Gearshifters - shmup racing - Steam/Switch/PS/Xbox

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPM

Gearshifters - shmup racing - Steam/Switch/PS/Xbox

Post by SPM »

Ships... Lolis... How about cars instead?
---> Trailer (Announced for September 2021)

MORE PICS:
Spoiler

Not too sure about this but could be fun :D
Last edited by SPM on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Astro City II

Re: Gearshiters - shmup racing - Steam/Switch/PS/Xbox

Post by Astro City II »

Looks like Spy Hunter x Shmuppage.

I'm in.
pja

Post by pja »

I think you made a really unfortunate typo in the title :P
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

pja wrote:I think you made a really fortunate typo in the title :P
ftfy
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
MathU

Post by MathU »

Pointless 3D graphics, distracting glowing neon bullets, what appears to be a health bar, and a slogan that could be conjectured to imply another Euroshmup-style attempt to misuse a score counter for shop currency. Curvy roads in the screenshots suggests this might have indirect driving controls rather than 1:1 scrolling shooter control. Prominent Steam advertising suggests it might be crippled with DRM. All that said, however, I've been waiting for another Gallop: Armed Police Unit or Kingdom Grandprix for a long time, hope that speculation is all wrong! Cautious optimism I suppose.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

pja wrote:I think you made a really unfortunate typo in the title :P
A gear would probably be one of the worst things imaginable to shit.

I remember having fun with a game similar to this called Renegade Ops. Anyone remember that one? Definitely wasn't a game to take too seriously, but it was fun to unwind playing through once.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I want this to be a game where a bunch of British blokes drive around yelling "shite" to people in cockney accents.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Expected a vert when a saw the topic title. Still seems very Battle Formula-esque.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This is a really cool idea.
I get all displays are widescreen... but this feels wrong as a hori.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The car and boss designs instantly recall Battle Formula (FC), aka Super Spy Hunter... which isn't an especially great STG, but is a very entertaining driving/STG hybrid, particularly with its sensible handling of damage (your armoured vehicle can survive a certain amount of flak, but singular heavy attacks like lasers and mines are instant death, as is falling off the course or being crushed by the more massive enemies). I'll watch this with some interest, on the off chance the devs have some modicum of the same nous. Granted, BF/SSH is by mahfuckin peak Sunsoft, masters of Making Inertia Not Suck.

Spoiler

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I want this to be a game where a bunch of British blokes drive around yelling "shite" to people in cockney accents.

The Theme Of Gearshiters Image
Last edited by BIL on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I totally love that OP still hasn't edited the title. Or maybe that can't be done? :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

bigbadboaz wrote:I totally love that OP still hasn't edited the title. Or maybe that can't be done? :lol:
I will not allow it.
SPM

Post by SPM »

That's on the mods. Can't do anything myself... Tyrants! :mrgreen:

I do think it could be fun and am willing to give it a try (but it probably won't stand out, let's be realistic) although admittedly it would gain some extra points if it included some blokes yelling shite every now and then :lol:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You can edit the title of a thread by editing the subject/title in the first post. It's what determines the name of the thread and it's how threads in the Shmupmeets section keep updating with the date of the next event. Of course, editing the title of this particular thread would be truly a tragedy given its unintentional hilarity.

However, it's also not fair for the devs or anyone looking for the game that the actual name of the game has yet to been said yet, thus making it impossible to find when searching for it.

Ahem,

This is a thread about a game called Gearshifters.

Gearshifters Gearshifters Gearshifters Gearshifters Gearshifters

shite, lol
SPM

Re: Gearshifters - shmup racing - Steam/Switch/PS/Xbox

Post by SPM »

Oh it's true! Fixed! (let's do the right thing) :cry: :lol:
Spoiler
Gearshiters FTW!!!
dark

Post by dark »

Neat. It's been awhile since we had a car based shmup. Hope its better than Highway Hunter (dos) and hope its more shmup like than something like Death Rally (fantastic game, but its more racing game than shmup).

I've tried to think in my head what a good vertical car based shmup would look like that could have gameplay similar to vertical space ship/plane shmups. Unlike planes, since you are a car on the ground, you can't just sweep left to right over the entire screen (unless the entire screen is a huge highway, which would probably be boring after awhile). Additionally, how do you deal with the fact that roads usually have curves in them (just having a straight road/highway would get boring after awhile). Lethal Crash Race, Highway Hunter, Road Avenger, Mad Gear all offer ideas of how to do a vertical overhead view car-on-road game, and they all mostly treat curves as straight roads going off at 45 degree angles for a brief distance before connecting you to another large road going the same direction you were just on. That's one way to do it, but unfortunately I think that would look a little dated.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Have you played Spy Hunter or Super Spy Hunter before? Super Spy Hunter is probably the best example of this rare style of shmup, and is generally a fantastic game. The only real flaw is some memorize-or-die jumps on the final level where you need to be travelling not too fast and not too slow to safely make the jumps.

Jackal and Firepower 2000 are other examples of land-vehicle shmups, where the terrain is a threat to manage, though they're slower paced games.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There will be hell to pay for this.

...I'm making a really disappointed face at my monitor right now, I'll have you know.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

:lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Jackal and Firepower 2000 are other examples of land-vehicle shmups, where the terrain is a threat to manage, though they're slower paced games.
Don't forget Aerostar. Another land based vehicle game, though this one looks similar to flying ships in other games.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

BulletMagnet wrote:There will be hell to pay for this.

...I'm making a really disappointed face at my monitor right now, I'll have you know.
Spoiler
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
dark

Post by dark »

I was just thinking about this game recently and was surprised to find it it's coming out on Steam in about two weeks. I'll probably be checking it out as long as the price doesn't seem outrageous.
SPM

Post by SPM »

30€ on the EU eshop... A bit high but we'll see what the reviews say
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

MathU wrote:slogan that could be conjectured to imply another Euroshmup-style attempt to misuse a score counter for shop currency
Why is this a bad thing? Using shop = playing with a handicap = less risk = less score. And not using shop = more difficulty, risk = higher score. Seems sound to me. What's particularly euroshmuppy about it?
Last edited by Licorice on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

There's a PS4 and Switch physical release (standard / collectors) that are up for pre-order in Europe. Limited Run will be doing the NA distribution for it.

https://twitter.com/NumskullGames/statu ... 3108105216

https://numskullgames.com/project/gearshifters/
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Nice to see even more people will be able to get a look at gearshiters
FRO

Post by FRO »

I need to go watch the trailer again. I remember this looking promising, but I'm rather curious as to how well it plays.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Found an interview with the dev here.

I'm kind of curious about the game. I do like the overall look and the setting, but I'm not sure if the roguelike-gameplay loop is to my taste here. But in the interview it's revealed that the game also has an Arcade Mode available. Yet it's unclear what the changes are exactly other than checkpoints, the dev says "If you have 3-4 hours of time to play you can play arcade mode, if you have 10 hours you can play the standard mode" but that could mean either "the full game takes 3-4 hours" or "it'll take the average player 3-4 hours to creditfeed through the game, if you don't use continues it can be done faster".
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Looks kind of meh, to be honest.

~20 minutes of the arcade mode played there but the pace is just so slow. There's loads of dead time between enemy waves, and even zakos take a lot of hits to destroy.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's definitely intended for a more casual audience. I saw someone playing it the other day. Euroshmup vibe, some enemies have attacks that are way too fast to realistically avoid if you're in line with then when they fire, and enemies drop constant health items, so rather than a shmup with tight dodging it's more about managing resources. Collecting health items while not taking too much damage, etc.