M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Jonpachi »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I haven't got time to watch the whole thing ATM, but I skimmed through - did they mention if there was going to be a 'not run like garbage' setting for the janky Micronics Famicom stuff?
Isn't preserving that experience kind of the point though? We're getting the accurate arcade games, and then a collection of the ports. "Fixing" the ports would kind of defeat the historical value of such an endeavor.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Jonpachi wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:I haven't got time to watch the whole thing ATM, but I skimmed through - did they mention if there was going to be a 'not run like garbage' setting for the janky Micronics Famicom stuff?
Isn't preserving that experience kind of the point though? We're getting the accurate arcade games, and then a collection of the ports. "Fixing" the ports would kind of defeat the historical value of such an endeavor.
I agree with you, which is why I asked about a setting, rather than redoing it. Like how they might reduce input delay or allow you to toggle slowdown in other releases in the series.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It's possible M2 could include a setting to remove slowdown. The Aleste collection had an option to speed up the games and remove slowdown, even for the new game. However, I'm not sure if the effort would be worth it since the arcade games can just be played instead.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

A setting to remove the slowdown in an emulated game is the easiest feature to add. The hard part is actually replicating the slowdowns.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

In the case of the Micronics Famicom stuff, it's not the slowdown I'd be worried about, rather the choppy scrolling and the fact that their (His? I think it was like one guy) games tended to run at 10 fps and lag like crazy. Preservation efforts for all that would mostly just serve to show your future grandkids how Christmas in the olden times could suck if mom bought you the wrong game and it's all you had for the next 8 months.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Hey, I happen to enjoy the shitty fucked up Micronics port of Tiger Heli. Just because it's bad doesn't mean it's unenjoyable :wink:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

trap15 wrote:Hey, I happen to enjoy the shitty fucked up Micronics port of Tiger Heli. Just because it's bad doesn't mean it's unenjoyable :wink:
Tiger Heli is maybe the best of Micronics' hackjobs. I've not played it myself, but I've also heard good things about Ikari 2 or whatever it's called. FC KT doesn't look too bad, either. Back to Tiger Heli, something different I noticed between the Famicom and NES versions - on the latter you can actually see the 2 superbombs attached to the heli. That indicator seems to be missing from the original.
BIL

Post by BIL »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I've not played it myself, but I've also heard good things about Ikari 2 or whatever it's called.
FC Dogosoken is about as lame as FC Ikari. Image They did somewhat better on the controls - you can strafe, kind of - but it's all for naught with the stages being ghost towns, and the usual weak, choppy shooting. A curio, at best. Just like Ikari, there's a fair bit of added content, wasted in an innately lame port.

Get SNK's own beautiful FC Great Tank, Guevara and Ikari III - masterclasses of adaptation, and rampant topdown actioners in their own rights - and forget either of the above exist, that's my recommendation. Image Then follow up with the superbly accurate ACA versions of TANK, Ikari, Dogosoken and Guevara, and pray to Jebus that Hamster hook up the best SNK topdown army man game ever SEARCH AND RESCUE Image
FC KT doesn't look too bad, either.
FC Kyuukyoku is actually pretty good imo, only Micronics project I own. Still has distinct traces of Micronics badness - choppy scrolling, weakly amateurish AV - but the former seems somewhat better-regulated, and it does a surprisingly good job of capturing the AC stages' slow-burning intensity, so the latter doesn't offend much.

I would recommend it to tolerant lovers of both (not either) FC shooters and Toaplan, but it's got stuff like this so caveat emptor. Rad boxart, at least, which I'm glad to see in the latest M2 stream. I never worked out if it was AC art, or done for the port. A sublime cruising-altitude vision of sniper tank hell!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If M2 does a meticulous highly accurate port of a shitty half baked port, does it come full circle and now become a good port? This is making my brain melt.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I like to think of it as a memorial. :lol: Never forget what happens when greedy arcade publishers sell out to shitbird porting houses!

~Arcade Memorial Selection~ :cool:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

These ports must be preserved to the full extent of the jank.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:preserved to the full extent of the jank
The first and last statement on Emulating Shitty Games Image
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Personally I was really hoping for the X68000's Kyukyoku exclusive analog control option to be included, as it was a really weird but fun addition. Doubt it'll happen though. :(
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Looks like anyone who buys the new Tiger collection will get Toaplan puzzle game Teki Paki as a free download. Looks like it's a DL code if you buy the physical version and you get it automatically with the digital version. It has M2 gadgets etc.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/amp/202110 ... ssion=true

https://m2stg.com/teki-paki/

https://youtu.be/7AYX5EousbU
Domino

Post by Domino »

Rastan78 wrote:Looks like anyone who buys the new Tiger collection will get Toaplan puzzle game Teki Paki as a free download. Looks like it's a DL code if you buy the physical version and you get it automatically with the digital version. It has M2 gadgets etc.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/amp/202110 ... ssion=true

https://m2stg.com/teki-paki/

https://youtu.be/7AYX5EousbU
I guess my Switch Lite is now my Teki Paki machine.....I can't stress how underrated this Puzzle Game is.
Last edited by Domino on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The music goes in pretty hard for a puzzle game. Almost has a Raiden Fighters style sound to it.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Rastan78 wrote:The music goes in pretty hard for a puzzle game. Almost has a Raiden Fighters style sound to it.
With the speed of a STG IMO. I was hoping hard M2 would do Teki Paki one of these days, but I was caught off guard on how soon it will be. I bet money the M2 guys also love the game as much as I do.

And there goes my afternoon time....
BIL

Post by BIL »

Uemura mentioned Teki Paki being an in-house favourite among Toaplan themselves, haha. Great to see it here!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Is this a preorder bonus or a permanent inclusion?

Any word on if this compilation is coming to the Western market, and if not, is there an English option for the Japanese game?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

XtraSmiley wrote:Is this a preorder bonus or a permanent inclusion?

Any word on if this compilation is coming to the Western market, and if not, is there an English option for the Japanese game?
Telling from the game page, it's included inside the package ala a digital movie download code packaged with blurays.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

XtraSmiley wrote: Any word on if this compilation is coming to the Western market, and if not, is there an English option for the Japanese game?
Nothing that I've seen. Considering the Aleste Collection still hasn't made it to the west in digital or physical form, if it does, it will be a while.

The other ones have had mostly Japanese menus but they are pretty easy to figure out / translate with the help of a smart phone.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Bear78 wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote: Any word on if this compilation is coming to the Western market, and if not, is there an English option for the Japanese game?
Nothing that I've seen. Considering the Aleste Collection still hasn't made it to the west in digital or physical form, if it does, it will be a while.

The other ones have had mostly Japanese menus but they are pretty easy to figure out / translate with the help of a smart phone.
Yeah, their hodge-podge way of bringing games over is annoying. When it's digital, the only hassle is the actual translation. They should just budget it from the start and have both Japanese and English menus, then release digital world-wide, with physical if the demand is there.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BrianC wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:Is this a preorder bonus or a permanent inclusion?

Telling from the game page, it's included inside the package ala a digital movie download code packaged with blurays.
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too, but I'm wondering if this is for the first print run only or something. Odd that it's not just on the disc.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Bear78 wrote:

It's a little bit funny that people seem to be assuming that all M2 ports will automatically get a Western release when there's already been several games they released that haven't come to the West. Sorcer Striker, ESPRade, and Aleste Collection are all still Japan only, and they've been out for several years. Might be others I've forgotten, too, but it's still not really a given that things will come to the Western market when it comes to niche Japanese genres.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah, their hodge-podge way of bringing games over is annoying.
One thing you have to bear in mind is that things may function differently if they're working under contract for a bigger publisher ie Taito or Konami on that company's own IPs compared to where M2 is obtaining a license and footing the bill themselves ie Aleste or Toaplan stuff.

It seems to be less likely that the games where M2 holds the license will come over as they would have to justify the costs of localization for themselves. In a situation like G Darius HD where English localization was included day one, I'd assume that was ultimately up to Taito.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I'm just glad it's a physical release, instead of the bizarre way they released some games digitally. I can get it without having to work around foreign digital storefronts, which usually seems to involve faking an address. Would love them to revisit Battle Garegga and Mahou Daisakusen on a Switch cart, even JP only.

Toaplan stands a chance of worldwide releases given the historic popularity of their games though - a lot ended up on the Mega Drive across both North America and PAL regions (with some silliness - no PAL Twin Cobra, no US Zero Wing), and were well received. I'm surprised no-one has taken up Aleste yet though, given the relative fame and popularity in Europe of the games in that collection.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

I wouldn't be suprised if someone like Limited Run do Aleste... you'll just have to wait another 12 months after buying it to actually get it. :roll:
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Tarma wrote:I wouldn't be suprised if someone like Limited Run do Aleste... you'll just have to wait another 12 months after buying it to actually get it. :roll:
The game has already been out for almost a year, I think they would've done it already if they were going to
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Western releases of the M2 "ShotTriggers" line are very late getting here. Limited Run Games versions of them even moreso.

Battle Garegga was out in Japan December 2016. Western digital release October 2017. The Limited Run Games physical version went up for sale May 2019. Not sure when I finally got it in the mail, but I'm guessing 6 months later.

Dangun Feveron was released in Japan in April 2017. The Western digital release was April 2018. LRG physical version didn't get sold until April 2021.

Will we see Ketsui or any of the others get released by LRG? Will the Aleste Collection even make it as a digital title? If we do get them it may be another year or more from now. Nobody at M2 or Limited Run are racing to get these out here.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Tarma wrote:I wouldn't be suprised if someone like Limited Run do Aleste... you'll just have to wait another 12 months after buying it to actually get it. :roll:
The game has already been out for almost a year, I think they would've done it already if they were going to
Not necessarily, check out the post above.

Dangun Feveron was released in Japan in April 2017. The Western digital release was April 2018. LRG physical version didn't get sold until April 2021, AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE ACTUAL DISC!!! :P

Still, I'm happy they are doing it. I love physical on these old games, even thought it's just a disc that will likely die in 20 years.