Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cresta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cre

Post by xxx1993 »

Just got the game, played Dramatic Mode, beat it. I loved it!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You don't know how relieved I am that you finally got to play this game. Bravo!
Lander

Post by Lander »

But was it PS4 or Switch? Docked or Undocked? Pro Controller or Dogbone? Christmas just won't be the same unless we have all the facts!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I got the PS4 version.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

By the way, anybody notice Mandler got a bit of a makeover? The thing that keeps ejecting from Mandler's body whenever it's destroyed, I see it's now embedded on Mandler's chest for its final form.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Got the PS4 dramatic version. Can’t believe I slept on this. It has the feel. The formation mechanic works great and is so fun. The graphics are fine imo. They have a certain charm and I get what they were going for. Just hope the devs keep following their own instincts instead of trying to please anyone with an opinion as they really hit it out the park in the gameplay department.

Also played the Switch demo in TATE with FlipGrip and didn’t notice any real differences performance wise with the ps4 version, at least in that first level. Kinda wish I’d gotten the Switch version tbh as this game is calling me right now and I’m not home.

Are there any performance issues later on in the game on Switch compared to PS4?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I think the issues were pretty much fixed in the Switch version if I recall, but I still went with the PS4 version myself. Either way, I still had a blast with it. My only complaint is why do you lose all your abilities and formations at the start of every stage? Another minor thing that bothers me is that the FM version of Mandler's theme should have been used for the real Mandler on Sol instead of the fake Mandler on Terra, since the real version uses the PSG version instead. The FM version sounds more intimidating.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Ser Flash, Shmup Junkie, and Electric Playground
Get out
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Strider77 wrote:
Ser Flash, Shmup Junkie, and Electric Playground
Get out
Sorry, those are the only shmup reviewers I can think of.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Welp. I just suffered my first softlock... Happened in the middle of Stage 3. I hope PlatinumGames patches this game so it won't happen again, ever.
Lander

[Yuzo Koshiro music stops]

Post by Lander »

Yup, there's that familiar bought-on-launch feeling. Please take a ticket, and Platinum may be along with a fix once they ship their next big game. Or perhaps just more DLC.

...This board is way too negative :|
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It's easier for them to slap Kamiya in front of a green screen, have him put on a dollar store spacesuit and spout some bullshit.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Can’t bring myself to hate it, though, it’s a fun game despite being a two hour shmup, and the final battle with Mandler is really epic, one of the few times a shmup has given me a worthy final boss than the other recent shmups have given me. Besides, I don't even use any formations or charged weapons when fighting Mandler, I just use my standard weapons (mainly Sho). Because all I need for a 12-13 minute (or 10 minute) final boss battle in a shmup is two opponents trying to shoot each other to death.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I still come back to Sol Cresta from time to time. Still need to beat Arcade on the Plat. Hard difficulty and that'll be the last real box to check. Might be hard only coming back once every few months.

Q: Did anyone ever unlock all the achievement ships?

I can't find any documentation online of what's actually unlockable. I have the first of three, which is a white-based palette-swap of the original ship. Functions exactly the same. Beyond that, I don't know.

Also, DLC ships are surprisingly fun. The Moon Cresta ship is actually a beast if you get it powered up and abuse charge shots and it's weird phoenix-tackle thing. More than anything, though, the DLC ships reveal how OP the original Yamato is.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I have two of the unlockable pallet-swap ships - the Fuso and Musashi. They do outwardly look and play exactly like the Yamato, it took me a while to work out what was different about them; the Sol Gauge has been re-ordered. Fuso focuses on unlocking the street fighter style attacks much earlier than Yamato and Musashi unlocks the x3 damage modifier almost straight away. Musashi can level up to x5 damage which I dont think the other ships have. It does seem like the most survivable ship, I'm not sure if other things have been adjusted too.

No idea what the final unlockable is. I'm wondering if it will be the Robot or the bad guy's ship. As for getting enough points - platinum hard mode might be doable but clearing all the stages without getting hit once sounds like a real slog.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
jehu

Post by jehu »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:I have two of the unlockable pallet-swap ships - the Fuso and Musashi. They do outwardly look and play exactly like the Yamato, it took me a while to work out what was different about them; the Sol Gauge has been re-ordered. Fuso focuses on unlocking the street fighter style attacks much earlier than Yamato and Musashi unlocks the x3 damage modifier almost straight away. Musashi can level up to x5 damage which I dont think the other ships have. It does seem like the most survivable ship, I'm not sure if other things have been adjusted too.

No idea what the final unlockable is. I'm wondering if it will be the Robot or the bad guy's ship. As for getting enough points - platinum hard mode might be doable but clearing all the stages without getting hit once sounds like a real slog.
Ah okay, thanks for this. I thought the unlocks were just pure palette swaps - actually nice to know that there's some difference. I don't think I'm going for that final ship - but would love to hear about it from someone who did or does...
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

So was a native PS5 version announced? A lot of tiny stutters on PS4 version on PS5.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I do have a few pet peeves with the game, honestly. One of Mandler's attacks, when it does that Emperor Palpatine Force Lightning-like attack, it's unpredictable and can be very tough to dodge. They should at least give you a warning on when it'll fire. Also, the end credits. Dear God, the end credits. It's almost fucking impossible to get all 83 firework drones. You thought the mini-game end credits in the Super Smash Bros. franchise were bad? You ain't seen nothing yet. I already know it unlocks a bonus post-credits scene, but I kinda feel like it isn't worth it. Of course, it turns out that it was Dril who made those drones. Considering he also made the simulator (which is basically the infamous Terra Cresta 3D for the Sega Saturn) and how he constantly trolls Sho throughout the game, you feel like he's trolling the player too?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

xxx1993 wrote:I do have a few pet peeves with the game, honestly. One of Mandler's attacks, when it does that Emperor Palpatine Force Lightning-like attack, it's unpredictable and can be very tough to dodge.
The aimed beam has a big charge-up before it fires and the purple lightning has some little sparkles where its about to fire. Very easy to deal with, plus you have a dodge button. I've never tried this with the robot though and doubt I'll ever bother with dramatic mode.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The aimed beam is a bit easy, but I always struggle with the lightning attack. I'm not even bothering to use any special weapons or formations.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:So was a native PS5 version announced? A lot of tiny stutters on PS4 version on PS5.
I have the physical release from Limited Run en route and it’s disappointing to hear of this issue. Hopefully it will be patched soon or the extra grunt of the PS5 will clear it up.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

CMcK wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:So was a native PS5 version announced? A lot of tiny stutters on PS4 version on PS5.
I have the physical release from Limited Run en route and it’s disappointing to hear of this issue. Hopefully it will be patched soon or the extra grunt of the PS5 will clear it up.
I think it's the Unity engine curse from the last gen consoles since it's a PS4 game. While some games clean right up when when played on PS5, some still require a patch to take advantage of the extra power.

I beat it once but am holding out for a patch or a straight PS5 version before diving back in.

It''s nothing gamebreaking but it is pretty noticeable right off the bat on the first level.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finally got the secret ending in Dramatic Mode!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

By the way, anyone notice the similarities between Sol Cresta's premise with Gyruss on the NES? Since they both have you, you know, trying to free the sun from the enemy?
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I received the disc version from Limited Run. The version number on the title screen is 2.0.0. It still has the micro stutters and the scaling is a bit janky. I do like the game though manipulating the ships to change weapons and activate special attacks is a great idea.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

By the way, is that a Dirty Harry reference in the game? When Sho asks Dril at the beginning of Stage 6, "You feeling lucky, Dril?"
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of many lines so iconic, even if wasn't meant as a reference, 90% of the audience will interpret it as one. :smile: See also!

I'd guess it is a reference, though. Clint's quite well-loved in Japan, for both his signature roles, and more recently directing films on WWII's Pacific Theatre. See also Hirohiko Araki (JoJo being a series steeped in Western pop iconography, of course) :

Spoiler

Incidentally, while it's common knowledge A Fistful of Dollars was an unsanctioned Yojimbo remake, Magnum Force references Kurosawa more subtly; Harry asking to try out a suspect's gun at a shooting range, then returning to the scene to collect ballistics evidence, is straight outta Stray Dog, another Kurosawa/Mifune feature. Definitely some mutual admiration there, even if IIRC Kurosawa himself was pissed at Sergio Leone being told "no" and going ahead with Dollars anyway. :mrgreen:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Either way, I'm satisfied because Dirty Harry's like, one of my personal favorite film series of all time!
Lander

Post by Lander »

xxx1993 wrote:By the way, is that a Dirty Harry reference in the game? When Sho asks Dril at the beginning of Stage 6, "You feeling lucky, Dril?"
Only if there's an offscreen mutiny plot and Sho has Dril at gunpoint :P
BIL wrote:One of many lines so iconic, even if wasn't meant as a reference, 90% of the audience will interpret it as one. :smile: See also!
Heck, the X-my-Y line structure is so eminently tweakable and reusable that it took me several relistens to perceive Make My Day amidst that arcadetastic audio compression, rather than Say My Name, Taste My Gains, or It's My Game :lol: almost all perfectly good lines in service of Action Tough!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

To be honest, Dril is kind of a smart ass, though. Can't blame Sho.