Space Warrior on Switch (StarKom)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
malc
Site Admin

Space Warrior on Switch (StarKom)

Post by malc »

Evening.

It's been a while since I posted something, thought would come out of my shell for a wee while.

This is really a post about a choice I made recently, when wanting to buy something new on the eshop on Switch.

Switch by the way, is my favourite modern console. Apart from some input-laggy titles that I refuse to play, it really is something else when it comes to Shmup releases. My lifestyle these days only really supports an occasional game on a handheld, so I'm pretty much glued to the thing.

Anyway, I was on the toilet (tmi?) and browsing the eshop, and saw Rtype Final 2. I decided, on the strength of the demo I'd previously played, that I wasn't about to plump the amount of cash demanded for it on it.

This however, is not a post about R-Type Final 2, and how I feel it is a bit of a disappointment (although I will pick it up on a sale).

It's about the choice I made instead - Starkom's Space Warrior.

It was under £5, so I thought, what the hell, let's get it, impulse buy, my free time is running out. I remembered it as a IAP heavy IOS title from years back, and thought it might play well with the IAPs ripped out. It's also now a horizontal, instead of vertical shooter, but simply rotated 90 degrees without any real change to design or gameplay.

Well that was a week or two ago, and it has become my most played title for ages - the balance of it is just right. The IAP style of play, grinding to get better ships and upgrades, and progressing by replaying levels is very reminiscent of the modern SKy Force titles, and indeed a whole lot of shovelware IAP heavy nonsense that clogs up the app store.

The weird thing is, it's not the best shmup I've ever played, far from it. But like Sky Force, there is something stupidly compulsive about the grinding progression.

There are 9 levels, each with three difficulty ratings, which have material differences in how they playe. Not just slightly harder - new enemies and attacks. Three ships (two to unlock) which change the playstyle - some shots can go through walls for instance, and the last ship has a great circular buzz saw invincibility attack. Sound os pretty poor though, the tunes aren't doing it for me. Graphics though, beautifully smooth and high definition, just as much going onscreen as Rtype Final 2, but a lot slicker - looks like 60fps to me. Well implemented analogue control helps too.

All in all thought, it did get me thinking, there are people dropping £50+ on Rtype, and there is this game sitting here for a TENTH of that, that seems like a much better game. Scratch that, it *IS* a much better game.

Weirdly though, it disappeared off the eshop a day after I downloaded it. I did notice that once it crashed, just once. And today, it got an update, and has reappeared on the eshop, but I can only find it by searching. It's not on the front page any more, so pretty invisible unless you know about it.

Anyway, highly recommended from me, especially for the price. Once you get all the ships, and a fair way into the levels, it really does play very well, fairly euroshmuppy, but am highly enjoying it. Very few reviews or news about it on the web, so a wee heads up from me.

bye - Malc
Bydobasher

Re: Space Warrior on Switch (StarKom)

Post by Bydobasher »

I will look this up right now! Thanks malc.