M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
it290

M2 Toaplan collection

Post by it290 »

So this was announced quite a while ago and now we have the Aleste collection on the way, but has anyone heard anything about the Toaplan games? Hoping someone has some obscure source that hasn't surfaced in my searches so far...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
hamfighterx

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by hamfighterx »

M2 is doing an hour and a half livestream on December 24, where it appears likely they'll talk about upcoming releases.

Famitsu article includes a schedule that lists (translated):
21:00 to 21:30 M2 Shot Triggers, next year's aspirations and plans
heli

Post by heli »

I waited all year for a press-conference ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sorry to say, my enthusiasm has waned.
Spoiler
LOL J/K
FUCK THAT SHIT
I GOTS THE PATIENCE ON A MONUMENT MOTHERFUCKER

hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

heli wrote:I waited all year for a press-conference ?
There's only so much a small company like M2 can do at once?

They have typically only done one ShotTriggers release per year, 2017 being the only exception so far:
2016 (December): Battle Garegga
2017 (April): Dangun Feveron
2017 (November): Mahou Daisakusen
2018 (November): Ketsui
2019 (December): Esp.ra.de
2020 (December): Aleste Collection

And in addition to ShotTriggers stuff, don't forget that in the time since they announced the Toaplan games (December 2019) they've been working on Aleste Branch, G Darius HD, wrapping up several of the Switch Sega Ages titles, finishing up the PC Engine Mini. And they developed an entirely new Game Gear game for the Aleste collection. And they're making a new arcade shooter (Senjin?) for Sega's new ALL.Net platform.

That being said, wouldn't surprise me to see 2021 with multiple ShotTriggers releases. A Toaplan compilation seems like a given, hopefully earlier in the year. And then maybe follow it up with... a compilation of the Data East shooters they announced as coming to ShotTriggers back in September? Batrider?
Acid

Post by Acid »

That is an awesome list of upcoming titles. I won't lie; the Aleste collection is probably the one thing they have cooking I'm not planning on buying (though I'll give players and certain YouTube channels a chance to change my mind), but M2 has been the best thing about this generation of gaming. While I have been looking forward to their Toaplan ports for most of the year, M2 has earned my patience.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote:And in addition to ShotTriggers stuff, don't forget that in the time since they announced the Toaplan games (December 2019) they've been working on Aleste Branch, G Darius HD, wrapping up several of the Switch Sega Ages titles, finishing up the PC Engine Mini. And they developed an entirely new Game Gear game for the Aleste collection. And they're making a new arcade shooter (Senjin?) for Sega's new ALL.Net platform.
I could easily be mistaken, but I think Ninja Soldier is still somewhere on the back burner, too. That Ninja Emaki look is comin' back!

^^^ You god damn right Image Image
hamfighterx wrote:That being said, wouldn't surprise me to see 2021 with multiple ShotTriggers releases. A Toaplan compilation seems like a given, hopefully earlier in the year. And then maybe follow it up with... a compilation of the Data East shooters they announced as coming to ShotTriggers back in September? Batrider?
I'm almost as hyped for DECO stuff as I am Toaplan's, tbh. Helluva potential there. Rohga. Chelnov. Thunder Zone Image

^^^ PEAK PERFORMANCE
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

It looks like the press conference took place a few hours ago. Hopefully there's some worthwhile updates in there on the Toaplan games.

https://youtu.be/yVqyOck9zuc
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

I can't speak Japanese, but from the looks of that Youtube video they mainly talked about the Aleste collection that's coming out... there was a brief preview of Tiger Heli running toward the end (with the side bars blurred out for some reason), but nothing more on the Toaplan stuff. If someone could translate what they say over the top of this segment that'd be great. :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Tarma wrote:(with the side bars blurred out for some reason)
Probably anti-theft measures to protect them cutting-edge M2 Gadgetz :mrgreen: Wonderful to hear it's been sighted in action. Even though I'm mostly looking forward to Out Zone and Tatsujin Ou, showcasing Tiger Heli sounds like a good omen with it being Toaplan's debut STG. Hoping they'll do a systematic clean sweep of the catalogue. Day 1 bro!
Last edited by BIL on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Do you have any idea what could happen if those gadgets fell into the wrong hands!?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Tarma wrote:there was a brief preview of Tiger Heli running toward the end (with the side bars blurred out for some reason), but nothing more on the Toaplan stuff.
This is incorrect, they showed Kyukyoku Tiger.

https://youtu.be/yVqyOck9zuc?t=5083
BIL

Post by BIL »

The most popular, that's even better. :lol:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'm curious to see what route they take with these. I'm sure whatever they do will be great, but I'd kinda like to see them released as a semi budget collection, maybe in multiple volumes. If they go down the road of doing individual shot triggers style releases for every Toaplan game it might end up taking yeeeeaarsss for these to all drop. Especially if they also go down the road of doing all the merchandise and so forth for every game. Long before any of these Toaplan games actually come out, the upcoming ACA release of Raiden will probably be in our laps. Who knows, we could have the whole Raiden series by then?

As much as I love M2 and their attention to detail, right now I'm a little more excited by what Hamster is doing with their quick pace of no nonsense releases. Even as they keep the quality improving and continue to patch older games they stick to the 7.99 price point. The accessibility of having them immediately available with English menus on the NA digital storefronts is great. As much as I want G Darius HD, the high price tag along with having to import, order Japan eshop yen cards, or wait a year for it to get localized (maybe) is kind of a downer. After all it's a game I bought for probably 15 bucks in a bargain bin for PSX 20 years ago. I can't afford every release (wish I could and would be happy to support every M2 release on principle) and don't have time to learn to play many shmups, so right now it looks like Gradius III ACA is about to seriously cock block G Darius.

I think M2 could also do with waiting and announcing stuff just a wee bit closer to an actual release date. The Castlevania and Contra collections were announced pretty close to release IIRC and were pretty hype as a result.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Tarma wrote:there was a brief preview of Tiger Heli running toward the end (with the side bars blurred out for some reason), but nothing more on the Toaplan stuff.
This is incorrect, they showed Kyukyoku Tiger.

https://youtu.be/yVqyOck9zuc?t=5083
Yes, sorry, I mean't Twin Cobra :?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That blurred out gadget seems to imply that Kyuukyoku Tiger has a global timer for determines when the weapon switches colors, even when a powerup is not on screen! I never knew that.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That would explain those awful Russian roulette grabs, where you blow up a carrier, and it's got just the colour you want, but you KNOW it's gonna change at the last frame!

Then it turns out you actually could've grabbed it, and you end up dying waiting for to cycle around again. >;3

I wonder if they'll incorporate a Donburi Ramen display - the algorithm that separates tigers from housecats! If it feels the powerup is running away from you, UR DOIN IT WRONG :O

Hell just a big steaming bowl of ramen in the corner would be alright.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'm always amazed at good players who have steel nerves and just watch the bouncing powerup float inches away from their ship and still don't chase it. Even if its the right color. I see the right color and I'm instantly breaking my pattern to go on a mad dash to grab it like a half crazed leprechaun looking for lucky charms. It doesn't end well.

You want that gun don't you Zed? Go ahead. Pick it up.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Everybody loves the donburi pattern! By itself, it's pretty nice and consistent - an expanding right-angled spiral that ends with the item escaping horizontally - but combine its oscillating with assholic zako bending and diving and swooping, plus the fruity citrus colours (wow! Yellow sure looks tempt- Image), and shit happens!

Also seen in their swan song Batsugun ;-;7
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I'm hoping these come out individually and have save states.

Most of Toaplan's catalog I'm not too crazy about, but there's a handful that I'd definitely want.

I'd be down for a Batsugun/Batsugun Special combo pack with save states and leaderboards for like $20 or so.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Rastan78 wrote:I'm always amazed at good players who have steel nerves and just watch the bouncing powerup float inches away from their ship and still don't chase it. Even if its the right color. I see the right color and I'm instantly breaking my pattern to go on a mad dash to grab it like a half crazed leprechaun looking for lucky charms. It doesn't end well.

You want that gun don't you Zed? Go ahead. Pick it up.
lol... sounds like the same "tactics" I use...

Great game, one of my favourite Toaplan games - a day 1 for me, either on its own, or, hopefully, bundled with Tatsujin Oh and Dogyuun :D
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

So can someone summarize the stream? Any release date info?
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

- kyukyoku tiger is gonna have another field test, this time with gadgets. they have contacted the arcade HEY and are waiting for a response about the date for the field test
- Senjin: all stages done and they have recorded the character voices too - they are now at the fine-tuning phase. talking to platform holders regarding plans to show it to people (i think they mean a location test, rather than full release). They have pretty much finished work for implementing the game for APM3 hardware (the arcade platform in their initial announcement. but "talking with platform owners" suggests that they are thinking about releasing for different (arcade?) hardware too). they may be able to show something this spring, and they will announce more info another time
- aleste branch is 60%-70% done. they are speaking with platform owners about when to set the release date
- they are still working on Feveron Gakuen

- Another live stream around late January: talking about power strike II for sms (because it wasn't released in Japan, so they want to offer a closer look at it with one or more special guests); more info on toaplan, senjin, and other titles
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

EmperorIng wrote:That blurred out gadget seems to imply that Kyuukyoku Tiger has a global timer for determines when the weapon switches colors, even when a powerup is not on screen! I never knew that.
Can confirm that this is how it works.

Also this is relevant again

BIL

Post by BIL »

mojilove wrote:translation
Excellent, many thanks!
Acid

Post by Acid »

Acid wrote:I won't lie; the Aleste collection is probably the one thing they have cooking I'm not planning on buying
...And I bought it. Everybody seems to love it and GG Aleste 3 looks like it will be great. Power Strike II also, and the game gear art style has grown on me. That being said, I can't wait for OutZone, Truxton II, Batsugun, and Dogyuun. I'll take some Twin Cobra and Flying Shark too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good pickup. Image Compile stuff by its nature is usually good for a break from the tougher arcade fare that's (surprisingly) become this generation's bread and butter. Even their trickier games usually let you blind improv in a way AC stuff tends to punish. Getting ACA Gradius III and Aleste Collection on the same evening was surreal.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Can't wait for Truxton II! Loved the original on Genesis, and would have loved for the sequel to have been on a SEGA system after it.
badcp.info
Acid

Post by Acid »

BIL wrote:Compile stuff by its nature is usually good for a break from the tougher arcade fare that's (surprisingly) become this generation's bread and butter.
I don't know; the third level of the original Aleste wrecked me today. I might be better at bullet hells. I'm still having fun though.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

GG Aleste II is also really impressive for the hardware. During the brief time I had a Game Gear (one of the Majesco retreads) 20 years ago, it was one of two games I had for it and I was blown away how it more resembled something on the PC Engine than a portable SMS.