M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
charlie chong

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by charlie chong »

Steven wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
Steven wrote: With fake ROM chips: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180904607
I'm still not sure which ones you're referring to.
Is it the row of mask roms at the top?
Difficult to see on these pics with the low resolution, have you seen the actual board in their shop?

Or are you talking about the 2 eproms that have a replacement label?
The chips with the Mitsubishi labels are most likely fakes. Here is another one that they have, this time with a set of both Fire Shark ROMs and 2P Same! ROMs as an extra. https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180904637

I am not an expert on Toaplan boards, but I know someone who is, so while I can check to see what he says, I can pretty much guarantee that he'll say these are fakes.

Here is a real Same!: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180000853
Yeah, check out that price. Significantly more expensive than either of these Tatsujin Ou boards, and that's for just the board itself.

https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180902513
https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180000780
Those are not "fake ROM" chips, those are EPROMs, which are re-writeable. What usually happens is they can go bad or the game code can be updated and you can burn a new version of the game.

The PCB is the real deal. I thought you meant a conversion with the mask ROMs being replacements.

As far as price goes, there are people who pay more for original ERPOM stickers and want things like that out of the factory. I won't judge that one way or the other, but will agree people pay more for the factory stickers.
That's not how it comes from the factory, so unless this was done officially by Toaplan, it's basically a bootleg. I sent these URLs over to my friend, who is the director of the Toaplan documentary, to take a look at. He's basically the world's leading expert on Toaplan now, so if he says they are fake, they are fake.
i don't want be mean man but you are a noob and should stop trying to school people who have been playing toaplan in the arcade since they were 8 years old
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

charlie chong wrote: i don't want be mean man but you are a noob and should stop trying to school people who have been playing toaplan in the arcade since they were 8 years old
Yeah man, no one wants to be mean here. I think he's new and just doesn't know. It's OK as he's enthusiastic about Toaplan and we need that level of energy as we get older!
MJR

Post by MJR »

charlie chong wrote:
i don't want be mean man but you are a noob and should stop trying to school people who have been playing toaplan in the arcade since they were 8 years old
You don't want to be mean, but you decided nonetheless to stir and kick the pot and see if you can provoke him back to fighting with you, just when he made friends with the person he was arguing with :lol:
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Rastan78 wrote:
Yoshi wrote:With apologies for off-topic question, does anyone know what the heck Final Bubble Bobble is on Switch? I can't find any credit to M2 for Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, which appears to be the only one on the platform.
https://segabits.com/blog/2019/11/29/bu ... l-edition/
Thank you, sir. Now it all makes sense. M2 developed it in the same way they developed the Yakuza games.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

MJR wrote:
charlie chong wrote:
You don't want to be mean, but you decided nonetheless to stir and kick the pot and see if you can provoke him back to fighting with you, just when he made friends with the person he was arguing with :lol:
:P

Also, we were NOT fighting, I was getting some clarification, and when I understood what he was saying, I was giving him some friendly shit.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's been over a year since Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli and a while since Hishou Same! Same! Same!, so with the announcement tomorrow, how many of you actually got the clears on those collections? I know ZPScissors got the (world's first) Same! 1P clear on PS4, I got the 2P Same! clear on both 1P side and 2P side, at least a handful of people including myself got the Hishouzame clear, and I think a few people including me posted clears for Tiger-Heli on PS4 or Switch in the high score thread, but I am too lazy to check right now. There might be someone that I forgot, though.

Did anyone actually get the Kyuukyoku Tiger clear on PS4/Switch? I am working on it now. I made it to stage 9 a few weeks ago but seem to have regressed to struggling with stage 5 again after taking a break from the game for a few days, so I will try, but I think I won't get it by the end of the year.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I know I didn't, I've been slumming it hard the last year-plus. :lol: 1ALLed Tiger and KT+TC back on PS1, if that counts. :cool: Needless to say, they got my money even if I'm yet to partake, as it will be with ACGv3. STG and other fine arcade gaming is eternal. Image

(does 1ALLing ACA Raiden count? that's a Toaplan, right? :lol:)
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol I need to give Raiden a serious shot since it's on ACA. I played it on the Astro City Mini V, but it's the Astro City Mini V, so I really should just go buy it on ACA instead. Still hoping for ACA Raiden DX to happen.

Does Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 have weird scrolling on a real PS1? I've only tried it on the MiSTer, and while it was nice to have the arranged soundtracks (Uemura-san's doing, I believe), that being the only thing that it has that the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases don't have, the scrolling was kind of odd. I don't know if that was the MiSTer being weird or not.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm, it's been years, but I want to say I didn't notice anything amiss. Additionally, ala Gradius Deluxe Pack, it's one of those pickier PS1 discs that won't work properly on PS2 (Tiger Heli will play, but KT+TC run in slowmo), and I remember having trouble getting it to boot in ePSXe, as well. So I wanna say it might've been on MiSTer's end, as an obscure and finicky disc. Uemura has always spoken highly of that set, too.

https://www.gamengai.com/#/cmnt-info?id=2332&p=4
Toaplan Forever wrote:Uemura: Akuu Galette. That was made by the staff that I brought from Toaplan.

Iona: Did the same team develop the Toaplan console ports?

Uemura: No. There was a different team that handled the console game line, but even then the same people didn't make Batsugun and Toaplan Shooting Battle. They were all fantastic technicians. They basically copied the game over exactly like it was.

Iona: So the ports weren't in fact made by Toaplan using techniques and knowledge gained on previous Toaplan projects.

Uemura: It was mostly done with emulation, and done well, so even the most hardcore will be pleased with it.
It's one of my favourite little relics, with that "Vol. 1" forever haunting. :lol: (see also the "Toaplan Masterpiece Series" logo at Saturn Batsugun's bootup Image). Doesn't hurt so bad post-TACGv1 Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, he really likes Toaplan Shooting Battle 1, and I am guessing it's a MiSTer thing as well. I thought about buying the disc for a while, but then I found out that it doesn't work on a PS2 and I have one of those, not a PS1, and also because I already had the PS4 and Switch collection at that point, which is cheaper anyway.

I have wondered what Toaplan Shooting Battle 2 would have been, although it's possible that they never even got to the planning phase on that given both the legal problems and Gazelle not being around for long, but I doubt they would have called it Shooting Battle 1 without at least some idea of what they wanted to do for Shooting Battle 2.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

As we await the M2 stream...

GyroBlade - anyone familiar with it? Saw this while browsing the Switch eshop new releases today. Looks HEAVILY inspired by Kyu Tiger and Tiger Heli (like, at first glance I thought I saw Toaplan). Looked it up to see it was released on Steam 2 years ago, has a handful of fairly positive reviews there. Made by a Japanese indie dev (solo dev?) called H.T.Project Games.

Probably gonna just buy it to support an indie dev, but curious if anyone has heard of it or has opinions, and wanted to let people who weren't aware of it know that it exists.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha, cute! I love the FC Kyuukyoku: Redemption aesthetic. The little Micronics port that very nearly almost could. :mrgreen:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Forgot about that game. I saw it on Steam a few months ago and I was curious about it but never tried it. Uemura-san posted it on Twitter a while ago, noting its similarity to Kyuukyoku Tiger, too. It certainly looks very much like FC K Tiger. Didn't know there is a Switch verion.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I don't think I have ever been able to 1cc any Toaplan game, no matter how much I love and play them. And I've been playing them since the 80's.

There is just something about them that stabs me in the ass. Whether it is death by too much speed or the eventual surprise shot in my butt - either from edge of screen or from few pixels away.

It's not that I don't love them or play them; I've been playing the HECK out of KK Tiger on Switch, but I never got further than Stage 5. On Truxton, I can reach the final area (which is bit farther when I had my PCB as Tatsujin untill I rewired it and installed autofire circuit).

On Out Zone, I've got into last stage. Hellfire, I get bitch slapped on the last stage as well.

Usually I would accuse games of cheap deaths when they pull antics like Toaplan games do - but strangely with them this is never the case. I never blame the game when I get slapped on Toaplan games.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Go for the Slap Fight 1CC. Not only is it one of the top 3~5 best games Toaplan ever made, it's also really REALLY easy, and since it's only 12 minutes long if you no miss, practicing is pretty easy. You also kind of have no choice but to 1CC the game or game over anyway since it doesn't seem to have continues at all, unless I'm doing something wrong.
MJR wrote:Usually I would accuse games of cheap deaths when they pull antics like Toaplan games do - but strangely with them this is never the case. I never blame the game when I get slapped on Toaplan games.
This specifically is one of the best things about Toaplan; if you die, it's almost always guaranteed to be your fault.

Unless you are playing 1P Same! Same! Same! or Tatsujin Ou, anyway.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote:Go for the Slap Fight 1CC. Not only is it one of the top 3~5 best games Toaplan ever made, it's also really REALLY easy, and since it's only 12 minutes long if you no miss, practicing is pretty easy. You also kind of have no choice but to 1CC the game or game over anyway since it doesn't seem to have continues at all, unless I'm doing something wrong.
That's not a bad idea - I recently tried Slap Fight for the first time on Mame and liked it immediately!
Steven

Post by Steven »

MJR wrote:
Steven wrote:Go for the Slap Fight 1CC. Not only is it one of the top 3~5 best games Toaplan ever made, it's also really REALLY easy, and since it's only 12 minutes long if you no miss, practicing is pretty easy. You also kind of have no choice but to 1CC the game or game over anyway since it doesn't seem to have continues at all, unless I'm doing something wrong.
That's not a bad idea - I recently tried Slap Fight for the first time on Mame and liked it immediately!
Go for it! Slap Fight is a god-tier game. Yes, it's easy, at least for the first few loops, as loop 8 somewhat resembles the terrifying 1P Same! Same! Same! before resetting to loop 1's difficulty on loop 9, but none of that prevents it from being awesome.

Also don't miss Slap Fight MD; not made by Toaplan aside from some minor suggestions from Uemura-san, but it's stupidly good, surpassing the original Slap Fight in basically every way.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Steven wrote:It's been over a year since Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli and a while since Hishou Same! Same! Same!, so with the announcement tomorrow, how many of you actually got the clears on those collections? I know ZPScissors got the (world's first) Same! 1P clear on PS4, I got the 2P Same! clear on both 1P side and 2P side, at least a handful of people including myself got the Hishouzame clear, and I think a few people including me posted clears for Tiger-Heli on PS4 or Switch in the high score thread, but I am too lazy to check right now. There might be someone that I forgot, though.
I did a 1-all of Tiger Heli due to a childhood grudge. I haven't tried to clear the other titles because I've been going hard on Raiden Fighters Aces.

Regardless, I'll be buying whatever M2 puts out, since titles go out of print and become idiotically expensive nowadays.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

If the announcement today is about another garage release, should someone start a new thread about it? This thread is getting pretty long, but if people prefer to have all of their releases in one thread that's fine with me too.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ice Beam wrote:
Steven wrote:It's been over a year since Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli and a while since Hishou Same! Same! Same!, so with the announcement tomorrow, how many of you actually got the clears on those collections? I know ZPScissors got the (world's first) Same! 1P clear on PS4, I got the 2P Same! clear on both 1P side and 2P side, at least a handful of people including myself got the Hishouzame clear, and I think a few people including me posted clears for Tiger-Heli on PS4 or Switch in the high score thread, but I am too lazy to check right now. There might be someone that I forgot, though.
I did a 1-all of Tiger Heli due to a childhood grudge. I haven't tried to clear the other titles because I've been going hard on Raiden Fighters Aces.

Regardless, I'll be buying whatever M2 puts out, since titles go out of print and become idiotically expensive nowadays.
I actually really like Tiger-Heli. It is super frustrating to have a tank appear underneath you at the side of the screen and snipe you immediately since there is no bullet sealing, though.
seattlexc wrote:If the announcement today is about another garage release, should someone start a new thread about it? This thread is getting pretty long, but if people prefer to have all of their releases in one thread that's fine with me too.
It is going to be another Toaplan Arcade Garage game. The Same collection got its own thread, but everyone mostly ignored it and came back here.
heli

Post by heli »

Announcment today ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yes. You gon get fucc 2DAY boi Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

heli wrote:Announcment today ?
Yes, in ~18 hours and 11 minutes

Edit: Lol damn ninja BIL!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Still you gave me quite a scratch Image Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol you just barely beat me!

Here is the URL: https://youtu.be/zLdZfwxQWqk

Looks like Aleste Branch will be there, Ubusuna will be there, Toyama Yuuichi will be there for Ray'z stuff, and they have an IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!! of some sort and also a guest of currently unknown identity. I wonder who it is. I am hoping that it's Uemura-san showing up to announce U-Brand arranged soundtracks for all of the Toaplan collections, including the ones that already got released. Somehow I have a feeling that that is not what it will be, but it won't stop me from hoping for it.

Anyway, I expect, or at least am hoping for, the following:

title = TATSUJINを超えて王となれ
or some variation of that, as that old 達人を超えて王となれ!! is too cool to not be a badass title for a Tatsujin collection.

It will be released in mid-June and it will consist of

Tatsujin
Truxton
MD Tatsujin (with fixed music since they already have the ROM for it)
Genesis Truxton (with fixed music since they already have the ROM for it)
PC Engine Tatsujin

Tatsujin Ou (with stereo soundtrack)
Truxton II (with stereo soundtrack)
the FM Towns version will not be included

Dash Yarou
Rally Bike
FC Dash Yarou
NES Rally Bike
velo

Post by velo »

Ice Beam wrote:

I cleared Tiger-Heli too. I decided not to even open Same until I got the Kyuukyoku clear and, well, I think I never did better than stage 4 on one credit. :oops: Maybe next year. Fingers crossed for Horror Story.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BTW I will be doing (a probably partial) live translation here in this thread just like last time if people want me to. My Japanese is super terrible and I can't really do anything for most technical terms (and by that I mean game development terms), but I will do what I can. Don't expect too much.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote:BTW I will be doing (a probably partial) live translation here in this thread just like last time if people want me to.
Yes, please! I'm sure your Japanese is better than mine, so whatever insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Okay, they are playing Ray'z live with Toyama. Then IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT with someone (IKD?) and then Toaplan, then Aleste Branch and then Ubusuna.

lol Kubota's lights

I guess I will just edit this post a shitload or whatever.

The director of the Ray'z collection wasn't born yet when RayForce was released.

They seem to be stressing that this is still in development quite frequently.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Much appreciated, Steven!
Steven wrote:The director of the Ray'z collection wasn't born yet when RayForce was released.
Daww :mrgreen: