Strikers 1945 Plus! ^^

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Pnut

Strikers 1945 Plus! ^^

Post by Pnut »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I've been recently interested in this game because it is the only shmups arcade game in the arcade I go to.

I'm very addicted and I want to beat the first loop with 1 credit. If anyone has any video replays of someone doing so I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you made it.

If you have any questions about my faq, you can email me or pm me. Good hunting.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

1CC Strikers 1945 Plus?
That might be very hard depending on how the game is set up.
At full factory (arcade MVS) defaults, the game is designed to be nothing more than a "quarter cruncher".
Example: Not only is it the most difficult Strikers game, it only gives you 2 lifes!!! All other Psikyo shooters give you 3! Even moreso, this one is clearly the most manic. (bullet count and spreads) Not to mention a tight play area (non-Tate)

In order to 1CC this beast with (stupid hard) defaults, you'll have to be one of those "gifted" shmup-o's indeed. Good to average? Not a chance in my opinion.

My friend Nate owns a Neo cab with the MVS, we have it set with 3 lives, and I 've only seen level 6 ONCE!!! And I even play/practice playing it on my XBOX quite frequently.
No, I don't posess "godlike" shmup-a-bility , but then again, I don't suck either.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Like all Psikyo games I was trying to figure out the first four random levels. Once I got the extend, and playing two players(which allow us to see the later levels, and patterns) it got much easier.

Bless my school for having this game when it did(not anymore since they weren't making money off me and my friend :wink:), and having it set on full factory default. I played easier versions in Japan(which is funny since I expected the games in Japan to be the hardest versions). For example in 1-5 there won't be a green bomber coming out with the big tank at the beginning. The bullets were also much slower. In the machine I played, the green bomber comes out, even if you lose a life at 1-4, and the bullets really fly, especially if you haven't lost a life.

I am still bitter my friend took the high score, by a mere 2000 something points, a day before they took away the game. :evil: The Arcadia record holder can no miss no bomb this. Amazing. The second loop makes me sad, like Gunbird 2's.

The Spitfire's supershot takes out many medium size enemies before they shoot their patterns. Also on bosses a bomb plus two-three supershots will take them out. Those two factors really help the player. That's why I suggest using the Spitfire to clear the game the easiest in my guide.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Well, I can see how the game would be easier with two skilled players, hell, what shmup/game wouldn't? Actually, I find that playing with a "wingman" distracts me more than anything. Although, its cool to do so sometimes...I could never be "proud" of a two player score though.

I have my Strikers 1945 PLus set up as if it would be on the AES console.
In other words, I have the diff set to 3 instead of MVS(4) and I included 1 extra life, so thats a total of 3. All othe Psikyo shmups have 3 lifes, why should this one be any different? Personally, the game is still a challenge this way, but it seems more balanced as well.
Like I said before, the arcade defaults are only set that way to suck a few quarters from each player. Its more about taking money, rather than providing a challenge for the player.
This is how I feel about ALL MVS games...The AES counterparts still provide a challenge, but their not designed to "rip you off".
landshark

Post by landshark »

I was wondering why one of the videos I saw only had a "1" for leftover ships when they started.

Games freaking hard. I'm with you on the rarely seeing level 6. Made it to the level 8 boss yesterday with 2 credits ... then fed it a few more.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

landshark wrote:I was wondering why one of the videos I saw only had a "1" for leftover ships when they started.

Games freaking hard. I'm with you on the rarely seeing level 6. Made it to the level 8 boss yesterday with 2 credits ... then fed it a few more.
Well, if you wanna talk about 2 credits...and a few more, I've "beaten" the game then. :)
Surely not a 1CC, which is what I'm aiming for.

Try setting up your game like I have mine, you'll get much more enjoyment out of it. Besides, almost all Neo-Geo AES (home carts) are set at diff 3 anyway.
Pop it back up to (4) MVS when you've mastered AES3 if you like.
landshark

Post by landshark »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, if you wanna talk about 2 credits...and a few more, I've "beaten" the game then. :)
Surely not a 1CC, which is what I'm aiming for.

Try setting up your game like I have mine, you'll get much more enjoyment out of it. Besides, almost all Neo-Geo AES (home carts) are set at diff 3 anyway.
Pop it back up to (4) MVS when you've mastered AES3 if you like.
Hahaha, i was just happy to make it to the last guy on 2 credits. The last guy is so different from the arcade Strikers 1945 II.

I think I actually am playng on 3, because I get 2 extra guys.

Fun game none the less. Do you play this on PCB or via your XBox? I'm curious how well the xbox handles psikyo games (emulation obviously).
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, I can see how the game would be easier with two skilled players, hell, what shmup/game wouldn't? Actually, I find that playing with a "wingman" distracts me more than anything. Although, its cool to do so sometimes...I could never be "proud" of a two player score though.
Actually, most Psikyo games become extremely difficult with 2-players. Why? Because the rank increases at twice the rate. Having two fully power-ed up players on screen pushes the rank far higher than it can possibly go in a single-player game.

And might I add that teamwork can be just as, if not more, satifying than going at it solo.
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: I have my Strikers 1945 PLus set up as if it would be on the AES console.
In other words, I have the diff set to 3 instead of MVS(4) and I included 1 extra life, so thats a total of 3. All othe Psikyo shmups have 3 lifes, why should this one be any different? Personally, the game is still a challenge this way, but it seems more balanced as well.
Like I said before, the arcade defaults are only set that way to suck a few quarters from each player. Its more about taking money, rather than providing a challenge for the player.
This is how I feel about ALL MVS games...The AES counterparts still provide a challenge, but their not designed to "rip you off".
Well, actually, there never was an AES release of Strikers 1945 Plus. It's an MVS only cart. Yes, it has an AES Mode, but it's pretty much the same thing.
Secondly, whenever I play my MVS cart through my AES (which is Japanese so the games default to that), it defaults to MVS difficulty and gives each player the standard 3-lives per credit.
If the game is set to any "Overseas" region (according to the dipswitch sheet), it drops the number of lives to 2 per credit.
landshark

Post by landshark »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, I can see how the game would be easier with two skilled players, hell, what shmup/game wouldn't?
I've never tried playinga psikyo game with another who 'knew the game.' But I'd imagine some of the boss attack would aweful.

You know, those mass-screen spreads that are aimed right at you, and you know you have to just move a tad to the left or right after it's shot. You'd have to make sure you are both in the same spot when the time came. Also, at high rank those fast streams of bullets that you expect to be aimed at you, may be aimed at player 2 and catch you in cross fire or something.

Bosses do die quicker though. I've played 2 players, but the other player didn't know the game too well.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Kiken wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, I can see how the game would be easier with two skilled players, hell, what shmup/game wouldn't? Actually, I find that playing with a "wingman" distracts me more than anything. Although, its cool to do so sometimes...I could never be "proud" of a two player score though.
Actually, most Psikyo games become extremely difficult with 2-players. Why? Because the rank increases at twice the rate. Having two fully power-ed up players on screen pushes the rank far higher than it can possibly go in a single-player game.

And might I add that teamwork can be just as, if not more, satifying than going at it solo.
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: I have my Strikers 1945 PLus set up as if it would be on the AES console.
Well, actually, there never was an AES release of Strikers 1945 Plus. It's an MVS only cart. Yes, it has an AES Mode, but it's pretty much the same thing.
Secondly, whenever I play my MVS cart through my AES (which is Japanese so the games default to that), it defaults to MVS difficulty and gives each player the standard 3-lives per credit.
If the game is set to any "Overseas" region (according to the dipswitch sheet), it drops the number of lives to 2 per credit.

Yes, I was aware that Strikers Plus was MVS only.
I wasen't aware of the "region/lives" thing though.
Nates cab is a USA "beater" cab. I refer to those old black and red Neo cabs as such. You can add the extra 1 life through the test switch. I'm not sure what region the MVS cart is though, the label reads English.

I play mine through Kawa-X on the XBOX, Landshark.

So, you guy's think its "cheap" to have it set on 3, rather than MVS 4?
Like I said, most other AES games are set on 3, so I figured this would "consolize" the difficulty. Another thing, the bullets fly so fast on 4MVS, that it creates some slowdown. On diff 3, everything seems to run more smoothly. However, I did notice slowdown while playing the arcade cab...of which I've played two different machines.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: Yes, I was aware that Strikers Plus was MVS only.
I wasen't aware of the "region/lives" thing though.
Nates cab is a USA "beater" cab. I refer to those old black and red Neo cabs as such. You can add the extra 1 life through the test switch. I'm not sure what region the MVS cart is though, the label reads English.

I play mine through Kawa-X on the XBOX, Landshark.

So, you guy's think its "cheap" to have it set on 3, rather than MVS 4?
Like I said, most other AES games are set on 3, so I figured this would "consolize" the difficulty. Another thing, the bullets fly so fast on 4MVS, that it creates some slowdown. On diff 3, everything seems to run more smoothly. However, I did notice slowdown while playing the arcade cab...of which I've played two different machines.
Neo Geo carts (both AES and MVS) and Neo Geo CDs will default to the settings of the region hardware that they are running on (unless the game was a Japan-only release, which of course, will only be set to Japan).

Example:
I own a Japanese AES console and a US AES cart of Metal Slug 3. My US cart plays in Japanese with blood.
Stingray owns a US AES console and a Japanese AES cart of Metal Slug 3. His cart plays in English and with no blood.

In regards to difficulty settings... virtually every Neo Geo game running in AES Mode will allow the player to select the MVS difficult. All Neo Geo players set their home games to MVS when doing score-runs and such because it's a universal difficulty and allows for accurate comparison with arcade players.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

It really is a joy playing with another player who knows the game really well.

Kiken: Your two player Ikaruga videos are pure art.

In Strikers Plus, the aimed shots are aimed at player one. When player one loses a life, the shots will be aimed at player two. In two player mode, one part that I really like in Strikers Plus is 1-4 Iron Casket first and second forms. My friend would do short sweeps, and I just sit right next to the boss, dodge the slow pink bullets and fire away.

Also I never count my two-player scores for anything. I strictly play two player games for fun. My two player score in Strikers Plus is very low since I let my friend get most of the points so he can get the extend. The only time I as the second player got close to an extend was around 2-2.

A second player is indeed distracting. I definitely play better by myself. But two players is very fun.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Thanks Kiken, but I already knew that as well. (console dictating region and all)
I think I'll stick with the AES difficulty though.
In most cases, AES or (3) is considered "Normal".
sffan

Post by sffan »

I'm surprised at you, T.D.

You've always been an advocate of playing on full defaults, even if it seems hard that way, no exceptions.

And now you're making excuses for playing Strikers Plus with an added life! The default for Strikers Plus is 2 lives. Period. Rise to the challenge! Your quarter-munching excuse is pretty weak IMO since all arcade games are designed to make money.
greg

Post by greg »

Since this is on the Neo Geo, does it have TATE mode? I don't know of any Neo Geo games that support tate (even verticle shmups).
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
supaT

Post by supaT »

greg wrote:Since this is on the Neo Geo, does it have TATE mode? I don't know of any Neo Geo games that support tate (even verticle shmups).
No, it does not. You have two borders, one on the left, others on the right to fit the right dimension. Information about super-shots, points and lives are displayed on these borders:

http://www.daddelkingz.de/pics/s45plusb.jpg

Greets

Dennis
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

sffan wrote:
I'm surprised at you, T.D.

You've always been an advocate of playing on full defaults, even if it seems hard that way, no exceptions.

And now you're making excuses for playing Strikers Plus with an added life! The default for Strikers Plus is 2 lives. Period. Rise to the challenge! Your quarter-munching excuse is pretty weak IMO since all arcade games are designed to make money.
That all depends. You will get 3 lives if your playing a Japanese version!
Also, yea, I like playing full defaults most of the time. That would mean either "Arcade" or "Normal" mode. (Neo-Geo:normal=3/ and arcadeMVS=4)

BTW: I still think Strikers PLus is a ripoff when set with 2 lifes. Thats not a challenge, thats an excuse to use continues (which I hate in either console or arcade)
Name ONE Psikyo shmup that only gives you 2 lifes...better yet, name any shmup that only gives 2 lifes.

There is a difference between "Hard" and "Unfair".
At least I'aint playing the shit on Monkey with 9 lives!
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

So, basically, a question from someone who is so dumb that no explanation will stupify him more; can I change the lives count from 2 to 3 when playing on MAME (newest version)? If you're saying that there are japanese boards of the game where you have 3 lives as default, it can't be that wrong can it?

And the difficulty, what about that?
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Either access the "test switch" or dipswitch menu. MAME might not allow this though, Kawa-X, or the original will obviously.

I've set the diff back up to MVS4, as I felt slightly guilty in setting it to AES3, and instead decided to experiment more with the "rank" system.
I'm not grabbing any more than two power-ups, I was able to make it to stage 7 with a score of 647...something. All previous attempts where done by grabbing every power up I could get...this will make the game tougher!
TRust me...it doesn't need to be any tougher at all.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:...better yet, name any shmup that only gives 2 lifes.
I seem to recall one of the old "Dragon" games pulling a stunt like that...was it Dragon Spirit, or something else? I forget offhand, but I remember some old shmup like that doing the "2 lives" thing, at least when I tried it on MAME...

...figures that when Psikyo comes up with a "classic shmup element from days gone by" it had to be that one. :P
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

"All previous attempts where done by grabbing every power up I could get...this will make the game tougher!
TRust me...it doesn't need to be any tougher at all."

I don't understand, is that a contradiction or were you quoting someone without the quotation marks? :wink:
sffan

Post by sffan »

Is there a Japanese r0m for Plus in m@me? My romset is 0.71 from july '03 and it only has the parent. Have clones been added? And do they have 3-life defaults?

Anyway, I'm not disputing the existence of the jap version. I believe you. BTW I think you can change the mame version from 2 lives to 3 in the test-mode (You can't with the dip-switch menu), but I've never wanted to try it. I figure I'm playing it how it was meant to be played in an arcade, rip-off or not. Except I don't have to waste any money doing it.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Anarchos wrote:"All previous attempts where done by grabbing every power up I could get...this will make the game tougher!
TRust me...it doesn't need to be any tougher at all."

I don't understand, is that a contradiction or were you quoting someone without the quotation marks? :wink:
Thats really weird, I just looked at my previous post, and I never used quotations like that. Oh, I get it. Its not a contradiction at all. I meant that all the other times I've played the game, I would grab every power up...thus increasing the overall "rank" (meaning harder).
Now, I'm playing with only grabbing two power-ups, thus lowering the "rank" to make the game slightly easier as it will "re-balance" itself depending on how many powerup you have.
No wonder Zeroeight and myself got our asses kicked during that two player session. The "rank" went sky high, due to the fact we were two players fully powered up!

Hope this clairfies things up a bit.

Yes, I tried it with MAME, you can change the dipswitch settings, although, the "Test Switch" must be turned on first. (Its where you set up the game)

Apparently, when Strikers PLus is played on either Japanese console or arcade cab, you will have 3 lifes at the start. (I usually play the Japanese versions anyway...even with GigaWing!)
MAME does not "emulate" regions, however KAWA-X does.
Even still, all other Psikyo shmups give you 3 lives, so thats good enough of a reason right there to change it over.

I guess if we ever have a "High Score" thread for Strikers PLus, we will have to include the configuration, as usual.
Fuck it, lets start another one in the High Scores thread!?
(3 lives/diff level 4 MVS)
sffan

Post by sffan »

If there's gonna be a high score ranking then there has to be a list for defualt settings (2 lives). I think that's in the constitution or something.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Ok, lets just pretend that we're all Japanese then...get it?
(3 lives/MVS4)
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I have now created a high score thread in the appropriate section...hope to see you there.
Its only a top ten, so get serious and play hard! :)