M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:Much appreciated, Steven!
Steven wrote:The director of the Ray'z collection wasn't born yet when RayForce was released.
Daww :mrgreen:
Yeah, sure, no problem. Nothing much interesting yet, though.

lol and they just said he was 2 when RayCrisis released.

In case anyone is wondering why Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble are here, it's just because Toyama is here or something.

Oh shit, DDP Daioujou. Fuck, I just bought that on PS2 earlier this year lol
Last edited by Steven on Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Whoooooah can’t say I was expecting DOJ here!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Very unexpected, so I am guessing IKD will be here soon.

lol yep, there he is.

This release was a request from CAVE.

NAMIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Namiki apparently participated in the DonPachi location test. He says that he still felt a lot of Toaplan in it when he played it there.

Key art by Joker Jun

lol there is no Toaplan announcement
Last edited by Steven on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

So DOJ Black Label? I'd rather Batrider or Ibara, but I am still pleased with that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

They didn't really say anything about it, but I would be surprised if every version of the game, including Death Label, isn't included.

Looks like they changed a ton of staff working on Usubuna, and they are redoing some of it entirely. I already forgot what it was that they are redoing, though. The only thing they have to show about it today is audio, so they say to prepare yourselves for disappointment.

IKD says that he hopes that M2 DOJ will be even better than M2 Ketsui... and that he is looking forward to Ubusuna lol

Horii is doing some sort of Toaplan survey on Twitter soon, so if you use that, go check.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

What was announced today?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Steven

Post by Steven »

ShotTriggers Daioujou. That's it.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Isn't this massive news? :o I'm surprised more are not losing their minds!
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

DOJ and DOJBL having excellent PS2 and PS3+XB360 ports respectively probably damps it a bit, but yeah, the thought of ShotTriggers treatment with full practice tools and everything is a beyond day 1 buy.

I wonder if they'll ever sort out DP and DDP? Probably hoping a bit much for one release, but those ones are distinctly more in need of home representation. Still, glad to hear they're trucking on!
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

BIL wrote:DOJ and DOJBL having excellent PS2 and PS3+XB360 ports respectively probably damps it a bit, but yeah, the thought of ShotTriggers treatment with full practice tools and everything is a beyond day 1 buy.

I wonder if they'll ever sort out DP and DDP? Probably hoping a bit much for one release, but those ones are distinctly more in need of home representation. Still, glad to hear they're trucking on!
It was never released on PS3, and the BL version on the 360 was a horrible port by any measure. So basically we never got a decent home version of BL. This is huge news, finally getting the best version of DOJ with both black label and white label (and probably more).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I just bought this on PS2 only a few months ago, so it's not as exciting as it might be otherwise.

Still, I am always glad to get things off of the PS2 because fuck interlaced video. I was planning on getting 360 BL, though, and now I don't have to! This will probably be both cheaper and better, too, as used copies are getting up there in price.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haddock wrote:It was never released on PS3, and the BL version on the 360 was a horrible port by any measure.
Didn't BL get a PS3 port later on? I may be confusing it with Ketsui. As for the 360 one, post-patch with Mihara's assistance it was generally well-liked around here, as with Ketsui. I've never played it much, but I'm surprised to read that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ketsui is the one on PS3.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah, makes sense. I noped out hard on PS3 for STGs that gen.

That whole episode was so surreal. Aqua stealing the PS2 DOJWL code out of Arika's dumpster, Mihara trashing the pre-patched version before realising it was his own code, then working with them to salvage the utter shitshow... :lol:

One of the great misadventures in home porting, surely. I remember being absolutely stunned that 360 Ketsui turned out relatively superb, though I sure as shit jumped on DeathTiny later anyway.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

PS3 had .. uh .. Mamoru-kun Curse. That wasn't that bad, right? lol. Let's face it, Xbox 360 was the place to go for shmup ports during that era. Even the friggin' Wii had more shmup ports. Goddamn.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Why no Toaplan Arcade Garage news? I thought they teased this before the stream. Iam a little bit sad now.
heli

Post by heli »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-18pYzKhg

edit: oh wait here is see it is do don pachi oujoujou or something .
Only that nothing more ?, i want it anyway dont get me wrong.
Last edited by heli on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol there is no info to translate.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote:Still, I am always glad to get things off of the PS2 because fuck interlaced video.
PS2 DOJ in tate mode runs pure 240p
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:
Steven wrote:Still, I am always glad to get things off of the PS2 because fuck interlaced video.
PS2 DOJ in tate mode runs pure 240p
It does, but I don't have a way to use that since I can't really rotate my CRT safely due to its weight. At least shitty Thunder Force VI has progressive scan, but that's like the worst consolation prize in history...
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

No Toaplan news :cry: this hurts my heart! I am eternally grateful to have Sky Shark on the Switch , but I'm sad there's no news of a Truxton release. Maybe we'll get a Toaplan release in 2024?
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Steven

Post by Steven »

At this rate it will take until at least 2030 for them to finish everything.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Did they mention anything about the Toaplan Vol. 3?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Seems not, sadly. :sad:
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Any idea what that poll was about on Twitter, Steven? I saw it, but can't read Japanese. If that's the only mention we get of Toaplan from this presentation, it'd be good to know what's up. I hope the project has not gone into deep freeze
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

MJR wrote:
Steven wrote:Go for the Slap Fight 1CC. Not only is it one of the top 3~5 best games Toaplan ever made, it's also really REALLY easy, and since it's only 12 minutes long if you no miss, practicing is pretty easy. You also kind of have no choice but to 1CC the game or game over anyway since it doesn't seem to have continues at all, unless I'm doing something wrong.
That's not a bad idea - I recently tried Slap Fight for the first time on Mame and liked it immediately!
I'd say Vimana with 30hz autofire is easier than Slap Fight, even.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Haddock wrote:the BL version on the 360 was a horrible port by any measure.
I think this is a major exaggeration. Especially post-patch, BL 360 is fine. A lot of the complaints about it seem more rooted in the drama (stolen code!) than the actual port quality, as well complaints about things like display issues that were resolved with patches. A lot of the initial complaints were also about things that, while not great, don't affect gameplay at all: weird menu UI with inconsistent design language (sometimes B is back, sometimes Start is back, etc.), initial load times that are slightly higher than people liked (was like 30sec+ at launch, and improved with patch), some issues with replays, etc.

I'm sure M2 will still make the definitive port, just as they did with Ketsui replacing the very good 5pb 360/PS3 port, but the 360 DOJ complaints are so overblown.
Haddock wrote:I have never played DOJ simply because I never owned a Japanese PS2 or 360
OK, so with this quote from the other DOJ specific topic, you're saying you've never even actually played the 360 version that you claim to be "horrible"...
BIL wrote:I wonder if they'll ever sort out DP and DDP? Probably hoping a bit much for one release, but those ones are distinctly more in need of home representation.
Totally agreed, and reading about Namiki's comments about the Donpachi location test really made me wish for DP/DDP even more.

I'm a little conflicted, DDP DOJ is one of my all time favorites and I know M2 will do it justice with a great port. But I'd also be a bit more excited for something without any decent ports like a Batrider, or an Ibara/Ibara Kuro pack (my ultimate hope). Had the same feelings about Ketsui though, and I absolutely love the ShotTriggers version , so... eh, OK.

It is a little sad not to see any Toaplan news. I'd love M2 to settle into a rhythm of being able to do, say, 1 Toaplan Arcade Garage + 1 non-Toaplan ShotTriggers game per year (I mean, I'd like them to do even more - but keeping to something more realistic here). Maybe we'll still get that in 2023, but woulda been cool to see something like Tatsujin.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Who really knows why Toaplan got snubbed? A big big shame.

I'd speculate that Tatsujin Co.'s wildly liberal licensing has made M2's deluxe treatment much less financially viable. Not to mention that, if the goal is to contribute to 'the culture,' the Toaplan games are likely soon going to be receiving solid PC ports. M2 seem to want to go where they'll have the most impact.

It would do Tatsujin a lot of good to come out through ShotTriggers. The incoming enemy from offscreen warnings would help mitigate some of the aged crust that so many have a hard time getting past. Oh well.

Here's to hoping it doesn't just die like Toaplan Shooting Collection back in the day.
BIL

Post by BIL »

jehu wrote:Here's to hoping it doesn't just die like Toaplan Shooting Collection back in the day.
You ever see that bit near the end of MGS4, where Snake is crawling down a microwave-scorched corridor, his chiseled ass cheeks literally on fire, before he finally reaches the "off" switch?

That's how I felt seeing Garage make it to Volume 2. :lol: Honestly I hope they continue, but just getting that bleedin' Hishouzame perfect port and Same3 1P for the bucket list - particularly after Volume 1 was all but identical to the PS1 disc WRT roster :shock: - felt like a cooling blast of CO2 to my burning buns. :lol:
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I've read that they indeed announced Vol. 3 being under development, they just chose not to give details for now.