Slap Fight MD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Firehawke

Slap Fight MD

Post by Firehawke »

I recently decided to try getting a bit serious with the MD port of Slap Fight and I came away with a few important questions.

Is the default difficulty easier than the arcade version? It feels like it is, because I can't see any other reason I'd be able to do four loops. Is the shield mechanic different? I seem to recall the arcade version draining over time as well as for hits against it. Lastly, is it just me or does it get to be physically impossible to recover past loop 4 because the bullets are too fast for your default movement to keep up with?

The game itself is pretty good (and it's one I used to play a lot when I was a kid) but it's probably not one of the most balanced efforts out of Toaplan.

Oh, one other question-- what do I do to trigger the Space Invader and I assume that's for just points for every shot on him?
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Re: Slap Fight MD

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

iirc for the space invader you just need to have shot equipped just like how the trees need lasers and the secret panels need missiles (and some other trees need bomb, oddly enough. I never tested if you could trigger them by having bomb but swap to laser for big score)
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Firehawke wrote:Is the shield mechanic different? I seem to recall the arcade version draining over time as well as for hits against it.
Your questions answered ITT Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There's a hidden toaplan mode where the shield behavior is closer to the AC version. The code is something like pressing A, B, and C at the same time in the option menu while exit is highlighted or something along those lines.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ NINJAD U BRIAN ;3 ;3 ;3
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Well, that certainly explains why I found MD to be significantly easier. Now I feel like I shouldn't have even touched it as getting to loop five was a useless accomplishment.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Slap Fight MD is a whole separate mode. Toaplan code works for that mode too. It's pretty much a new game and definitely worth touching. Especially for the Yuzo Koshiro music.