M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:
jehu wrote:Here's to hoping it doesn't just die like Toaplan Shooting Collection back in the day.
You ever see that bit near the end of MGS4, where Snake is crawling down a microwave-scorched corridor, his chiseled ass cheeks literally on fire, before he finally reaches the "off" switch?

That's how I felt seeing Garage make it to Volume 2. :lol: Honestly I hope they continue, but just getting that bleedin' Hishouzame perfect port and Same3 1P for the bucket list - particularly after Volume 1 was all but identical to the PS1 disc WRT roster :shock: - felt like a cooling blast of CO2 to my burning buns. :lol:
I feel the same way, but don't forget GetStar and Teki Paki, which weren't in the PSX collection.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey, I'd misremembered Get Star coming with HishouSameSame. :o A lovely treat indeed, and as for Teki Paki, more like Teki Cracky :shock: Instantly-apparent why there was always someone on the cab at Toaplan's office, per Uemura.

Random EastPlan love - was tidying up some things in my Ninja Spirit ST, reminded of this :cool:

Thanks Toaplan!
Spoiler

Is there an earlier example of the bullet-sealing mechanic than Toaplan's games? I always get the feeling it originated with them. Partially because I'm so used to getting contact-shotted in earlier stuff. :lol:

I'm in ur base, CARRYIN AWAY UR BOOTY Image Image HEY WTF TAKE IT EASY FFS :shock:
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have been curious about bullet sealing as well. Slap Fight is the earliest game that I have played that has it.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'd like a two pack of Tatsujin and Tatsujin Ou to go, please. Don't forget the FM Towns version. You want an emulation challenge? There you go. lol
sherbaby

Post by sherbaby »

Hey all. This seems as good a place as any to report that a beta MiSTer core for Slap Fight arcade was just released, for those who've invested in that hardware.

Also I didn't see any mention in the thread of this slide from the M2 Xmas stream: https://twitter.com/BimboFortuna/status ... 4097056768
Good development

Announcement of the official title
As of today, there are some difficult circumstances, but the development itself is progressing very smoothly. Please look forward to the follow-up report!
Not to put too much stock in a Google Lens translation, but that wording about non-development related difficult circumstances feels like a veiled reference to the Embracer Group acquisition / PC releases etc...what other non-development difficulties could there be?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Well, there is:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:I've read that they indeed announced Vol. 3 being under development, they just chose not to give details for now.
I don't think that the Embracer thing has more to do with delaying any announcement than the still recent Astro City Mini V and Egret Mini releases as it has been said that the Tatsujin-M2 agreement isn't affected. Likely M2 is wondering if there's really place now for both, their ST versions and the minis specially when the Egret is fully working as a TV console with many game companies involved. The announced DOJ not being on any of the minis is not incidental, I'm sure.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Still no news about the Arcade Garage vol. 3 :(
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

I think the only news we really have is it’s happening
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Steven

Post by Steven »

Not really related to M2, but the Spy Bros Steam page now says it launches on the 14th, which is the same day as Bitwave Out Zone, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Zero Wing, and Tatsujin. Still a weird choice for a remake or whatever this is supposed to be. I hope it's going to be better than Snow Bros Special, which I didn't really like that much.
Marc

Post by Marc »

So we've had two collectoon in just under two years now, whereas the entire library will end up on PC over a few months? I hope the gadgets are worth it, I can see the condole stuff getting abandoned after another collection or two.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

You've got to figure that, Embracer or not, there's still a market for M2-quality PS4/Switch ports of some of these games. A Tatsujin/Ou 2-pack seems like a no brainer, as does Batsugun (hopefully paired with a first-ever console port of Dogyuun, if you ask me). Since we're looking at 16 shooters total, that would put M2 at halfway through Toaplan's catalog... at that point, I'm gonna be optimistic here and think they'll end up finishing it. But yeah, maybe there's some additional concern about the remaining games, and perhaps M2 would also reconsider the 2 games per release structure/pace.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Probably going to be a while before we get another Toaplan collection. Between the Rayz collection, DOJ, and I think Aleste Branch it doesn't seem like the Toaplan games are much of a priority.
cfx

Post by cfx »

hamfighterx wrote:You've got to figure that, Embracer or not, there's still a market for M2-quality PS4/Switch ports of some of these games. A Tatsujin/Ou 2-pack seems like a no brainer, as does Batsugun (hopefully paired with a first-ever console port of Dogyuun, if you ask me).
Totally. I avoid PC games in general.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Same, I work all day on the pc, I have a hard time gaming on it as well.
Steven

Post by Steven »

PC >>>>>>>>>> lol modern consoles. If the Bitwave releases are as good as they seem to be (and Sumez said they are, which is great!), I will probably never play the M2 releases ever again. I will still buy all of them, however.

Anyway, if anyone remembers when Taito Hey was location testing M2 Hishouzame Super Easy, Same! Same! Same!, and Wardner, they didn't actually put any of those games in the arcade. Instead, they got rid of Dogyuun!! and V-V and put in Batsugun Special and FixEight instead. They were actually using the custom mode on Same! and today I found the settings on M2's website

Use the default normal difficulty with these settings
ゲーム周回形式:1周END
オートボンバー:ON
ミス時パワーダウン緩和:一段階パワーダウン

This probably didn't do so well judging by the fact that they put Batsugun Special and FixEight in there instead (yes, they location tested those as well, and I did stop by to participate in the location tests for both of those), but I tried it with these settings and also ミス時スピードダウン緩和 set to 一段階スピードダウン and it's actually pretty playable like this. I game overed on the stage 9 boss, though, as I have absolutely no idea how you are supposed to recover on that and ended up losing like 10 lives in that one spot. I kind of like it like this. I wonder if Despatche can be convinced to make a Taito Hey Custom scoreboard, but I doubt that there is enough interest for it, and I haven't seen Despatche around for some time now.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Johnpv wrote:Same, I work all day on the pc, I have a hard time gaming on it as well.
This. I haven't had a PC set up for playing video games in well over a decade now.
I realise that there's much more stuff coming out for PC nowadays, and the experience has been a lot more streamlined, but I really just can't be bothered with it. There are still too many things to consider regarding a PC setup, and the Steam Deck is the closest thing I've seen to a PC setup I'd like to have, since it's (allegedly) an all-in-one plug n play package like a console. I'm not really interested in supporting Steam though. :P
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, Steam sucks. I wish we had more physical games on PC, but that's how it is. At least GOG is here, but both are unfortunately region locked.

In any case, I am officially declaring Taito Hey Custom Arrange™ to be a pretty cool way to play Same! Same! Same!, as I just 3 missed it with a little practice. Definitely try it if you find Super Easy to be too easy (it is) and want something more difficult but don't like the normal arcade mode. It still might be a little too easy, but I did game over a few times and it took me a few tries to clear it, unlike Super Easy, which I no missed on my first attempt.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote:PC >>>>>>>>>> lol modern consoles. If the Bitwave releases are as good as they seem to be (and Sumez said they are, which is great!), I will probably never play the M2 releases ever again. I will still buy all of them, however.

Anyway, if anyone remembers when Taito Hey was location testing M2 Hishouzame Super Easy, Same! Same! Same!, and Wardner, they didn't actually put any of those games in the arcade. Instead, they got rid of Dogyuun!! and V-V and put in Batsugun Special and FixEight instead. They were actually using the custom mode on Same! and today I found the settings on M2's website

Use the default normal difficulty with these settings
ゲーム周回形式:1周END
オートボンバー:ON
ミス時パワーダウン緩和:一段階パワーダウン

This probably didn't do so well judging by the fact that they put Batsugun Special and FixEight in there instead (yes, they location tested those as well, and I did stop by to participate in the location tests for both of those), but I tried it with these settings and also ミス時スピードダウン緩和 set to 一段階スピードダウン and it's actually pretty playable like this. I game overed on the stage 9 boss, though, as I have absolutely no idea how you are supposed to recover on that and ended up losing like 10 lives in that one spot. I kind of like it like this. I wonder if Despatche can be convinced to make a Taito Hey Custom scoreboard, but I doubt that there is enough interest for it, and I haven't seen Despatche around for some time now.
So what it does; translated:
Game lap format: 1 lap END
Auto Bomber: ON
Mitigation of power down at miss: One step power down

And: Mitigation of speed reduction at miss > set to one step speed reduction

This was actually pretty cool to know. It pains me that M2 didn't bother to translate the menus on Toaplan garage collections.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, only 1 loop + autobomb + power down 1 level when you die. I thought it was odd that they have your weapons power down only one level but still lose all of your speed, but it actually plays just fine that way. I did try it with the speed also decreasing by one level and it's pretty good like that as well, but maybe a bit too easy. Try it if you want a nice Same! 1P arrange mode, as this is about as good at it's going to get with the current custom mode options.

I tried it again on Switch just now with the Taito Hey settings, including the loss of all speed, and game overed against the stage 6 boss, so I think I'm pretty happy with the way it plays. I think I'm actually going to seriously play it this way for a little while, as the regular 1P arcade game is still way too hard for me.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

This Taito Hey settings sound great. I’m definitely going to try them out since super easy is literally super easy indeed.
Count me in as someone who also works at a computer station and can’t find any comfort, motivation or pleasure out of PC gaming.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It seems that setting the custom mode to 1 loop also gives you a ridiculous amount of points when you finish the loop on top of the 1 million points that the game gives you anyway; it gave me the regular 1 million and an additional 13 million points when my plane landed at the end. I was under the impression that the counter stops at 10 million EDIT: nope, it's 100 million, I think

so they definitely reprogrammed the game in order to do this. Good shit, M2.

Here's my final score when I finished Taito Hey Custom.
Spoiler
MJR

Post by MJR »

Well that was certainly easy in custom mode. I 1CC'd and no-missed the whole game in my first attempt. So I guess it was too easy for me.. But, curiously, my final score was only 4'104'090.. I wonder how the end bonus was calculated?
Steven

Post by Steven »

That's strange. It gave me a crazy amount of points, so I wonder what we did differently to cause this. I've only been able to clear it once; every other attempt has ended with a game over at either the stage 9 or stage 10 boss. More practice required.

I'll go watch my replay again once I get home and I can post it if you want to see it (only at 30 FPS in low quality, though, as I have nothing to record console footage with and have to rely on the PS4's horrible internal capture function), but I don't think I did anything special.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

https://twitter.com/m2_game/status/1621 ... ipv5iBxgRw

Looks like they’re announcing a new title …
Feb 10
Steven

Post by Steven »

Those are the Zero Wing and Hellfire ships. That artwork of Pipiru Seijin is actually from Tatsujin Ou, but he was created for Zero Wing.

Looks like Toyama Yuuichi is going to be there, too, so I think we can expect some Ray'z news, as well. Coincidentally, he also LOVES Zero Wing.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Good news, though - I won't lie - simultaneously a disappointment in the selection.

I enjoy Hellfire and Zero Wing, but I would have much rather seen just about any other possible collection. Even a Daisenpuu and Vimana bundle would have enticed me more... And, given that the longevity of this series always feels like it's under siege, I'd rather have them put out the more valuable stuff ASAP.

Toaplan horizontals just don't feel nearly as vital as their verts. And these games have pretty good ports as it is. I actually enjoy the Mega Drive versions of both Hellfire (with the bombs and the little helper) and Zero Wing (no screen flash) more than the Arcade.

I suspect having the hardware already emulated to standard helped divert their attention away from the two unreleased collections they initially promised (Tatsujin + Ou and Outzone + Fixeight).

Oh well. I am grateful the series is still alive. And maybe we'll get Horror Story as a nice accoutrement.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Zero Wing and Hellfire are at least objectively better games than Tatsujin Ou, so at least there is that. I am hoping that we get some super badass cover art for this one, especially since the creator of CATS is around to give us some new official CATS artwork.

I'm not sure what everyone really thinks of these games, but I think Hellfire is probably a little better than Zero Wing. It's kind of disappointing since the Mega Drive versions are probably the best versions of both of these games, and arcade Zero Wing gets released on PC only a few days after this stream, but I guess I can't complain too much, especially if they put Dash Yarou or Horror Story in there. Horror Story is one of about 4 Toaplan games that I have never played, so that would be cool.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Jesus I was wrong about everything
Sumez wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:Make your bets on games and release date?
Tatsujin + Tatsujin Ou, with Demon's World as bonus game, plus a Teki Paki download code of course. :P
Release date: 27th of October 2022
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Maybe is just to trick us and it will be a Slap Fight / Out Zone combo.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:Jesus I was wrong about everything
Sumez wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:Make your bets on games and release date?
Tatsujin + Tatsujin Ou, with Demon's World as bonus game, plus a Teki Paki download code of course. :P
Release date: 27th of October 2022
Nah, not everything; Teki-Paki should still be there!