Gearshifters - shmup racing - Steam/Switch/PS/Xbox

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
soupbones

Re: Gearshifters - shmup racing - Steam/Switch/PS/Xbox

Post by soupbones »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It's definitely intended for a more casual audience. I saw someone playing it the other day. Euroshmup vibe, some enemies have attacks that are way too fast to realistically avoid if you're in line with then when they fire, and enemies drop constant health items, so rather than a shmup with tight dodging it's more about managing resources. Collecting health items while not taking too much damage, etc.
Yeah - agreed for the most part, however learning the enemy types and their attacks is super important to not getting hit. I found myself getting into different positions of attack depending on what the next wave looks like (example: disc shooters + 18 wheelers = hide alongside side the trucks for cover and wait for an opening), however sometimes there's just too many enemy types and an "attack plan" falls apart really quick.

Things get a lot more interesting with new weapons and skill unlocks.

I'm really enjoying it overall - it's a new type of Spy Hunter game... when was the last time we got one of THOSE???
heli

Post by heli »

I ordered the collecter edition with a big smile.
Looking great, it cant be a bigger dissapointment then matterfall.
It looks exact like a game that i would make, and imagine all the work they did.
Great game, gonna throw the box away, for 35 new + shipped = cheaper then regular edition.
dark

Post by dark »

I wish Cave would make a shmup with cars. Something with the DDP style of gameplay while driving on highways would be interesting. The Ibara soundtrack would be a good fit for a Mad Max style thing, though I'd like to see Cave's twist on whatever universe would involve cars shooting other vehicles.
Chrome Head

Post by Chrome Head »

Looks fun, favorited it, but it will have to come down in price a bit digitally before I bite on it.
heli

Post by heli »

First impressions :
First i set the damage scale to 500% and arcade.
Cant really avoid because of accellerating movement.
You need a joystick with the option for LeftStick for this game, because the d-pad is not in use for movement and cannot change.
So the steering is bad and you cant aim forward when you steer.
Also your gun need to cooldown.

Very long the same enemys over and over getting boring, i pressed quit to HQ.
Then i found out the coins you grab are for you to spend when completing a level they are for you.
They involved artificial skill, so it is a bad game they need to add artificial skill to make it addictive, they got me.
I set back to 100% damage, and got the feeling for it, need to let them shoot first, then steer to them while shooting, then repeat to cooldown gun.
Now i am happy with the game as long as i can farm more items, then i,m done with it like a regular game.

Missed chance : no tate mode, i need to find a way to swap leftright with updown, then this game would be better.
btw : This game is off topic