Thunder Force IV Odd Title Screen?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Henry513

Thunder Force IV Odd Title Screen?

Post by Henry513 »

I bought a copy of the Japanese version of Thunder Force IV for the Mega Drive, and have been using a Game Genie to play it on my North American Sega Genesis. For some reason on the title screen right under the ©1992 Techno Soft text it says "Manufactured by Sega Enterprises LTD. For play on the Sega Genesis system." I thought this was odd because it's the Mega Drive version of the game, and I also don't think I've ever seen a screenshot of the title screen with that text before. Could the Game Genie be doing it or is there just something different with my cartridge? The Game Genie codes that I'm using are:

AABT-AA5J (the master code)
NCJT-AA76 (makes it playable on a US Genesis)
AKTT-AA44 (this code and the one below prevent the game from crashing after certain boss battles)
AJSA-AA6Y

At least I'm pretty sure that's what those codes are doing.
Jonpachi

Re: Thunder Force IV Odd Title Screen?

Post by Jonpachi »

A lot of Megadrive games have multiple regions on them. Many have NTSC and PAL versions, and they will boot to the correct one once they detect the hardware. Seems possible that's what the text is coming from, but just a guess.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Henry513

Re: Thunder Force IV Odd Title Screen?

Post by Henry513 »

Jonpachi wrote:A lot of Megadrive games have multiple regions on them. Many have NTSC and PAL versions, and they will boot to the correct one once they detect the hardware. Seems possible that's what the text is coming from, but just a guess.
Interesting. I had no idea that that was a thing!