The indie game dev Studio MDHR's working on a STG...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

The indie game dev Studio MDHR's working on a STG...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Just got my latest issue of Game Informer #335 today and on page 72, there's a short article titled "Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course" that's presented in it's entirety --

------------
Something vile is happening on Inkwell Isle, so the dynamic duo of Cuphead & Mugman might need a little help overcoming this new breed of dastardly villain. Enter Ms. Chalice, who joins the chaos in the DLC for Studio MDHR's brutal-yet-gorgeous side-scrolling shooter. Not only does Ms. Chalice have a few new moves & abilities, but fans will gain access to a host of additional weapons & charms as they journey through this co-op friendly adventure. Studio MDHR has been pretty dark (quiet) on the (stg) title since it slipped past it's originally (planned) 2020 release window, so hopefully we'll get an update soon.
------------

If you check out the "Art of Cuphead" hardcover book, it does mention about this 3rd new character, Ms. Chalice. Expect the usual lush watercolor painted background scenery (all done by hand) to accompany the beautifully hand-drawn animated sprites this second time around, indeed, but as a dedicated stg title. The Cuphead book references Treasure's RSG as one of a few stg titles that Studio MDHR looked at when creating the stg portions of the 1st Cuphead game. Considering that the corona virus pandemic put a lot of game devs into releasing their forthcoming game titles to a later date than originally anticipated, this applies to this newfangled Cuphead stg title as well. Should be well worth the wait (assuming if it's done properly).....

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
To Far Away Times

Re: The indie game dev Studio MDHR's working on a STG...

Post by To Far Away Times »

I hope it doesn't turn out Euroshmuppy.

I like Cuphead, its a cool game for what it is, but it really doesn't have arcade roots. Its hard to get a shmup right. Easy to make, hard to nail. We see a lot more failures than successes in this genre.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If Studio MDHR were to consult with some veteran stg players from various countries to beta test it to see if certain stages/mid & end stage bosses need tweaking, that'd be better. Yes, it does make me wonder just extactly what type of stg this new C:TDLC will be: cute'em up, danmaku, etc.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Wait isn't this just the new DLC levels coming for the original mostly run n gun Cuphead that was announced way back a few years ago? I'd assume if there are a few shmup style levels among the run n gun stuff they'll be very similar to what was already in the main game for better or worse.

https://youtu.be/sBMOXHrXJtI
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Rastan78 wrote:Wait isn't this just the new DLC levels coming for the original mostly run n gun Cuphead that was announced way back a few years ago? I'd assume if there are a few shmup style levels among the run n gun stuff they'll be very similar to what was already in the main game for better or worse.

https://youtu.be/sBMOXHrXJtI
Yeah, Delicious Last Course is not a standalone game, just a whole new world for the original Cuphead game, which will surely have a few STG levels in it just like every world in the first game. (Delicious Last Course is a pun for DLC...)
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:If Studio MDHR were to consult with some veteran stg players from various countries to beta test it to see if certain stages/mid & end stage bosses need tweaking, that'd be better. Yes, it does make me wonder just extactly what type of stg this new C:TDLC will be: cute'em up, danmaku, etc.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I would be surprised if people who want an arcade-style experience would be their target market. I'm not convinced the millions of people outside relatively small communities like this are really interested in that. I'm not even certain the kind of razor sharp gameplay it would require would work very well with their art-style.

Cuphead wasn't trying to be Metal Slug (for example). It just took a little inspiration from games like Metal Slug and wrapped it in a more mass-market shell. I'm fairly sure that's what will happen here.

I don't personally think that means they deserve to burn in hell, though I know some people will disagree :D
qmish

Post by qmish »

To Far Away Times wrote:I hope it doesn't turn out Euroshmuppy.

I like Cuphead, its a cool game for what it is, but it really doesn't have arcade roots. Its hard to get a shmup right. Easy to make, hard to nail. We see a lot more failures than successes in this genre.
What's crazy, is that Cuphead is among things that normies think about when asked about bullethells. Together with Enter the Gungeon and Undertale.
:cry:

"shmups? what's that?"