A list of games built using STG Builder (2021 Edition)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
QuakedoomNukem

A list of games built using STG Builder (2021 Edition)

Post by QuakedoomNukem »

So this topic basically started with this tweet by UBO,
which made me look through my files and make a list of all games, that we know off, are built on SB's STG Builder.
I was told there were other topics with the same idea, but were outdated and not kept up-to-date, which we want to do.

However, it's possible that there are more games built on the software we don't know off, so we would like to ask you
to help us track those down if possible. If it has GAME.DAT and it generates SCORE.BIN (depends), it's made in STG Builder.

Anyways, here's the list of the games we know off right now:

Zakichi:
Arginaros
Banisher
Blaynix
Contlade
Kaikan
Tiny Xevivos
Vastynex
Zakesta

Picorinne Soft:
Battle Crust
Infinos 0
Infinos 1 + Extra Stage
Infinos 2
Infinos Gaiden

Bikkuri Software:
Graze Counter (Original 2017 Release)
Kirisame Blade 1
Kirisame Blade 2
Revolgear 2 -Second Brightness-
Revolgear 2 Ver.D Rev+Ex + Another Mission (omake_am)

Vagues Games:
Cambria Sword - Life Of Wonder
Flying Pancake Octopus in Black Hole

Ooe Shinichiro:
Paro Paro -Parody Game Of Parodius-

GOTYO:
Dokingan
Makkigan

Orchard:
Eclosion
Precious Star

R-Ku.DSS:
Caravan Star KAI
Caravan Star 2

Frozen:
GekidanMachina

yunfa:
EX -Extra-
Marsh

HEY:
Mecha Ritz
Dezatopia

Raynex:
Grand Cross Renovation

Shigatake:
Devil Blade Reboot

Toro Nishino:
Ten & Till

Rakugaki Games:
Tenta Shooter (18+)

Morihama:
Strike Witches STG

l3l:
Barrage Fantasia

(Edit 07.02.2021 - Added Caravan Star KAI)
(Edit 08.05.2021 - Added Barrage Fantasia)
Last edited by QuakedoomNukem on Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
MathU

Re: A list of games built using STG Builder (2021 Edition)

Post by MathU »

A bit concerning to see just how many developers are confining the potential creativity of their shooters with a game builder, but one thing I really love about STG Builder is that for the first time in history large numbers of doujin games are coming with the ability to remap keyboard inputs off that awful ZXCV+arrows garbage.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Thanks for list! Should investigate...
MathU wrote:A bit concerning to see just how many developers are confining the potential creativity of their shooters with a game builder, but one thing I really love about STG Builder is that for the first time in history large numbers of doujin games are coming with the ability to remap keyboard inputs off that awful ZXCV+arrows garbage.
Not everyone is programmer/coder. Basically, those builders and "visual scripting" engines always allowed illustrators/musicians/scriptwriters made their own thing, for better or worse.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Could be useful for prototyping certain things but I imagine it puts limits on creativity.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Thanks for making this list!
MathU wrote:creativity
... have you played Dezatopia? It's on the Humble Store DRM free, all kosher like.

To me, this list only shows the range of different things that people can create using this tool. I'd rather there be more tools to make things (however restrictive) than fewer. idk I've never made a game myself though!
If they do find themselves troubled by limits, they can always port the game to another engine like what necobi is doing right now with Graze Counter (or is GameMaker still too "confining"? Where does "confining" stop?).
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Thanks for making this list! I can't think of any missing games right now. Some unfinished/prototype games but idk if that kind of thing is worth listing
MathU wrote:A bit concerning to see just how many developers are confining the potential creativity of their shooters with a game builder, but one thing I really love about STG Builder is that for the first time in history large numbers of doujin games are coming with the ability to remap keyboard inputs off that awful ZXCV+arrows garbage.
These games also generally have built in replay support via the engine and the lowest input lag you're gonna get on PC (2 frames).. a lot of plus there. You can't take any of these three things for granted, especially not the developers bothering to implement a replay system.
I for one am pretty happy if there's a quality STG builder game released.. you know it has good controller support, replay support and low lag right off the bat. That's pretty sweet and in a sense a bigger guarantee of quality of life than something being sold through a storefront like Steam or even consoles.
davyK wrote:Could be useful for prototyping certain things but I imagine it puts limits on creativity.
Probably in a sense but if you play through Cambria Sword or Dezatopia and say the engine is holding the developer back that doesn't sound right. Games like Infinos Gaiden, Flying Pancake Octopus in Black Hole, Ten & Till look quality enough it's hard to remember they're even STGbuilder games (apart from similar performance, control features).

The bigger limitations are probably outside the core game itself, things like online integration, additional features, leaderboards etc. I'm happy these kind of engines are resulting in more games being developed, I think it enables creativity for sure. Much like dezaemon etc. back in the day but a step beyond here.
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Generation Magic (https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/9325) - nice, though there's an issue: it only properly saves replays of one of the characters with her 1st shot type and on Hard mode.

Blue Star Saga Neo (https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/8394) - neat voice acting, developer also made several other shooters on STG Builder, see: https://www.freem.ne.jp/brand/1529

User's Manual (https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/3658) - quite the epic opening song, difficulty towards crazy overkill but maybe I didn't yet put enough attention to gimmicks/system...
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Oh crap, how could I forget about the all-time #1

Naturkatastrophe Dulzinea (https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/2002) - if only there were a way to silent out the focused shot (laser), it comes out too loud against background music. Otherwise best game ever ;)
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

wht11 wrote:User's Manual (https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/3658) - quite the epic opening song, difficulty towards crazy overkill but maybe I didn't yet put enough attention to gimmicks/system...
This is some top level kusoge. :lol: Try picking the gothloli and spamming the full charge shot. I nearly got past the stage 4 boss first try doing that. Music's kinda fun.
wht11

Post by wht11 »

By the way, perhaps someone has any knowledge about possible ways to extract (and maybe alter) contents of game.dat from this engine? Making some basic research didn't give me much. Of course to avoid any misunderstandings: it's meant only for personal use, not reusing any assets without consent of creators or such stuff.
markikav

Post by markikav »

STG Builder is such an amazing tool.
I got a space ship to move, fire bullets and enemies to move in STG Builder and it was wonderful just to do that, I'm not Japanese but I could still understand the tutorials to a degree (some are in English which helps).
But to see what the Pros can do in it is amazing, have downloaded or purchased lots of those games stated above and just bought Grand Cross Renovation on Steam, it is fabulous.

Keep this list going, it's a great resource of amazing games!