New danmaku STG "Void Gore" for Switch...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

New danmaku STG "Void Gore" for Switch...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the USA region Switch eShop listed today, 2-17-2021, is a new danmaku stg that goes by the name of Void Gore. It's made by the same dev team whom has done Project Starship X & a few other mini stg titles. I like the overall old school Famicom/Nes visual aesthetics vibe presentation (reminds me of the classic Nes stg title of Abadox indeed). VG is a mere 335mb d/l & hardly takes any space memory-wise. I like the upgrades that you can buy to add to your fightercraft -- a nod towards the shop featured in the DC port of Mars Matrix.

Void Gore has leaderboards to keep track of the high scores.

Quite a solid Stg for the Switch.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ATTRACTS

Re: New danmaku STG "Void Gore" for Switch...

Post by ATTRACTS »

I dunno about this one. I guess for $4.00 you could do worse but the levels are all exactly the same (flying over a canyon) and there are like maybe, 5 enemy types for the entire game. You see the entire thing after the first 5 minutes.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

This is giving me Red Death vibes......
I'd rather play Sine Mora than Red Death.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

XoPachi wrote:This is giving me Red Death vibes......
I'd rather play Sine Mora than Red Death.
The entire thing revolves around a gimmick of this circle you have around you that can cancel enemy bullets and/or the enemies themselves. It would be interesting if the ship you are controlling had any kind of maneuverability and the circle actually refreshed faster than a snails pace. Yes you can upgrade some things but it just becomes tedious. The other annoying thing is that for a tiny game with literally zero graphics, there are load times all over it. Die and want to start again quick? Can’t.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I've actually found this to be a fairly addictive little score chaser. It doesn't have much depth, but then, it's not designed to. It pulled me in with that "one more try" sort of vibe, and I've enjoyed it so far.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

I have to admit, I was 100% wrong about this little game. I was definitely not in the proper frame of mind at the time I first tried it. After spending some quality time with it today (and unlocking more speed/firepower), I am having a blast. It’s very one dimensional but for a throwback, almost Atari like experience, it’s pretty damn exhilarating once it gets moving. Quite simply a very pure, score based challenge, nothing more, nothing less but the ability to cancel enemies within that circle is really fun. Apologies for writing this one off so quickly earlier this year. Def a fun, inexpensive shooter.
velo

Post by velo »

This type of game seems to be its own little subsubsubgenre... so far I count Void Gore, Red Death, Null Drifter, and Binary Star. I am going off of screenshots alone; the only one I've actually played is Null Drifter, and while it's pretty fun, the bullets being the same color as everything else does kinda kill it for me. It's got a gazillion alternate palettes, but they're all monochrome.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

velo wrote:This type of game seems to be its own little subsubsubgenre... so far I count Void Gore, Red Death, Null Drifter, and Binary Star. I am going off of screenshots alone; the only one I've actually played is Null Drifter, and while it's pretty fun, the bullets being the same color as everything else does kinda kill it for me. It's got a gazillion alternate palettes, but they're all monochrome.
I think this one doesn't really fit into that grouping. This is a straight up score run, the stage never really changes and there are like 5 enemies tops. The other games you've mentioned have more levels/bosses. Visually I hear what you are saying about the others but I think this one is actually even more minimal in it's design. It's more of a caravan shooter than anything.
FRO

Post by FRO »

It's easy to see it as similar though, because it's from Arabong, and all the games from that dev seem to have similar elements, i.e. "Rogue-lite" elements, a non-linear progression, some degree of general wackiness to them, etc.