IBARA!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: IBARA!

Post by To Far Away Times »

Sumez wrote:A modded PS2 is definitely a preferable solution IMO.
But if you bought the console already pre-modded, there's a very good chance the seller probably used it to play DVD-R games, and IIRC the PS2 laser somehow gets damaged over time from reading DVD-R discs unless you also do some separate realignment mod. So pirated games have killed a lot of PS2 lasers. Not sure if it's fixable by just doing the mod later or if it's beyond repair and needs to be replaced.
I think every PS2 disc drive basically just wears itself out over time. Even stock PS2's are notorious for struggling to read both the blue CD format and silver DVD format. Many systems can only read one or the other, if any at all. If you must use actual PS2 hardware in 2022 I highly, highly recommend running the games off a harddrive.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!! After receiving the second modded console today I tested IBARA and it finally works PERFECT!!

WOW! What a game. fun, fun game! Can't wait After work to flip my pvm in TATE mode and have a blast.

So, all of you were right! It was definitely Hardware related. I was so worried not going to lie that it was the game. Thank you all for the advice!
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Jose1980 wrote:UPDATE!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!! After receiving the second modded console today I tested IBARA and it finally works PERFECT!!

WOW! What a game. fun, fun game! Can't wait After work to flip my pvm in TATE mode and have a blast.

So, all of you were right! It was definitely Hardware related. I was so worried not going to lie that it was the game. Thank you all for the advice!
Thats great news, I'm so pleased for you that it got sorted, this is an expensive hobby at the best of times. its good seeing these titles are being used and enjoyed.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I wish I had an Ibara PCB. I don't own any other JAMMA PCBs, I just want an Ibara PCB. I wish to play Ibara. Help
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You can pry it from my cold dead hands (not an actual suggestion)
Austin

Post by Austin »

I may have to look into getting a hard drive setup. I don't mind spending good money on a single shmup here and there that's going to give me a lot of replay value over the years, but the $300+ prices I'm seeing for the physical PS2 game on eBay right now is a little too rich for my blood. It's crazy to me they are even that high, considering there seems to be at least 20 copies on eBay at any given moment. They aren't exactly selling like hotcakes either.
Aurel

Post by Aurel »

I know it has been said here a few times and I think the same too: the level's background arts are too desaturated...
So I just made 2 rom patches to add more saturation on them for Ibara and Ibara Kuro BL :)

Here the xdeltas (roms are not included) : https://www.mediafire.com/file/g0w7kno5 ... d.rar/file
All backgrounds are updated (all levels) and nothing else has been changed

And here how it looks after :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ablkcs.png

I hope it will help to enjoy these games even more :)
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Good for you, dude. I've been toying with idea of getting a modded PS2 to run games off the HDD. Can I ask which seller you bought from?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

banjoted wrote:

Good for you, dude. I've been toying with idea of getting a modded PS2 to run games off the HDD. Can I ask which seller you bought from?
Something that caught my eye the other day was the MC2SIO. You don't need an HDD set-up anymore.
subcons

Post by subcons »

brokenhalo wrote:
banjoted wrote:

Something that caught my eye the other day was the MC2SIO. You don't need an HDD set-up anymore.
I saw that also. Very tempted to pick one up. Super affordable. Here’s a good video on it: https://youtu.be/3fqhS1QuGcs
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Aurel wrote:I know it has been said here a few times and I think the same too: the level's background arts are too desaturated...
So I just made 2 rom patches to add more saturation on them for Ibara and Ibara Kuro BL :)

Here the xdeltas (roms are not included) : https://www.mediafire.com/file/g0w7kno5 ... d.rar/file
All backgrounds are updated (all levels) and nothing else has been changed

And here how it looks after :

I hope it will help to enjoy these games even more :)
These look really great. Thanks for the patches!
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Valtele

Post by Valtele »

ok, but just agree that the bullet pattern and look of the bullets of the second stage boss are absurd! these bullets are half invisible, merging with the backgrounds and all. so I will try to complete the first two levels of the game with 1 credit. the main obstacle is the second boss...

btw, do you find it somehow appealing, that CAVE used in-house people who weren't real VAs to record the voices of characters?
CAVE LUNATICS ~ a community devoted to the CAVE!
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

Valtele wrote:btw, do you find it somehow appealing, that CAVE used in-house people who weren't real VAs to record the voices of characters?
No.

CAVE are famous for doing everything on the cheap (eg. Buying bad PCBs instead of new boards, and coding around the bad sectors). So I would be shocked if they actually paid the silly money that professional voice actors demand.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Valtele wrote:btw, do you find it somehow appealing, that CAVE used in-house people who weren't real VAs to record the voices of characters?
Yeah I always thought that was kind of cool. Seems like this was fairly common practice in shmups or other arcade games with developer voices showing up here and there. And they turned out great in Ibara IMO.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

MidnightWolf wrote:So I would be shocked if they actually paid the silly money that professional voice actors demand.
They have used plenty of professional voice actors in the CV1000 era. Some of them even quite famous.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Just popping in to say this thread always gives me great excitement and greater disappointment any time it shows up on page 1... My brain always goes to "OMG FINALLY A NEW PORT, MAYBE WITH KURO TOO!", and then reality sets in once I read the newest posts. Maybe one day... Carry on.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

trap15 wrote:They have used plenty of professional voice actors in the CV1000 era. Some of them even quite famous.
Really?

Please feel free to post a few names, and i'll tell you if i've heard of any of them here in the UK. :D
KAI

Post by KAI »

Really? except for hirano on sdoj, most of the voice actors on the cv1000 games were from AS Kikaku (which is a semi-pro VA studio) and some composers/members of cave.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

KAI wrote:Really? except for hirano on sdoj, most of the voice actors on the cv1000 games were from AS Kikaku (which is a semi-pro VA studio) and some composers/members of cave.
Akai Katana has the voice actress of Ash Ketchup from later Pokemon series!