18th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dmk1198

Re: 18th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

Post by dmk1198 »

dmk1198 wrote:
Bydobasher wrote:
dmk1198 wrote:We gonna get whole list soon nifty?
We already did! 8 posts up, dated March 6, 12:33 pm.
Thnx man musta missed it

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Out of curiosity
How is out zone allowed?
It's half run n gun

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
buggle

Post by buggle »

the rules stated that because everyones definition of shmup is different and no ones drawn that line after the decades weve been here, you can put games that some may not feel are a shmup as long as they were in one of the approved "could be argued to be a shmup" categories and you felt it was a shmup. its how i managed to include granada
RuySan

Post by RuySan »

You know what would be interesting? Doing a top 25 western shmups :D
qmish

Post by qmish »

RuySan wrote:You know what would be interesting? Doing a top 25 western shmups :D
That would be epic.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

qmish wrote:
RuySan wrote:You know what would be interesting? Doing a top 25 western shmups :D
That would be epic.
Damn, I'm not even sure I could make a Top 5. They'd probably all be homebrew games is my guess. Are there any notable western shmups on this forum? Sine Mora? Tyrian?

Maybe we could call it the Top 25 least bad western shmups.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A few have made my ballot in the past, including Zero Ranger (Finnish), Blue Revolver (scottish), and Monolith (Polish?). A couple of eurodevs making up for decades of the worst shit ever unleashed on the home computer scene :wink:
To Far Away Times

EmperorIng wrote:A few have made my ballot in the past, including Zero Ranger (Finnish), Blue Revolver (scottish), and Monolith (Polish?). A couple of eurodevs making up for decades of the worst shit ever unleashed on the home computer scene :wink:
Monolith is cool AF but IMO its not really a shmup.

Blue Revolver is a good game, I had no idea that was made in the west.

Zero Ranger seems like a good game, but I've not really played it beyond a few credits. Seems solid though.
RuySan

Post by RuySan »

To Far Away Times wrote:
qmish wrote:
That would be epic.
Damn, I'm not even sure I could make a Top 5. They'd probably all be homebrew games is my guess. Are there any notable western shmups on this forum? Sine Mora? Tyrian?

Maybe we could call it the Top 25 least bad western shmups.
Apidya and Jamestown are genuinely great shmups.

And in no way I would put Sine Mora in any top list. What a terrible game.

The list would probably be filled with flawed, but fun Amiga games such as Banshee, Agony, Disposable Hero, Hybris, Battle Squadron and the likes.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Western shmups that I enjoy: Garden Of Colored Lights by Linley Henzell (Australia), Self Destruct by Terry Cavanagh (England), Jamestown+, Euro-trash Jet Lancer, and Steredenn. Oh and Danmaku Unlimited 2 and 3 are made by a Canadian!

What about run n guns, how come there hasn't been an annual thing with run n guns?
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Eyvah_Ehyeh wrote:What about run n guns, how come there hasn't been an annual thing with run n guns?
We don't consider run'n'guns as shmups.
That would be fascinating, but I would find it hard to fill my ballot . . . there is Gorf, there is Apidya, there is . . . I'm not sure what else....
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Bydobasher wrote:
Eyvah_Ehyeh wrote:What about run n guns, how come there hasn't been an annual thing with run n guns?
We don't consider run'n'guns as shmups.
That would be fascinating, but I would find it hard to fill my ballot . . . there is Gorf, there is Apidya, there is . . . I'm not sure what else....
I realize that most don't consider shmups run n guns, but considering that some run n guns, arguably, still find themselves onto the top lists, AND considering that many people here play run n guns AND that one could argue both run n guns and shmups go under the umbrella of "shooters", I would assume that many here would find that kind of list interesting, hence my surprise that I haven't seen one here. I mean is there even a forum for run n guns where that sort of thing would be discussed, rather than just on these forums, even though they're not shmups, techically?
MrOldSchoolCool

Post by MrOldSchoolCool »

What exactly is the deal with the SNES version of Gradius III again? I know it's infamous for it's slowdown, but compared to the arcade version it's actually less impossible to beat and that's why people here like it? If somebody could clarify this, it would be much appreciated.

Also, why has Batsugun fallen so far over the years? Is it because it's a more straightforward experience compared to some of the other games? That's always been what I've liked about it. I suppose not having any ports since the Saturn port (which is ridiculously expensive now) isn't helping either.
To Far Away Times

MrOldSchoolCool wrote:What exactly is the deal with the SNES version of Gradius III again? I know it's infamous for it's slowdown, but compared to the arcade version it's actually less impossible to beat and that's why people here like it? If somebody could clarify this, it would be much appreciated.
I like to think of SNES Gradius III more like a director's cut than a port.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

To Far Away Times wrote:
MrOldSchoolCool wrote:What exactly is the deal with the SNES version of Gradius III again? I know it's infamous for it's slowdown, but compared to the arcade version it's actually less impossible to beat and that's why people here like it? If somebody could clarify this, it would be much appreciated.
I like to think of SNES Gradius III more like a director's cut than a port.
I've never seen past the 4th stage of Arcade Gradius 3 outside YT videos (and believe me I've put a chunk of time into it since the ACA release) but yes the SNES will always be my favourite version of the game.
mr_blastman

Post by mr_blastman »

This list is bogus because there no mention of any Compile shooters whatsoever such as Zanac.

Also, Game Arts is missing because there's no mention of the original 1986 Silpheed.
Chrome Head

Post by Chrome Head »

I had never, ever heard of Cho Ren Sha 68K. Found the link to the standalone version that runs on PC. Great shooter, very fun!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

So impressed by the quality of the list. I’ve never played the three games that are PC-specific, but the rest are undeniably high quality. Good work, team!