What gamepad are you using for PC and Switch shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: What gamepad are you using for PC and Switch shmups?

Post by Marc »

Just got my Astro City pad. THIS is the sort of d-pad I like, not a hint of unwanted diagonals here. Similar to the Saturn, but a little stiffer. Shame it's not compatible with anything else.

Hopefully, my replacement Saturn pad will be here this week. Had to go after the seller eventually, as retro-bit flat out ignored me.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
davyK

Post by davyK »

Firehawke wrote:
ShamefurDispray wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:The Dpad on a Nintendo controller is also so vastly inferior for smooth, flowing motion vs. Sega's famous design that I'd never step away from the Sega controller for anything action even if the button layout wasn't an issue.
100% this. Even playing 2D Mario games feels so much better with a Genesis pad. The only exception is for stuff that doesn't require diagonal outputs like Tetris or SRPGs like Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics. Otherwise the Sega D-pad for me is almost always better than a rigid crosshair where you're trying to mash two parts of the SNES pad to get one diagonal output. It's just not a great design.
Oh, geez, no. Genesis pads (and many Saturn pads) always gave me unwanted diagonals. This is one of those per-person preference points, but I'd prefer a crisp response to a mushy one any day.

Same here - especially with the Megadrive pad - very dodgy on the diagonals. I don't have any issues with official Saturn pads though - especially the mk2s.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I just got myself the 8bitdo arcade stick. :mrgreen:
I have now the full potential to not get good at shmups ever: alternately playing with 3 different inputs (Joy-Con stick, Sn30 pro D-Pad and Arcade stick) :lol: :roll:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote:Just got my Astro City pad. THIS is the sort of d-pad I like, not a hint of unwanted diagonals here. Similar to the Saturn, but a little stiffer. Shame it's not compatible with anything else.
It works with MiSTer. Technically works with PC, but is D-Input only. Not sure if it works with the MD Mini, though the 6 button MD Mini pads work on the Astro City Mini. Agreed on the dpad. Good stuff.

edit: Found out that buttons on the Astro City Mini itself use Kalih Choc White switches for the buttons. Awesome! I love the feel of those choc switches. I have a keyboard that uses a similar variation of the switch (Kalih Choc Blues).
SmithyTHFC

Post by SmithyTHFC »

What pad would people recommend to use for shmups and beat em ups? I’m in UK if that matters, Amazon don’t seem to have stock of the M30 in fact only dodgy shops seem to, the retrobit is in stock at 365games but there are so many different ones.

Any help much appreciated
Marc

Post by Marc »

FUCK retro-bit. So they flat-out ignored my first request for support, so I had to go via the seller on eBay, who could have fired me off quite easily (it had been bought in November as an Xmas present), and he was able to send me a new one. Used that for six weeks, and this one went on the other side. Contacted Retro-bit, who at least bothered to respond this time, and they send out a replacement back plate for the d-pad. I've installed it, and the pad is now dogshit. It just feels really clunky in comparison to how it previously performed, and occasionally, trying to push a left/up just results in me going straight back, though it's fine if I'm already left then press up, and the L button occasionally sticks in. If I had to guess, I'd say the replacement part is marginally thicker than the original, but it's killed the feel of the pad for me. Really disappointed with the entire thing, the search for a perfect d-pad does on. The SNES really was a hard act to follow.
Last edited by Marc on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
davyK

Post by davyK »

For PC I currently use a 360 fighting stick. It's a Hori ex-2. It's a reasonably priced (i.e. cheap) stick and I get on fine with it. I use it with Steam and emulators. The button layout makes it fiddly to configure with retroArch/shmupArch but it works fine. I use a 360 pad with PC as well but I tend to stay with the stick for shmups.

I don't shmup that much on the Switch. Only picked up Darius Arcade Collection so far but I got an 8bitdo controller for that. It's OK. I don't think I have ever been more disappointed with a Nintendo controller than the Switch joycons. Of course they are great for Nintendo's own first party games but the absence of a viable dpad and the size of the buttons is annoying. However apart from Crimson Clover I don't see myself investing too much in it as a shmup machine. I have plenty of other consoles for that.
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

I've got a few controllers that I swap about between my 360 and pc-

360 Mad Catz SF4 TE fightstick set up tight with a Seimitsu LS-56-01 (with 2 x short throw mods in it) for shmups

360 Mad Catz SF4 fightpad that gets wheeled out for fighting games. I modded the dpad by putting a thin piece of card between the membrane and actuator which makes it feel a little more responsive but it still rolls nicely.

Retro-Bit Saturn wired pad that I bought for nostalgia reasons more than anything else. The pad rolls nicely which is good for fighting games but not good (for me) for shmups

360 Afterglow wired pad. The analogs suck but the dpad is brill for shmups. The 360 Afterglow dpad is different to the XBone dpad.

I chop and change between the fightstick and Afterglow pad for shmups, the autofire on the stick is good for Psykyo games that don't (seem to) have an autofire button but I found the buttons are slightly too far apart for me for fighting games and I can't always get the dragon punch motion right which is why I went back to a pad (I grew up on SF2 on the SNES 8) )
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

My weapon of choice right now is an 8bitdo arcade stick modded with an LS-56 and Seimitsu buttons, although I have an LS-62 and Sanwa buttons on the way so I'll see how those feel once they arrive. I'm using it with the orange brick adapter on PC so I can easily switch between D-Input and X-input, and for Switch I use the 2.4hz dongle although I'm not sure if there's actually much of a difference in response time compared to bluetooth. Before I migrated to playing on stick I was using an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ which does have an excellent dpad for shmups and whatnot.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

@Marc: if SNES is the standard for you, look at the RetroFlag wired Upad/Jpad. They've gotten raves for their OEM-type build quality. The one issue is that that they seem to have a lottery on accurate Dpads. Not a small issue I know, but they're cheap, and if you get a good one it could be exactly what you're looking for.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Harpuia wrote:My weapon of choice right now is an 8bitdo arcade stick modded with an LS-56 and Seimitsu buttons, although I have an LS-62 and Sanwa buttons on the way so I'll see how those feel once they arrive. I'm using it with the orange brick adapter on PC so I can easily switch between D-Input and X-input, and for Switch I use the 2.4hz dongle although I'm not sure if there's actually much of a difference in response time compared to bluetooth. Before I migrated to playing on stick I was using an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ which does have an excellent dpad for shmups and whatnot.
Nice! My LS-56 and Seimitsu buttons just reached my country's customs! Although I bought them 1 month and a half ago :(
I'm planning on upgrading my 8bitdo arcade stick with them :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

SPM wrote:Nice! My LS-56 and Seimitsu buttons just reached my country's customs! Although I bought them 1 month and a half ago :(
I'm planning on upgrading my 8bitdo arcade stick with them :D
Nice, nice. Keep in mind that although the LS-56 does fit, it's a close fit and you might get some noticeable scraping along the bottom. This can be avoided by only using four or five of the main body screws and just making sure they're not in very tight.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Wouldn't it be better to just Dremel out some extra depth for the new stick?
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

Yeah, that would work. I'm actually planning on just drilling a hole through the bottom and seeing if that allows enough room to use some of the bigger seimitsu sticks that don't fit at all, like the LS-32/40.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Mayflash F100. For like $40 it serves its purpose.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The hole in the bottom has actually been adopted by Qanba - I think - on their commercial sticks to allow convenient changing of balltops as well.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Don't do PC, but on Switch, I normally use my Hori Rap Hayabusa stick with a Switch adapter. I do, once in a while play on a Pro controller just for a change.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Finally got pissed with the Retro-Bit and ordered an 8bitdo M30, we'll see. Just seen the Hori Fighting Commander (new model in official Switch packaging), but the d-pad on there seems a tad small - anyone used one of these?

Also managed to pick up one of the official SNES online pads.... hopefully if all else fails, this will do the trick.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

On Switch i use Horipad (the detachable dpad one). Its plastic cheap, non rumble and wired. But its still my favorite for 2D stuff.
I also use an usb adapter for multiple other options...Wireless DualShock, ps4 madcatz stick, ps3 neo geo stick etc etc
I make sure i only use joycon on flipgrip.
For non flipgrip handheld gaming i use Hori Split Pad Pro.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote:Finally got pissed with the Retro-Bit and ordered an 8bitdo M30, we'll see. Just seen the Hori Fighting Commander (new model in official Switch packaging), but the d-pad on there seems a tad small - anyone used one of these?
I have the Switch FC. D-pad is normal sized, same size as the d-pad on the similar PS4 and 360 FCs. It's a good sized d-pad.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

If I for some reason need/want to play with a gamepad instead of a stick then I have three main fellas.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I use a Hori Real Arcade Pro. V Hayabusa stick for shmups and fighting games on switch (it works on PC too) - can highly recommend the stick, especially as we are more starved of options here in the U.K without paying massive shipping / import fees. Really solid build, nice clicky stick, very responsive - the buttons are slightly spongy and I may upgrade them to Sanwa at some stage, but they still do the job, one of the best £115 I've ever spent.

For 2D / modern stuff I just use a switch pro controller but I'm thinking about an upgrade at some point; been playing a lot of arcade Donkey Kong recently and I was really hurting with that D-Pad. I guess technically I should be using the arcade stick there too, but old 2d platformers like GnG I can't get used to it, and feel more comfortable with a controller.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I got one of those as a Xmas gift from a friend eons ago, and that's what I use on PC when I am going to a more "serious" session.

For a quick go, I usually use the Xbox One standard contrroller which I basically use for anything on my PC. I have zero problems with its dpad and I find it good enough to play a shmup (or anything really) for a quick fun session.

But my fav dpad for shmups or anything really is the Sega Saturn dpad on its "3D Controler". I *love* the grip of that controller and the Dpad is just butter smooth, precise and great,

It's really amazing and a big shame how the Dreamcast controller looks nearly the same and yet is way worse.

Marc

Post by Marc »

YES! The Super Famicom online pad (I paid half the price for the SFC one as the UK release for some stupid reason) is absolutely brilliant! It really is just the SNES pad. A tony bit still at the moment, I obviously can't remember if a brand-new SNES pad starts that way, but directionally it's perfect. I thought the 8bitdo was a decent replica, but the d-pad is raised a bit more and just feels different and less precise when it pivots, hard to explain until you've got them next to each other but this is the real deal.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Picked up a couple of those Switch online SNES controllers and I have to say they're very nice. The precision of a brand new SNES d pad is no joke. I had thought about picking up an 8bitdo pro or a retrobit Genesis pad, but I've heard too many reports of inconsistent quality on those. Has 8bitdo really perfected their d pad yet? It still sounds like your luck can vary a bit there. Plus I do like cross style pads and SNES/PS style button layout over 6 face buttons (6 face buttons only makes sense to me if you're playing claw style).

Apparently there are a number of revisions inside so they're not exactly the same as original pads, but maybe even slightly improved. In terms of feel I can't imagine there's much in it when compared to the originals though.

The real question is if Nintendo can still produce this holy grail level of cross style d pad on a brand new controller (something that for some odd reason no one else can seem to do any more), then WTF happened with the pro controller!?

Oh and BTW Super Metroid feels fanfuckingtastic played on a brand new SNES controller. Certain games just do not feel right unless played on their intended controller and that's one of them.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Rastan78 wrote:Has 8bitdo really perfected their d pad yet? It still sounds like your luck can vary a bit there.
I've had a really varied experiences with their stuff. I have two of their wireless PC Engine pads that I use with my TG16 Mini that absolutely adore, but every other controller I've gotten from them has had issues.

I've bought a wireless MD/Genesis and an N30 NES pad, and they both had flakey d-pads that would constantly register accidental diagonals. I also have an SN30 Pro+, which is just ok, with a d-pad that feel stiff but not the total mess that the previous two mentioned are.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

And then there's me, who was completely infuriated with how badly they half-assed their TG Mini effort.

Design issues aside, the D-Pad on mine actually had a membrane with different tensions in different directions. Completely inconsistent tactile response as you'd try to move your character around. Now this was a first in quality-control issues.

8bitdo have been knocking it out of the park from day one in design inspiration/build quality; they have yet to figure out how to get the damn things to generally WORK RIGHT.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Old hat plain digital PSX gamepads, via USB adapter. There are adapters to other systems, too, so there's that.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

bigbadboaz wrote:8bitdo have been knocking it out of the park from day one in design inspiration/build quality; they have yet to figure out how to get the damn things to generally WORK RIGHT.
Yeah I really wanted to go for one of the SN30 pro + because on paper it looks like a dream then you hear about scraping D Pads, sticky buttons, ghost inputs and extra lag on the BT versions.

I still stand by my Hori Pokken controller as well. It's like the direct opposite of the SN30 pro plus. Totally no frills and unsexy but has a reliable low latency USB connection and a flawless D pad. You just can't be afraid to use a little muscle with your controller. It's like the pad for people who like Seimitsu arcade parts over Sanwa.
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

I've honestly never had any issues with my SN30 Pro + that I've had for a year or two. The dpad to me feels about as good as any of Nintendo's best dpads