2021 Shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CanbeeShinobi2

2021 Shmups

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

Can you please suggest some great upcoming shmups in 2021? Indie titles are ok but I am mostly looking for awesomely produced titles. thanks.
EmperorIng

Re: 2021 Shmups

Post by EmperorIng »

Upcoming in 2021, as the larger releases (forum links for convenience):

R-Type Final 2 (kickstarter backed [thrice-over], all major platforms)
Senjin aka Battle Blade (the original shmup made by M2, arcade-only) EDIT: revealed as an Aleste game; perhaps Senjin Aleste?
Aleste Branch (original new shmup made by M2 and new Aleste game, all major platforms)
Yurukill: The Calumniation Games (new shmup by G.REV, visual novel story elements, and due out on all major platforms)
Cotton Reboot (enhanced remake of Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton, due out on major platforms - new Cotton game also hinted at)

Some smaller titles have been teased/promised (Andro Dunos 2 for arcades, a new Milestone Ilvello game for Switch) and a whole slew of indie titles (Mechanical Star Astra looks promising), but these are some of the bigger ones I've seen buzz about. Plus I don't know if all of these smaller titles will release next year.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Is Ninja Soldier, the game with the name so good it gives me monster wood, a separate project from Battle Blade? The latter is a fine name too, and I'd love to believe they're both ongoing projects, but I'm waiting for that other shoe to drop. :oops:

Also holy fuck, didn't know G.REV had a new STG in the pipeline. Good thread.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Strikers 2020 was supposed to be released in 2020, but considering everything I would not count on it, so 2021 it is (hopefully)
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

I stumbled upon this, I don't know if you would consider that a shmup but I do.

It is Pocky & Rocky, hopefully would be release soon. :D :D :D

BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahh yes. Image The long-awaited third member of Natsume's SFC Power Trio. Going by Wild Guns Reloaded and The Ninja Warriors Once Again, it should be a beaut. Shunichi Taniguchi and company have not only kept their old skills, they've improved on them.
Spoiler
^^^ scaled image, feel free 2 steal ;3
CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:I don't know if you would consider that a shmup but I do.
Pocky and Ikari and Shock Troopers etc are considered A-OK here Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

A lot to look forward to for shmups in 2021. Pocky update should be great. The updated spite work and animation in Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors were outstanding. Effortlessly upgrading and enhancing every little detail without breaking with the original look and feel. Remixed soundtracks and likewise well done. That reminds me I cleared WG reloaded, but gotta go back and spend some more time with Ninja Warriors.

Don't forget about GG Aleste 3. An all new game directed by Manabu Namiki created within the boundaries. (or to break the boundaries?) of the GG hardware. Ok so it's coming out right at the end of this year so not technically 2021.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Does anyone know when Strictly Limited ships copies of Darius Extra Version (Genesis/Megadrive)?
miwa

Post by miwa »

while not being new games it should be mentioned that Deathsmiles 1&2 are coming to various platforms in 2021

https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmiles/
Last edited by miwa on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nate wrote:Does anyone know when Strictly Limited ships copies of Darius Extra Version (Genesis/Megadrive)?
Website still says early 2021.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thank you, BrianC!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I am so looking forward to R-Type Final 2.

R-Type Final 1 had some neat ideas but didn't stick the landing unfortunately. I'm glad its getting another shot.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Any word on M2 and their Toaplan games? I heard they're doing a stream sometime soon.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Ubusana :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: