M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by BIL »

SavagePencil wrote:
BIL wrote:Iwadare, there's a name I've not heard in STG context for a while. Sharp choice! Guys like him and Sakimoto are the warrior kings of FM Synth, those custom drivers...

Love the makeover on Horror Story's schlubby exterminator dudes, makes me think of Cyber-Lip. :mrgreen:
I always thought the blue dude from Horror Story bore a resemblance to Todd (of Slime World fame).
Oh god, how'd I miss that one?! :lol: I've a great fondness for Western IPs on JP format, but I still couldn't quite bring myself to pick this up on MD. Just a bit too near Boogerman!

However, the PCE-CD one must be seen to be believed. How the fuck did any of these get published, I wonder... did someone lose a bet? It definitely seems like a situation involving a drunken middle manager found butt-naked and handcuffed to a lamppost somewhere in Roppongi.

SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I'm an OG Lynx guy and the 8-player masterpiece that is Todd's Adventures in Slime World was where my mind went when I first saw Horror Story's protagonists.

(Todds'?)

The MD version was ultra-disappointing. But the PC-E version was...wow, something else. I did not expect so many nipples.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:Iwadare, there's a name I've not heard in STG context for a while. Sharp choice! Guys like him and Sakimoto are the warrior kings of FM Synth, those custom drivers...

Love the makeover on Horror Story's schlubby exterminator dudes, makes me think of Cyber-Lip. :mrgreen:

Iwadare's a cool dude, and he's one of the best MD FM synth guys from when the system was in production. He did the sound driver and the arranged versions of all of the music on MD Zero Wing, which has one of the best soundtracks on the system, although I'm not really sure who did the music in the intro cutscenes. People can say what they want about Zero Wing, but holy fuck the MD version's soundtrack is completely insane. When I learned that he was going to be at Tokyo Game Music Show, I absolutely had to go talk to him and get him to sign a ton of stuff, including my Zero Wing and all 3 of my Gleylancers.

Honestly, I think the Horror Story art makes the bottom dude there kind of look like CATS... it's still a draft, but with how good she is, it's going to be awesome. I feel bad for whoever has to do the art for whatever the next collection is because they'll have a difficult time outdoing her. She's never been interviewed before and very few people know that she exists, so I am REALLY looking forward to seeing whatever it is that she has to say in the documentary.
hamfighterx wrote:Image

Nice, CATS art on the MD Euro version! Glad to see MD/PCE versions of both games, including regional variants.
The direct menu for this collection is glorious. It's the best one so far and none of the rest even compare to this one. Yeah, it's just a menu and you won't even see it until you launch a game and then close it, but they took the time to make it look really nice.
BIL wrote:I gotta say, while I was never compelled to try out the PCE/CD versions of these games on hardware (see also Kyuukyoku Tiger, Daisenpu & Tatsujin) - seeing them lined up next to the AC and MD ones sure is nice, from archival standpoint. :o (I just associate Toaplan really strongly with the MD, I suppose - even the stuff not actually ported by them, like Kyuukyoku Tiger and Wardner and V-V just feels like it belongs there with Tatsujin, SameSame and Daisenpu... probably the snapcase fiend in me talking, haha)

No surprise, ofc. M2 have been killing it @ comprehensive sets for damn near two decades now, going back to the PS2's AGES 2500 Space Harrier II, Treasure Box, Fantasy Zone, Phantasy Star, Monster World.
This is so far the most complete collection; everything is here, including the option to choose between the Japan/NA/European versions of the arcade games. I wonder what differences there are between the NA and European versions of the arcade games...
BydoR9 wrote:I did a quick Google Lens translation on M2's video earlier. It seems to me that all the versions (PCe, MD, Arcade variants) will be on the disc.

Can anyone confirm this?
On the PS4 disc? No. On the Switch cart, yes.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:

I always thought the blue dude from Horror Story bore a resemblance to Todd (of Slime World fame).
Oh god, how'd I miss that one?! :lol: I've a great fondness for Western IPs on JP format, but I still couldn't quite bring myself to pick this up on MD. Just a bit too near Boogerman!

However, the PCE-CD one must be seen to be believed. How the fuck did any of these get published, I wonder... did someone lose a bet? It definitely seems like a situation involving a drunken middle manager found butt-naked and handcuffed to a lamppost somewhere in Roppongi.

The top of her left boob starts no higher than the middle of her torso. The bottom of the boob is lower than her belly button.

Also you can tell popped collar dude is cool cuz he wears shades and smokes a stogie. He also hangs out with Ultraman for some reason.
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

I want to speculate a bit on which games will be paired together.

Already Released:
Tiger Heli, Kyukyoku Tiger
Hishouzame, Same! Same! Same!

Confirmed:
Zero Wing, Hellfire

This leaves us with 10 games unconfirmed. There's a few pairs that are extremely likely to be released together. Most likely is Tatsujin and Tatsujin Oh since they're literally in the same series. Another highly likely pair is Out Zone and Fixeight given their similar gameplay styles, along with being the only games Toaplan made in that style. The last pair I'd say is extremely likely is Slap Fight and V-V for pretty much the same reasons as OutZone and Fixeight.

This leaves us with 4 games left, Daisenpuu, Vimana, Dogyuun, and Batsugun. I really don't know what M2 is planning for these because they don't really seem to fit together that well. I was half expecting Daisenpuu to be the bonus game for Hishou/Sam3 because no one really cares about it and those are the games it's closest to, but that didn't happen. No idea what they're going to do now as it's definitely the least similar of those four games to the others. I really can't come up with a set of pairs for those, best I can come up with is Dogyuun/Batsugun because finitely looping games (although Dogyuun is only because of a glitch) and Daisenpuu/Vimana, but that still doesn't really make much sense to me.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Would Batsugun Special be counted as a separate game? That's pretty much certain to be included with Batsugun.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

ZPScissors wrote:best I can come up with is Dogyuun/Batsugun because finitely looping games
Nah, because Batsugyuun!!, what else.
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

BrianC wrote:Would Batsugun Special be counted as a separate game? That's pretty much certain to be included with Batsugun.
Different version of the same game
Steven

Post by Steven »

I heard they fixed the Dogyuun!! crash glitch on the Astro City Mini V, so I think it's highly likely that M2's eventual release will also be fixed.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

If the collection with Slap Fight in it will include the Mega Drive port, will that also include Slap Fight MD?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Herr Schatten wrote:If the collection with Slap Fight in it will include the Mega Drive port, will that also include Slap Fight MD?
The JP and Asian MD minis included it and developers would have to go out of their way to remove it, so it's likely it would be included.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

ZPScissors wrote:This leaves us with 4 games left, Daisenpuu, Vimana, Dogyuun, and Batsugun. I really don't know what M2 is planning for these because they don't really seem to fit together that well. I was half expecting Daisenpuu to be the bonus game for Hishou/Sam3 because no one really cares about it and those are the games it's closest to, but that didn't happen. No idea what they're going to do now as it's definitely the least similar of those four games to the others. I really can't come up with a set of pairs for those, best I can come up with is Dogyuun/Batsugun because finitely looping games (although Dogyuun is only because of a glitch) and Daisenpuu/Vimana, but that still doesn't really make much sense to me.
Daisenpuu and Vimana do have a similarity in that they are the two Yuichiro Nozawa designed Toaplan shooters, so I think that reinforces that pairing. I was thinking about this a long time ago and came up with the same pairings you did, and Steven noted the Nozawa connection (see page 14 of this thread).
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Aha! I knew I'd read about that, recently. Couldn't quite recall where though - figures Steven had the info.

I'd love a Daisenpu/Vimana set just for the sheer audacity. :lol: Barely played the latter, but the former is one any STG tank n' gunboat aficionado should know. I'm sure they'll come up with some hyperobscure reading to get a good title. Vimana's Sanskrit roots have a lot of potential there! All else fails - just call it The Outsiders, and make sure the flyer's quintessential, fierily mournful text is visible.

The planet was utterly destroyed
by the final war.
The war was so terrible,
The surviving inhabitants chose to erase
the horrible memory of their planet's
devastation from their minds.

Spoiler

NO WAY OUT!!
HYPER VIOLENCE SHOOTING!

God damn son! Now that's the stuff. :shock: SADNESS, AND REVENGE Image THEY FIGHT ON, KEEPING ANGER IN THEIR HEARTS Image Image Image Image
BrianC wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:If the collection with Slap Fight in it will include the Mega Drive port, will that also include Slap Fight MD?
The JP and Asian MD minis included it and developers would have to go out of their way to remove it, so it's likely it would be included.
That's a relief :o I was wondering if it'd gone MIA on those platforms for a sec. SFMD is legit killer enough they could've sold it as its own cart, especially if you know about Toaplan Mode for loop start select and AC-styled shield timeout.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

What do you think will be the next Arcade Garage Release after Zerofire and when will it come Out?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
BIL

Post by BIL »

Time seems right for mahfuckin Tatsujin Tennou, but I'm a hopeful sort. TBH as long as they keep going I don't care which they choose.

Personal Pick FixOut tho :cool:
cfx

Post by cfx »

The Tatsujin pair is what I primarily want from Toaplan.

OT, but I hope they get back to Raizing and continue with Cave before they move on from PS4.

I want Batrider, Ibara, and Pink Sweets before this train comes to a halt. Battle Bakraid too, but I have that board so can live without it if I have to.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

ShotTriggers Batrider and Ibara+Ibara Kuro (but maybe not Pink Sweets?) sorta feel inevitable to me, but I would be deeply saddened if either of those don't come to pass.

Recent comments have also made me now really want to see Donpachi/Dodonpachi/Bee Storm - and shockingly enough, especially DDP2 Bee Storm (?!?!) From a preservation standpoint, I just think it would be cool to see that black sheep of a game get its day in the sun, M2 style. I'm not TOTALLY insane though, I would prefer to get it alongside Dodonpachi - a great M2 port of an actually great game, to go along with the weird curiosity of Bee Storm.

I also wouldn't mind a second Aleste collection: Aleste Gaiden (MSX), Aleste 2 (MSX), Musha Aleste (MD/Gen), Super Aleste (SFC/SNES), and Dennin/Robo Aleste (MCD/SCD). One can dream...

But yeah, back on topic for Toaplan, I'd sort of like to see Slap Fight/V-Five next. The oldest remaining Toaplan shooter and its spiritual sequel.
velo

Post by velo »

gbaplayer wrote:What do you think will be the next Arcade Garage Release after Zerofire and when will it come Out?
Keep in mind that everybody was predicting everything but Zero Wing/Hellfire, even after a guy in the know said that was rumored.

Do we have a date for the Horror Story art?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, Slap Fight MD's special mode is not going anywhere. They'd have to go out of their way to remove it. There are also no licensing issues, either, as Tatsujin has the IP. Even if they didn't because Ichikawa-san made Slap Fight MD, they are still in contact with Ichikawa-san, so they can fix that easily. Hell, I was just with Ichikawa-san and Uemura-san at an event today and we all talked together for a little while.

As for Vimana, part of the reason that I went to that event was to buy the remaining Toaplan OSTs that I didn't already have, which sadly included Vimana, but now I have the complete set of all 11 of them. Obligatory Space High Arrange Version: https://youtu.be/GXLeZ1f-7pE

For the past 4 months I have been trying to convince Uemura-san to play Space High with his band, and I think I finally managed to do it. It probably won't happen for a while, but it will probably happen eventually. That's Uemura-san on guitar in the arranged version of Space High BTW. He LOVES Space High and so do I and so should you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Other than "Space High," the only other tune I'd consider to represent Toaplan's SciFi side is the inimitably dick-swinging sup motherfuckers of "I Defend STM." But with its rudely unhurried pace and depth-charge bass, that's less for GAMUSHARA Image Image, more arcade gaming's fundamental "adapt or GTFO" ethos. :wink: "You just ain't got it. So stop whining and get lost." :cool:

(Army side gets TSUUGARU, but it has to be the MD ver - just not the same without those overdriven guitars and punishing drums Image)
hamfighterx wrote:I also wouldn't mind a second Aleste collection: Aleste Gaiden (MSX), Aleste 2 (MSX), Musha Aleste (MD/Gen), Super Aleste (SFC/SNES), and Dennin/Robo Aleste (MCD/SCD). One can dream...
I'd love to see them explore that Japanese PC blind spot a bit. Zanac and Aleste's OG MSX versions, Rude Breaker, and also stuff like Nemesis '90 Kai. Also MSX2+X68k Dracula, and really going off-script, stuff like X68k Granada and Sol Feace.

Basically, announce MSX and X68000 Shooting Anthologies, then put it on the back burner with their DECO project. :mrgreen: (would be a fine place to stash that homemade X68k Gauntlet that got them into the industry, too)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Have you heard the stereo soundtrack for Tatsujin Ou? It's so good. Here is I DEFEND STM in stereo: https://youtu.be/1I-0Bc34e9c

I always forget to ask Yuge-san what STM actually means every time I see him. I even got him to sign the fucking OST and I still forgot... someday I will remember! But yeah, M2 NEEDS to have the stereo soundtrack available on their release, whenever it is. LIVE IN FUTURE sounds especially different in stereo, but I like the stereo soundtrack. It's all on the City Connection/Clarice Disc version of the OST, and it's worth buying just for that.

Tsugaru, though... nothing comes close to Uemura-san's new arranged version: https://youtu.be/bJ1TDeJIrAg

I absolutely believe that this is what he had in mind 35 years ago but was prevented from doing this by hardware limitations, so seeing him finally be able to realize it now makes me very happy. The drummer there is Matsumoto Daisuke, BTW. He shows up everywhere these days.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah damn, I shoulda searched in kanji! Yeah, the stereo is a must. Brings back memories of ripping stuff in BridgeM1, which (IIRC) had stereo support... I know I still got my MegaBlast rip from back then, when Clarice Disc seemed an impossibility.

(no matter how hard CC fuck up elsewhere, I can't disavow them entirely - whoever's in charge of their OST division is a true go-getter)
Steven wrote:Tsugaru, though... nothing comes close to Uemura-san's new arranged version: https://youtu.be/bJ1TDeJIrAg

Iconic gamushara.

I always remember him mentioning in this interview, that he didn't think his music stood apart from the games the way others could...
Uemura wrote:If I listen to Konami or Sega’s music outside of the game, I still really enjoy it, but when I hear the music I wrote apart from the game, it sounds really lonely, cheap, and embarassing. From a technical standpoint I think we definitely weren’t on a very high level, and I personally can’t believe how many fans we still have, and how passionate they are about the music.
...but in this earlier one, talking about his preferred sound:
Iona: What type of bands do you like?

Uemura: I like folk songs: something you'd hear in Kaguya-hime. Since there are no new tracks in that genre, I've continually listened to old songs. I generally like dark sounds... hard rock also has many songs with dark melodies, especially the European stuff. When I was in [the band], we were doing gloomy, European-style songs.
I know artists tend to self-deprecate, but it has to be said, amongst STG music, Uemura's stuff in particular was always inimitably fiery yet grey-hued. Only the much later Sato & Sato's iconic Raiden I & II OSTs come close, imo, and the first even has a barely-disguised cover of Hishouzame's st2 BGM for its own second stage.

That Tsugaru arrangement is a great illustration. Even out of game context, it's a striking counterpoint to the unbridled FUCK YEAAA! of an A-JAX or After Burner II. I love those outfits too - what kinda sadsack numbnuts couldn't? :shock: - and ultimately, it's that divebombing intro power chord heralding a vicious naval skirmish I associate most with Tsugaru. But there's a time and place for everything, you know? Uemura and co are most definitely A Thing, irreplaceably smouldering. :cool:

Also:
Actually around the time I was at Cave, I made a hard rock-only ringtone site. It was called Sakuretsu [Explosion] Rock (laughs).
^ Always makes me smile. :mrgreen: That's a great name! (all credit to blackoak/shmuplations and GP/gamengai for quotes!)
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:
Steven wrote:Tsugaru, though... nothing comes close to Uemura-san's new arranged version: https://youtu.be/bJ1TDeJIrAg

Iconic gamushara.
He put some more up yesterday, too: https://youtu.be/zg24hshjG1k
BIL wrote:I always remember him mentioning in this interview, that he didn't think his music stood apart from the games the way others could...
Uemura wrote:If I listen to Konami or Sega’s music outside of the game, I still really enjoy it, but when I hear the music I wrote apart from the game, it sounds really lonely, cheap, and embarassing. From a technical standpoint I think we definitely weren’t on a very high level, and I personally can’t believe how many fans we still have, and how passionate they are about the music.
...but in this earlier one, talking about his preferred sound:
Iona: What type of bands do you like?

Uemura: I like folk songs: something you'd hear in Kaguya-hime. Since there are no new tracks in that genre, I've continually listened to old songs. I generally like dark sounds... hard rock also has many songs with dark melodies, especially the European stuff. When I was in [the band], we were doing gloomy, European-style songs.
I know artists tend to self-deprecate, but it has to be said, amongst STG music, Uemura's stuff in particular was always inimitably fiery yet grey-hued. Only the much later Sato & Sato's iconic Raiden I & II OSTs come close, imo, and the first even has a barely-disguised cover of Hishouzame's st2 BGM for its own second stage.

That Tsugaru arrangement is a great illustration. Even out of game context, it's a striking counterpoint to the unbridled FUCK YEAAA! of an A-JAX or After Burner II. I love those outfits too - what kinda sadsack numbnuts couldn't? :shock: - and ultimately, it's that divebombing intro power chord heralding a vicious naval skirmish I associate most with Tsugaru. But there's a time and place for everything, you know? Uemura and co are most definitely A Thing, irreplaceably smouldering. :cool:

Also:
Actually around the time I was at Cave, I made a hard rock-only ringtone site. It was called Sakuretsu [Explosion] Rock (laughs).
^ Always makes me smile. :mrgreen: That's a great name! (all credit to blackoak/shmuplations and GP/gamengai for quotes!)
Yeah, I remember the first time I read that interview. Pretty sure it was after I'd already met him, so it made me really sad that he thought his music sounded like shit. I don't think it does, but he definitely was frustrated by Toaplan's management not allowing the devs to have better audio hardware on their game PCBs until it was absolutely necessary, and I think a lot of it is him wishing that he'd had better hardware.

They didn't have FM audio until 1987 and were stuck with PSG until then, and then it took forever for them to get PCM, which they barely used and then they went back to only FM again by the time of V-V because management was cheap as fuck and didn't care about audio. By the time of V-V they were probably already having financial trouble, and then they wasted a shitload of money developing the most expensive game they ever made, Enma Daiou, which of course got released in such small quantities that even now apparently there are people that are not sure if it actually got released at all, so of course it failed miserably and lost them a huge amount of money.

I mentioned it a while ago, I think, but earlier this year I asked Yuge-san about Enma Daiou and he said that everyone who worked on the game ended up with some form of misfortune, almost as if the game is cursed. Fucking Enma Daiou... there is extremely little information on that game out there, and even now the soundtrack has never been released and I have no idea who did the music for it.

Anyway, yeah, those Toaplan music guys are all great.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Toyama Yuuichi and Hamster showed off the Hayashi Miho Horror Story art on Arcade Archiver
Spoiler
Teki-Paki covers are also up, but the images are pretty small

BIL

Post by BIL »

As befits the mind behind CATS, that Horror Story art is some splendid evil. Image All the big bads look so pleased to be there! Love it. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Yo waitaminute, on Arcade Archiver? :shock: That's low-key really positive to hear... I'd love to see M2 and Hamster's respective camps interact a bit more. They're towering heads and shoulders over anyone else in the field at this point.
Steven

Post by Steven »

See? I told you it would be great~

Here are the cropped no-logo versions. PS4 box aspect ratio once again loses to Switch box aspect ratio. I wonder how they will look with the logos.

Definitely need to get the poster for this one when it's available, along with the one for Zero Fire itself, although I have no idea how I'll manage to do that.

Anyway, yeah, Toyama from Taito showed Tatsujin's new art of Toaplan's game that is being rereleased by M2 on Hamster's Youtube show. Weird to think about considering you'd figure there would be a ridiculous mess of licensing to get around to do that, but most of the 80s/90s shooting devs that are still working in the industry all know each other, so it's probably not too hard for them to do stuff like this.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

Steven wrote:Teki-Paki covers are also up, but the images are pretty small
can't help but feel like the PS4 cover got shafted... not only do they just cut it off but the parodied design elements seem to be based off the logos from the switch box.

oh well, probably still gonna get it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think the only ones where PS4 didn't get screwed were Get Star and Wardner. I guess also City Connection's Batsugun if you want to count that too.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Okay, so I noticed this with the original 1983 listing but those Teki-Paki cover mockups drive me to ask: am I just reading something wrong, or are there really 3 Teki-Paki cover sheets included as the shop special bonus? And are they all the same design, or is there any indication they might be different?

Love how those edited cover sheets replace the PS, Nintendo, and CERO logos.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yes, there are 3 of them, although I didn't see anything about them being different or not. I imagine there are 3 of them so you can have your Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli, Hishou Same! Same! Same!, and Zero Fire all become Teki-Paki so when your friends come over you can show them how much you reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally love Teki-Paki.