MD/Gen STG Windows re-release 7/22 (Undead Line, ED, others)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
minion

MD/Gen STG Windows re-release 7/22 (Undead Line, ED, others)

Post by minion »

Multiple JP game news outlets are reporting that the BEEP!メガドライブ magazine is going to be shipping a 16,500y (~$150 USD) 470 page Sega hardware retrospective book with playable Windows collection including several MD STGs. Game list is:

・アンデッドライン (Undead Line)
・エリミネートダウン (Eliminate Down)
・空牙 (Kuuga aka Vapor Trail)
・グラナダ (Granada)
・鮫!鮫!鮫! (Same! Same! Same! aka Fire Shark)

Less relevant to this forum but also included:
・スタークルーザー (Star Cruiser)
・チェルノブ (Chelnov)
・エル・ヴィエント (El Viento)
・ミッドナイトレジスタンス (Midnight Resistance) <- OST on this is a personal fave
・ラングリッサー (Langrisser aka Warsong)

Source:
https://www.sbcr.jp/product/4797399431/
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1315149.html

There will also be a more expensive special edition 'full set' that comes with mini-size hardware reproductions. Not sure if they will fit in with the MD Mini hardware repros, tho.

Last edited by minion on Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KayBur

Re: MD/Gen STG Windows re-release (Undead Line, ED, others)

Post by KayBur »

What about the localization of these games? I would like to play and understand what is at stake, and not just intuitively guess what is happening.
MachineAres 1CC

Re: MD/Gen STG Windows re-release 7/22 (Undead Line, ED, oth

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Huh, it's really a mystery as to how they'll be handling these. Will they be wrapped in pre-packaged MD emulators, or actually ported to modern PC hardware? And will they do a digital release later or something? Seems unlikely, but one could hope, as long as these are actual ports and not just self-contained emulator packages.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
minion

Post by minion »

KayBur wrote:What about the localization of these games? I would like to play and understand what is at stake, and not just intuitively guess what is happening.
No mention of that. Given the magazine doesn't get distributed outside of JP, I'd not get my hopes up. Many of the STGs don't really need story to enjoy IMO.
MachineAres 1CC wrote:Huh, it's really a mystery as to how they'll be handling these. Will they be wrapped in pre-packaged MD emulators, or actually ported to modern PC hardware? And will they do a digital release later or something? Seems unlikely, but one could hope, as long as these are actual ports and not just self-contained emulator packages.
My money's on a standard 10-game emulation bundle, ala Sega MD/Gen Classics on Steam, we'll see I guess. 7/22 will be here soon!
Last edited by minion on Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayBur

Post by KayBur »

minion wrote:
KayBur wrote:What about the localization of these games? I would like to play and understand what is at stake, and not just intuitively guess what is happening.
No mention of that. Given the magazine doesn't get distributed outside of JP, I'd not get my hopes up. Many of the STGs don't really need story to enjoy IMO.

This is the main disadvantage of foreign games. I still prefer to play in comfort, when I understand the dialogues and all the subtleties of the game, and not just guess the meaning.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Great selection of titles there. I would snatch this in a heartbeat if it were available on consoles and didn't include an expensive book. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they handle it.

I shouldn't complain about the number of ports available this generation, but I still think it's annoying when they're tied to collectibles, books, arcade sticks, or mini consoles only. Just let me DL the game from the eshop or buy a copy with no bells and whistles.

If they had released the emulation packages from either the Mega Drive Mini or the PC Engine mini as a collection on console I would also snatch those up. Then you've got games that were only on the goofy Capcom fightstick, Astro City Mini, or GG minis.

At least Nintendo had the sense to release better optimized versions of the emulators from the NES and SNES mini on Switch after they had let the scalpers have their fun. A very underrated feature given the quality of games, emulation and cost. Shadow of the Ninja!? Wild Guns!? Demon's Crest!?

IMO classic games should be front and center and made widely available on existing platforms, not used as an afterthought to sell collectibles.
endali

Post by endali »

Are they gonna put this on steam, or should i go ahead and forget that this exists?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

endali wrote:Are they gonna put this on steam, or should i go ahead and forget that this exists?
You're probably better off just forgetting about it, since it seems this is exclusive to the magazine and it's something that's already limited. Maybe check back in 6 months and see if there's any updates, but it seems unlikely. Someone may upload it "illegally" somewhere, which is a whole other story. Someone needs to get it in their hands first, and we'll see what state it's in and how it actually runs.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
minion

Post by minion »

Rastan78 wrote: I shouldn't complain about the number of ports available this generation, but I still think it's annoying when they're tied to collectibles, books, arcade sticks, or mini consoles only. Just let me DL the game from the eshop or buy a copy with no bells and whistles.
Hear, hear.