Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cresta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jehu

Re: Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cre

Post by jehu »

Stream's on. Place your last bets about what Kamiya's real sorry about. Would be a new level of trolling if this turned out to be a long-game April Fool's joke, even for the Twitter ban-hammer himself.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

...It has been postponed.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Rundown of new stuff:

Game is delayed until... ???. New release date will be announced early 2022.
Caravan Mode (5-minute Score Attack) Confirmed [Typical Hamster-style, just 5 mins of first stage afaik]
In-Game Achievements grant you 'points' that can be used for unspecified unlockables
TATE-Mode Confirmed + Scanline options
Classic 'Cresta' Ships are in the game
Different song for each stage (a given, I thought, but nice to have a confirmation)
'Nothing we can say at this time' in regards to physical release

If you watch the steam there's new footage of stage 2 (still looks a little stale to me), footage of settings menu, and achievement list (all in Japanese), the opening movie of the game with story exposition dump, and very brief footage of the arcade cab.

The highlight was a pseudo-tearful letter reading from a fan with lasting childhood trauma from the delay of Viewtiful Joe.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just knew this was going to happen. So in retaliation, I blocked Kamiya from my Twitter.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Use the wait to become a Teki Paki ninja, that's my advice Image OR make Kamiya-san proud and git gud @ Darius II! Image
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

xxx1993 wrote:I just knew this was going to happen. So in retaliation, I blocked Kamiya from my Twitter.
This got me good.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

First Top Gun: Maverick, now this… We literally have nothing left this year, since I already played and beat R-Type Final 2 and I saw No Time to Die last month. Next year is going to be crowded. I don’t even know if we’ll be seeing Aleste Branch and Ubusuna next year, if we do then there’s too much next year. Eschatos doesn’t count.
SPM

Post by SPM »

jehu wrote:Rundown of new stuff:

Game is delayed until... ???. New release date will be announced early 2022.
Caravan Mode (5-minute Score Attack) Confirmed [Typical Hamster-style, just 5 mins of first stage afaik]
In-Game Achievements grant you 'points' that can be used for unspecified unlockables
TATE-Mode Confirmed + Scanline options
Classic 'Cresta' Ships are in the game
Different song for each stage (a given, I thought, but nice to have a confirmation)
'Nothing we can say at this time' in regards to physical release

If you watch the steam there's new footage of stage 2 (still looks a little stale to me), footage of settings menu, and achievement list (all in Japanese), the opening movie of the game with story exposition dump, and very brief footage of the arcade cab.

The highlight was a pseudo-tearful letter reading from a fan with lasting childhood trauma from the delay of Viewtiful Joe.
Yeah. Here's a clip of the important stuff of the stream with timestamps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntj_J5p ... kuchopurei
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It looks like GG Aleste 3 is the only play I have now. What if Cotton Rock ‘n Roll and the R-Type Final 3 update gets postponed too?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

xxx1993 wrote:It looks like GG Aleste 3 is the only play I have now. What if Cotton Rock ‘n Roll and the R-Type Final 3 update gets postponed too?
I'm impressed that you've played ALL other shmups ever made.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I’m catching up. And now I’ve made it this far. I’m just frustrated that next year might be packed considering there are other games in development… We still haven’t even gotten word on Aleste Branch or Ubusuna. Or Strikers 1945 IV.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/sol-cre ... -january-7

Well, after that fiasco last year, we got something for tomorrow. But I don't trust PlatinumGames anymore for that.

BIL

Post by BIL »

O.M.F.G. (◎w◎;)
IMA FLY 2 KAMIYA CRIB + PISS ALL OVER HE SHINY BALD HEAD
(THEN USE INABA FLOPPY MOP TOP TO DRY HIM OFF)

(THEY LIVE 2GETHER IN MY HEADCANON LIKE BERT/ERNIE ;3)

Spoiler

^^^ THATS HOW I'M GONE DO EM (■`w´■)

Nah for real ok I guess. Would rather they get this right than shit the bed right out the gate. Image Bit of a mixed metaphor situation there. Rather they get it right than come out the gate with their dicks in their hands, yep.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

When you get there torture Kamiya by tying him down and repeatedly asking him questions about when he directed Bayonetta 2.

Delaying the release date and then delaying the stream that would talk about the release date almost seems like an elaborate troll. Almost.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Rastan78 wrote:When you get there torture Kamiya by tying him down and repeatedly asking him questions about when he directed Bayonetta 2.

Delaying the release date and then delaying the stream that would talk about the release date almost seems like an elaborate troll. Almost.
Who do you think I am? Jack Bauer?
BIL

Post by BIL »

DAMN IT I FORGOT TO LOG BACK INTO MY PRIMARY ACCOUNT
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Or read aloud to him every tweet asking why he won't release Bayonetta 3 on PS4.

FUCK OFF ALL EXCLUSIVE IDIOTS!!!!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/sol-cre ... ebruary-22

You'd better not be lying, PlatinumGames...
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

xxx1993 wrote:You'd better not be lying, PlatinumGames...
That would be too much, I'm sure the game will be released with no problems.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
jehu

Post by jehu »

Third stage looked better than the first two - hopefully they’ve been tightening things up. Apparently the base difficulty is adjusted down for non-hardcore players, but they’ve promised to have options for the veterans. I think they’re aware that, being Platinum Games, they’re going to get attention from people not acclimated to the genre. What that will mean for all of us, I don’t know. But hey, the Yuzo tracks are solid as always.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

jehu wrote:Third stage looked better than the first two - hopefully they’ve been tightening things up. Apparently the base difficulty is adjusted down for non-hardcore players, but they’ve promised to have options for the veterans. I think they’re aware that, being Platinum Games, they’re going to get attention from people not acclimated to the genre. What that will mean for all of us, I don’t know. But hey, the Yuzo tracks are solid as always.
The problem is they've priced it at $40 and at that price point it won't get many impulse purchases from gamers who aren't naturally fans of the genre.

106 people watched the stream live and there's two whole replies on the Japanese youtube vid. I don't think this is getting much fanfare at all over there.

I quite like the look of it but no Xbox version means I'll just support something else.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Physical edition announced. LRG putting it out - preorders start 2/4.

Includes a copy of the game, special box, Yuzo Koshiro two-disc soundtrack, metal replica ship, enamel pin, two Sol medals, three acrylic standees, a set of art cards, and a 5.5-inch tall mini arcade cabinet replica with video screen (plays video only).

pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

LRG printing a HAMSTER Co. game, eh? (in combination with Platinum) First time they've done that I think.

Maybe they'll do some Arcade Archives stuff at some point (probably not).
lrem

Post by lrem »

I’ll get the standard I think
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

lrem wrote:I’ll get the standard I think
Same!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

XtraSmiley wrote:
lrem wrote:I’ll get the standard I think
Same!
Are you guys trying to tell me you don't have a deep need in your lives for an enamel pin, two Sol medals, three acrylic standees, and a set of art cards?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ You forgot the video-only replica cab!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Is there a Japanese physical, or just this? Took a quick look in the usual places and didn't see anything.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Jeneki wrote:Is there a Japanese physical, or just this? Took a quick look in the usual places and didn't see anything.
Yeah this is a shame LRG is doing the physical release.
I was hoping to buy it on disc, but not trying to wait until 2023 for a no-effort release from LRG.
The Dangun Feveron LE was so disappointing. Zero effort to do any design or layout work on the "art book" just pasted in blocks of unformatted text. Same for LRG's "manuals". No booklet with the OST either, and the cheapest quality "collector's box" possible.

Was really hoping PlayAsia or ININ would have been able to put this out for a timely release.