M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:Yellow is vindicated at last. :cool: :lol:
https://youtu.be/A9_nAZ3VEA0
BIL

Post by BIL »

You had enough, I know you're overstuffed
And if I keep going, you'll be throwin' up
~ "Counter Stop," DJ Yella & The 10MIL0verLordz Image Image

EDIT: Speak of the yellow devil? Image

Spoiler

Namco's Phozon, 1983. I do wonder, haha.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I just found out that the Darius Cozmic Collection IS related to ShotTriggers. The credits say "Powered by M2 ShotTriggers".
Noisepurge

Post by Noisepurge »

to add to the "Safe Zone - In Kyukyoku Tiger Stage 10 boss fight, position yourself inside an area safe from all boss attacks" -trophy guide, here´s a screenshot of where i got it, took me like damn 30 minutes of constant trial and error to find the spot the game accepted :D

Was backed all the way up to the screen edge, have to stay there a couple seconds, try to check the ground pattern and that the right landing skid is aligned with the line on the road.
Shooting or not doesn´t seem to matter, and some tanks will still kill you there so it seems abit iffy. The patch that came out today might have adjusted it too.
Spoiler
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I am deeply disappointed that trophy's not called "I Went to the Safety Zone."
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what do I have to do to redeem the download code for Teki Mori on the Switch? When I enter it, I just get the message that the game isn't available yet, which can't be right.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Herr Schatten wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, but what do I have to do to redeem the download code for Teki Mori on the Switch? When I enter it, I just get the message that the game isn't available yet, which can't be right.
Are you redeeming it on the Japanese eshop? Has to be in the correct region.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Jonpachi wrote:Are you redeeming it on the Japanese eshop? Has to be in the correct region.
Got it, thanks. I wasn't aware that the region of the shop access was tied to the user account, not the console. Creating a new account with the correct region information did the trick.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

As hinted by the promo picture, the bonus game for Hishou 3xSame is gonna be Wardner. Makes sense chronologically if you're looking at what they've been releasing.

Means next bundle is gonna be Tatsujin 1+2 with Demon's World as a bonus?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Wardner is perhaps the best arcade platformer ever made. It holds up really well today, both in terms of sprite work, music, and gameplay.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's massively overselling Wardner, but it's fun, sure.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Wardner again as a dlc , smh.
Hope when they done they release all these dlc's on one cart.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Sumez wrote:That's massively overselling Wardner, but it's fun, sure.
Which arcade platformer is better?
DMC

Post by DMC »

I recall having lots of fun with Wardner but I also vaguely recall some bits at the end of the game that seemed excessively difficult. So I sort of gave up. Is there an extreme jump in difficulty there or is it reasonable? I was maybe just impateitn.

Haven't old arcade platformers like this generally aged quite fine?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Console ports too, great! Assuming the physical release will be everything and digital split between main game and DLC, like the Ultimate Tiger Heli collection. 8 year old me is incredibly excited at the prospect of a proper Flying Shark console port (we didn't get the NES version in the UK and they butchered the music anyway).

No idea where they're going to fit Twin Hawk though, if not on this compilation.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

bcass wrote:
Sumez wrote:That's massively overselling Wardner, but it's fun, sure.
Which arcade platformer is better?
Uh, just off the top of my head, I'd submit:

Donkey Kong (and DK Jr.)
Strider
Shinobi (and Shadow Dancer)
Rainbow Islands
Snow Bros
Ghosts and Goblins (and Ghouls and Ghosts)
Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
Osman
Bionic Commando
Wonder Boy (and its arcade sequels)
Elevator Action (and Elevator Action Returns)
Ganryu
Splatterhouse
Mappy
Karnov
Joe & Mac
Legend of Kage
Black Tiger
Magician Lord
Ninja Spirit
Altered Beast (yeah, I do think it's better)

If platform-ish run and guns count, add lots more like the Metal Slugs, Contra, Sunset Riders, etc.

I realize that people have their preferences and may not like some of the above. But I think that, at a minimum, any of them would have a significant number of people who would rank them higher than Wardner.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Liquid Kids
Trojan
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not gonna repeat hamfighterx and Sima Tuna since that's already a great list, and it doesn't even include Bubble Bobble, New Zealand Story, or Rastan.

I really do love Wardner, but it's a B-tier platformer along the likes of Karnov, Blue's Journey, Bonze Adventure, Toki, Tonma, etc. (which are also games I love!).
Ghouls n Ghosts and Rainbow Islands are some of my favourite arcade games of all time, topping even my favourite shooters. But arcade platformers are my jam, the more the better, and I'm happy to see Wardner getting a fresh port.

Being reminded of the game, I actually picked my PCB out again trying to fix the issues I've had with it. And I think I made it worse in the process. Gotta get this thing working again.....
BIL

Post by BIL »

Out of laziness and idle curiosity (searched about M2's twitter + stream, couldn't find an answer), are they including the MD and/or FDS versions? The former's needlessly garish palette has always irked me, but the beefed-up OST is some prime Wizard Metal.

The latter I never really checked out, other than Mr. Mosquito's customarily lovely replay. Looks neat, but mostly I'm curious to see M2 attempt FDS emulation. Would love them to put FDS Dracula II on a future comp sometime. (I typed "MSX Akumajou Dracula" there, at first... needless to say, the more platforms M2 bridge out to the better, especially rickety ol' floppy formats)

Wardner's some super solid hop n' shoot fare, at any rate - will be great to have a straight AC version to go with the MD cart. If not for the latter I'd be significantly more jazzed (see also Snow Bros, great game with an uncommonly close MD port).
jehu

Post by jehu »

BIL wrote:Out of laziness and idle curiosity (searched about M2's twitter + stream, couldn't find an answer), are they including the MD and/or FDS versions?
Looks like FDS is in and MD is out.

Edit: Actually BIL, you might want to look at the video and double check. They flash through the Wardner inclusions quickly and I don’t know the OG material well enough (nor Japanese well enough) to know 100%.

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=b0KOEjYZXZk
Last edited by jehu on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

They showed the Famicom version of Wardner in the stream, so I'd assume the MegaDrive version is gonna be there too.

edit: oh
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting :o Ta buds. Very cool to see them support FDS, makes me hopeful for more down the line.
jehu wrote:Edit: Actually BIL, you might want to look at the video and double check. They flash through the Wardner inclusions quickly and I don’t know the OG material well enough (nor Japanese well enough) to know 100%.

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=b0KOEjYZXZk
Ah cheers! Yeah, from that video, it does seem they went with the FDS one. The three preceding appear to be AC variants: Wardner (Japan), Wardner (World), and Pyros (can't recall which region, but IIRC it was basically a namechange, ala Contra/Gryzor).

The MD one's fairly easy to spot in JP, since it adds a nice red "Special" blurb to its title logo (Wardner no Mori Special - again IIRC, it's just Wardner on Genesis).

If the MD one really is out, it wouldn't surprise me if they gave the FDS one precedence for variety's sake. The MD version really is pretty damn close to AC, unlike say Hellfire's significantly different MD/PCE-CD releases. At the same time, wouldn't surprise me if it really is in there somewhere.

EDIT: also, the MD one was published by Visco... whose IPs have been more troublesome than normal lately (total no-show on ACA Neo Geo, sadly). Some French assclowns own their catalogue, IIRC (typing that acronym a lot this post, haha... been a while since I revisited Wardner). Maybe that's an issue, somehow. Ah well, the boards are the main thing. Bangin' Hishouzame cock-rock arrangement in that vid :cool:
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I've read elsewhere that they've announced every port for all the games but Wardner no Mori Special, though it doesn't seem they're including the X68000 and Towns versions either.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Not having the Genesis version of Wardner is a little sad, since it had a couple new bosses, IIRC. That second level extra boss, the lady who turns into a giant spider using several frames of animation, is paricularly memorable. Still grabbing this regardless.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

In the stream linked earlier it shows the game select menu screen - FDS is the only non-arcade Wardner on show so does look like the MD is out. A little odd given they clearly have working emulation for the console - maybe there's some publisher licensing issues or something?
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

I bought Kyuukyokyu Tiger Heli just to support M2.I never thought I have this much fun with KyuTiger.
What a great oldschool shmup ! I Like the PC Engine Version too,this one in handheld mode a blast!
Can´t wait for next Toaplan Collection :D
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

silvergunner wrote:I bought Kyuukyokyu Tiger Heli just to support M2.I never thought I have this much fun with KyuTiger.
What a great oldschool shmup ! I Like the PC Engine Version too,this one in handheld mode a blast!
Can´t wait for next Toaplan Collection :D
I agree with the PCE version on Switch in handheld mode!

I actually got both the PS4 (downloaded) and Switch (physical) releases... and the weird thing is, I prefer playing the arcade ports on PS4 on a TV. But for the console ports, I just love them on Switch as a portable. Same thing happened for me with the Aleste Collection, for the GG Aleste titles.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I have been able to find only very little information on the Super Easy mode features in K. Tiger. Anyone have a breakdown of how it all works? Anyone play around with it for more than just a few minutes and have some impressions to share?

All my time's been spent in Arcade, but there's a few interesting elements of the 'Super Easy' Arrange that seems like it might offer some interest to better players. I don't know the precise mechanics of it, but if you don't get hit for awhile - difficulty begins to increase 'till in-game maximum of '15.'

If you're in the early stages once the difficulty meter is at '15,' the bullet speeds are far faster than they'd be in Arcade in the same place. Your score ticks up for as long as you can play at '15,' but when you get hit - the game adjusts the challenge down quickly for the real beginners. The difficulty of the '15'-level bullet speeds is off-set by the faster movement somewhat, but I'm starting to suspect the game might get interesting even faster than Arcade if you're playing for score.

I don't know if it was smart to try to accommodate high-level score play and braindead easy mode for beginners into one 'arrange' - but it's an interesting experiment.

Admittedly, I haven't played around with it much yet. I'm still perfecting my Arcade route and don't want to mess up my routing by adapting my approach around the faster movement speeds. But once I hit my Arcade goals, I'll probably try to put up a good leaderboard score in 'Super Easy.' Just want to know how it actually all works!

According to my Switch, M2 K. Tiger has just officially become my most-played title on the platform. I knew I'd get my money's worth when I bought it, but never expected this.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Super Easy mode's difficulty increases based on the number of bombs you have, with 0 being the easiest. Max bombs is 7 in super easy, and at 6 bombs, the difficulty is identical to the regular arcade version but keeps super easy mode's autobomb and the increased movement speed and the smaller hurtbox. Once you get your 7th bomb, the difficulty slowly starts to increase over time, eventually exceeding the difficulty of the arcade version. Once you get hit and autobomb or use a bomb manually, everything immediately reverts to an easier setting. I believe the same is true for Hishouzame and Same! Same! Same!, as well, but I'd have to watch M2's live stream again.