FUN and “EASY” 1CCs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Augemitbutter

Re: FUN and “EASY” 1CCs

Post by Augemitbutter »

Phelios on Mega Drive is always pure fun.

You don't need to memorize the game for the 1CC true ending.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

ZPScissors wrote:Espgaluda isn't that hard of a game to 1cc. Not only that, it's a fairly easy game to start scoring too.
I go back and forth on this one... it certainly was one of the fastest CAVE clears I've done. It only took me three days to 1CC it starting from scratch, but the last boss is such a bitch. Its also the only CAVE game where I've no missed up until the last stage, but I also feel like you need way more resources for the final boss.

I think it really helps to practice the boss separately for a while. Thats a a very tough boss to defeat without a solid plan, and it sucks to get slapped so hard at the very end.

I'd say Mushi Futari Black Label Original is probably the easiest CAVE clear to do with minimal experience. Deathsmiles is pretty easy too. If you have an extra life or two in reserve its not hard to no bomb the penultimate boss. If you do that you get a 2 life up cake (giving you six extra bombs plus the three still in reserve from not bombing, effectively giving you 9 bombs or so to blast away the final boss without too much pressure.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Terra Force (Arcade): neat game that mixes hori and very, but quite easy, I 1CC'd it in only a couple of credits as a relative newbie to 1CCing arcade shmups
I gave this a whirl last night. Struggled for my first few credits, then once I'd gotten a fully-powered up ship, the thing almost played itself. Ended up with 6 lives in stock but lost the lot on a horrible pink/purple side-scrolling level where I quite literally couldn't tell which bits of scenery were lethal - an issue throughout the game actually.

Quite enjoyable though, and that side-scrolling tune is impossible catchy. Sounds very Mega Drive-ish.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

To Far Away Times wrote:I'd say Mushi Futari Black Label Original is probably the easiest CAVE clear to do with minimal experience.
I was going to say I don't understand how someone could think this, but then I tried it again and on my second credit no-missed to the final stretch of stage 5 (first attempt scrubbed out on the stage 3 boss, I have very little experience with Futari in general). It's interesting how our perceptions can shift around based on what we're used to. Something like Deathsmiles is objectively much easier to shitclear than Futari BL, but when you're grappling with the controls and at risk at getting blindsided by stuff from all directions it feels a lot harder than it actually is, while generic vertical danmaku game is easily comprehended. Traditional console games have a similar effect on me - a game full of penalty weapons and blind deaths to enemy gimmicks, where progress demands experience as opposed to merely being desirable, is always going to feel like hard work compared to something I can conceivably gorilla clear, regardless of how trivial it is once I know what I'm doing.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Lethe wrote:I was going to say I don't understand how someone could think this
The Black Label version of Futari has two heavily powered up shot types that generally mow down bosses rapidly. Reco in particular has a screen filling, lock on shot that is quite possibly the most powerful shot type in any shmup if it weren't for enemies being designed to be able to fire before you can kill them. Add to that your powerful bombs, how lots of stuff can simply be tap dodged left or right, it's really not a daunting 1CC by any means. The game is quite tricky if played for score though as rank can jump up dramatically when scoring in Original.

Deathsmiles isn't too tough for an arcade shmup relatively speaking thanks to resources either, but having to pay attention to enemies showing up on all sides adds an extra layer of challenge to things.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I played Palm. Played three credits of 1.5 (ab/norm/ab), the second of which game overed on the final phase (because I didn't get the 1up). 1.5's bosses are easier than BL's IMO, they don't take much longer to kill and there's far less crap on the screen. The stages are harder though. Then I got bored of the absurd delay on focus switching and Cave Tap-Tastic™ gameplay. Which reminds me of something I forgot to mention above, however obvious it may be: Your perception of how easy something is will also change proportionate to how much you enjoy it and how invested you are.

Anyway, my point is, I can't see either Futari being objectively the easiest Cave game. Compare how much activity goes into playing them to something like DDP C-S where you can fall asleep for the first four stages and then spam bombs continuously as soon as the game threatens you with making a cutback, or minimum level Deathsmiles where next to nothing is happening for a big chunk of the game and then you magically get full resources for the final boss. If you gave someone with absolutely no preconceptions about shmups Futari BL and Deathsmiles, I'd bet they'd do much better with the latter.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Gate of Thunder. Also has decent scoring, somewhat rare among console exclusives.

Kyukyoku Tiger II is a pretty cool game.

The first Gradius for sure. Gradius Gaiden as well.

Space Moth rocks.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
To Far Away Times

DoDonPachi is considerably less predictable than Futari Black Label's constant streaming. Begining in stage 4 in DDP, if you don't know what you're doing you're going to face some really vicious spread attacks. You get something like ~30 bombs during a 1-ALL, and it's hard to adjust to being able to bomb so much. I'd say DDP is solidly moderate in its difficulty, but its not a freebie clear by any means.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Despatche wrote:Space Moth rocks.
Ahhh thanks for mentioning it! I have it and I somehow completely forgot about it.
Really relaxing, beautiful game, I strongly recommend it, it's often on sale on Steam for a couple bucks.

Also Ten and Till, I really liked that game and didn't find it too difficult.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yeah, Ten and Till also rocks.

I seem to remember Flying Red Barrel being a pretty relaxing clear. It's a very MileStone-ish game.

Gekidan Machina is a game with lots of different ways to play it. A good chunk of those ways are not super difficult. The sheer choice is silly, though.

I think I was going to say Infinos Gaiden. It's not a super hard game, but it's not a faceroll clear either. Really, Infinos in general, including Battle Crust, is probably good for this.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

DDP DOJ Tamashii. Easy mod.
endali

Post by endali »

Mushihimesama 1.5 Original. That was my first cave 1cc.
pja

Post by pja »

Despatche wrote: The first Gradius for sure.
Is the NES port, like, considerably harder than the arcade version? Because if it isn't, I don't think this belongs anywhere near "easy". I'm trying this one perodically and I basically keep dying at the moai stage, and having to mash the shoot button really discourages me from prolonged play sessions ;)
John4300

Post by John4300 »

pja wrote:
Is the NES port, like, considerably harder than the arcade version? Because if it isn't, I don't think this belongs anywhere near "easy". I'm trying this one perodically and I basically keep dying at the moai stage, and having to mash the shoot button really discourages me from prolonged play sessions ;)
I think a big thing with "easy" and fun 1cc is that one needs to find the right flavor for themselves. For me, some Gradius games were the first 1cc shmups I did, but I've heard from some players who play some crazy complex bullet hells that Gradius games are rather difficult. I personally never found easier Gradius games that difficult, and I'm really bad at anything like Dodonpachi or similar.

So this list overall might be skewed to direction or other, and one really needs to try out a variety of games to find their fun and "easy" 1cc. Sometimes an "easy" 1cc might be a harder game that just clicks with you.
To Far Away Times

John4300 wrote:
pja wrote:
I think a big thing with "easy" and fun 1cc is that one needs to find the right flavor for themselves. For me, some Gradius games were the first 1cc shmups I did, but I've heard from some players who play some crazy complex bullet hells that Gradius games are rather difficult. I personally never found easier Gradius games that difficult, and I'm really bad at anything like Dodonpachi or similar.

So this list overall might be skewed to direction or other, and one really needs to try out a variety of games to find their fun and "easy" 1cc. Sometimes an "easy" 1cc might be a harder game that just clicks with you.
Some hori's like Gradius are very punishing on death, and I'll usually approach games like that as if they have to be no missed all the way through. So while the moment to moment dodging in Gradius 1 isn't too demanding, it's almost neccisary to be perfect throughout the whole game. You can get away with a dumb death or two in DoDonPachi and make up for it elsewhere.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Blast Wind on Saturn is a pleasant breeze to pass through.

Steel Empire on GBA is another that comes to mind as being pretty easy. Not sure how it compares to the Mega Drive original.

And I've had some good fun 1CC'ing Psikyo shooters on "Monkey" difficulty. Gunbird 2 and Strikers 1945 Part II come to mind. With the enemies tuned down, I've played as more of a game of chaining the 2000-point coins or gold bars.
Zero Gunner II is relatively easy even on default difficulty iirc.

Sylphia on PC-Engine is easy to 1CC.
To Far Away Times

I don't think I've seen Imperishable Night recommended yet.

It's one of, if not the easiest, Touhou games. The main character has a very generous death bomb window (at the cost of two bombs), that makes this one very player frendly. It also has a built in spell practice mode to practice a few of the gimmick patterns. This one was also my first 1CC.

Very doable for beginners.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Clearing the first loop of Sonic Wings 3 is very easy.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

So after struggling with some of the patterns on the final boss rush in Radiant Silvergun's Saturn mode, I decided to see if playing Touhou would improve my pattern reading skills.

I still don't know the answer to that, but turns out Touhou EOSD is pretty easy on easy. Got the 1CC on like my 6th credit.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

GG Aleste 1 for the win!!! Probably can 1CC on normal on the first try.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Koa Zo wrote:Steel Empire on GBA is another that comes to mind as being pretty easy. Not sure how it compares to the Mega Drive original.
Steel Empire on Mega Drive/Genesis is actually easier, and WAY better than the borked GBA version. Well worth playing, and a relatively easy clear. I hadn't played it in years when I picked it back up a couple years ago. Within a month's time, I had managed to clear the game with optimal craft selection, sub-optimal craft selection, an all plane run, and an all dirigible run. Lots of fun!
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

From personal experience, I'd say:

Thunderforce AC / Thunderforce III
R-type Leo
Darius Twin (Super Famicom)
Gradius / Nemesis (Arcade or Famicom)
Salamander / Life Force (Famicom)
Prehistoric Isle 2
Fantasy Zone
Dariusburst AC:EX (A path)

edit: Add Elemental Master (Genesis / Mega Drive) to the list, on normal it took only about 2-3 hours of play to be able to clear it.
Last edited by GGA_HAN on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Mero wrote:Clearing the first loop of Sonic Wings 3 is very easy.
I'm working on this at the moment. Using the two Russian girls, I can get to ST5 consistently but the bosses are getting a bit giddy by this point, and the ship just seems to power down randomly, upon which it becomes pretty useless.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Digmac

Post by Digmac »

Marc wrote:
Mero wrote:Clearing the first loop of Sonic Wings 3 is very easy.
I'm working on this at the moment. Using the two Russian girls, I can get to ST5 consistently but the bosses are getting a bit giddy by this point, and the ship just seems to power down randomly, upon which it becomes pretty useless.
This is normal in Sonic Wings games. Your most powerful shot only lasts for a certain amount of time before you power down automatically. The game is pretty gracious with power ups so it’s not a big deal. Blazers is the best plane in SW3 in my opinion.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Over Horizon on NES is the easiest shmup I've ever played that I also very much enjoyed. Here's a blind clear from some fella!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Over Horizon looks neat, I'd never heard of it before!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Sorcer Striker and Mahou Daisakusen, between SUPEREASY and SUPERHARD 8)
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Starfighter wrote:Over Horizon on NES is the easiest shmup I've ever played that I also very much enjoyed. Here's a blind clear from some fella!
Great recommendation. Thank you. I had never of it either. Really enjoying it.
Jbrodack

Post by Jbrodack »

Good suggestions here I'll have to try some since I'm not great at shmups. Also appreciate the notes that not everyone's definition of easy is the same. I know I've tried gradius 1 and definitely didn't find it easy. I could get far on gradius 3 snes easy but after a death I'd usually be screwed.

I'll add Task Force Kampas and Armed 7 normal difficulty. If I can 1cc them should be easy for anyone here.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Override on PCE is pretty relaxing.