G-Mode Archives+: Dodonpachi Daioujou DX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Oniros

G-Mode Archives+: Dodonpachi Daioujou DX

Post by Oniros »

Official website: https://gmodecorp.com/gmodearchives/cav ... daioujodx/
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOxDynIn928
Eshop link: https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/soft ... 40203.html

Game is out today with a 10% launch discount (450 yen total). I'm reading this has online leaderboards which for the price doesn't sound bad at all.

Forum moderation: Hey let’s keep it positive or at the very least offer civil and constructive criticism.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
trap15

Re: G-Mode Archives+: Dodonpachi Daioujou DX

Post by trap15 »

God game.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

A few tips:

You can unlock boss rush mode and the special difficulty by pressing the following keys at the "push select" screen:
Left Left Down Down Down Down Left Left Left Left
Lastly, press A and you should see messages about the unlocks (you can unlock them in other ways apparently, but this code makes it easy).

Also, the last boss is a bit different in each difficulty setting. As far as I know, there are no TLB requirements like in the arcade version.
Easy: No Hibachi (game ends at Kouryu)
Normal: Hibachi (takes damage from bombs - spam that B button!)
Hard: Hibachi (invulnerable to bombs, just like the arcade version)
Special: Shin Hibachi Kai (aka double hibachi - good luck!)

It's a really comfy game at normal difficulty - I'm enjoying it!
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Does anyone know off hand if you can use a US CC on a JP eShop account or do I need to grab some Japanese eShop point cards?
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Special difficulty looks pretty sick: https://twitter.com/A1NVERSE/status/1395053371518640132
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Johnpv wrote:Does anyone know off hand if you can use a US CC on a JP eShop account or do I need to grab some Japanese eShop point cards?
More than likely your US card won't work. IMO the easiest and most foolproof method is just to buy the Japanese points. I like to get a code emailed rather than wait for an actual card to ship.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Despite it being a very comprimised version, I'm surprised how much of the visual and audio presentation they managed to capture in this port. Still kinda plays like low quality poop, but at least there's some value here. I got a 1cc on Easy on the first try (which is the default difficulty,) but hard to say if I'll really dig into that much more
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Johnpv wrote:Does anyone know off hand if you can use a US CC on a JP eShop account or do I need to grab some Japanese eShop point cards?
You cannot. Points is the way to go.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I'm honestly surprised how decent this is. I had low expectations after the Zanac port, but I guess this is a few years newer and it definitely feels like it. Actually pretty playable, and the enemy placements/bullet patterns are pretty recognizable. It's obviously simplified but a lot of the core stuff is there. What this feels like to me is those 8-bit and 16-bit ports of arcade games from the early 90s. Yeah, it's not the arcade game, but you know that going in. I definitely recommend using the code to unlock the extra things, and playing on hard/special. Easy put me to sleep.

The menus are all in Japanese, so I don't think this is getting an international release anytime soon. Topolon and Zanac both had English menus day 1, so if this is missing them it suggest they're not planning to do it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Rastan78 wrote:
More than likely your US card won't work. IMO the easiest and most foolproof method is just to buy the Japanese points. I like to get a code emailed rather than wait for an actual card to ship.
I had been wanting an excuse to buy the Alfa System platformer spinoff of Sisters Royale (with the hard-to-google title Sisters Run), so it might be easier to convince myself of a 'bundle' purchase.

Finally, a DOJ port I can '1cc' :?
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Just snagged 1000 eshop points and purchased this. For the price, you can’t go wrong. Thanks for the heads up!
Last edited by Wittischism on Fri May 21, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I hope this does get localised or at least released globally, because it looks like a really good stab given the hardware.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I'm way out of the loop but what's the easiest way to get points for the eshop? I was thinking just doing ebay but is there a better way? Also, are there any other cool exclusive games on the JP eshop I should consider getting along with this?
guigui

Post by guigui »

steveovig wrote:I'm way out of the loop but what's the easiest way to get points for the eshop? I was thinking just doing ebay but is there a better way? Also, are there any other cool exclusive games on the JP eshop I should consider getting along with this?
I guess Play Asia is the best way to get JP eshop points.

I'd also be interested in a quick JP eshop only recommended list.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I dunno if I accidentally triggered something but it seems to run in slow motion?

Menu translations would be sick if anyone has seen any posted
a creature... half solid half gas
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

steveovig wrote:I'm way out of the loop but what's the easiest way to get points for the eshop? I was thinking just doing ebay but is there a better way? Also, are there any other cool exclusive games on the JP eshop I should consider getting along with this?
Play Asia has digital cards you can purchase for instant delivery.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I spent 45 minutes today making my first Japanese Switch profile, buying points on Play-Asia, and then locating and downloading this game today. I figured I was wasting my time, but this ends up being a fascinating archival piece from an alternate universe in which a GameBoy Color version of DDPDOJ not only existed, but was pretty good. The default Easy mode is beyond generous with extra lives and reduced patterns, but bumping it up to Normal reveals a more complex game than I expected at first. I would kill for an M2-style "no slowdown" mode to see what it would be like to play this at 60fps.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

G-Mode's next Cave port announced: Danmaku Kentei Shiken Dai-Ou-Jou-Hen, originally released for DoCoMo phones in 2006, part of a series of boss rush endurance tests. You pick a ship/element doll and stage, then fight an endless series of bosses that get harder and harder as you go, trying to go for a max score. This honestly looks pretty cool, I'm excited to give it a go. Some video from back in the day shows it looks pretty solid: https://youtu.be/iKvh7S7lMdc
Spoiler
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

And now Ketsui DX is on the way too, though no release date has been announced yet. Source. Website.

I didn't buy DOJ Hen, but I will get some JP eShop money to pick up Ketsui so I might grab that then too.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
slateman

Post by slateman »

I grabbed both DDP:DOJ and Ketsui last night. 1,000 points cost $11 on Play-Asia and creating a Japanese account was surprisingly simple for a Nintendo platform.

To preface: I friggin' LOVE DDP and feel DOJ is the best shmup ever. This truly is DOJ Lite. The visuals are clearly downgraded, but the audio suffers the most. Stage themes are present and easy to recognize and the boss BGM sounds tinny and...well...representative of the original hardware. To be perfectly honest, this is great. Shortcomings aside, it's so cool being able to play this title - which would otherwise be lost to the sands of time. The game runs slowly but each stage feels like it zips by and the Switch, which I don't particularly love, is a perfect platform for this type of title. Initially, I was put off by the rendition of DDP appearing on the Nintendo half-portable, but I'm so glad this exists.

Unfortunately, while there are leaderboards, I found myself at #92 on hard mode and I totally suck. I know DOJ, but I'm not particularly good. Guess I figured - for 500¥ - more people would've purchased it.

There are four difficulties (as posted by someone earlier). Easy is really quite basic and normal is right up my alley. The unlockable Special difficulty (I only know the code, not how to unlock it normally) appears to just be the second loop. = way beyond my skill level. (I'm at like #100 on that leaderboard too)

I can't imagine playing this rendition of the game back in 2005. It's just shocking how well this came out.

I'm less knowledgeable about Ketsui than DDP, but it runs about the same. There are only two standard difficulties instead of three and it's just as enjoyable as DDP. I need to spend some more time with it, but the contrast on bullets is a little hard to see on some occasions (same as the original, I suspect).

DOJ Hen isn't really my cup of tea, so I didn't get it, but it *is* cheap, so who knows. I've run a site on DDP (http://slateman.net/beestorm) for many years and I'd never even heard of DOJ Hen. The fact that this is available in 2021 is simply incredible.

For the cost and how easy it is to set up a Japanese account, there's no reason not to get this. For $5 USD, keep expectations tempered, but damn....I'm so stoked to own this. I recommend it highly despite it's watered-down nature.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Is anyone here able to describe/translate the stage select text and/or explain the conditions to meet to unlock all the stages in daioujou hen?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

DOJ DX is coming out for Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1751100/GMODE_DX/ No date yet, but probably pretty soon. It won't be translated in-game but it'll be available to buy anywhere, unlike the Switch version. This is the first non-RPG G-Mode Archives game to make it to Steam, which is pretty cool. Hoping it gets more variety from here.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Is anyone here able to describe/translate the stage select text and/or explain the conditions to meet to unlock all the stages in daioujou hen?
read
mojilove wrote:A few tips:

You can unlock boss rush mode and the special difficulty by pressing the following keys at the "push select" screen:
Left Left Down Down Down Down Left Left Left Left
Lastly, press A and you should see messages about the unlocks (you can unlock them in other ways apparently, but this code makes it easy).

Also, the last boss is a bit different in each difficulty setting. As far as I know, there are no TLB requirements like in the arcade version.
Easy: No Hibachi (game ends at Kouryu)
Normal: Hibachi (takes damage from bombs - spam that B button!)
Hard: Hibachi (invulnerable to bombs, just like the arcade version)
Special: Shin Hibachi Kai (aka double hibachi - good luck!)

It's a really comfy game at normal difficulty - I'm enjoying it!
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Elixir wrote:
read
i asked about daioujou hen, not the game that you are reposting information about. read.

does anyone know how to unlock the other stages in DAIOUJOU HEN, the boss rush game, the second release, not the first DOJ release with actual stages.
Uncle Taco

Post by Uncle Taco »

Just picked this up on Steam: is anyone else having control problems? I'm having my controls freeze and my ship fly off in random directions once in a while, which is obviously not great in a Donpachi game. I'm using a Hori Fighting Commander that hasn't ever given me problems before and works fine with every other game I try it on.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

The controls are fine for me. So at least it has that going for it...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I had a similar issue on switch and assumed my joycons were shit.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

I'm a bit salty about the forced Hibachi fight, cause Hard mode feels real good in general, but I don't think I'll bother going for 1CC when Hard Hibachi is as hard as it is...

Normal mode is a very easy clear, but Hard feels just right except for Hibachi :(

Very cool port.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

For any other Linux dorks out there, this doesn't seem to like running under Steam Play. It takes a while loading on my machine, a tiny window pops up for about half a minute with some Unity version as the title and an unlabled progress bar, and then everything closes and it's back to desktop. I guess I assumed it would work fine given that lots of other STGs are flawless for me (Deathsmiles, Mushi, Game Tengoku, Crimzon Clover WI...). It's going to be a while before I can overcome my laziness and boot into my Windows partition to play a keitai port...
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Coming out next on Steam, Danmaku Kentei Shiken: Dai-Ou-Jou-Hen:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815030/GMODE/