What gamepad are you using for PC and Switch shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

Re: What gamepad are you using for PC and Switch shmups?

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

It was quickly replaced bc it sucked and led to the six button config that everybody knows and loves

I thought it was replaced because people were hurting themselves.
Having actually played on it a bunch of times, it was definitely a hoot, but the potential to hurt one's self was real (especially amongst people who were convinced there was a 'strong' beyond 'strong' if you just hit hard enough)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah I guess they got reports of bloody hands. Also the game performed way better in arcades with the 6 button setup leading them to think about a sequel using that system.

And imagine the time and cost to repair or replace those specialized pneumatic buttons vs just popping in a standard replacement Seimitsu or Happ button.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

MidnightWolf wrote:PowerA Fusion wired 6-button Fightpad

https://www.powera.com/p/fusion/control ... 509987-01/

It is based on the SEGA Saturn controller and has a floating D-pad that is truly amazing. I use it for absolutely everything. Also has a detachable USB cable with one of them "anti-tangle" braided cords.
Buyer beware, I bought the PS4 version right when they released and hated that PowerA controller to the point where I returned it. And I don't often return stuff. Was getting lots of missed inputs on the d-pad, and the buttons were awful - one of them would actually physically stick and not spring back up without a further nudge. Possibly a more isolated QC issue, but I don't think so since there are lots of complaints about quality and the d-pad breaking over time in Amazon reviews too (and I can't imagine those buttons would ever be good). Really a shame too, as I thought this would be a great pad solution for me and the physical layout is perfect. They just failed on execution.

For some perspective on where I'm coming from, I still think the Saturn (Japan/S pad) is the best controller ever made.

For Switch:
1) The Japanese 6-button Mega Drive pad released last year is now my preferred Switch pad. Wireless too, which is convenient, and although I haven't scientifically tested the lag it doesn't feel bad at all to me even in games calling for precision (I'm not actually sure whether wireless Switch pads still operate over Bluetooth if plugged into the system via a USB cable... I think so?). Shame that the 6-button version is Japan only. Looks like it currently goes for about $75-$90 on Ebay, that's how I got mine.

2) Tried the wired Hori Fighting Commander before that and it's... fine, but I like the MD pad a lot more.

3) The Pokken Tournament controller is... surprisingly pretty great! The biggest disadvantage there is that it lacks a lot of buttons. Just a d-pad (which is a good cross-style pad!), 4 face buttons, and two shoulder buttons that are usable for practical gameplay (it also has start/select/Lz/Rz in a small row in the center of the pad, but those aren't really viable for use in the heat of action). But if that's not an issue for the games you want to play, it's a solid and highly underrated option.
* Note that the Wii U version is also USB and works fine on Switch out of the box, AFAIK the Switch version is just a recolored variant of the same controller - Wii U one is white with red/gray accents, Switch one is black on black. I suspect the Switch version also works on a Wii U system, but can't personally verify that. Anyway, might be able to find the Wii U variant at a lower price.
* Another note - although the controller has a warning that it only works with Pokken Tournament, that is not true. It's recognized in other games (maybe not 100%, but everything I've thrown at it works). Obviously no analogue sticks though, probably the reason for the warning was just to avoid confused people trying to use it with Smash or something and getting upset.

For PC/other:
1) I still have one of the old official Sega-produced Saturn USB pads from the early/mid-2000s, so that works pretty great and I will be very sad if it ever gives out on me (STILL going strong though, amazing quality). Recognized by PS3 too, so that's nice. Note this is not one of the current Retrobit reproductions (which tend to make it harder to find the official ones these days), these pads were produced by Sega Logistics Service (Sega's hardware arm) for sale in Japan as a Saturn 10th anniversary celebration. Model number is ISS-5001, has an SLS sticker on the back of the pad. See: https://segaretro.org/Fukkokuban_Sega_S ... ontrol_Pad

2) Also have a couple of the Sega-official PS2 pads (also Japan only and released in the 2000s): https://segaretro.org/Fukkokuban_Sega_S ... ation_2%27. I use those on PS2 and with some PS2 controller adapters on other platforms: PC, Neo Geo, even Dreamcast (the irony is strong). Mine are two of the purple ones that released alongside the Japanese PS2 Vampire: Darkstalkers collection. Mini-tangent, those are sadly also likely the best ports we'll ever get of those games - not expecting the new Capcom Fighting Collection to provide more than the no-frills arcade ROMs with lag and bad filters, same as the fairly recent Street Fighter 30th Anniversary compilation. Those PS2 Vampire and Street Fighter Alpha compilations were so well done, sigh...
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

(Pro Controller hits diagonals too easily, doesn't have the hard clickiness of the Xbox One controller)

Even though I sang it's praises a few posts ago, this is a truism.

Something you may want to look into at some point, this:
is hands down, my favorite 'generic' controller

I own both the wired and wireless models and recommend them both. Their d-pads are super stiff (as in 'precise' not 'hard to press') and 'clicky'. Plus, the LED buttons are wonderful if you ever play in low light (like most people)
Marc

Post by Marc »

A heads-up that on Amazon UK, the Retro Bit Saturn/Mega Drive pads are going for stupid money, I've just paid £12.00 for the black Saturn pad, and £15 for the translucent blue MD pad with hard case and USB dongle!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
RileyYeo

Post by RileyYeo »

Now I use M30 2.4ghz
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Well I'm sad because my XBox SX controller no longer likes to keep a connection. What a nice whole 2 years. Shame because I really liked the damn thing. :l
I bought a new bluetooth adapter. Drops wirelessly. I plug it in, drops even when wired. I tried different USB ports. Different cables. Thought maybe I had too much stuff plugged in so I removed some things to no avail. Changed the batteries. Unpaired other things. Checked for any kind of driver updates.
Nothing. It just keeps giving out. Not my computer because it does the same shit on my Switch too. All nine of my other controllers and my other peripherals work perfectly fine as well. Things fucked.

So!

Back to the old 360 pad I've had since 2007. It's not as comfortable and I really loved the SX dpad a shit load. I will say though, I really love the resistance on the sticks. Really good for the games I play. Movement in GMD lately has felt a lot more deliberate. The SX sticks are fantastic, but ill suited for these games. At least for how I play. They're very...free? So STG's feel twitchier with it. It's better for simulation racers and shooters which makes sense. 360 sticks require more force which I like for tap moving. I make less accidental inputs when returning to neutral and don't overshoot small precise ones. These triggers hurt my fingers though. Not sure how I used this from 2007-2018 so religiously. I played Rivals of Aether on this thing for like 3 years.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I used this dpad and button cap set for the regular joycons. Works very well, even for fighting games. D-pad feels nice and clicky too. Fairly simple, though getting the adhesive on the buttons is a bit tricky (fingernails are a must). Be sure to read the instructions (only two of the buttons need adhesive for the dpad and there's an extra thing to stick on for pivot)! I went with the cross d-pad and I'm not sure if the other one would work as well.
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

I primarily use a Sega Saturn pad with a Mayflash adapter, it works well on PC but becomes a bit of a hassle to setup on the Switch, especially whenever the console isn't docked.
I've been considering getting another controller just to avoid this and the Switch's awful default D-pad (if you can even call it that).
orborborb

Post by orborborb »

IMO the best general purpose dpad and buttons ever made are those early white Wii Classic Controllers (lots of clones on ebay though, be careful, heres what the original looks like: http://wii.gamespy.com/articles/746/746735p1.html), the 8bitdo Gbros adapts them to switch/xbox/pc

for some games I prefer a couple of my later model US Saturn pads, but there are SO many revisions and clones and quality control issues (even from 25 years ago) I don't know how you'd know whether you had a good one or not if didn't have a lot of experience comparing different versions of them

the ps5 controller dpad is an improvement to the ps4 one and I think anyone can play any game well and enjoy themselves with it, which is NOT the case with any Switch or Xbox gamepad

some games will just never feel right on anything but an LS-32 arcade stick though (gradius games for example)
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

orborborb wrote:IMO the best general purpose dpad and buttons ever made are those early white Wii Classic Controllers
is there really a significant difference between that and the handle version? I know the layout is slightly different but having used both plenty I didn't really notice that much of a difference.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Hori is releasing a new version of the split pad pro that is not as bulky.

https://youtu.be/JITWKutBHUE

Big fan of the split pad and it's excellent D-pad. However it does transform the Switch into a big honkin motherfucker. I could see this being the way to go from now on for a solid pad.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ Those looks SO NICE. Can't wait for that. I use the SPP all the time, but it is kinda bulky/ugly. I will often leave it at home if I'm out, as it's just not worth it to carry it around. This looks like it could fit in a case very nicely. Thanks for the link!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Removing the little bat wings from the bottom makes it look so much more normal. Don't think that will ruin the ergonomics at all. It is such an improvement you can't go back to the stock joycons. But the first time my wife saw me grab the Switch with SPP installed she just said in a hushed voice . . . Whoa

Also mine came with a warning saying if you have the OLED model not to dock it with the pads attached for some reason. Maybe this iteration will remedy that issue for people who have picked up the OLED.

EDIT: Yeah that clip actually shows an OLED model going into the dock with the SPP attached.
Last edited by Rastan78 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Hmm I use mine with an OLED all the time...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Jonpachi wrote:Hmm I use mine with an OLED all the time...
I heard other people say it was fine too. Not sure what's up with that. Maybe some problem occurs if you dock/undock 50,000 times or something.

Edit: Looking at a reddit thread Hori says OLED won't fit with SPP into the dock. Some people say they had no issue. Some it barely wouldn't fit, and some said they just shaved off a tiny bit of plastic and it fit perfectly after.

Guess you can't really blame Hori for that since the OLED and new dock didn't exist with they developed the original SPP.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

LOL who's trying to dock a Switch the SPP attached? I never even tried it. :lol:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Jonpachi wrote:LOL who's trying to dock a Switch the SPP attached? I never even tried it. :lol:
I will throw mine on the dock like that. It fits fine. No reason to constantly be taking them on and off if you dont have to. Sometimes I'm just putting it on the dock for charging purposes to pull out and play portable later. Idk if I've even taken the SPP off once since I bought them.

I mean do most people take joycons off just to dock the Switch? Have I been doing it weird this whole time?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm probably the weirdo here. I primarily play only in handheld, but will sometimes dock if there's something I just have to play on the TV (like a vert shmup). I use the docking time to charge my joycons, so I will swap out the SPP if I'm using it at that time.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Yeah, I sometimes dock my OLED Switch with the SPP on too (standard OLED dock, and I have an old style dock too that also works fine). It's chunky for sure, but it fits for me without issue. I often just use the dock for charging, then I pull the Switch out and play it in handheld mode.

Pic of mine.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I also dock my switch with chunky joycons no problem.

I thought I’d share my handheld switch tate set up for those interested as I’ve tried a few different options and I’m really happy with this one.
The grip is from Etsy and personally I like the design more than the flip grip. The print is really high quality with great tolerances.
The Nyxi cracking style joycons are a slightly different design than their standard ones and the d pad is actually serviceable. Their standard ones look identical to Bin Boks so I assume they have the same garbage d pad.
It did take about 6 weeks for them to get from China to Australia.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1124751598/
https://nyxigaming.com/products/nyxi-bl ... witch-oled
Spoiler
orborborb

Post by orborborb »

pulsemod wrote:
orborborb wrote:IMO the best general purpose dpad and buttons ever made are those early white Wii Classic Controllers
is there really a significant difference between that and the handle version? I know the layout is slightly different but having used both plenty I didn't really notice that much of a difference.
The dpad hardware itself is probably identical, but for me at least (smallish hands) it's easier to be accurate when I can pinch my thumb and forefinger closer together without the handle or extra thickness in the way
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

While we're talking about the Split Pad Pro, let me just say that I really like how the Capture and Home buttons are always on and available through it, handheld or docked, and even when using another controller. I'm using my retro-bit wireless Saturn controller which doesn't have a Capture button, so having access to the Capture button again this way is nice.

In handheld mode (preferably on a stand) and NOT outputting to a TV, you can sometimes use the Split Pad Pro for all the other buttons your wireless controller may not have. Need to zoom in on the field in Tetris Effect: Connected (done with Left Analog Up), but don't want to give up the Saturn pad? Just hit the Left Analog on the Split Pad Pro and go back to the Saturn pad. Controller battery died mid-game? Just resume on the Switch with the SPP. (Well, there's that issue with the A&B swap, 'cuz Tetris, but still.)

I can't say the same for Capcom Arcade Stadium; with a wireless Saturn pad & Split Pad Pro, none of the buttons outside of Capture and Home work on the SPP, so you'll still have to give up something (i.e. macros or emulator features) because there aren't enough buttons for everything on the Saturn pad.

In Tetris 99, however, do so much as touch one of the analog sticks on the Split Pad Pro and the game will stop to ask you which controller you really want to use... so you can't use the Saturn pad for normal gameplay and hit the Right Analog on the SPP to change tactics when necessary.
riichi

Post by riichi »

I use a Saturn Cool Pad and replaced the board with the retrobit usb saturn pad's board. I didn't need anything other than a screwdriver to do it which was a big plus. I generally liked the retrobit saturn pad but the component quality isn't so good, I've broke the D-pad on 2 of them but at least the boards can be used in the real deal.
ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower »

Is there a site out there with input lag numbers for Switch controllers? I picked up a Hori Split Pad Pro, and it feels amazing on an ergonomic level, but gameplay feels subjectively clunkier, compared to the joycons. I can't tell if it's just some sort of inverse placebo effect that I'm pulling out of my ass, or if there's actual input lag, or if the slightly "mushy" button travel makes it a bit less physically responsive than the joycon buttons. I could see it being the latter, if I'm not imagining things and there is an actual effect. For all the Joycons' shortcomings, the Switch face buttons do have a really short, crisp, clicky travel.

Having noticed this, I looked around and saw MarkMSX say something in a video about the Split Pad Pro being laggy, but I couldn't find any hard numbers to back it up. (Full disclosure: I haven't had a chance to watch the full video, I just scrubbed around until I found the section mentioning it, so hard numbers could be in there elsewhere. Apologies.)