Replicade 1/6 scale arcade | Capcom's 1942

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Astro City II

Replicade 1/6 scale arcade | Capcom's 1942

Post by Astro City II »

During the last week, New Wave Toys have announced pre-orders will soon be opening for their newest scaled down arcade cabinet. A version of Capcom's 1984 arcade vertically scrolling shmup 1942.

Key Features:
-Replica upright arcade cabinet in sixth scale
-Plays Arcade ROMS. includes 1942, 1943
-3:4 Aspect ratio in vertical orientation
-USB included for 2 player
-Fully licensed by Capcom

https://newwavetoys.com/
https://twitter.com/NewWaveToys

Last edited by Astro City II on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpachi

Re: Replicade 1/6 scale arcade | Capcom's 1942

Post by Jonpachi »

Ok, that's pretty sick. This is the first one of these I'm genuinely excited for.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Why are these things always missing 1941? 43Kai would have been nice too...

Also 1944 uses a horizontal monitor.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

At least it's confirmed to have 19XX. One site mistakenly listed "1945" as one of the games.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Pretty cool idea, but since these are all over $100, don't think I can swallow that pill, as tempting as it might be.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I have all five replicade cabs including the newest Atari Asteroids one. It's possible to get a Replicade cab on sale for $99.99 through the New Wave Toys site -- just have wait for 'em to go on sale. The Replicade SF2 mini joystick is microswitched & quite responsive.

Cool to learn of the sixth Replicade mini arcade cab offering & a proper STG indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Now only has 1942 and 1943 The Battle of Midway included instead of four games as originally shown.

Has HDMI out and includes a 2P mini arcade stick with 1943 decals. Release details will be known in the next couple of weeks.

MachineAres 1CC

Astro City II wrote:Now only has 1942 and 1943 The Battle of Midway included instead of four games as originally shown.

Has HDMI out and includes a 2P mini arcade stick with 1943 decals. Release details will be known in the next couple of weeks.
Yikes, I wonder what happened there that they had to remove things from the collection? These things just never go off without a hitch, do they?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Eesh, I was gonna bite when 4 games were included, but I know I won't get much out of just 42 and 43. What a shame.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Really lovely looking machine, but with just two games, no chance. I do want one of these for my corner eventually, but I'd get more play out of one of the Galaga or Pac Man ones than I would 1942/43.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

Whoa , I feel like a kid lost between these arcade cabinets, just by looking at the picture lol. :D
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:Pretty cool idea, but since these are all over $100, don't think I can swallow that pill, as tempting as it might be.
Yeah... I kept staring at the Galaga cabinet quite a few times, but it's juts not worth it IMHO. Not even for a hundred bucks, at least to me. I wish them all the best, though, they seem to be comparatively well made.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

My hope for all these things is that they catch up to more modern games. It's hard to see real play value in something so old. Give me a Raiden Fighters or something and I'd probably drop $300 on one. I know that's never gonna happen, as it's too obscure, but getting me anywhere near late-90's/early-00's type of stuff would make the value prop so much juicier.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just a reminder: the Replicade cabs are small 1/6 scale cabs, about a foot in height. They're fully functional, but it's no fun whatsoever to play anything on those. These are pure collectibles. Some of the recent comments sounded like some of you guys were assuming these are "playable" 3/4 sized cabs like the Arcade1up machines.
davyK

Post by davyK »

These are nice little units but they are collectables - not for any real serious play. Would be nice for a shelf in a den for example.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

It's on sale now but only available for US and Canada due to licensing. Kind of shit they didn't announce that before the sale but oh well. I'm a sucker anyway and still bought both, just used a forwarder to get it shipped to me.
MachineAres 1CC

For anyone wondering, it is on sale for $100 plus shipping (will be $120 after the sale ends.)

You can also buy that little mini usb joystick for $10, which is kinda cool, I grabbed one for the hell of it cause I'm a sucker for tiny video game replicas that aren't horribly priced :P
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Argh, it was just too good a package in the end to pass up. So many goodies!

Which version did you go with Ares? I had to go with 1942 for the ball-top joysticks (which you can even swap out).
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Damn, I just realized that that the Replicade mini cabs come from a different company than the Pac-Man, Galaga etc. ones, the latter being manufactured by Numskull. Plus, the Numskull cabs are 1/4 scale, which IMHO should make them perfectly playable.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Only if Numskull would acquire the rights to do a 1/4th scale cab of a classic or modern day stg title, it's possible.

The Replicade cab of Dragon's Lair is playable -- you can even hook up two mini usb joysticks for both player 1 & 2 + proper 4:3 aspect ratio output via hdmi output. (How cool is that?)

I remember seeing the groundbreaking & innovative full sized Cinematronics produced Dragon's Lair laserdisc arcade cab for the very first time at the Stockton, CA based Aspargus Festival back in April of 1983. It was hosted outside a temporary tent filled other cool full sized arcade games (although no one was playing it due to the prominent 50 cent per credit pricetag). Considering that I didn't have any quarters to try it out, all I could do was watch the cool opening attract FMV clip. It sold like hotcakes fresh off the griddle to arcades stateside & internationally (that Starcom was able to get Space Ace done & released to the arcades much quicker due to the success of the DL arcade LD game). Starcom (based out of San Diego, CA) was a tri-joint collaborative effort between Cinematronics, Rick Dyer & Don Bluth to get the DL arcade LD game manufactured/sold. It wouldn't be until July of 1991 that we'd see the proper sequel of Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp arcade LD game released to the arcades (again, a collaborative effort between the Leland Corp., Nintendo, Don Bluth & Rick Dyer this time around -- although the hand drawn animation cels for it had been completed back in the 1980s).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Got my 1942/1943 today and I have some impressions to share.

The overall game feel is really nice, with very low input latency. I have no way to test it, but it feels very snappy and responsive. The included scan-line filter looks pretty legit, but is quite aggressive at the scale of the monitor, and does make small objects like bullets harder to see. I suspect there's no Tate option when playing on a TV, but I'll be testing that out later today.

However, I got the 1942 version of the cab, and that may have been a mistake. The joystick in the unit appears to be a ball-top, but it has no micro switches and just kinda floats around in the socket. Simply navigating the menu shows how wildly inaccurate it is, as simply pressing up and down registers all kinds of false inputs. That said, the unit also came with an extra 1943-themed controller that has a bat-shaped stick and DOES have micro switches. The 1943 stick feels great (though tiny) and works as expected. Luckily, you can simply plug it in and change the setting to have it default to Player 1, and it's a lot more comfortable to use than trying to hunch over the cabinet.

Does anyone know if these units support other types of controllers? I would love to use a regular pad or stick with this thing, as there's no way I can put any real long-term play into it with the tiny joystick and buttons of the base controller.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I tried a ton of controllers (Switch, various USB stuff), and nothing worked except PS4 controllers. Luckily I have an HRAP4 Kai, and it works perfectly. Fairly ridiculous way to play, but I can't complain!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Damn, I just realized that that the Replicade mini cabs come from a different company than the Pac-Man, Galaga etc. ones, the latter being manufactured by Numskull. Plus, the Numskull cabs are 1/4 scale, which IMHO should make them perfectly playable.
Actually, Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. are also available in 1/4 scale cabs made by Numskull. More than one company bought the rights. Basic Fun, Super Impulse (novelty company that made the tiny arcade), and My Arcade all made mini Pac-Man cabs.

Basic Fun surprised me as of late. Say what you want about still making LCD style games, but a few of their more recent ones are closer in quality to the older VFD games. Their LCD Ms. Pac-Man is especially good.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I so wish one of these companies could get the rights to Nintendo's old catalog. I'd love a Donkey Kong, or a Play-Choice with some of the early VS games.