Which shmups would you take off my wanted list?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
neorichieb1971

Which shmups would you take off my wanted list?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Insector X - Genesis MD
Super Fantasy Zone - MD (Now part of my collection)
Raiden Trad - MD (I looked at the SNES version but I believe its 30fps)
Dangerous Seed - MD
Master of Weapon - MD
Whip Rush - MD (Now part of my collection)
Phelios - MD
Vapor Trail - MD
Grind Stormer - MD

I have about 20 shmups in my MD collection. Most that I do not have are USA/JP exclusives that sit in the ultra expensive category. These above remain in my wanted list but wanted some feedback on if they are worth picking up.

Or maybe you could tell me which ones on my wanted list are absolutely fantastic and need to be prioritized.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by neorichieb1971 on Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Sengoku Strider

Re: Which shmups would you take off my wanted list?

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Insector X is flat out ugly and poorly designed. You can certainly cross that one off.

Grind Stormer & Super Fantasy Zone are keepers.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Agree with prioritizing Fantasy Zone.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
davyK

Post by davyK »

Fantasy Zone is excellent. Truly excellent.

Raiden Trad is a pretty humdrum port but it's fine. It feels like Raiden which is the main thing and runs well. If you must have an MD Raiden game it's OK. I've heard the SNES game is truly hideous.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Super Fantasy zone has been acquired.

:wink: 8)
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Grind Stormer is absolutely one of the best shmups on the console, that one needs to stay. Most of the others besides Insector X are worth keeping though, for one reason or another, though the prices of most might not be justified. I don't know what all of them go for anymore, but with the price of retro games all going through the roof for no reason the last year or two, I wouldn't doubt some of them are way up there.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Not the best game but I've always enjoyed Vaportrail. It's a surprisingly rare example of a Sonic Wings-like vertical on the Genesis. I just looked up the current price and, yeah... probably not worth the going rate unless you have some serious FU money. My go-to advice for this type of situation is to just buy an Everdrive or MiSTer, but I understand that there is that collectability aspect for some folks.

Edit: I thought Master of Weapon was complete trash when I played it back in the early 00s. I didn't really give it much of a chance to grow but you could probably strike that one from the list. No one seems to talk about it
davyK

Post by davyK »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Super Fantasy zone has been acquired.

Good stuff. If you got the PAL version and your MD is modded it runs at 60Hz glitch free as it wasn't optimised. It's not quite a sequel to the original but it's like an extended cut with some new weapons and levels. Very nice game.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

davyK wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Super Fantasy zone has been acquired.

Good stuff. If you got the PAL version and your MD is modded it runs at 60Hz glitch free as it wasn't optimised. It's not quite a sequel to the original but it's like an extended cut with some new weapons and levels. Very nice game.
Yes, it was PAL. Its pretty much mint inside and out. I have a Genesis 2 umodded but most PAL titles work flawlessly on it. If that fails I have the Analogue variant which plays everything.

I picked up Thunderforce 2 (GEN) and Whip Rush (Gen) this week too for about £55. Both complete. I find that buying Genesis titles in the UK sometimes works out better than buying from overseas.

I will probably try to hunt down Grind Stormer and Phelios and then call my MD collection a day.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The only "downside" to the EU version is that Opa-Opa doesn't try to "Revenge" his father in that version (EU version cleaned up the Engrish), though it's not a real issue and the game itself is identical.

Raiden Trad is actually one of the more accurate ports, though it's not the prettiest version of the game. I definitely recommend the PS1 version over it, but I definitely recommend it over the terrible SNES version. PCE/TG-16 is a harder comparison. It's not as accurate, but it still plays well and has better graphics.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

I'd definitely put Raiden Project and Raiden DX over Raiden Trad, especially in the case of the SNES version-- which may qualify as extreme self-torture to play.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Insector X is pretty good, you should try to get it.

Raiden Densetsu is alright as a Mega Drive port of Raiden. Miles beyond the SNES port, of course.

Dangerous Seed and Phelios are interesting ports, though they are substantially easier than the arcade games to a degree that may cross a line. That may be your thing, of course.

Grind Stormer is not necessary (it is an attempt at an arcade accurate port on a system that doesn't work for it) and is notoriously hard to find a working copy of, though I think it got some kind of recent reissue that helps with this problem?

I am to understand that Master of Weapon is kind of a bad port, and the game itself is very polarizing.

I don't really know anything about the Kuhga port.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!