Arcade 1cc Duels! Introducing Kumite 1st Edition event

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Plasmo

Arcade 1cc Duels! Introducing Kumite 1st Edition event

Post by Plasmo »

The world's first player versus player knock-out tournament for arcade shmups!

Any shmup can be played in a versus setting! We have tried this format during Stunfest 2018 for Battle Garegga and it was a lot of fun! The Touhou community already has a long history with the regular Touhou World Cup series.

Now it's time to go one step further! Just today, we have posted an official announcement for an event that is going to greatly popularize the versus format for arcade shmups. Please check out the upcoming Kumite streaming event! It's organized by Mark MSX from The Electric Underground.

Date: February 13th, 2021
Streamed on The Electric Underground Youtube channel: LINK

Game selection:

Code: Select all

Hacha Mecha Fighter
Crimzon Clover World EXPlosion
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
Dodonpachi
Super XYX
Battle Garegga
Astral Gunners
Schedule here
More information & rules
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Sengoku Strider

Re: Arcade 1cc Duels! Introducing Kumite 1st Edition event

Post by Sengoku Strider »

So if they both no-miss the whole game, do they then have to stand up & fight each other?

Also, blindness dust - legal, or not legal?

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Great idea! I'll be looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Just one question though . . .

Aren't you a little old for video games?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote:So if they both no-miss the whole game, do they then have to stand up & fight each other?

Also, blindness dust - legal, or not legal?

Only if you tapdance first. Just be sure not to throw it at the wrong person.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Kumite is an awesome name for such an event (as I see others thought of as well).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Plasmo wrote:Date: February 13th, 2021
Streamed on The Electric Underground Youtube channel: LINK
Any particular reason why this is not on Twitch where it will likely get much more traction?
SPM

Post by SPM »

"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Gonna be great,looking forward to seeing battle garrega,hope they don’t dodge rank,would be good to see who gets the highest score on the least lives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sengoku Strider

Okay, I'm watching this right now, 3-way Crimzon Clover battle, this is pretty cool to watch. Any time someone has to bomb it's an event.

https://youtu.be/Z6SVJuJ6fiM
Sengoku Strider

A dude just got his first Crimzon Clover 1cc live during the face-off, that was pretty cool to see.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I didn't have the chance to sit in on the livestream but I'm settling in now to watch some KUMITE
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Shout out to mark msx,great event,you doing great things,looking forward to shmup slam,I think at one point there was 190 viewers of stream!I wonder if that’s how many shmup pers there is in the world!very niech but we are niech!

Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Shmupers unite!

Sengoku Strider

I didn't get to see the Garegga showdown, but the DFK match was great, going with easy mode for that was a good choice. Because the Mark vs. Jaimers DDP battle was set to normal and Hibachi won that one, GGs to it.

The 3-way format was cooler to watch than head to head, I'd love to see that - or even more players - be the norm. It meant there was more back & forth to the lead changes, and one player underperforming didn't make a match pretty much already decided. It might be worth revisiting the reset clock too, I understand you'd want it at 20 mins in case someone gets to the end and flames out, but it did seem a little long if someone was on their third restart.

One thing they DEFINITELY must have if they do it again is a dedicated ref/monitor watching each player. Having the commentators try to do it just didn't work. They were always losing track - completely understandable - and had to rely on the chat to keep track...which meant of course the commentators had to try & keep up with the chat as well. And of course, the spectators in chat came up with different counts all the time too.

But overall, the basic idea of scoring by misses & bombs was a good one, it just needed to be formally amended for stuff like Esp.Ra.De which has an unorthodox bomb system. I'd watch another one for sure.
Ddshot wrote:Shout out to mark msx,great event,you doing great things,looking forward to shmup slam,I think at one point there was 190 viewers of stream!I wonder if that’s how many shmup pers there is in the world!very niech but we are niech!

Nah, there's way, way more than that. There's a whole world full of dads playing Strikers II on their Switch when the family won't let them have the TV (or Ikaruga on an emulator every once in a while - looking at my brother in law). It's just that they're not integrated into the community.

As for hard core players, I think the print runs on the ShotTriggers games give you a decent baseline. If they're putting 2500 copies out there, selling out and needing another second run of 2500, you know there's at least 5000 really engaged players on a given platform, even if some only as collectors. Certainly much more given that it requires importing.
Austin

Post by Austin »

This is a great idea. I personally feel like if competitive "shoot 'em upping" is going to grow and be taken more seriously, there needs to be some sort of live head to head element like this. I hope this becomes a regular thing.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Yeah hear you on the reset timer,but even if you got rid of the timer and say allow 1 restart at any point,the time would be similar as you can get to the stages of most shmups in around 20min give or take.so as many restarts as u like in 20min kinda makes sense.garrega was cool.damm I thought soft drink had it in the bag until he got hit stage 4 boss!great event looking forward to shmup slam