Boogie Wings - the perfect Xmas Shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

Boogie Wings - the perfect Xmas Shmup

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/y9ODYnwaLds

I mean what other shmup gives you an entire christmas level with the big man Santa himself as the final boss of the stage? I play this at least once every Christmas just to give Santa the business for Christmas' past when he didnt come through 8)

But really it's a game I've been wanting a pcb for and just haven't pulled the trigger yet

Happy Holidays everyone!
xxx1993

Re: Boogie Wings - the perfect Xmas Shmup

Post by xxx1993 »

Not DeathSmiles IIX?
BIL

Post by BIL »

^No! :O You will be KILLED BY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES (they've been a bit trigger-happy ever since the whole "extremely dark urine" thing Image)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

DeathSmiles IIX IS a Christmas video game. My personal favorite one also, I’ve made it mandatory to play that game every Christmas.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah I know ;3
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And in the case of Boogie Wings, it’s just one level. I mean, come on. It’s like how The Fugitive had a St. Patrick’s Day parade or Spectre having a Day of the Dead parade.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ESPRade's pretty Christmasy, although I dunno how I feel about murdering those poor pricks just trying to get home in the mall stage. 3;

I can headcanon Raiden's red car easily enough, that's a friggin ENEMY COURIER VEHICLE :O You won't escape me you sneaky fuck!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Is there a similar game to Boogie Winds graphics wise? I think I played something with a ship like that as a child, but doesn't seem to be it from the video. I've never been able to find it (I guess I'll keep it as a blurred, obscure, sweet memory of mine) :?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

xxx1993 wrote:And in the case of Boogie Wings, it’s just one level. I mean, come on. It’s like how The Fugitive had a St. Patrick’s Day parade or Spectre having a Day of the Dead parade.
DS 2 is one level plus the final boss. The rest of the game fails to even remember that the game had a theme - it’s like they decided the theme at the end of development. Most of the outdoor stages don’t even have snow. :|
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BIL

Post by BIL »

SPM wrote:Is there a similar game to Boogie Winds graphics wise? I think I played something with a ship like that as a child, but doesn't seem to be it from the video. I've never been able to find it (I guess I'll keep it as a blurred, obscure, sweet memory of mine) :?
While it's more of a steampunk whimsy as opposed to outright comical, Koutetsu Teikoku aka Steel Empire (Mega Drive/Genesis) has a few passing resemblances. Relatively well-known for a shooter, but you never know. :smile:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

CStarFlare wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:And in the case of Boogie Wings, it’s just one level. I mean, come on. It’s like how The Fugitive had a St. Patrick’s Day parade or Spectre having a Day of the Dead parade.
DS 2 is one level plus the final boss. The rest of the game fails to even remember that the game had a theme - it’s like they decided the theme at the end of development. Most of the outdoor stages don’t even have snow. :|
I think the entire game is Christmas themed, actually... Even the optional stage had a bit of a Christmas theme, too.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Keep on reaching for that rainbow, xxx

While Boogie Wings definitely looks stupid, I am always charmed by Data East stupid. No wonder the M2 pres desperately wants to port this game with the ShotTriggers treatment... but has to keep on getting stuck with basic-bitch boring cave games instead.
Maybe that announced Data East collection will have a surprise Christmas gift? Unlikely, but a man can dream.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I wish M2 Prez was as hot for THUNDER ZONE as he was Great Ragtime Image Depleted uraniwhat? Desert thewhosit now? Nah, that was the shitty oveseas ver. I'M SPLATTERING QUDS VERMIN LEFT N RIGHT WHILE ROCKIN 2 SHAWEET CHOONS like HOT FRIENDSHIP and OPERATION THUNDER ZONE and OH SHIT! Image Well I am when I play me mate's PCB. :oops: Did MAME ever sort that out? Whatever. Day 1 M2 Prez, Day 1 I tells ya.

DECO... pour homme (`ω´メ)

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I would totally kill for a console port of Desert Assault and Locked ‘n Loaded.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahh shit! I forgot to mention, I got your Locked n Loaded thread approved for Other Gaming! Image As I exhorted to Mr. BulletMagnet - one of our great unported game torch songs!

Hopefully, with M2 AND Hamster closing in like desert scorpion pincers, and that FAT NECKBEARD FUCK Johnny Turbo fading by the minute, we will see justice yet xxx1993! Image
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

My perfect Christmas shmups are ones about the spirit, joy, and wonder of overindulging yourself during the Christmas season. While giant ornaments and socks attack you.

please don't play this seriously, Barfer Sickmess is pure kusoge
MathU

Post by MathU »

The best Chrimbus shooter is clearly Psyche Metal: The Bleeding. Just look at all that red.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I bought the Retro-Bit Super Retrocade just to have a "home port" of Boogie Wings. I don't think it's very well emulated though, unless the arcade original chugs like crazy in the later stages.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

M2's president seriously has the beast wood for this game, I'd be confident just waiting it out tbh. (see also Edward Randy, another widely namedropped cult favourite I've no real feelings on either way, but am hyped for since if that can make it, anything can. gimme Rohga and Thunder Zone, DAY 1 PREZ Image)
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Jonpachi wrote:I bought the Retro-Bit Super Retrocade just to have a "home port" of Boogie Wings. I don't think it's very well emulated though, unless the arcade original chugs like crazy in the later stages.
Def doesnt chug like that
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

In fact, I'd also like a modern port for the entire "Kuhga" trilogy, consisting of Vapor Trail, Wolf Fang, and Skull Fang. In the case of the latter two, maybe we can get an English dub or translation of the dialogue for all characters, not just from your commander.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Played the Xmas level today that was fun and abit different lol
Nice that u can pick what level u want
Weird mechanic getting in and out of plane ,more like a run n gun I guess

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
Marc

Post by Marc »

EmperorIng wrote:Maybe that announced Data East collection will have a surprise Christmas gift? Unlikely, but a man can dream.
Oh, what did I miss?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Marc wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Maybe that announced Data East collection will have a surprise Christmas gift? Unlikely, but a man can dream.
Oh, what did I miss?
viewtopic.php?p=1425736#p1425736

Oscar's a good start, here's hoping for CYBERNETICK HYPER-WEAPON and CHERUNOBU
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Is gekirindan a christmas
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

It will be next Christmas by the time you finish the first stage! Image
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

We must go back in time to find the ghost of christmas past and KILL IT
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:
Marc wrote:
Oh, what did I miss?
viewtopic.php?p=1425736#p1425736

Oscar's a good start, here's hoping for CYBERNETICK HYPER-WEAPON and CHERUNOBU
Ah, excitement quickly dashed. Although Soldier of Light (as I know it from the shitty 8-bit ports), seemed kind of OK when I was messing around on it a few days ago.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Xain'd Sleena (what a rad name) is by Technos, IIRC... which should make it an easy ACA candidate, if G-Mode don't have the rights for whatever reason. Doesn't appear on this list, though I note with frothing boner that Thunder Zone is. (where the fuck is Night Slashers, don't tell me that fat neckbeard Johnny Turdbo ate it!)
Besides this, G-MODE owns many titles of DECO.
You better, motherfuckers Image Night Slashers? DAY 1 BAYBEE Image

We are in the age in which the universe is no longer just "a promised land." Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:(where the fuck is Night Slashers, don't tell me that fat neckbeard Johnny Turdbo ate it!)
Sadly he put it on top of a dominos pizza, scarfed it, washed it down with a 2 liter of Mountain Dew and barfed it back up onto consoles.