M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DenimDemon

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by DenimDemon »

Seems M2 is planning a stream around Christmas. Wonder if it’s Toaplan related.

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1594 ... p6wwWKdDUg
MJR

Post by MJR »

Slightly related; I asked ChatGPT AI to write poem about Toaplan. Seems like it was struggling with rhymes near the end XD

Lander

Post by Lander »

Looks like it found the transcript for Shmup Junkie's Toaplan video :lol: it's remixed for rhyme, but a lot of that flowery sentence structure is very familiar.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Too bad it didn't find the Truxton song episode of Classic Game Room.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Now tell it to write a poem about Slap Fight MD.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

LOL that is horrible
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote:Now tell it to write a poem about Slap Fight MD.
Well, you asked for it
CRP

Post by CRP »

Please no more ChatGPT (or post it elsewere), can we get back to thread topic now.
DenimDemon wrote:Seems M2 is planning a stream around Christmas. Wonder if it’s Toaplan related.

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1594 ... p6wwWKdDUg
I recon its quite plausible, mayby release towards summer/spring ? Rayz is getting released on 9 march. So they should finnising it off in a month or so, since cart must be made for release date.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Please turn on channel registration & notification
https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1601033894463168516
23 dec
Aleste Branch, Ubusana, the as-yet-unrevealed Toaplan Arcade Garage Vol.3,
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1601035643949568002
https://twitter.com/NShmups/status/1601122542768754688
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vroom vroom mahfucka! GIMME DAT GARAGE BAYBEE
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

We've had a bit of Toaplan that's not been on the Arcade Garage releases lately - Hellfire and Truxton on the Mega Drive Mini 2; Truxton, Slap Fight and Zero Wing on Evercade. No idea if that means we'll get something else though! I think Outzone and Truxton were stated at the beginning as coming, so it might well be those two...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

does anyone still care about these boomer dad games from M2? Only 20 mins of content and no cut scenes to grab my cheetos smh
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:We've had a bit of Toaplan that's not been on the Arcade Garage releases lately - Hellfire and Truxton on the Mega Drive Mini 2; Truxton, Slap Fight and Zero Wing on Evercade. No idea if that means we'll get something else though! I think Outzone and Truxton were stated at the beginning as coming, so it might well be those two...
And we got Outzone, Tatsujin-Oh and Batsugun on the ACM-V. I'd still re-buy them all at M2 quality, but the hype is fizzled for sure.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Whatever it is, I hope it has Dash Yarou because Dash Yarou is hilarious. The AI motorcyclists and cars FUCKING EXPLODE when they crash and then you pull into the gas station and Donald Trump gives you this super tiny amount of gas and then you're like WTF DUDE GIVE ME MORE THAN THAT!!!!!!

I give it 14/10 and you need to play it.
MJR wrote:
Well, you asked for it
lol looks like the AI doesn't know much about the game, sadly. Looks vaguely like Junkie's script again, lol
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote:Whatever it is, I hope it has Dash Yarou because Dash Yarou is hilarious. The AI motorcyclists and cars FUCKING EXPLODE when they crash and then you pull into the gas station and Donald Trump gives you this super tiny amount of gas and then you're like WTF DUDE GIVE ME MORE THAN THAT!!!!!!

I give it 14/10 and you need to play it.
MJR wrote:
Well, you asked for it
lol looks like the AI doesn't know much about the game, sadly. Looks vaguely like Junkie's script again, lol
Agree, I was surprised that it was capable of this much. AI regurgigates what it has been fed and "creates" very generic bulk "art" that will appeal to those who don't know the subject any deeper. Which seems to be -sadly- a LOT of people. I just had a dubious "honor" of being followed by an AI "artist" on my artstation page. Went to see, and she had five pieces there called AI1, AI2.. and over 600 followers who were singing praises on her "works". 600 of these mouth-breathers is just too much for my sanity to bear, I can only hope that the impending climate catastrophe will wipe out these clowns.

AI is a fun toy, and I liked making those Toaplan "poems" for cheap lulz, but it aggrieves me that some people think it can be used to supplant actual artists.

OK, back to subject. I am definitely looking forward to seeing Truxton and Outzone on next M2 collection. Here's to hope.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Loving the M2 Christmas present. Wonder what we're gonna get for the "super important" guest announcement Famitsu is reporting (which appears to be in addition to RayZ, TAG vol.3, Aleste Branch, and Ubusuna).
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Probably nothing quite so exciting, but it would be wonderful if the special guest was Iuchi announcing that Ubusuna is finished and its release imminent.

New ShotTriggers collection of all the G-Mode Archives+ Cave titles.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

hamfighterx wrote:RayZ, TAG vol.3, Aleste Branch, and Ubusuna
Don't know about the rest of you, but I've been madly impatient for each and every one of these titles for quite some time.
heli

Post by heli »

What is : Ubusuna ?
Cant find movie or screenie
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Steven

Post by Steven »

I have a feeling that someone somewhere, if not a decent amount of people, will be disappointed by this collection in at least some small way no matter what it is, as many of the Toaplan games have been released on the Astro City Mini V, Egret II Mini, or MiSTer since the Same collection, Zero Wing, Out Zone, and Tatsujin are coming soon on PC along with Kyuukyoku Tiger which was previously released by M2 over a year ago, and only super hardcore Toaplan fans would be satisfied with Daisenpuu and Vimana (although I love Space High and so should you because Space High is fucking awesome). MAME finally has the Tatsujin Ou speed up debug thing working now, as well.

Still, the audio on MiSTer is sort of fucked on Tatsujin and completely fucked on Tatsujin Ou and development of the Toaplan V1 core seems to have stopped completely as of ~6 months ago (no idea about V2), leaving Tatsujin, Zero Wing, Hellfire, and Out Zone in limbo on the MiSTer (although Tatsujin is the only V1 game with a major issue, that being the broken audio), MiSTer components are apparently borderline impossible to get parts for right now, which also serves to make the system very expensive to build, the Astro City Mini V is horrible, Egret II Mini is expensive, PC releases have no announced release date as of yet (but will probably be before M2's release anyway since M2 typically seems to announce things at least 5 months prior to launch), MAME stutters when scrolling due to refresh rate differences to the point where I get a headache and find using MAME to be an extremely unpleasant experience, and PCBs are expensive in general, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Evercade releases. Yeah, that shit got fucking stolen or something. That really sucks.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:... Tatsujin ...MAME finally has the Tatsujin Ou ...

Still, the audio on MiSTer is sort of fucked on Tatsujin and completely fucked on Tatsujin Ou ...
If you're suggesting that Tatsujin is on deck, I, at least, will not be among the disappointed. I think I'd enthusiastically take anything - even, maybe especially Daisenpu and Vimana - except for Hellfire and Zero Wing. There are pretty compelling reasons to prefer the MD version in each case, and I've had my fill.

With M2, it's all about the deluxe suite of options. I don't want to play Same x3 or Tatsujin Oh on the V. If I wanted the PC experience, I'd be on MAME. I'm ready for the Toaplan Garage to be lifted open again.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Steven wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about the Evercade releases. Yeah, that shit got fucking stolen or something. That really sucks.
Only the limited edition Evercade EXP consoles got nicked, the regular stock is fine as are the Toaplan/Irem carts. Of course it's close to xmas and the posties are on strike so good luck to anyone hoping to play it this year!

They're all single region ROMs with no DIP switch options (the emulation is usually bang on though), so extremely no-frills next to the M2 releases. But soooo much cheaper, less cumbersome and considerably more available than the mini arcade things - which have had staggered releases (if at all - I think Astro City V is still AWOL in Europe but under embargo for shipping from other regions).
Steven

Post by Steven »

jehu wrote:
Steven wrote:... Tatsujin ...MAME finally has the Tatsujin Ou ...

Still, the audio on MiSTer is sort of fucked on Tatsujin and completely fucked on Tatsujin Ou ...
If you're suggesting that Tatsujin is on deck, I, at least, will not be among the disappointed. I think I'd enthusiastically take anything - even, maybe especially Daisenpu and Vimana - except for Hellfire and Zero Wing. There are pretty compelling reasons to prefer the MD version in each case, and I've had my fill.

With M2, it's all about the deluxe suite of options. I don't want to play Same x3 or Tatsujin Oh on the V. If I wanted the PC experience, I'd be on MAME. I'm ready for the Toaplan Garage to be lifted open again.

I don't know what this next collection is, so I can't really say one way or the other. I guess it doesn't really matter in the end since I'll still have to wait for release day like everyone else, and everyone else here will probably get the digital versions before my physical copies arrive, so out of everyone here who gets it on launch day I will probably and ironically be among the last.

Anyway, I actually rather like Vimana, especially its completely fucking amazing soundtrack, and yes, it will destroy you if you play it without autofire. It's pretty much the only game that I've ever played where 30Hz auto completely ruins the game, too. It's really too bad that so many people who know that 30Hz auto breaks the game will probably just turn on the 30Hz auto and demolish the game, as it's actually a very nice and well-designed game when you play it without a ridiculous rate of fire. Of course, I love all Toaplan games, even Batsugun, although there are some that I love significantly more than others, and my list of best-designed Toaplan games and my list of favourite Toaplan games are definitely not the same.

I kind of REALLY want to go buy the expensive Vimana + V-V soundtrack now. Strange combination of games for certain, but that's what City Connection decided to go with for whatever reason.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Steven wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about the Evercade releases. Yeah, that shit got fucking stolen or something. That really sucks.
Only the limited edition Evercade EXP consoles got nicked, the regular stock is fine as are the Toaplan/Irem carts. Of course it's close to xmas and the posties are on strike so good luck to anyone hoping to play it this year!

They're all single region ROMs with no DIP switch options (the emulation is usually bang on though), so extremely no-frills next to the M2 releases. But soooo much cheaper, less cumbersome and considerably more available than the mini arcade things - which have had staggered releases (if at all - I think Astro City V is still AWOL in Europe but under embargo for shipping from other regions).
Okay. I had heard that there are no region settings and no DIPs available, so I lost interest in that release immediately, but it is an option, and by far the cheapest option out there to own legal copies of the arcade versions unless you have a friend who is willing to sell you his Tatsujin Ou for like 2 USD or something... but probably not lol. Actually, Same! Same! Same! is significantly more expensive than Tatsujin Ou in Japan anyway. You can find Tatsujin Ou for like 150000~180000 yen, but good luck finding a genuine Same! for under 250000 yen. I've seen some legit PCBs recently but with known fake ROM chips installed and they were still more expensive than most of the Tatsujin Ou boards I have seen.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Groovymame works extremely well with Toaplan games on a CRT and has for more than 10 years now. These aren't games particularly hard to emulate, it seems.

Seems we're getting Out Zone-related news tomorrow, but not from M2, sadly. I think the actual disappointment will come from these Bitwave guys instead.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Steven wrote: I've seen some legit PCBs recently but with known fake ROM chips installed and they were still more expensive than most of the Tatsujin Ou boards I have seen.
Can you elaborate on this? I want to make sure mine is real and don't know what you mean.
Steven

Post by Steven »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Steven wrote: I've seen some legit PCBs recently but with known fake ROM chips installed and they were still more expensive than most of the Tatsujin Ou boards I have seen.
Can you elaborate on this? I want to make sure mine is real and don't know what you mean.
With fake ROM chips: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180904607
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Seems we're getting Out Zone-related news tomorrow, but not from M2, sadly. I think the actual disappointment will come from these Bitwave guys instead.
I trust Carl-Henrik completely. He loves these games as much as everyone else and I highly doubt he'd be willing to put out something that isn't excellent. I fully expect the Bitwave releases to be on par with M2's.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Steven wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:Can you elaborate on this? I want to make sure mine is real and don't know what you mean.
I'm still not sure which ones you're referring to.
Is it the row of mask roms at the top?
Difficult to see on these pics with the low resolution, have you seen the actual board in their shop?

Or are you talking about the 2 eproms that have a replacement label?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Steven

Post by Steven »

parodius wrote:
Steven wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:Can you elaborate on this? I want to make sure mine is real and don't know what you mean.
I'm still not sure which ones you're referring to.
Is it the row of mask roms at the top?
Difficult to see on these pics with the low resolution, have you seen the actual board in their shop?

Or are you talking about the 2 eproms that have a replacement label?
The chips with the Mitsubishi labels are most likely fakes. Here is another one that they have, this time with a set of both Fire Shark ROMs and 2P Same! ROMs as an extra. https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180904637

I am not an expert on Toaplan boards, but I know someone who is, so while I can check to see what he says, I can pretty much guarantee that he'll say these are fakes.

Here is a real Same!: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180000853
Yeah, check out that price. Significantly more expensive than either of these Tatsujin Ou boards, and that's for just the board itself.

https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180902513
https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/180000780
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Hopefully M2 will release the next Toaplan Arcade Garage Volumes more frequently from next year on.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo