M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cave hermit

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by cave hermit »

Tarma wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:
Tarma wrote:Question - how do you get the in-pack dlc code to work? I redeemed it on the PlayStation store and it's done nothing, so all the "bonus" content is still locked. What am I doing wrong? :?
Did you redeem it on a Japanese account? It won't work otherwise. The DLC should automatically download and be added to the base game, while Teki Paki will show up as a separate download.
Sure did - the code isn't valid outside the Jpn store. I'll have another look later, but at first glance it's done nothing. Haven't tried the Teki Paki code yet.
Are you trying to actually play on your american account? If so, did you make sure your japanese account has your console set as primary?
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

cave hermit wrote:
Are you trying to actually play on your american account? If so, did you make sure your japanese account has your console set as primary?
No, I was using my Jap PSN account and it wasn't coming up for some reason.

Anyhoo, I'm happy to report that it's working fine now, and all the dlc is unlocked - why it didn't do it straight away I don't know, but when I switched my PS4 on last night it was fine. :roll:

Thanks for the help and advice, guess it was just some kind of glitch :)
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Jeneki wrote:The easy modes for Kyokyuko and Tiger Heli do a big change: they increase your movement speed.
In Tiger Heli you can also seal bullets in that mode, something that does not exist at all in arcade.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

OmegaFlareX wrote:In Tiger Heli you can also seal bullets in that mode, something that does not exist at all in arcade.
Oh I did notice something like that, but I thought the mini-heli was absorbing bullets. Thanks for bringing this up. (Although I'm going back to the regular arcade modes after trying everything else)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Have a look at the custom mode options, there's all sorts of stuff you can toggle - speed, hitbox, sealing range, autobombing. Super easy is very easy, but head to custom and create your own arrange mode!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Can anyone explain how to get the below trophy (PS4 version)?

"Safe Zone - In Kyukyoku Tiger Stage 10 boss fight, position yourself inside an area safe from all boss attacks. (Arcade Challenge excluded; Continues / Quick Load allowed.)"

I am aware of the safe spot at the bottom/center of the screen (as shown in CHI's video discussed at viewtopic.php?p=1132028

Despite using that (with good ol' spread blue shot), I can't seem to get this trophy to trigger in Arcade mode. Made a save state shortly before the boss and have tried lots of times now, still no luck. What am I doing wrong??? Do I need to be sitting completely still before even getting the boss on screen? Wait a certain amount of time? Is there a different safe spot they're looking for? Something else? This one making me scratch my head, and it's the final trophy I need for platinum so becoming a little annoying ;)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Mark MSX has a review up claiming M2 dropped the ball on adjusting the autofire rate and you have to set it via a controller if you want 15hz.

At around 4:45
https://youtu.be/I3ihqdtU__k

Just to be clear, bc it is a little confusing, the button you want to have adjustable autofire on has to be a regular shot button. It can't be the default auto button that is locked to only 30hz.

If you look at the default 30hz button on the input display gadget you can see it doesn't fire a steady 30hz shot. It seems to be firing at a constantly readjusting rate. It may be some sort of hack to avoid issues with normal 30hz like having it drop out during slowdown. Look at the normal shot button toggled to 30hz and you will see an absolutely steady stream of 30hz presses just like an external autofire device would work.

I disagree with his account of this port being disappointing by M2 standards. His arguments are the lack of autofire options (incorrect) and the lack of arrange mode and alternate BGM. But he also says he wishes they would get to more Toaplan games quickly. That's a can't have your cake and eat it too situation. IMO since they already announced Same! Collection for Spring 2022 they've struck a good balance here. I'd assume extra BGM, and especially Arrange modes for every game would push these releases back quite a ways.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

hamfighterx wrote:Can anyone explain how to get the below trophy (PS4 version)?

"Safe Zone - In Kyukyoku Tiger Stage 10 boss fight, position yourself inside an area safe from all boss attacks. (Arcade Challenge excluded; Continues / Quick Load allowed.)"

I am aware of the safe spot at the bottom/center of the screen (as shown in CHI's video discussed at viewtopic.php?p=1132028

Despite using that (with good ol' spread blue shot), I can't seem to get this trophy to trigger in Arcade mode. Made a save state shortly before the boss and have tried lots of times now, still no luck. What am I doing wrong??? Do I need to be sitting completely still before even getting the boss on screen? Wait a certain amount of time? Is there a different safe spot they're looking for? Something else? This one making me scratch my head, and it's the final trophy I need for platinum so becoming a little annoying ;)
i got it by sitting at the save spot for a few seconds. Maybe try not shooting? There is a silhouette that can help you find the spot. I think i got it by tracking the trophy on PS5. It was my first time using that feature so it could be that or not. I was surprised when i saw it. I earned it in Arcade mode.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Rastan78 wrote:Mark MSX has a review up claiming M2 dropped the ball on adjusting the autofire rate and you have to set it via a controller if you want 15hz.

At around 4:45
https://youtu.be/I3ihqdtU__k

Just to be clear, bc it is a little confusing, the button you want to have adjustable autofire on has to be a regular shot button. It can't be the default auto button that is locked to only 30hz.

If you look at the default 30hz button on the input display gadget you can see it doesn't fire a steady 30hz shot. It seems to be firing at a constantly readjusting rate. It may be some sort of hack to avoid issues with normal 30hz like having it drop out during slowdown. Look at the normal shot button toggled to 30hz and you will see an absolutely steady stream of 30hz presses just like an external autofire device would work.

I disagree with his account of this port being disappointing by M2 standards. His arguments are the lack of autofire options (incorrect) and the lack of arrange mode and alternate BGM. But he also says he wishes they would get to more Toaplan games quickly. That's a can't have your cake and eat it too situation. IMO since they already announced Same! Collection for Spring 2022 they've struck a good balance here. I'd assume extra BGM, and especially Arrange modes for every game would push these releases back quite a ways.
Also I mean... there's no Arrange but there's several other games on there... which is way better.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Buffi wrote:Also I mean... there's no Arrange but there's several other games on there... which is way better.
He mentioned he didn’t go for the complete collection with the ports, so he didn’t even touch those other games. Makes sense for him though because he’s just not a fan of these older titles which he made clear in his review. To be fair, he did ultimately recommend the collection if you are interested in these games. So nothing surprising. No one who only plays bullet hells is going to be picking this up, which is perfectly okay.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

subcons wrote:
Buffi wrote:Also I mean... there's no Arrange but there's several other games on there... which is way better.
He mentioned he didn’t go for the complete collection with the ports, so he didn’t even touch those other games. Makes sense for him though because he’s just not a fan of these older titles which he made clear in his review. To be fair, he did ultimately recommend the collection if you are interested in these games. So nothing surprising. No one who only plays bullet hells is going to be picking this up, which is perfectly okay.
Totally agree there. Only fans of this style are gonna be into this. But also IMO he let his bias color his opinion of the actual package. He did say even if you're a big fan of these games the usual A+ standard of M2 isn't here and it's more of a B grade port job.

He actually used the phrase phoned in.

Then he follows that up with inaccurate info, hardly mentions the other games included. Would be better labeled as first impressions than "in depth" review.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I primarily play bullet hell games, but I'm always interested in collections or ports like this to preserve and collect the history of my favorite genre. I grew up with a Tiger Heli machine at a local market, and while it's not something that holds up today against the depth of later shmups it's still very near-sighted to disregard its importance as a building block of the evolution of these types of games.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

With the next collection being Flying Shark and Same3, I wonder if they'll fit Daisenpuu on there. Then we'd have Toaplan helicopter edition, and Toaplan propeller plane edition. :D
subcons

Post by subcons »

Rastan78 wrote:Would be better labeled as first impressions than "in depth" review.
No disagreement there. I honestly took it as such and knew it would be the case with this collection for Mark before he even posted it. I think he has a ton of interesting stuff to say about the genre, but I’m aware of his bias when it comes to most stuff that isn’t bullet hell. I expect Shmup Junkie’s review for this release to be properly thorough and am looking forward to it.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Jeneki wrote:With the next collection being Flying Shark and Same3, I wonder if they'll fit Daisenpuu on there. Then we'd have Toaplan helicopter edition, and Toaplan propeller plane edition. :D
It would make sense if Daisenpuu was packed with Flying Shark and Fire Shark... what else would they pack it with? It certainly would look odd packed in with Truxton or Out Zone...

Really looking forward to the Flying Shark pack... two of my favourite Toaplan games right there :D
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Tarma wrote:It would make sense if Daisenpuu was packed with Flying Shark and Fire Shark... what else would they pack it with? It certainly would look odd packed in with Truxton or Out Zone...
Given that they included Get Star, of all things, with Kyukoku Tiger Heli, I would advise to expect the unexpected. Such as, oh I don't know... Rally Bike? It really could be anything.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm putting my money on Wardner for the non-shooter title. It's a much more notable title than GetStar, but it has a similar proximity to Flying Shark. Snow Bros. is too popular to just get thrown in there, and it has both a sequel and several interesting home ports, which honestly makes it worthy of its own standalone release.
I agree though, that not including Daisenpuu would kinda orphan it. I doubt it'd be able to headline its own collection and still sell well. A logical collection would be both shark/same games + daisenpuu, with wardner as a bonus.

Of course it's also possible they'll just bundle a huge number of the less notable Toaplan shooters together in the future. Stand-alone releases for Tatsujins, Batsugun, and Fixeight+Outzone should be a given.
heli

Post by heli »

No, all those ROMS fit easy on the Tiger Heli bluray.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Jeneki wrote:With the next collection being Flying Shark and Same3, I wonder if they'll fit Daisenpuu on there. Then we'd have Toaplan helicopter edition, and Toaplan propeller plane edition. :D

It and Vimana are the obvious odd ones out when it comes to pairing up titles - the rest go fairly naturally:

Truxton/Truxton II
Zero Wing/Hellfire
Outzone/Fixeight
Slap Fight/V-V
Dogyuun/Batsugun

Makes sense to bundle it with the Sharks, I'd assume they're leaving out all the home computer Flying Shark ports - so reasonable space for it
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'm with you on Wardner being a pretty safe bet. Also it came a few years earlier than Snow Bros IIRC. They seem to be going with a very loose chronological order.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes someone to clear Same! Same! Same! on the new version. One thing that's cool about these versions is its so easy to verify that clears and scores are legit by the leaderboards. The legendary hard Toaplan clears have really seemed to bring out the cheated or at least suspect runs over the years. I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to get a fake run uploaded on the newer M2 leaderboards. They do allow for pausing, but that doesn't seem to be too big a deal. They always have that timed delay in unpausing which would make pause buffering to cheat a real pain.

How do you guys feel about pausing being allowed on leaderboards for marathon multiloop runs? Personally it doesn't bother me. Although I can imagine someone who livestreamed a marathon run nonstop could feel a bit cheated if another player did a better run in hour long chunks.

Then the gadgets are a whole different issue if you really want to compare scores to arcade. Maybe it would be cool if they added a special score attack mode without pausing or gadgets? If not a separate leaderboard a star or different color on your score maybe?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm pretty squarely against pausing any arcade game, a vein of games that are designed pretty much entirely around single session runs, and where endurance is often an aspect of it.
At the same time, I can't really get worked up about other people doing it. But I do think it's a weird thing to allow on an online leaderboard, since it really opens the floodgates for all kinds of exploits.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pausing's not arcade standard, but tbh, neither is playing in a cosy house, as opposed to a packed arcade where you're at risk of seeing plumber's cleavage, or any other number of misfortunes. :cool:

As long as the version is specified, I don't think it matters. Anyone bothered enough to distinguish themselves from Pause Plebes can just capture themselves on-camera, uploading it alongside the console capture. Make sure to have a copy of that day's newspaper! :o

Sometimes I theorise the most ridiculous yet plausible falsificare scheme... I'm thinking TASing up a run in GoofyMAME, or whatever the fuck (I don't understand any of this stuff), then routing it to a monitor purportedly running a PCB/port, then gettin ur MIME on at the controls. I'm pretty sure at least a few speedrunners have been busted doing just this (Yoshi's Island dude was miming impossibly SHA-WEEET walljumps, Super Investigations Unit slowed down teh frames and proved he was just jacking off the pad, NOT playing 4 real :shock:).

At least with M2's "Ready?" prompt, cheating shitbirds will have a miserable time getting their VixyNyan on. :mrgreen:
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I've gotten used to no pausing from Hamster's releases.

Buy yeah, pausing is for when someone joins in coop and you need to wait for them to leave.

"Rank level up, bitch!"
Last edited by Jeneki on Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If you want to get your mime on during that spliced up run make sure to have a coke and a pizza handy.

https://youtu.be/OWn0XgBJuLI
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote:"Rank level up, bitch!"
Saboten Bombers! Cats know quality. :cool:

Rastan78 wrote:If you want to get your mime on during that spliced up run make sure to have a coke and a pizza handy.

https://youtu.be/OWn0XgBJuLI
First-rate dark comedy that the legit runners have idiots accusing them of ripping off Big Mime Co. Ltd. :lol:
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Oddly enough that extra digit in the M2 gadget for Tiger Heli is unused, even that still counterstops at 9,999,990.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

ZPScissors wrote:Oddly enough that extra digit in the M2 gadget for Tiger Heli is unused, even that still counterstops at 9,999,990.
Jeez, where are you not going to go and brag about your score??....

Totally kidding, it was awesome, saw it first on Twitter and then over on the high score thread. Great job man!

Weird about the digit though.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Augemitbutter wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:Can anyone explain how to get the below trophy (PS4 version)?

i got it by sitting at the save spot for a few seconds. Maybe try not shooting? There is a silhouette that can help you find the spot. I think i got it by tracking the trophy on PS5. It was my first time using that feature so it could be that or not. I was surprised when i saw it. I earned it in Arcade mode.
First, thanks for the advice!

And to follow up on this in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future, I thiiiink that what Augemitbutter said about the silhouette meant the picture that is associated with the trophy. Unfortunately, I couldn't see that until actually unlocking the trophy - but the image on some of the trophy tracker sites helped. See below (or if the link breaks, I got it from https://www.exophase.com/trophy/kyukyok ... safe-zone/)

I was just parked in a slightly wrong spot. It's a little harder to notice if using the blue spread shot, since with that weapon you can easily take out all of the tanks that come in from the left/right sides before they shoot you. But if you hover in just the right spot to the right hand side of the darker area in the center/bottom panel, you also avoid all tank fire and tanks colliding with you as they come through. I triggered the trophy on Arcade mode, it pops up during the fight after sitting in the correct spot for a couple seconds.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Apparently that safe spot can be abused by using the yellow shot type to infinitely milk the boss. Some interesting info from Gemant's epic Gameat/Arcadia score list. (Autotranslated from the Italian below) 30 hrs to legit counterstop the game!? Holy shit.
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yellow is vindicated at last. :cool: :lol: