M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by BrianC »

Steven wrote: The new stages are pretty shitty, but if you like Snow Bros., the first 50 floors are basically identical to the original game's but in widescreen.
I haven't gotten to the new stages, but I'm under the impression that the developer wanted to use the MD exclusive levels, but couldn't. The girls have the hair color of the MD versions and the description of the game (or somewhere in game) mentions fighting the devil at the end of the new stages, despite that not being the case.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BrianC wrote:
Steven wrote: The new stages are pretty shitty, but if you like Snow Bros., the first 50 floors are basically identical to the original game's but in widescreen.
I haven't gotten to the new stages, but I'm under the impression that the developer wanted to use the MD exclusive levels, but couldn't. The girls have the hair color of the MD versions and the description of the game (or somewhere in game) mentions fighting the devil at the end of the new stages, despite that not being the case.
The new stages suck, but the worst is the floor 70 boss. I was stuck there for like a day. It took me like 50 credits just to get past that one floor. Fuck that shit. I never want to play past floor 50 again... and I kind of don't want to play the game itself again, for that matter.
heli

Post by heli »

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Holy shit :shock: :D
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Isn't that from a stream like 2 years ago?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Rastan78 wrote:Isn't that from a stream like 2 years ago?
LOL what? Really? :|
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

They don't have any recent streams, so I'm assuming that's what it is
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah, that ol' chestnut. :lol:

heli the good thing about shumps is they last forever when you play 'em, so everyone can set the world on fire with HAWT runs in the couple dozen+ M2 ports currently out there this gen, just in time for Arcade Garage OutZone and Tatsujin. :cool:
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

When do you all think the next 2 game Toaplan collection will be revealed? If they keep their schedule of releasing one every six months, then the next one should be October which isn’t that far away.

M2 ShotTriggers releases are the ones I enjoy the most.
subcons

M2 Toaplan collection

Post by subcons »

JJHLH wrote:When do you all think the next 2 game Toaplan collection will be revealed? If they keep their schedule of releasing one every six months, then the next one should be October which isn’t that far away.

M2 ShotTriggers releases are the ones I enjoy the most.
No chance they hit that date. It’s a good guess that the MD mini console and Ray’z will have M2 tied up for a while. They’ve said in the past that the ShotTriggers releases share dev resources with regular M2 work, so I wouldn’t expect another Toaplan release until sometime in 2023.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

What are the chances the next M2 Toaplan release will be Truxton 1 and 2?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Johnpv wrote:What are the chances the next M2 Toaplan release will be Truxton 1 and 2?
Seems very high, and is also kinda taking the luster out of the release as we just got a few mini console releases for Tatsujin (Egret Mini, AC Mini V) and the sequel (AC Mini V). Obviously, an M2 release would be the definitive version, but I'm personally pretty blah on playing either of them again any time soon.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

The yen/dollar conversion has really turned to my benefit and I'm looking to grab both Arcade Garage releases off of Amazon JP while I can. It looks like both can be had for under $100, super-zippy shipping included.

Because I'm a peasant who insists on playing non-PC STGs on a Switch Lite, how much of a squint-athon is this going to be? I've got a few of the Livewire Cave releases which get a bit tough to follow after about 15 minutes (though my performance isn't notably worse than on the PC/XB360 versions of those titles?), but I'm wondering if non-danmaku games might be a bit easier to track. Anybody else find these titles enjoyable/playable in non-tate'ed handheld mode?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I thought the 6 month release frequency was pretty slow as it was. Like, it would take many years before they finally get to Batsugun. But if they are already running late on the next release, it seems likely they'll never hit the goal of releasing every Toaplan game.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Jonpachi wrote:
Johnpv wrote:What are the chances the next M2 Toaplan release will be Truxton 1 and 2?
Seems very high, and is also kinda taking the luster out of the release as we just got a few mini console releases for Tatsujin (Egret Mini, AC Mini V) and the sequel (AC Mini V). Obviously, an M2 release would be the definitive version, but I'm personally pretty blah on playing either of them again any time soon.
Also the upcoming Evercade cart, which probably has me covered for Toaplan now if I'm honest, Batsugun aside.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

I’ve been playing the first two releases lately, which are terrific of course.

Toaplan created some awesome title screens.

One thing I can’t figure out is how to go back to the main game selection screen one I finish playing a game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Image
Wilford Brimley cat! Diabeetus!
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

BrianC wrote:
BIL wrote:Image
Wilford Brimley cat! Diabeetus!
Good call! I can't unsee it.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

JJHLH wrote:I’ve been playing the first two releases lately, which are terrific of course.

One thing I can’t figure out is how to go back to the main game selection screen one I finish playing a game.
I think pressing the touchpad brings up the game selection menu. At least, that's what I remember doing.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Damn for getting me needlessly excited about possible Truxton II / Outzone collection. I would sell my old grandma to get it, if she wasn't so badly decomposed.
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

prophetic wrote:
JJHLH wrote:I’ve been playing the first two releases lately, which are terrific of course.

I think pressing the touchpad brings up the game selection menu. At least, that's what I remember doing.
Yes, that worked. Thank you so much.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

In the wake of the Embracer acquiring Tatsujin news, it was nice to see that M2 confirmed the 3rd Toaplan Arcade Garage release is still in the works. https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1560 ... 8dwsUdb6vw
M2_game wrote:上村さんありがとうございます!また、皆様にはご心配おかけして申し訳ございません。
エムツーの東亜プランシリーズ、第3弾を発表できずもうしわけないのですが、現在も着々と開発中です。
引き続きよろしくお願いいたします
#東亜プラン #M2STG

Thank you Mr. Uemura! In addition, we apologize for causing concern to everyone.
It's a pity that M2's Toa Plan series couldn't announce the 3rd one, but it's still under development.
Thank you for your continued support
#東亜プラン #M2STG
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

hamfighterx wrote:In the wake of the Embracer acquiring Tatsujin news, it was nice to see that M2 confirmed the 3rd Toaplan Arcade Garage release is still in the works. https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1560 ... 8dwsUdb6vw
M2_game wrote:上村さんありがとうございます!また、皆様にはご心配おかけして申し訳ございません。
エムツーの東亜プランシリーズ、第3弾を発表できずもうしわけないのですが、現在も着々と開発中です。
引き続きよろしくお願いいたします
#東亜プラン #M2STG

Thank you Mr. Uemura! In addition, we apologize for causing concern to everyone.
It's a pity that M2's Toa Plan series couldn't announce the 3rd one, but it's still under development.
Thank you for your continued support
#東亜プラン #M2STG

Cool, thanks for that. Doubt we'll see another release this side of 2023 though... which is a shame.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Done When It's Done is A-OK by me. :cool: Still enjoying the relief since they broke the twenty-year blueballing with Arcade Garage Vol 2. :mrgreen:
CRP

Post by CRP »

Tarma wrote: Cool, thanks for that. Doubt we'll see another release this side of 2023 though... which is a shame.
They have been super busy with other things
Horii also comments on how 8 new games is kinda OTT; Kubota, who directs M2's self-published ShotTriggers series, had his hands full on Mega Q 2022, Sega Q and...
...supervising Fantasy Zone MD, so whenever Horii would ask him how M2STG was going, he'd be like "I haven't had time to check in"
from gsk twitter https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1560675742186622977
check the whole thread about sega and m2 about md mini 2 from todays interview that he translated on twitter.
subcons

Post by subcons »

BIL wrote:Done When It's Done is A-OK by me. :cool: Still enjoying the relief since they broke the twenty-year blueballing with Arcade Garage Vol 2. :mrgreen:
Yeah, kinda same. I’m still working on Kyukyoku Tiger and I’m pretty close to the 1CC. I’ve got it routed, I just need to string it all together. Just been busy with other stuff lately, so I haven’t had the time. But because of that, I haven’t even cracked open Hishou Same! yet, so I’ve got that to look forward to.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

hamfighterx wrote:In the wake of the Embracer acquiring Tatsujin news, it was nice to see that M2 confirmed the 3rd Toaplan Arcade Garage release is still in the works. https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1560 ... 8dwsUdb6vw
That's a relief. A little worrying that they worded it like this though, and didn't provide any guarantee that the series would continue beyond that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Take a look at that embedded tweet; that's Uemura-san saying that he's seen everyone worrying about the M2 releases, but that nothing is changing. M2 apparently bought the rights for basically everything except Mahjong Sisters and Enma Daio (Enma Daio requires the use of a special controller that measures your pulse, so it will almost certainly never be rereleased. The game, cabinet, and controller are all stupidly rare, so you will likely never see it in your life) so I don't know if it would be financially viable for them to actually stop the series, as they might end up losing money if they don't continue releasing them if they haven't reached their break-even point yet, and they apparently do not make a lot of money on ShotTriggers.

Oh yes, I might as well ask this now before I forget; does anyone want me to go through and translate the books that come with the M2 Toaplan releases? I don't know to what extent I will be able to translate them, or if I will do entire books or just parts that I find interesting, but if anyone wants me to do it, I might as well. I imagine a lot of it will likely be covered in the documentary, but I don't know.