M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Rastan78 »

Thanks for the info about the ports.

BTW maybe I'm just an idiot, but when in KT arcade challenge mode aka training mode, I couldn't find a way to back out to the main menu. I must be missing something obvious?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm, yeah. Gave it a go just now (PS4), couldn't seem to find a way back to title. I'm sure they'll patch it up, knowing M2.

Also, that was my first go at Arcade Challenge mode, and wowowow :shock: This is gonna be a godsend with Same3 and Tatsujin Ou. Addictive, too! I've long since given up on the "how 2 maek shump mainstream" thing, but if I had to pick a way, this looks good. Love the gold stars for doing it in one take. :mrgreen: Like a vastly polished-up spin on ACA Gradius III's Custom mode (an invaluable practice tool in its own right, but very much geared at diehards who'll chase clears unprompted)
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Rastan78 wrote:Thanks for the info about the ports.

BTW maybe I'm just an idiot, but when in KT arcade challenge mode aka training mode, I couldn't find a way to back out to the main menu. I must be missing something obvious?
Yes

BIL

Post by BIL »

WTF :shock:

Spoiler

Yep that works. :cool:

EDIT: Man, the AC Challenge menu's "Break A Leg!" arrangement is smooth. Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'm on Switch so that will probably be the select button which like no game ever uses to back out of a menu. Coulda sworn I tried that though. Thanks for the pic. Now I know where to look.

And yeah this challenge mode rocks. Great way to learn. Especially on a games like these with a long loop and where getting sniped once can instantly end a run. It's just a more fun and forgiving way to come to grips with the levels.

Haven't tried the super easy modes yet. Not sure I'll get into Tiger Heli so I may just one and done the easy mode for the fun of it.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

heli wrote:I already found a movie :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkH25_kRAJo

How do i show the movie in the post ?
You can't, unfortunately. This forum software predates video streaming and embedding of such! It also predates tabbed browsing (wow, I feel old), so I have to remember to middle-click all external links here.
BIL wrote:The PCE version's Yellow upgrades to homing when maxed out, I hear. I guess the port staff weren't keen on it either... :lol:
The homing functionality is a secret, you need to hold Select when picking it up to activate, otherwise it behaves the same as AC. It's the only version that does this. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that port was done by A.I. Co, who also did... um... Wing Force?
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

“I love the smell of M2 Toaplan in the morning....”

Most excellent to be able to play arcade Tiger Heli and Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra legally on modern hardware! :mrgreen:

Hail the mighty M2: may you good Shottriggers fellows craft and restore many more Toaplan, 8ing/Raizing and CAVE et al arcade shooting games!

Friday afternoon 10/29/2021, PS4 has already updated to 1.02 w/ mention of
“SUPER EASY,” “CUSTOM,” “END,” “DIP [SUPER EASY] [SUPER HARD] [MAX] [DIFFICULTY 15],” “FC,” “NES,” and “CUSTOM” (again).
*** Please Note: Lots of kanji; only Roman alphabet words passed along here.

Also thanks as always for the heads up/autofire suggestions Rastan78. Much appreciated from an old dude who’s still new to autofire/autofire settings!

This site is dai-ichi: so many knowledgeable and good spirited folk!

Happy Samhain!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sorry if it's been posted earlier in the thread, but do we know what changes were made to Custom mode?

Also, how do I adjust the frequency of the auto-fire? I only see the 30hz option.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

On PS4, you set autofire frequency by going to the button config menu, setting a button to "Shot" or "Bomber," then hitting [square] ; that'll cycle through the autofire frequencies, from 10 to 30hz.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
heli wrote:I already found a movie :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkH25_kRAJo

How do i show the movie in the post ?
You can't, unfortunately. This forum software predates video streaming and embedding of such! It also predates tabbed browsing (wow, I feel old), so I have to remember to middle-click all external links here.
Forums are a dying breed, but they're still my favorite way to browse the web. There's some web design elements here, like the background, that look like they were made during the wild west days of the internet. And I love it. The early internet had a very different vibe to it, and this website still has some of that magic.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

heli wrote:*I like the airwolf themed music very much
I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought Airwolf within seconds of hearing that splash screen music.

I haven't dived deep into this release yet. The slow ship speed is so damn hard to get used to. That and my instincts to needlessly micrododge lead to some very short runs! :mrgreen:

A large ship firing 2 parallel streams of bullets? I can fit in between them! It doesn't matter that there are also 4 tanks sniping from the sides at the same time, or that I have the mobility and hitbox of a beached whale... BRING IT ON BITC- oh...apparently I can't...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Can anyone confirm the original US default dip switch settings for Twin Cobra? Was it really defaulted to 100,000 Only for score extends? It's really odd that KKT defaults to 70,000/200,000 Every instead.
Domino

Post by Domino »

The more I play Super Easy mode on Kyukyoku Tiger the more I wanna survive by not being hit/bombing. Really want to get the bullet speed/difficulty up in the red and get the game pushing.

The other modes + the DLC pack (Get Star is fun when drinking, not joking)
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Jonpachi wrote:Can anyone confirm the original US default dip switch settings for Twin Cobra? Was it really defaulted to 100,000 Only for score extends? It's really odd that KKT defaults to 70,000/200,000 Every instead.
I'm not certain about the US version but I can tell you the World version defaults were 50,000/150,000 every
BAD

M2 Toaplan?

Post by BAD »

Absolutely can not wait for an M2 Toaplan collection! I have been more than happy with everything they've done, and it would be so cool to play Truxton II and Tiger II. I love all the extra modes and other cool things they put into their releases.

Unrelated, but I've been praying for Armed Police Batrider...
badcp.info
Tarma

Re: M2 Toaplan?

Post by Tarma »

BAD wrote:
Unrelated, but I've been praying for Armed Police Batrider...
Heh, so has everyone else...
BrianC

Re: M2 Toaplan?

Post by BrianC »

BAD wrote:Absolutely can not wait for an M2 Toaplan collection! I have been more than happy with everything they've done, and it would be so cool to play Truxton II and Tiger II.
I would love to see both, but Tiger II would probably be unlikely since it was designed by Takumi.
heli

Post by heli »

Why wont they release any Takumi games then ?
Dont they have the rights yet ?
Need a copy of Mars Matrix!!!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

GigaWing is on the Capcom Arcade Stadium collection, so they're likely the best chance for the Takumi games published by Capcom (such as Mars Matrix).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

heli wrote:Why wont they release any Takumi games then ?
Dont they have the rights yet ?
It's a Toaplan collection, not a Takumi collection. However, I found out Toaplan programmers were involved with the game, which I was unsure of. Not sure if Tatsujin owns the rights to it.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Tiger II also runs on far more advanced hardware. Assuming M2 sticks to what they've claimed is emulatable to their standards at this point in time, it isn't realistic until they move to PS5-specific releases. And that would seem to be a LONG way off.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm also struggling to set auto-fire rate on Tiger Heli (Switch).
On the other games, it's listed as a seperate thing eg:

"Y - 30kh - Rapid Fire" and pressing the designated button changes the khz.

on Heli, it's simply listed as "Y - Rapid Fire (30khz)", pressing buttons doesn't do anything, and cyclin through the poresent there are n other speeds.

Anyway, still haven't fired up KT yet as I'm emjoying this so much. Made is 3/4 through ST3, but it's getting pretty tricky by that point. Still have a few choke points such as the biut near the end of ST2 where all the tanks come out in a circle and dogpile you, but once you take movement speed and the game's own perculiar rhythm into account, it's possible to mke incremental progress with every turn. Great stuff.

On the other hand, what was all the excitement about Get Star? Only had on go, but it feels like trash!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

ZPScissors wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Can anyone confirm the original US default dip switch settings for Twin Cobra? Was it really defaulted to 100,000 Only for score extends? It's really odd that KKT defaults to 70,000/200,000 Every instead.
I'm not certain about the US version but I can tell you the World version defaults were 50,000/150,000 every
So I've gotten some more information on this, apparently 50,000/150,000 every is the default setting but 100,000 only is the setting recommended by Romstar
heli

Post by heli »

*wrong topic
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Marc wrote:I'm also struggling to set auto-fire rate on Tiger Heli (Switch).
On the other games, it's listed as a seperate thing eg:

"Y - 30kh - Rapid Fire" and pressing the designated button changes the khz.

on Heli, it's simply listed as "Y - Rapid Fire (30khz)", pressing buttons doesn't do anything, and cyclin through the poresent there are n other speeds.
I was confused by this as well. What you need to do is set a button to the default Shot, and then press Square to cycle between the various auto-fire rates. If you select the 30hz version it won't let you cycle it. It's all very convoluted for no good reason.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If you select the 30hz version it won't let you cycle it. It's all very convoluted for no good reason.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. G Darius HD has this setup too. I think that default 30hz button is different to a normal external autofire button somehow, maybe with the way it responds during slowdown. Haven't figured out the difference yet though.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

My physical Switch version arrived today courtesy of Amazon.jp... Love the alternate covers. Kyukyoku Tiger one is the reverse of the standard cover; IDK whether the Get Star one was an Amazon bonus or not.

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

That GetStar art is awesome as hell.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

God damn, that Get Star artwork is badass :o edit: What Jeneki said!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yeah it seems the GetStar cover is an Amazon exclusive (and possibly other outlets?). I got mine from Play-Asia and didn't get one.