Aka to Blue on android, does it have controller support?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Photons

Aka to Blue on android, does it have controller support?

Post by Photons »

Just wondering if anyone knows if its got controller support on android, I've had it on ios since it came out but just need to know before I double dip! I was lucky enough to play it at Mikado arcade for a night a few years ago and I got the soundtrack and the poster which I laminated! I really hope that its not eternally bound to the exa arcade and they do a home console edition one day, I mean I get the whole idea behind the exa but damn I hope its not the last we hear of the game!
Mills

Re: Aka to Blue on android, does it have controller support?

Post by Mills »

Not that you need it but some Android gaming smartphones have this add-on controller device that you attach to your smartphone.

See one demonstrated on a Motorola G9-Play phone on YouTube but don't know what brand of the controller device. Guessing you could search online and see what devices are compatible out there.

Now that you mention this, I would like to find out to make my smartphone play a little easier than running my thumb over the screen trying to 2CC this
https://youtu.be/Rla4bl_BZLw
SPM

Post by SPM »

I haven't played it, but iirc Mark said in a video that the game only allowed touch controls. The game is built around that, isn't it? I mean... a controller has a "fixed" max speed, but touch controls don't (your finger speed?)

video: https://youtu.be/P_FAGZWKVPQ
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

It doesn't.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

It can be mapped to a keyboard, controller or stick via the Android emulator BlueStacks.

Mouse movement can be mapped to a controller with Joy2Key.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

SPM wrote:I haven't played it, but iirc Mark said in a video that the game only allowed touch controls. The game is built around that, isn't it? I mean... a controller has a "fixed" max speed, but touch controls don't (your finger speed?)

video: https://youtu.be/P_FAGZWKVPQ
Personally I dont see any reason why sticks wouldnt work. Its not much different from typical Cave STG's (which have been balanced for arcade/console but ported to mobile in many cases).

I find Aka unplayable on mobile personally. I get sick of obscuring the screen with my thumb and bullet hell is just uncomfortable to play like this. I really wish it had a controller option.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Yeah, I don't know. But some hazards designed to trap you or force you micro-dodge can be macro-dodged with a fast moving finger and not a controller, and vice versa. That's why I said so.

This is one reason I don't like arcade shmups on my phone. The other is having my finger blocking the screen and rubbing the screen constantly.

Hope they manage to port it to other systems with a proper control though
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I find the controller support thing confusing. You would think games on iOS with controller support would have it on Android and vice versa (at least for more recent games), but that's not always the case. If I remember correctly, Dariusburst SP doesn't have controller support on iOS, but does have it on Android. Some of the other Taito games are the other way around.
Radford12

Post by Radford12 »

If you do not have a controller, then you can click on the switch button to switch the built-in LED esp8266 you should notice that the game controller on the screen shows the live actions that you do on your controller If nothing happens, try closing the application, and try again.

UPSers