Star Hawk (Gameboy) Limited Run Games Re-release

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Samildanach

Star Hawk (Gameboy) Limited Run Games Re-release

Post by Samildanach »

Since this is a shmup forum I guess it is appropriate to bring up this re-release of Star Hawk for the Gameboy:

https://www.limitedrungames.com/collect ... tarhawk-gb

I bought the game when it was released back in the day and, I can assure you, it sits as one of the weakest shmups that the Gameboy has to offer. Having not a lot of games to play on back then, I obviously spent a fair bit of time with it, so I can offer my mini-review.

It has five levels and bosses. Graphically it is pretty impressive with multiple levels of parallax on levels 2 and 4 being standout. Musically it is pretty dreary, although oddly I can still clearly recall most of the tracks in my head even now.
Gameplay is obviously the biggest factor and this is where it falls down. It FEELS very euroshmuppy in design, especially with popcorn enemies taking several hits to go down. The bosses look impressive but aren't that fun in that you have to take them down piece by piece, but only in a very specific order (like the darius+ bosses). Difficulty wise, it should be fairly easy to 1cc by most players (I'm shit and I could manage it).
I only discovered the game was so rare when I started to sell my old gameboy games. I had a perfect copy still with box and manual and got £90 for it (probably could have got more). It is fascinating for me to see such an obscure, not particularly loved, game get a re-release and I would say this one is more for the collector, rather than the player.
StudioMudprints

Re: Star Hawk (Gameboy) Limited Run Games Re-release

Post by StudioMudprints »

This is a cool find, I may just have to cover it as a curiosity.
FRO

Re: Star Hawk (Gameboy) Limited Run Games Re-release

Post by FRO »

Was planning on grabbing this, since it never got a North American release, though I wasn't aware of the game's rarity, so that makes it an easier buy, even if it's not a great game.