers for LS30, Taito spinner etc, then patch support into the older ACAs, while going full steam ahead on the new. Image
UD2 wrote:
Rastan78 wrote: Speaking of:

Fun fact: that's the third (but longest running) Japanese voice actress for Doraemon.
Japan is still amazing Image