Play Out Zone, Today if Possible (feat. You Really Need to)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Play Out Zone, Today if Possible (feat. You Really Need to)

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Out Zone is a very good game by the Toa Plantation and you should go play it.

Out Zone has at least 5 great features that provide fun for the whole family:
-Flamethrower
-Energy Drink
-Wuss Ball ™
-Counterstop
-Men
-????

Featuring patented scroll control © technology you can practice either of the two popular meta Out Zone playstyles and refine it into perfection

Code: Select all

Super Space Sniper ® - The methodical style which slowly scrolls the game, milks enemy spawns, stockpiles bombs and fishes for secrets.

Code: Select all

Pump Them With Bullets ® - The manly style which doesn't let go of the up button (excluding for bosses) and sees how far it can get. Infinite loops and counterstop means you can get away with this. We asked the police.
Please consult the following field guide for further operation details
Spoiler
Sweaty Trigger Technique: Every time you change direction, including diagonally, the laser and flamethrower weapons fire off another round. While the laser benefits more from autofire, the flamethrower does not, and while the flamethrower usually pales in comparison to the super ball, employing this technique by constantly shifting direction, but maintaining the flame on your target, will provide ridiculous amounts of damage. For example, it can kill the stage 2 boss immediately before its spiral can hit you, or the stage 4 boss before it can close in its saws even once, without bomb usage. This makes the burner the ultimate weapon.

Wuss Ball: The Super Ball is the safest weapon in the game. It makes aiming null and void, and goes through walls, cheesing the cramped tactical parts of the game. As such, it'll get you your first 1cc easily, and thus I advise that you do not use it. If you insist on using it, know that launching the ball does way more damage than just rotating it, but it pales in comparison to using the burner, let alone using the technique above.

I'm Immune to your bullets: Picking up any weapon powerup briefly makes you invincible.

Late Again: The train in a certain stage has a nasty pattern, but it can be fired on before it starts moving, making the fight very easy.
On Out Zone secrets
Spoiler
We don't know how to trigger the sharks in stage 2. Something to do with how you shoot the trees or what your score is, maybe?

On stage 1, there's a particularly big hole in the terrain on the left. You must have the three-way weapon equipped. With it, shoot the hole and a peculiar hitmark will appear. Keep shooting and the Toaplan mascot will pop out. He dies to your weapons, but not your bombs. Keep him alive until the boss for a big bonus.

Collect exactly 8 weapon change powerups and Zigs should start spawning (1 per stage) for you to shoot for bonuses. Collecting Ball/Burner does not mess with this counter. This might work in multiples of 8 but the best strategy is getting 8 then sticking to the two super weapons. The zigs appear from the edges of the screen, so you might destroy them instantly and get no bonus if you fire your weapons blindly.

Have exactly 7 bombs when you start stage 4, go through the big door and truxton/tatsujin man will show up to help you.

Walk to the upper right of the dead end lava pit on stage 3 and a bridge will spawn with point bonuses on it. You have to trigger the bridge by walking to this location first, and it's slightly to the right of the actual bridge. Click this for a screenshot of the exact positioning. Just walk up from there.
BUT WHY?
Spoiler
Play as either HIRED GUN or CYBER FORCE and face off against at least 10 different enemies, including two drones that only appear in front of the final boss and die in a few hits anyway. What??? Both characters bring brand new and original gameplay - their jackets have different color 8)

According to enemy intel at Wikipedia, you are cyborg mercenaries from THE OUT ZONE, an alien mercenary group, sent here to clean up alien trash and save the world! You decide to help the humans because you're like...the only human members of THE OUT ZONE or something. HOW TOUCHING!

According to a market cover, you are space colonists saving your outpost, THE OUT ZONE, from alien scum, and also rescuing your comrades.

According to the arcade game itself, DESTROY THEM ALL
Has one of the best shmup soundtracks ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ maybe

Go play it and fuck scores, it counterstops anyway, post how far you can get with no practice. I will allow you one restart to get comfortable. What are you waiting for? Play Out Zone - the game that makes you feel slightly more alive than you really are
Spoiler
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
ChurchOfSolipsism

Re: Play Out Zone, Today if Possible

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Does the guy with the eyepatch sweat diarrhoe?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Out Zone? More like OUT BONE because my boner tears my trousers apart when I play it Image

BTW please like & subscribe my fan art of THE CYBER FORCE :oops: Just imagine: VIC VIPER & 1942 team up with OUT ZONE to beat GYNOUG DICKMAN, who has replaced TREVOR FROM GTA's dong with an unfathomably powerful gravitational warhead. :shock: :cool:

Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I'm not playing Out Zone until you fix this travesty of a thread title (it's "You really need to play Out Zone").
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Lethe wrote:You really need to play Out Zone"

Hell yeah you do
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Does the guy with the eyepatch sweat diarrhoe?
It's clearly oil.
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BrianC

Re: Play Out Zone, Today if Possible (feat. You Really Need

Post by BrianC »

Tatsujin ship as option!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Found the exact positioning needed for the bridge secret. Updated OP with it. Fire sharks are still mysterious though.

Also some snooping revealed that stage 3 boss seems to be unkillable until it cuts the area up. It takes damage up to a certain point but even the burner technique + bombs won't kill it even though far less firepower will after he's done.
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Outzone is awesome. Great thread!
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote: -Wuss Ball ™
:lol:
PerishedFraud ឵឵

BIL wrote:BTW please like & subscribe my fan art of THE CYBER FORCE :oops: Just imagine: VIC VIPER & 1942 team up with OUT ZONE to beat GYNOUG DICKMAN, who has replaced TREVOR FROM GTA's dong with an unfathomably powerful gravitational warhead. :shock: :cool:
Spoiler
First he blows his ass off, then replaces his schwanzer with a warhead! Is this how Gynoug Dickman makes his demonic minions?! By twisting the lives of innocent men!?
PLAY OUT ZONE
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Plot spoilers:
Spoiler
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Jeneki wrote:Plot spoilers:
Spoiler
Set the region to JP and see what happens 8)
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

BIL wrote:Out Zone? More like OUT BONE because my boner tears my trousers apart when I play it Image

BTW please like & subscribe my fan art of THE CYBER FORCE :oops: Just imagine: VIC VIPER & 1942 team up with OUT ZONE to beat GYNOUG DICKMAN, who has replaced TREVOR FROM GTA's dong with an unfathomably powerful gravitational warhead. :shock: :cool:

LMFAO, why is he holding an oversized cardiac pacemaker?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well u see, after a routine checkup with a traitorous surgeon who was on GYNOUG DICKMAN's payroll, TREVOR FROM GTA's dong and balls were replaced with a mighty gravitational warhead! Now, his next hard-on will obliterate the space-time continuum, dooming him to a lifetime of impotence, anti-hardon pills, and the incessant beeping of a jerry-rigged cardiac suppressor, all to keep his next reality-shattering rod at bay! :sad:

TREVOR FROM GTA: “Every night, I can feel my [REDACTED]… and my [CENSORED]… even my [DELETED]. The [VERY RUDE] I’ve lost… the [DUN BAN ME PLS] I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting! It’s like they’re all still there! You feel it, too, don’t you?!

I'm going to make him give it all back!”

1942: "What the heck? Look pal, I just signed up to kill some nips and get a little poontang. Sorry about your pecker, though. Had a buddy at Pearl Harbor, he got both of his -"

VIC VIPER: "If we don't get Trevor's junk fixed, there's no future for any of us.

Let's roll."
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

OutZone to me always felt like the best unofficial Star Wars / Flash Gordon / Pulp Raygun Scifi simulator. Dudes running down sci-fi cooridoors cover shooting pew pew lasers vs hordes of armored mook alien/stormtroopers.

Great game.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Toaplan's finest.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Out Bone 2.
Spoiler
The CYBER FORCE has diffused the warhead and instead replaced Trevor's dong with a rocket launcher, but to finally kill Gynoug Dickman they must travel to the Forbidden Dimension in search for the only weapon strong enough to defeat him, if it doesn't prove to be too powerful to even be wielded!
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:The CYBER FORCE has diffused the warhead and replaced Trevor's dong with a rocket launcher
Suddenly Spinal Breakers makes a lot more sense
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Acid

Post by Acid »

Out Zone looks cool as hell. I'm patiently waiting for M2 to start releasing their Toaplan ports to the PS4.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Squire Grooktook wrote:OutZone to me always felt like the best unofficial Star Wars / Flash Gordon / Pulp Raygun Scifi simulator. Dudes running down sci-fi cooridoors cover shooting pew pew lasers vs hordes of armored mook alien/stormtroopers.
Sounds to me like you're looking for Xain'd Sleena, another great game, mind you. Starring Han Fett.
DMC

Post by DMC »

How does FixEight compare to Outzone? I have not played the successor much at all.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

DMC wrote:How does FixEight compare to Outzone? I have not played the successor much at all.
+More balanced overall
+Replayability due to characters
+Lizard
+Easier

-Slower
-Worse Design Direction
-Worse Music
-Easier
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

From the perspective of a scrubby 1-ALL I found JP FixEight way harder than Out Zone. The international version seems pathetic by comparison though.

Also fuck not being able to tell what a special item will do and all the tedious platform navigation.
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:+More balanced overall
+Replayability due to characters
+Lizard
+Easier
+MAKE MY DAYEE Image
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

I played both of these games today for the first time. I don't get the love for Outzone against Fixeight.

Fixeight looks better (better colors, more animation, faster, smoother than outzone).

Fixeight doesn't have that goddam checkpoint system (instant respawn on death will always be preferable to me).

Fixeight has 8 different characters each with multiple weapon types, lots of variety.

Given everything I would pick Fixeight every time, I just don't get the love for Outzone unless you're a massochist who likes crappier everything :P

Full disclosure: I historically have always preferred Shock Troopers 2nd Squad over the original if that means anything :D
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Redfox wrote:
Spoiler
I played both of these games today for the first time. I don't get the love for Outzone against Fixeight.

Fixeight looks better (better colors, more animation, faster, smoother than outzone).

Fixeight doesn't have that goddam checkpoint system (instant respawn on death will always be preferable to me).

Fixeight has 8 different characters each with multiple weapon types, lots of variety.

Given everything I would pick Fixeight every time, I just don't get the love for Outzone unless you're a massochist who likes crappier everything :P

Full disclosure: I historically have always preferred Shock Troopers 2nd Squad over the original if that means anything :D
Fixeight

Outzone
UD2

Post by UD2 »

Redfox wrote:I played both of these games today for the first time. I don't get the love for Outzone against Fixeight.

There's a few major issues that really keep me from enjoying FixEight.

The music is terrible, probably the worst in Toaplan's entire library. Out Zone, on the other hand, is among their best.

Stage design is okay, but nothing close to Out Zone's brilliant layouts. FixEight feels slow and plodding, while Out Zone is for the most part a fast-paced, shoot-like-crazy experience that almost plays like a traditional shmup since you really don't stop moving very often.

FixEight's design doesn't really seem to be geared for instant respawns. In Out Zone, each checkpoint is a fun little puzzle (except the recovery on the stage 6 boss, that can go right to hell). FixEight feels a lot sloppier. Instant respawns can work as shown by countless games, but FixEight doesn't do them well.

Sure, the hardware used for FixEight is a lot newer, but I still think Out Zone is a better looking game (artistically).

Anyway, I'd highly encourage giving Out Zone another go.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

UD2 wrote:In Out Zone, each checkpoint is a fun little puzzle (except the recovery on the stage 6 boss, that can go right to hell)
I sometimes wonder if Toaplan did this deliberately. There's always a couple of completely BS recoveries in what are otherwise games seemingly designed around recovery.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Jokes and opinions aside, Fixeight is definitely a better title to start with. It's much easier to beat and way more noob-friendly. When you master Fixeight moving to OZ will be quite satisfying imo.
Licorice wrote:I sometimes wonder if Toaplan did this deliberately. There's always a couple of completely BS recoveries in what are otherwise games seemingly designed around recovery.
You can find it in a lot of games, some are by design and some are by bad design. Compared to something like the Gradius series recovering in OZ is fine unless you die in that one specific place.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

I always end up falling into pits in Outzone.