M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Steven »

Yeah, Slap Fight does have that. Not sure what to do about the colors, though; I was under the impression that the New Astro's monitor should degauss itself and fix its color issues after rotating it or something like that, so I'll have to figure something out with that.

Well, I found the DIP switch settings online no problem since those are easy, but I have no idea which set of switches is the first set and which is the second set, so I guess I'll just flip shit until it's good lol.

Okay, got it. Now to fix the monitor's colors being totally messed up...
Last edited by Steven on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

That discoloration will hopefully just be solved by degaussing. When you rotate a CRT you get magnetic distortion. If your monitor has what looks like a thick black cable that loops all the around the tube, that's the degaussing coil. Once you have the monitor in its proper orientation cycle it on and off waiting a little while with it turned off. If you hear that distinctive pop and fading buzz sound at power on then the coil is doing its thing.

If you don't hear the buzz then you can buy a cheap degaussing wand that you wave in front of the screen to clear up the distortion. Of course you could have a worse problem, but that's the first thing I'd check, especially if colors looked ok when the monitor wasn't rotated.

Edit: ah I see your post above now. Yeah just check for that sound as that will tell you if it's degaussing by itself.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I bought it on Yahoo Auctions several months ago but had no games for it until just yesterday, but it looked fine in the pictures, so I'm guessing it's because I rotated it. For now, Joe told me to go kill the boss in the desert section to check for... um, something that I forgot, but to make sure I have no graphical glitching when the arms are destroyed.

I'll power cycle it a few times and see what happens, but probably not too much for today; I have to go to the laundromat and do laundry and stuff, and I kind of have to put my house back together since I moved the Astro around a bit and it's kind of in the way, so I'll have to do some rearranging to make it a bit more comfortable. That thing is damn heavy, and I really don't like moving it around because of that.

BTW for Slap Fight PCB owners, is your shot button on A or B? Mine is on B, and I always thought it was A. Oh well; this matches with Slap Fight MD's default controls so I don't have to mess with my muscle memory!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The Astro City PSU should have a degauss button on it (looks the same as the test and service buttons). If the degauss doesn't work, the built in degauss coil is broken, and you need a separate degauss ring of sorts.

I don't think I've ever seen an Astro City degauss on its own without using the button? Might be a difference between revisions though.
Steven wrote: BTW for Slap Fight PCB owners, is your shot button on A or B? Mine is on B, and I always thought it was A. Oh well; this matches with Slap Fight MD's default controls so I don't have to mess with my muscle memory!
I have the non-JAMMA version if it weren't obvious, and the buttons are simply called "shoot" or "select arms", there's no designated buttons A or B, or 1 or 2, so it's really up to how your cabinet is wired.
I've quite often come across old games where the adapters don't really make sense either, for example System16 adapters tend to switch around buttons 1 and 2 from what I'm used to, but wide standards were also less established at that point.
But if there's actually a JAMMA version of Slap Fight, it's gotta be early enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the designers didn't consider which button does what, it's just pins on an edge connector after all. Which feature ends up on which button is all down to your CP wiring. :P
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:The Astro City PSU should have a degauss button on it (looks the same as the test and service buttons). If the degauss doesn't work, the built in degauss coil is broken, and you need a separate degauss ring of sorts.

I don't think I've ever seen an Astro City degauss on its own without using the button? Might be a difference between revisions though.
Okay. It's labeled DEMAG on mine for some reason. Turn it off first and press it or press it when it's on? Should I disconnect the game first? I don't want to mess anything up, and since I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, I'm generally just doing lots of research or asking around here before I do anything at all.
Sumez wrote:I have the non-JAMMA version if it weren't obvious, and the buttons are simply called "shoot" or "select arms", there's no designated buttons A or B, or 1 or 2, so it's really up to how your cabinet is wired.
I've quite often come across old games where the adapters don't really make sense either, for example System16 adapters tend to switch around buttons 1 and 2 from what I'm used to, but wide standards were also less established at that point.
But if there's actually a JAMMA version of Slap Fight, it's gotta be early enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the designers didn't consider which button does what, it's just pins on an edge connector after all. Which feature ends up on which button is all down to your CP wiring. :P
Yeah, the first time I noticed this is when I played Slap Fight on PCB for the first time at Joe's place a few months ago; his shot is on his B button, if you want to call it that. Then I played it at Mikado last month or so and it was on A (with 30Hz auto on C, as well), and now mine is also on B. Wiring differences would definitely account for it.

Actually my audio seems a bit harsh as well, but maybe it's my speakers. Who knows what kind of (ab)use they've had... could be me going crazy, though.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I wouldn't worry too much about hitting that degauss button. Maybe don't have a laptop or other device sitting 6 inches from the coil just to be safe. Your PCB will be fine. Think about the fact that PC CRTs used to sit right on top of the computer and hard drive in many desktop setups and did an autodegauss every time they were switched on.

Now if you took a degaussing wand and waved it right next to an HDD for several seconds or minutes you could probably wipe it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Rastan78 wrote:Think about the fact that PC CRTs used to sit right on top of the computer and hard drive in many desktop setups and did an autodegauss every time they were switched on.
I really miss those old Macs that were like that... those things were cool.

Anyway, I'll figure it out tomorrow; I'm completely exhausted today, so I'm probably going to go to sleep now and figure it out tomorrow morning before I have to go to work. Now watch the next M2 collection include Slap Fight... I constantly searched everywhere for this game for about 4 months, and there were multiple times when I almost bought Teki-Paki, Hishouzame, or Kyuukyoku Tiger instead, but I'm glad I waited and managed to find Slap Fight. I can still play those other games on PS4/Switch anyway, but I have a feeling it will be a long time before M2 Slap Fight gets released.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Rastan78 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about hitting that degauss button. Maybe don't have a laptop or other device sitting 6 inches from the coil just to be safe.
I had my phone in my left hand, about 2-3 inches away, when I accidently hit the degauss button on my PVM while trying to access the service mode. It crashed my phone. Completely unresponsive, thankfully the power button still worked so I was able to restart it. So yeah, I would also recommend keeping modern portable devices far away.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Fortunately my computer is in another room and that's all I really have, but I think I'll take off my watch just to be safe, although I doubt that will really affect it in any way. I actually really do need to degauss my Trinitron, as well, now that I think about it... it's got a fairly large patch, about twice the size of my fist from top to bottom, in the upper left that turns yellow whenever it's supposed to be red.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, I have a few happy updates and a maybe not so great one:

First, I got my Astro all set up and I played the shit out of Slap Fight. Why is this game so good? Well, no more playing this thing on MAME or going to Mikado; it's here and it's staying forever. You can never beat playing on PCB on an arcade monitor.

Second, I got to play Dash Yarou and Ghox yesterday. If you haven't played Dash Yarou, you should definitely check it out because it instantly became one of my favourite Toaplan games and now I'm super excited to get this on Switch/PS4 (and Embracer guys, uh... please consider getting this out on PC if you can! Will insta-buy!!!). Assuming this is going chronologically, Dash Yarou might actually end up coming in the next collection. They already broke chronological order with Slap Fight and Performan, though, so who knows what we will get next.

Ghox is... interesting. I don't really care for the second half of the game, if I am being honest. I have absolutely no idea if or how M2 would release this, as it has a somewhat special controller, much like Enma Daiou does, although in this case it's something of a custom spinner controller, and no, a regular spinner will not work with Ghox.

Now the not so great news: I'm not sure if I actually will be able to do those M2 translations. The reason is that the Embracer guys are here. Embracer guys, I know it's not your fault or anything, but if you are legally obligated to stop me from posting these, yeah. That + you guys would likely then have to tell M2, Yuge-san, and Uemura-san that some dude is posting the translations, and if Uemura-san figures out it's me, as I don't exactly hide my name here and he knows exactly who I am, and he doesn't like it, yeah. Can't allow that to happen for various reasons. Sorry to have to potentially back out on those translations, but that's unfortunately how it is.
BIL

Post by BIL »

No worries bud, totally understandable and thanks for the transparency. :smile: We've been waiting some four years for that translated interview with Compile's Moo Niitani, no idea what happened there. Some suggest Aggro forgot to record it. :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote:Embracer guys, I know it's not your fault or anything, but if you are legally obligated to stop me from posting these, yeah. That + you guys would likely then have to tell M2, Yuge-san, and Uemura-san that some dude is posting the translations, and if Uemura-san figures out it's me, as I don't exactly hide my name here and he knows exactly who I am, and he doesn't like it, yeah. Can't allow that to happen for various reasons. Sorry to have to potentially back out on those translations, but that's unfortunately how it is.
I'd just write and ask Manualmartin directly instead of taking it in a public post, it might not be as legally heavy as you are expecting. And at very least, if you occasionally talk to Uemura, why not just ask him outright? I'm sure he'd be delighted to know foreigners are interested in the content, and if he doesn't like it being posted for free online, maybe another solution could be worked out. Maybe as bonus material for the ongoing documentary project?

Shmuplations has been running for years with no legal issues, but of course it's also riding on the "it's not criminal as long as no one cares about pressing charges" approach.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:
Steven wrote:Embracer guys, I know it's not your fault or anything, but if you are legally obligated to stop me from posting these, yeah. That + you guys would likely then have to tell M2, Yuge-san, and Uemura-san that some dude is posting the translations, and if Uemura-san figures out it's me, as I don't exactly hide my name here and he knows exactly who I am, and he doesn't like it, yeah. Can't allow that to happen for various reasons. Sorry to have to potentially back out on those translations, but that's unfortunately how it is.
I'd just write and ask Manualmartin directly instead of taking it in a public post, it might not be as legally heavy as you are expecting. And at very least, if you occasionally talk to Uemura, why not just ask him outright? I'm sure he'd be delighted to know foreigners are interested in the content, and if he doesn't like it being posted for free online, maybe another solution could be worked out. Maybe as bonus material for the ongoing documentary project?

Shmuplations has been running for years with no legal issues, but of course it's also riding on the "it's not criminal as long as no one cares about pressing charges" approach.
You actually just gave me an even better idea that will solve everything: the Embracer guys were looking to include some documentation or something like that in the PC releases of the Toaplan games, right? If they can talk to M2 and get that stuff officially included in the PC versions, no problems! Hell, I'll translate that stuff myself for free, but they can hire a professional translator who should be able to do a way better job than I can.

Martin, Carl-Henrik, if you can get that stuff in the PC releases, that would be amazing and fortunately 100% legal.

To be 100% completely honest, I'm somewhere between insider and outsider at this point, so I kind of have to be careful about the stuff I say and do. I can't afford to do something that might end up with having Uemura-san and/or Yuge-san (who I have not formally met aside from an extremely brief introduction) or anyone else hate me, so I think it's best if I back off. While I definitely want to see more Toaplan info in English because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Toaplan, I'm no longer in the best position to do that in an unofficial capacity, but I can't really do it in an official capacity, either. I can't really say any more at this point, unfortunately.
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

Steven wrote: Martin, Carl-Henrik, if you can get that stuff in the PC releases, that would be amazing and fortunately 100% legal.
Documenting Toaplan stuff without asking any questions first? I think I'm plenty guilty of that when I created http://www.toaplan.org/ ;) (I've handed off the site since then)
I'd be interested in adding anything to the PC versions that is of interest but will need permission from the creators and approval to include it.
I don't think anyone is looking to prohibit anyone from translating articles and posting, the original authors/publication are the ones that would have an issue with that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Carl-Henrik wrote:
Steven wrote: Martin, Carl-Henrik, if you can get that stuff in the PC releases, that would be amazing and fortunately 100% legal.
Documenting Toaplan stuff without asking any questions first? I think I'm plenty guilty of that when I created http://www.toaplan.org/ ;) (I've handed off the site since then)
I'd be interested in adding anything to the PC versions that is of interest but will need permission from the creators and approval to include it.
I don't think anyone is looking to prohibit anyone from translating articles and posting, the original authors/publication are the ones that would have an issue with that.
lol yeah, I forgot about the Shark emulator and stuff.

Sumez is right about discussing this privately instead of here, but yeah, I'd rather not take any risks. If you guys can talk to M2, that would be really cool. In any case, I'm going to PM you because I think I might be able help you out somewhat indirectly with some stuff for those PC releases.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sumez wrote:But if there's actually a JAMMA version of Slap Fight, it's gotta be early enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the designers didn't consider which button does what, it's just pins on an edge connector after all. Which feature ends up on which button is all down to your CP wiring. :P
For Sumez,

Slap Fight was released as a jamma pcb under a different name, Alcon, for the USA arcade market. I bought one and later sold it -- cool old-school arcade stg pcb nevertheless.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

The M2 versions will somehow come to the west, it's just slow. I'm not sure best route here, and where they are in localization already.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Manualmartin wrote:The M2 versions will somehow come to the west, it's just slow. I'm not sure best route here, and where they are in localization already.
Hoping so. We haven't had any M2 ShotTriggers releases in the west since 2020.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Manualmartin wrote:The M2 versions will somehow come to the west, it's just slow. I'm not sure best route here, and where they are in localization already.
Uh... that's interesting. It's about time people outside of Japan got the ShotTriggers releases again. I was thinking you guys were the only hope for Toaplan rereleases on modern systems for those not in Japan, so that's nice to see, but I'd much rather play on PC or PCB than on consoles, so I'm still really looking forward to the PC releases. Still love those M2 versions, though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Exact opposite to me here, PC releases mean nothing, but every console release is a win.
Hoping we're talking more accessible releases here, and not another LRG distribution. Given Embracer are Swedish I guess there's at least some hope for that.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Sumez wrote:Exact opposite to me here, PC releases mean nothing, but every console release is a win.
Hoping we're talking more accessible releases here, and not another LRG distribution. Given Embracer are Swedish I guess there's at least some hope for that.
Why not both so everyone can be happy?

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Obviously both is best! I just don't care about PC releases personally. My PC is for spreadsheets, porn, and 280 open Chrome tabs I mean to get back to some day
drauch

Post by drauch »

Sumez wrote:My PC is for spreadsheets, porn, and 280 open Chrome tabs I mean to get back to some day
That's literally what mine looks like at all times, too. Said spreadsheets are for documenting porn because I need it all just like the tabs.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Daytona 3 arcade is streaming high level gameplay of V-V right now. Is it Koizumi playing?

https://www.twitch.tv/warabi_daytona3
SPM

Post by SPM »

Oh I just joined the stream and the player was milking the 5th boss using all 6 bombs. I'd never seen that before, cool! :mrgreen:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

I read a review of the Switch version of the Same collection saying that switching to the 2P ship is harder to do than in the PS4 version, what exactly does that involve? Thinking about getting the PS4 version instead if that hasn't been fixed.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Now that Genesis/MD mini 2 is out in the wild, any word on next actual shmup collection update?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

XtraSmiley wrote:Now that Genesis/MD mini 2 is out in the wild, any word on next actual shmup collection update?
I heard it was supposed to be Truxton. I really hope it is, as I haven't been interested in any of these Toaplan collections, thus far.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Does anyone know if there are significant differences between the regional variants of Wardner (arcade)?

Was playing the JP arcade version last night on the PS4 Shark compilation and it made me a bit curious. Not sure if I'm missing anything by not spending some time with the US/Euro versions.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Time limit in Pyros is really strict.