Thunder Dragon 1

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cave hermit

Thunder Dragon 1

Post by cave hermit »

Been playing Thunder Dragon 1 on my groovymame setup.

Ya know, I got into NMK games several years ago with Thunder Dragon 2 when trap15 began extolling NMK, and I kind of went along with it because at the time I kind of looked up to trap15, I didn't quite get what was so great about the games at heart.

I think now I realize it's just about the fast paced pure classic shooting gameplay, dodge fast bullets and hammer away at targets without worrying about arbitrary scoring systems. Just basic gameplat done right.

Thunder Dragon 1 is a game that when I first played it years ago after first playing Thunder Dragon 2, I immediately dismissed it as kinda crap based simply on the bgm and weird looking player ship.

Playing it again now, it is quite a good game in its own way, the bgm picks up as a song continues to go on, the player ship's shape is unorthodox in a cool way, the shooting and dodging is solid, just a good all around coin op experience.

Apparently there's a switch port now as well?

Mod edit: Removed offensive and extraneous subtitle
To Far Away Times

Re: Thunder Dragon 1: Can you eat Salisbury steak with your

Post by To Far Away Times »

That certainly is a subtitle.
Creamy Goodness

Re: Thunder Dragon 1: Can you eat Salisbury steak with your

Post by Creamy Goodness »

It is an okay game. I mostly play the ACA version. The music is okay, but the thing that kills me is the hitboxes on everything are so big. Ships are big, bullets are, etc. It makes dodging kind of a pain. TD2 is way better except for the annoying announcer.