Minishmuppin' love

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
it290

Minishmuppin' love

Post by it290 »

So I just put this setup together recently to play pinball games on my switch and I have to say I'm absolutely in love with it for shmups too—cheapo 15" gaming monitor, some desktop speakers, 8bitdo stick swapped out with Seimitsu parts. I normally play on tate'd CRTs or on a bigger flatscreen w stuff on the sides, and I have to say just sitting this close to a small monitor has been a game changer for me—I feel like my dodging and tapping are just screen awareness are way beyond where they usually are. Just wishing there were more M2 ports on the Switch, but ESP Ra. De. plus the Psikyo stuff plus Gain Ground is enough for now... hopefully we get Out Zone soon.

Anyone else use a setup like this? If not, I recommend giving it a shot... it's a wonderful way to play and can be conveniently positioned nearly anywhere for a quick game between Zoom meetings or whatever.

We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
DoomsDave

Re: Minishmuppin' love

Post by DoomsDave »

Looks great! I've been thinking about getting small LCD like that. Have you got a link to the monitor and info on what the response time is?
it290

Post by it290 »

No idea about response time, but I'm pretty sensitive about that sort of thing and it doesn't feel bad at all. This is the monitor in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HY ... UTF8&psc=1
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
el3m

Post by el3m »

Looking good! I think I have the exact same portable monitor (relabeled with a local store brand), I think the response time is quite good but the colors are bit off on mine. I've also used it as a portable shmupstation :) Only issue is that the monitor is so light that it's difficult to TATE and keep steady without proper stand

I also have the 8bitdo stick that I bought to mod with seimitsu. I've read from reddit that might be a difficult fit and you'd need to cut the plastic and remove the weight plates to fit some Seimitsu models. What model did you use? I'm looking for a Seimitsu model that would be good for shmups and relatively easy to install.
gct

Post by gct »

I have a similar monitor and the same stick. I have not used it on Switch but I am more likely to try it with PC.

Curious about your Seimitsu mods. I'm fairly certain the buttons would drop right in, but I have read about incompatibilities with the vast majority of Seimitsu's lineup on the joystick side. I don't mind shaving some plastic, but I would like to avoid removing any significant weight and completely puncturing the outer shell.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

https://blog.mdnomad.com/2020/11/29/8bi ... h-windows/

This is in Japanese, but it has good info re Seimitsu mods to the 8bitdo joystick if you try google translate.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nice setup. I got a hori mini stick to do something similar when playing shmups on switch. It's no match for many of the bigger arcade sticks, but it's surprisingly responsive and is actually a nice fit for Switch, and blows many earlier console arcade sticks out of the water. Thanks for the info for the 8bitdo stick. I was on the fence because I was looking for a Seimitsu friendly modable stick and heard the stick wasn't ultra modable like 8bitdo claimed.
it290

Post by it290 »

It only fits certain levers, but I was able to fit both an LS-55-01 and an LS-62-01 in there no problems. The latter is a bit too short to play comfortably but the LS-55 is perfect. The bigger issue was the snap-in buttons—they fit, but the tolerances on the two holes closest to the stick made them rather challenging to secure properly, had to fiddle with the casing plastic quite a bit.

Note that the LS-62-01 doesn't fit with the mounting plate it comes with, had to swap it out with the plate from the LS-55.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I just got myself one of those sticks (and also have the white versions of your Pebbles). I love it a lot so far. Decent little upgrade to their previous one.
I also got a Galaxy Tab S7+ for drawing, but I'm finding games in MAME look incredible on this powerhouse. Although the control setup is pretty stupid and some stuff doesn't work in the emulator. But hey DoDonPachi plays well enough and I can finally have that one on the go. Also, the mobile port of RayForce runs SUPER damn well on this thing. It looks great and doesn't run like ass like it does on phones. So having that on a bigger screen is great.