FUN and “EASY” 1CCs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Licorice

Re: FUN and “EASY” 1CCs

Post by Licorice »

Oh, I mentioned I 1CC'd Axelay in the other thread. It was amazing, and not too difficult. The vertical stages might offend at first, but they grow on you and turn out to be something quite unique and fun. The horizontal stages are top tier stuff from what I've played. Highly recommend it.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Cleared Cotton 100% for Super Famicon last night. Pretty breezy. Especially if you use the bubble shield. Also looks fantastic and doesn't lag or flicker too badly for a SNES game.

Also, gonna mention Space Megaforce/Super Aleste. Such an awesome SNES game. Amazing use of Mode 7, and probably the most technically robust shooter on the system with no lag. Compile knew what they were doing and it shows.

For a newer game, Raging Blasters on Steam and Switch (Japanese e shop) is very relaxed on normal. It feels like a cross between Soldier Blade and Eschatos.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

If you're not playing on hardware, modern emulators can disable sprite flicker for you.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Tiger Heli for the NES. Really archaic, kinda ugly and slow but I had fun with the easy and short first run.

Saidaioujous 360 version and the novice mode are more on the easy side without being brain dead like the one of futari.
Uncle Taco

Post by Uncle Taco »

Gaiaseed: Project Seed Trap on PS1 is really accessible: your ship has a shield and can take multiple hits, and the difficulty doesn't really ramp up until the final boss and even then it's not too crazy. The real difficulty is in finding a copy: the game itself is one of the rarest PlayStation titles, selling for like $350 US these days, but luckily it was released on PSN for like $7 if you have a PS3.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Playinf Thunder Force AC at the moment. Its fun and easy. Especially with the kids mode of the switch version.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

As can be witnessed in the appropriate highscore thread, I've been playing a lot of Sisters Royale lately. While I wouldn't call the game easy per se, it's extremely generous when it comes to handing out extends and extra bombs, so with a minimum of thought put into resource distribution, a clear isn't too hard to achieve even for lesser skilled players.

However, the real fun begins once you find out that you get even more resources thrown at you, and quicker, if you score well. Scoring in this game is equivalent to taking risks, so there's a really nice balance going on.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Made an 1LC (no miss) run in Thunder Force AC. Was not so hard as well :D https://youtu.be/O2Vhf9JSuiU
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I figured there's no sense in creating a new one on the exact same topic. :) I have a couple of more suggestions and a question.

Fun and easy* 1CCs: * = I guess it goes without saying but easy for me, we all have different styles, tastes, strengths and weaknesses.

My question: Is there no other way to (legally) get Futari Black label other than the PCB or through XBLA (if it's even available anymore)? This thread made me want to play it. :D
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Gradius V
donluca

Post by donluca »

Not the easiest 1CC ever, but I feel like Klorets should be mentioned here.

It's ESP Galuda inspired and the huge cancels are immensely satisfying.
The game is very generous with the resources it gives you, tons of extra lives if you play wisely.

Plus, it's free and it runs on your browser: https://nizakashii.itch.io/klorets
davyK

Post by davyK »

Any Cave port with a novice mode is a good shout. Though Futari's Novice Original is a bit too easy and SDOJ novice is on the harder end of the spectrum.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Caves novice modes are sadly often way to easy and because of that for the most people not fun.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Angry Hina wrote:Caves novice modes are sadly often way to easy and because of that for the most people not fun.
Even "too easy" novice modes at least can help to build up confidence, right? Sure, some games suffer immensely from being stripped of even their most basic challenge, but I think I'd rather have the option there for people who need it than shutting them out. I mean when a player feels "this is too easy to be fun" it just means they're ready for the next difficulty level. :)
donluca

Post by donluca »

I've always felt that if CAVE disabled auto bombing on Futari Easy Ultra it would have make it a fantastic 1CC to achieve.

The gameplay is immensely satisfying and there are some situations where it gets pretty messy and you need to have some kind of plan, but you can mostly always get out of it.

The problem is that autobombing makes it kind of braindead.

EDIT: I still play it for scoring.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The fact that the autobombs don't take up your entire bomb stock was a poor design choice. It does make it way too easy. Autobombs should also always be weaker than manual bombs so as to still incentivize using manual bombs.

It's fun to play for a no-miss clear at least.
jehu

Post by jehu »

A game mentioned once in the thread, but I'll expand: Prehistoric Isle 2

In its Japanese variant, Prehistoric Isle 2 has a very generous, refillable health system. Powerups are abundant, the stages are simple, and the recoveries feel like charity. There are a couple bosses that might present a little trouble for novice players, but it's easy to overcome them with the abundant bombs and their generous I-frames.

And the game's aesthetic compliments the play-dough softness of its difficulty. Budget pre-renders of screeching, bug-eyed dinosaurs not even fit for bootleg claymation Jurassic Park. It's sub-B-level camp in gaming, and it's glorious.

Readily available on Neogeo ACA or wherever else you source your SNK games.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Dodonpachi. No troll, just pick C-S or whatever and bombspam. People like bombspam, right?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

DDP with C-S, when played with the right mindset isn't too spicy.

Learn to no miss the first three stages which isn't that hard to do, and you'll have 30ish bombs for the last 10 minutes/3 stages. You can bomb every 20 or 30 seconds! On my 1-ALL I was pre-bombing stuff, wasn't even trying to react to anything that had killed me previously from stage 4 and on.

I think CAVE's easiest games are probably Deathsmiles and then Futari BL Original. Mushihimesama Original and Espgaluda are also on the easy side. Espgaluda is probably the easiest until the final boss, but that boss does take some practice and memorization. DonPachi's US version refills your bomb stock after every level.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

kid aphex wrote:Gradius V
This is not April 1st yet.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

copy-paster wrote:
kid aphex wrote:Gradius V
This is not April 1st yet.
Honestly though, Gradius V scales well with difficulty levels. It's rather brutal on Normal but Very Easy removes some of the more mean things in the game while still keeping it entertaining. You can then hop up the difficulties. It's just a rather long game. Personally, I find Gradius V much easier than DoDonPachi... But I guess it's the difference of which type of shmups you prefer.

Gradius Gaiden is probably a better pick however if one wants to try a good and easier Gradius game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Despatche wrote:Dodonpachi. No troll, just pick C-S or whatever and bombspam. People like bombspam, right?
To Far Away Times wrote:DDP with C-S, when played with the right mindset isn't too spicy.
Looks like I'm trying C-S bombspam soon.

Well, I game overed on stage 2 boss. Then I game overed on stage 1. How the hell am I supposed to play this game again? I don't remember. Maybe I'll try again next year or whatever.
PalazzoRecover

Post by PalazzoRecover »

Gradius V is stellar - and I like Gaiden a lot too, though I haven't played it as much - but I think both games are several steps up in difficulty from even Gradius 2 (AC), which itself is a fair bit harder than the first Gradius.

Gradius AC and its home ports, Gradius III SNES, and Interstellar Assault on GB are probably the easiest Gradius games I've put time into - though the first two especially need some adjustment because of their big hitboxes and classic Gradius recoveries - and are probably the ones I'd first recommend to genre beginners or people looking for some chill, easier clears, even if Gaiden and V are stronger games overall.
Anonymous Goldfish

Post by Anonymous Goldfish »

thunder force v its ez to 1cc but still fun
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Anonymous Goldfish wrote:thunder force v its ez to 1cc but still fun
Most Technosoft games, except for maybe Thunder force IV since it's kinda hard, fit the bill for me.

Elemental Master, Thunderforce III, Thunderforce V, Blast Wind... they made a lot of really cool games.

I haven't 1CC'd Hyper Duel, but I made pretty quick progress in it after a few days (up to stage 6 or so), so that one didn't seem too hard either unless there is a massive difficulty spike at the end.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Gotta stick Drainus in here. It's a lot of fun.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
bcass

Post by bcass »

Gradius V
Dodonpachi
Not in any dimension are these games easy. Not even close. Even Plasmo, regarded as a very good player by most people's standards, is on record as saying Gradius V is difficult. DDP also ranks quite high on the Japanese STG Difficulty Wiki in the 1CC bracket.
donluca

Post by donluca »

I'm afraid that all those lists are compiled (no pun intended) by people experienced in shmups, so their views are a bit skewered.

We'd need a "n00b" list made by people (such as myself) which are mostly clueless about shmups to give a "proper" list of games that are easy to clear.
Steven

Post by Steven »

donluca wrote:We'd need a "n00b" list made by people (such as myself) which are mostly clueless about shmups to give a "proper" list of games that are easy to clear.
Okay. Here you go, a list by me, a dude with ~1 year of experience in STGs

Eschatos on easy difficulty
Thunder Force III
Thunder Force AC (with autofire, easier than Thunder Force III)
Thunder Spirits if you are okay with a sub-par Thunder Force AC
M2 ShotTriggers games on super easy (don't be surprised if you no miss every one of them on your first time playing aside from maybe Garegga, which you'll still probably 1CC on your first try with little effort even if you do die)
Slap Fight
Slap Fight MD
Gleylancer
R-Type Final 2 (especially if you use the Leo2, which basically breaks the game on any difficulty below R-Typer)
Hishouzame, even without super easy mode
Crimzon Clover novice mode
GG Aleste 3
Same! Same! Same! on MD on easy. Fire Shark on Genesis is easier than the Japanese version, so yeah
Shock Troopers (if Out Zone counts as STG, so does Shock Troopers. Play the set 2 version on MVS and set the character limit to 8 and you'll have all 8 characters, and therefore 8 lives, to get through the game)
Andro Dunos II
Soukyuugurentai on the easiest difficulty setting isn't too bad

I'm sure at least some of these have been mentioned before, and I am certain there is something that I forgot or don't know about.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

I think what most people are looking for is related to "arcade default settings" and not easy settings, like you mention in Soukyuugurentai.

Specially in arcade games, i don't think the developers balanced the game taking in consideration other modes besides "standard difficulty". Sometimes they implement significant changes in different regions, but all the players (and super players) use "default settings" when they go for score or 1CC.

But thanks for your input.