M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Rastan78 »

I was worried these might slip away, like their PS1/Saturn forebears did a short lifetime ago. What a relief! I'm glad to see them going with the ShotTriggers super-deluxe approach.
Yeah just when it seemed like all had gone quiet. Great news all the way. It's real. An epic Sharknado collection seems all but inevitable now.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Personally I love how much M2 puts into these. The accessibility alone, and amount of tweaking you can do to adjust them for pretty much any skill level, I think, could help bring more people to the genre. While I get the ACA releases for the games I like, I wish they had some more of what M2 does in them.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

sweet. Proper physical release means i'll be buying day one!
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Rastan78 wrote:Fuck's sake you guys are wet, soggy blankets. At least there's already a physical version announced so that's one less thing for people to bitch about.
Did an actual lol at this. This is an extremely whiney place, truth be told...
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Awesome news, look forward to picking up the physical PS4 copy :)

I just hope that the future releases aren't spaced out annually... I want me some Outzone and Tatsujin Oh!!

... And Flying Shark and Same Same Same :P
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ha, I actually bought a copy of Toaplan Shooting Battle for stupid money earlier this year. I deserve this being amazing and showing me once again how I've wasted my money.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

https://youtu.be/xhWUUblpDZA
WW2 Air Raid Siren

https://youtu.be/u95E__3TSN0
WW2 Submarine dive klaxon

https://youtu.be/jSpBwt4hFN8
Gomer Pyle Garsh, Shazam, Gollee, etc w/ Frank Sinatra cameo

https://youtu.be/dlPl8EcRtSo
Huey rotor start up and take off

EDIT identifiers and thank you to Rastan78 for the heads up
Last edited by Fingolfin on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Dude why is nobody talking about Get Star
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

Tiger heli? Really? Am I the only one that thinks this game didn't deserve the M2 treatment? A Hamster port would have been fine for it. Hard pass.
Marc

Post by Marc »

banjoted wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:Fuck's sake you guys are wet, soggy blankets. At least there's already a physical version announced so that's one less thing for people to bitch about.
Did an actual lol at this. This is an extremely whiney place, truth be told...
Nah, nobody whining here, just a bit of discussion over pricing. I'm a filthy casual, so the Capcom/Hamster approach suits me just fine, but I understand completely that for the more serious player, these ports are probably a godsend. End of the day, I'll end up picking them up because this really is a golden time for shooters at the moment, and I'd like to see the ports keep flowing. Hell, I'll buy two copies if it means I'm guaranteed Flying Shark down the line.
trap15 wrote:Dude why is nobody talking about Get Star
Never heard of that one before. Looks interesting.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Not very excited with this announcement as it imples we won't be seeing Tatsujin Ou, Batrider and others soon enough (if ever).

Sure - what the fucking hell is doing that in a SHOTTRIGGERS release?

More seriously - The game's cool, fun, and quite an achievement for its year. A must play in my book.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Not very excited with this announcement as it imples we won't be seeing Tatsujin Ou, Batrider and others soon enough (if ever).

Sure - what the fucking hell is doing that in a SHOTTRIGGERS release?

More seriously - The game's cool, fun, and quite an achievement for its year. A must play in my book.
That is a worry actually. The amount of time this has been bubbling, I'd expected them to announce a raft of games, but if they're giving them the full treatment I guess there could be significant gaps between releases.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

ATTRACTS wrote: Incorrect. M2 are the best and they are doing what they can to keep the genre going. You have a console with (in the last 6-7 years), the worst Japanese/shmup support.
If gamers were smart they'd adopt the platforms that give them a better ecosystem and have a better chance of bringing your purchases forward with you.

Supporting this genre feels like kicking yourself in the nuts as the best of times, Availability is getting worse not better.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Astro City II wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote: Incorrect. M2 are the best and they are doing what they can to keep the genre going. You have a console with (in the last 6-7 years), the worst Japanese/shmup support.
If gamers were smart they'd adopt the platforms that give them a better ecosystem and have a better chance of bringing your purchases forward with you.

Supporting this genre feels like kicking yourself in the nuts as the best of times, Availability is getting worse not better.
Eh? Shooters have never been as plentiful and easily available as they are now. As long as you own one of the two consoles that sell in Japan! They'd be pissing money up the wall trying to bring these to Xbox.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Astro City II wrote:
Right, and for shmups, the XBOX is not it and hasn't been since the 360.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Don't make me pull out my PCB.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I've been playing Kyukyoku Tiger in some form or another regularly for 20 years. This game fucking rules and is so deserving of the M2 treatment.

Bring on the Same! Same! Same! collection!
heli

Post by heli »

Kyukyoku Tiger II is looking better,
i did not know that game existed.
Still waiting for batsugun.

Maybe they release all in one ?
i want Kyukyoku Tiger II and Batsugun on 1 disc please M2.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Has anyone come across word that they're including any of the Twin Cobra arranged soundtracks that have appeared here and there over the years?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Is Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra a particularly good Toaplan title? I played a bit of it just now and I really enjoyed it, but it doesn't seem that different from the other Toaplan shooting games.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Archetypal middle-of-the-road Toaplan vert. It's a good way to get bigger guns than Hishouzame, without getting into the harsher difficulty of Same Same Same's original 1P version (just like KT/Twin Cobra, the overseas/2P variants of SSS/Fire Shark are easier).

It was a huge hit for them, so while I'd have gone with either Hishouzame (no decent home version ever, and massive legacy) or Out Zone (similarly unsupported on console, a killer Commando-styled run/gun massacre), I'm not surprised to see it get premiere status, just like it did back on PS1. Here's hoping there'll be more than just one volume this time around! At least we know via Tatsujin Corp that Uemura has his papers in order these days.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

cave hermit wrote:Is Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra a particularly good Toaplan title? I played a bit of it just now and I really enjoyed it, but it doesn't seem that different from the other Toaplan shooting games.
It was good/popular enough in arcades to receive ports to 3 different consoles plus the C64. And later, the X68k, FMTowns, and PS1. Hishouzame was a great leap forward in shmup design, but KT/TC perfected the formula and it has been in use ever since. For its time, it was simple and fun to play. My only gripe with it is that the stages are somewhat indistinguishable and there are 10 of them. Give me various screenshots from throughout a loop and I would have a hard time naming the stages they're from. Same³ did a better job with that.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

heli wrote:Kyukyoku Tiger II is looking better,
i did not know that game existed.
Still waiting for batsugun.

Maybe they release all in one ?
i want Kyukyoku Tiger II and Batsugun on 1 disc please M2.
Kyukyoku Tiger II is a Takumi game, not a Toaplan game.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

K. Tiger 2's was never a hit, was it? Even with a Saturn port (which likely sold around 4k). How's the arcade game?
Domino

Post by Domino »

No Raiden series without Kyukyoku Tiger.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

BIL wrote:Archetypal middle-of-the-road Toaplan vert. It's a good way to get bigger guns than Hishouzame, without getting into the harsher difficulty of Same Same Same's original 1P version (just like KT/Twin Cobra, the overseas/2P variants of SSS/Fire Shark are easier).

It was a huge hit for them, so while I'd have gone with either Hishouzame (no decent home version ever, and massive legacy) or Out Zone (similarly unsupported on console, a killer Commando-styled run/gun massacre), I'm not surprised to see it get premiere status, just like it did back on PS1. Here's hoping there'll be more than just one volume this time around! At least we know via Tatsujin Corp that Uemura has his papers in order these days.
Hishouzame was the very first Toaplan game I played as a kid, when it was ported by Graftgold to the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. I think my parents bought it for me as a Christmas present back in '88... I still have it, but alas no Speccy to play it on.

Really looking forward to seeing the M2 version of this along with Same! Same! Same!... just hope it's not going to be another 12 months : /
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah, the Speccy version was pretty good fun back in the day, if a little tough on the eyes. Sucked on C64 though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've a real blind spot with C64 et al :oops: All respect to decent efforts on that front, I've seen some excellent ones like Ninja Spirit. As discussed in the Bad Devs thread, US Gold's blatantly money-grubbing Amiga stuff can do one. :lol: They're as bad as Micronics, possibly worse.

When I think of home Flying Shark versions, it's mostly Micronics' customarily anaemic NES one (didn't get FC release AFAIK, like a few others eg Thundercade... not missed at all), and VING's FM Towns effort, which while valiant and certainly not unplayable, suffers from The Phantom Crop. Unlike Toaplan's own reformatted MD ports, where the edge of the screen = edge of playfield, FMT Shark leaves the unseen world fully active. So you're constantly exchanging fire with enemies you can't see, feels all wrong.

I bet they'd have nailed it with a TATE mode - their Saturn Rayforce is a similar case in yoko, but more or less perfect in tate.
Domino wrote:No Raiden series without Kyukyoku Tiger.
Amusingly enough, since MD Tiger just *BONK* poleaxes the AC game into 4:3, while MD Raiden follows Toaplan's more conservative aspect ratio... Seibu's cart plays more like Tiger than the game's official port. :mrgreen: (I know MD Tiger's not for everyone, but holy fuck I love it, between the relentlessly bulldogging nose-to-nose pressure, the monstrously beefed-up BGM, and those palpably violent explosion SFX - one of the great serendipitous ports imo)
Domino

Post by Domino »

BIL wrote:
Domino wrote:No Raiden series without Kyukyoku Tiger.
Amusingly enough, since MD Tiger just *BONK* poleaxes the AC game into 4:3, while MD Raiden follows Toaplan's more conservative aspect ratio... Seibu's cart plays more like Tiger than the game's official port. :mrgreen: (I know MD Tiger's not for everyone, but holy fuck I love it, between the relentlessly bulldogging nose-to-nose pressure, the monstrously beefed-up BGM, and those palpably violent explosion SFX - one of the great serendipitous ports imo)
I didn't have issue with 4:3 MD Port of KT, my biggest issue of port is they broke a major rule of KT: If Heli is near a ground enemy, it doesn't shoot at you. That wasn't the case in the MD Port in any difficulty. Other than that, it is a great version that gotten me into STGs about 20 years ago.

Edit: Post 1337
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BIL wrote:When I think of home Flying Shark versions, it's mostly Micronics' customarily anaemic NES one (didn't get FC release AFAIK, like a few others eg Thundercade... not missed at all)
Micronics didn't do the NES Sky Shark port. It was Software Creations, and it's not half bad, IMO. The BGM is completely different and I prefer the original but the quality is good. Give the game a try (or another look if you already have) sometime.