Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Some-Mist

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by Some-Mist »

To Far Away Times wrote:How much do the packs cost in USA Freedom Dollars?
$15 (at least for pack #3)
a creature... half solid half gas
SPM

Post by SPM »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:there does not appear to be any custom zoom options on the 2D screen options if you want to maximize the display size without mucking the aspect ratio
This can't be right! It's so stupid. Hope there's a way around it or they fix it soon. Until then I'm not purchasing anything. As if the Switch screen isn't small enough as it is...

Edit: I've just watched a guy streaming it on youtube and every game he plays with the display on "normal" covers the maximun size possible of the screen with the propoer aspect ratio (so with bars on the sides, not stretching it out), except for 1943!! Wtf? The free game is the one less polished or what?
Last edited by SPM on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Looks like it's coming out for PS4, Xbone, and Steam

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/02/capcom- ... one-and-pc

Should be out tomorrow on the Switch.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

First impressions aren't good. I think I'm gonna save my cash for G Darius HD.

I can't stand the whole overbearing GUI with the fact that you have to scroll through every single game to find the one you want. Trophies and tutorials popping up everywhere. It defaults you to the annoying zoomed out cabinet view so you'll be going straight into menus and messing around before you can even play. Forced reminder of how to inset coin every time you are at attract mode with no way to turn it off. Screen scaling options are ass. Frame rate looks randomly choppy. I'm sure the list will go on. But hey it's really cheap for the amount of games. This is probably better viewed in the light of a budget collection aimed at a casual audience rather than something that will compare well to the likes of M2 and Hamster. But M2 will charge you the price of this whole collection for one port so there's that.

Definitely Capcom in house as credits are all Japanese staff with no indication of outsourcing to Digital Eclipse etc. Oddly enough it runs on the RE engine.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

This is the first time I'm playing a lot of these shooters so I'm pretty happy with it so far. Two questions though, on Progear and GigaWing. For Progear, does the charge shot thingy just suck up items or does it also do a high powered shot? For GigaWing, I'm basically just using rapid fire until I see an enemy with a lot of bullets and then I do that barrier shot and collect medals. Am I doing that right?
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

How are Progear and Gigawing, performance-wise? I am only familiar with the DC version of GW. I admit that I'll be getting the collection mainly for these...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Wittischism wrote:How are Progear and Gigawing, performance-wise? I am only familiar with the DC version of GW. I admit that I'll be getting the collection mainly for these...
I went ahead and downloaded the 3rd pack. Giga Wing felt laggy IMO and has obvious emulation issues at first glance like sprites for turrets or the pockmarks left behind by explosions intermittently scrolling at a different rate from the background. Maybe it's just me, but overall something just feels off like the pacing of the screen update is stuttering at times. Its really obvious with 1943.

Scanlines aren't particularly great. They're super light and barely noticeable and also don't line up to the pixels correctly in either scaling mode.

I'm still ok with the fact that I only spent 15 bucks for such a good selection of games. But don't go in expecting arcade perfection or anything. Think I'm gonna stop right there and avoid downloading the rest.

For those who aren't picky about the little details and just want to check these games out there is a lot to enjoy here.
Jbrodack

Post by Jbrodack »

I've been curious about this and how these games stack up to already released versions like the beat em up bundle bundle.

I noticed right away that armored warriors only has the Japanese version which is odd cause it had English in the beat em up bundle. I tried the free games and kinda mixed on it. Seeing a quarter go in was a neat gimmick but it seems the switch can't handle the 3d arcade rendering and the games at the same time so the frame rate goes down. Also disappointing that there is no online multiplayer which the beat em up bundle and street fighter collection had.

There are a decent array of visual and gameplay options. The menu is a bit clunky though. The rgb pixels option doesn't look too bad though no filter probably best. Scanlines look vertical. The rewind option is neat for some of the more frustrating games but the button mapping for rewind and fast forward is the opposite of what I'd expect by default.

What I was looking for in this collection especially is the leaderboards and challenges. I kinda like what they were going for here. There's even a special capcom points you accumulate through play and unlockable wallpapers. The challenges are kinda odd though. Ghosts and Goblins has you playing in fast forward mode. There's no replays of other players to watch that I can tell. There's also a threshold to even be ranked for the challenges and they are kinda high. I like what they were going for with trying to get people to keep playing and challenging scores and having a community but it could use some work.

I think Antstream does the competitive retro gaming thing much better even if it does weirdly use streaming for small retro games. Their challenges are actually cool though and some have you not allowed to attack or some other quirks. They have a currency you earn by doing well in challenges that you use pay to join them other challenges. They have some cave games like dangun feveron. They gave me a free year when I signed up on their site.

I still may get the most recent pack with progear. Or maybe I'll get the beat em up bundle when it goes on sale unless this goes on sale first.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

A quick tip: The Switch version has some nasty performance issues that seem to be tied to the video effects. I've seen choppiness in the menus, and using any of the options that gives you a virtual arcade cabinet runs frequently into frameskipping. Going with "original" with the black background seems to get rid of a large number of those issues but you'll still see a BIT of choppiness depending on the game.

I know this is Shmups and not SRK, but just a reminder you probably don't want to pick this up explicitly for SF2T/SSF2T; the lack of waitstates means those are still only an approximation in all known emulations of them.

That said, the package isn't *too* bad but definitely needs a bit more work. I imagine the PC/PS4/XB1 versions (which have been confirmed) will run a lot better.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I bought it as well and the first problem I noticed was the weird stuttering that happens occasionally in at least some of the shmups I tried (Progear, Giga Wing, 19XX). I hope that is something they are able (and want) to fix with a patch.

As for input lag, well at least it isn't horrible (IMO), though doesn't feel really great either. Giga Wing was worse than Progear, but at last both have it better than the Capcom Home Arcade double stick thing, which pcb just doens't have juice to run these games with low input lag. Just by feel, I would say the input lag in general might be on the Hamster release level (maybe 5-6 frames).

I'll leave it to the expert to figure out how much issues there might be what comes to slowdown accuracy and the like.

I wasn't definitely expecting anything close to M2 level of accuracy from this release, but I was hoping it might be at least okay as it contains so many good shmups. Have to play more to know the final verdict (and hope they fix that stutterin issue)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Pretty lame honestly. They should've focused on smooth performance over gimmicks. The Switch might not be a powerhouse, but it should be able to at least emulate 1943 at a smooth 60 fps. If the extra features they're running in the background are the culprit then that's a shame bc I don't think most people actually give a damn about those.

I mean the games are playable at least. It's not to the point where it will take a way the fun on the original games. It's just that these classics deserve better. I'll take Hamster's approach of barebones UI and presentation with solid emulation any day. That being said 32 ACA ports would run you over 250 bucks.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Rastan78 wrote:Pretty lame honestly. They should've focused on smooth performance over gimmicks.
This basically sums it up. Sounds like a big mess on Switch, which should be a surprise to no one, but Capcom just can't resist that Nintendo money for marketing and timed exclusivity. They prefer that over releasing on a platform that can actually handle the software without extreme amounts of extra work to get it optimized on the platform. :roll:
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I have my doubts that the problems are really Switch related directly. Yeah, Switch might be adding that frame extra input lag, but there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't be able run these emulations well enough. We'll see how it will run on PS4, Xbox and PC when it releases on those platforms
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'll give it a whirl later. I'm a bit more forgiving than many as long as the games are still playable but it's a bit disappointing to hear. I'd hold for the PS4/Xbox version (that's presuming those will be any better), but the portability is a massive thing for me - the Mrs and kids quite often hog the TV's in the main room and I do spend more hours than I care to count on the smaller screen. You'd think Capcom would know their target audience for this will be a bit more critical than most - let's hope there's a patch in the works.

Again, it does bear pointing out the price disparity between this and individual releases in the ACA mould (I dread to think what I've spent on those if I get bored I'll add it up over the weekend), but still....
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MachineAres 1CC

Also, somehow, I find this offensive. Does anyone not know what credits are? And do you think anyone who doesn't know what credits are would be playing a collection of 30-40 year old arcade games? It's perplexing.

GFoyle wrote:I have my doubts that the problems are really Switch related directly. Yeah, Switch might be adding that frame extra input lag, but there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't be able run these emulations well enough. We'll see how it will run on PS4, Xbox and PC when it releases on those platforms
Not too sure, since, for whatever reason, this collection is running on the RE Engine, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since they haven't been able to get any other RE Engine games running on Switch successfully, so maybe this was a sort of a test, maybe? In any case, I guess we could consider the test failed to some degree if even running very basic stuff like this is obviously overloading the Switch's processor or GPU or just extremely un-optimized in every way. Could be that this was just developed for the PS4 and Xbox originally and attempted to port to Switch later once Nintendo showed up with a paycheck and a rush job was done.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:Pretty lame honestly. They should've focused on smooth performance over gimmicks.
This basically sums it up. Sounds like a big mess on Switch, which should be a surprise to no one, but Capcom just can't resist that Nintendo money for marketing and timed exclusivity. They prefer that over releasing on a platform that can actually handle the software. :roll:
I know you really hate the Switch for some reason, but you don't have to look any farther than Capcom's own belt scroll collection to see that it could have been done well. Not to mention the many ports that are well done on systems like 360 or PS2 that are less powerful than Switch. Actually even the PSP has some good collections like the Parodius one.
MachineAres 1CC

Rastan78 wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:
This basically sums it up. Sounds like a big mess on Switch, which should be a surprise to no one, but Capcom just can't resist that Nintendo money for marketing and timed exclusivity. They prefer that over releasing on a platform that can actually handle the software. :roll:
I know you really hate the Switch for some reason, but you don't have to look any farther than Capcom's own belt scroll collection to see that it could have been done well. Not to mention the many ports that are well done on systems like 360 or PS2 that are less powerful than Switch. Actually even the PSP has some good collections like the Parodius one.
I edited my original post to clarify a little. I played the belt scroller collection and don't remember much about the interface, but most of the problems with this new collection seem to stem from all the excess crap they have running in the background at all times. It seems like instead of actually turning off all the extra rendering and processor tasks done for the "virtual arcade" 3D thing when you start a game, it just leaves it always running in the background so as to avoid load screens if you want to jump around the menus and between several games.

I could tell from messing with the options, that even when you choose to turn off the virtual arcade machine thing that surrounds the game screen, it doesn't actually stop rendering them, it just makes them invisible. This could likely be fixed if they want to just put in a few seconds of loading screens between the menus, but the current performance is pretty unacceptable. Just in playing about 10 minutes of 1943, the screen would skip and judder every 10-15 seconds, making it nearly unplayable past a pure novelty credit-feed.

Like I just said previously, it's been pretty well known that the RE Engine is generally not a low-rent engine as far as processor and GPU needs, so why they chose to make this collection in that engine is a little beyond me, besides that they just wanted to avoid paying any licensing fees for using someone else's engine. Anyway, it probably runs fine on all the other platforms and was probably built for those, and the Switch version is just an un-optimized cash grab once Nintendo came knocking. I guess we'll see if they're unable to patch this to get it working acceptably before the other versions launch later in the year.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
SPM

Post by SPM »

SPM wrote:
mamboFoxtrot wrote:there does not appear to be any custom zoom options on the 2D screen options if you want to maximize the display size without mucking the aspect ratio
This can't be right! It's so stupid. Hope there's a way around it or they fix it soon. Until then I'm not purchasing anything. As if the Switch screen isn't small enough as it is...

Edit: I've just watched a guy streaming it on youtube and every game he plays with the display on "normal" covers the maximun size possible of the screen with the propoer aspect ratio (so with bars on the sides, not stretching it out), except for 1943!! Wtf? The free game is the one less polished or what?
Here's the full video with every game showcased:
https://youtu.be/Mymm1WBOntU
19XX, 1944, Giga Wing and Progear have actual full size display options (as many others) but there are some games that run in a smaller window with the normal settings, like 1943, GnG, Vulgus, ...
I don't get it... Why?
At least the ones I'm most interested in do this well...but why not all of them?
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: I could tell from messing with the options, that even when you choose to turn off the virtual arcade machine thing that surrounds the game screen, it doesn't actually stop rendering them, it just makes them invisible. This could likely be fixed if they want to just put in a few seconds of loading screens between the menus, but the current performance is pretty unacceptable. Just in playing about 10 minutes of 1943, the screen would skip and judder every 10-15 seconds, making it nearly unplayable past a pure novelty credit-feed.

Like I just said previously, it's been pretty well known that the RE Engine is generally not a low-rent engine as far as processor and GPU needs, so why they chose to make this collection in that engine is a little beyond me, besides that they just wanted to avoid paying any licensing fees for using someone else's engine. Anyway, it probably runs fine on all the other platforms and was probably built for those, and the Switch version is just an un-optimized cash grab once Nintendo came knocking. I guess we'll see if they're unable to patch this to get it working acceptably before the other versions launch later in the year.
Could be very well be true if it's because of that RE-Engine. Reminds me of that god awful Vasara Collection, which had some Unity made implementation wrapper around the emulators of the original games (the new game/mode was implemented with Unity though) and that probably caused tons of extra input lag when you played the original games, especially on Switch.. but also on PS4, where I though the the input lag is not that good based on how it feels and that's why I fear that there could be also issues with this collection on other systems, even though it probably runs better (if it's because of the RE-Engine).

I'm hoping that they will still patch this, especially the stuttering, but I don't have huge hopes up... it's too big company, I doubt they care unless the casual audience starts complaining a lot about it (which I doubt).

Going to check out the PS4 or XBox release (Series S/X is great what comes to input lag), at least there is that one free game, so I don't need to spend more money then if there is still same issue.
Marc

Post by Marc »

GFoyle wrote:As for input lag, well at least it isn't horrible (IMO), though doesn't feel really great either. Giga Wing was worse than Progear, but at last both have it better than the Capcom Home Arcade double stick thing, which pcb just doens't have juice to run these games with low input lag. Just by feel, I would say the input lag in general might be on the Hamster release level (maybe 5-6 frames).
I owned one for a while (got shut when I soft-modded my SNK ASP), while I barely touched ProGear, Giga Wing seemed fine to me? I mean, I hadn't played it since the dreamcast days, but I didn't notice any major issues. If it runs to that level, I guess I'll be fine with it.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Marc wrote:
I owned one for a while (got shut when I soft-modded my SNK ASP), while I barely touched ProGear, Giga Wing seemed fine to me? I mean, I hadn't played it since the dreamcast days, but I didn't notice any major issues. If it runs to that level, I guess I'll be fine with it.
If you were fine with that on Capcom Home Arcade (CHA), you definitely are going to be fine with the input lag on this. IMO input lag is worse on Giga Wing on CHA, even after updates on that system (removing Retroarch etc.). Giga Wing and 1944 Loop Masters are probably the worst what comes to input lag on CHA, those definitely had some of that ice skating feel that you get when input lag get's high enough.

Let's put it this way, I can live with the input lag on the Psikyo Switch ports outside Strikers 2, which have it 1 frame worse than the rest (and I have played few of those games on the original arcade cab so I know the difference how it should feel), even though I wish it would be much better + have a lot more features for practicing. The input lag on this doesn't seem to be worse than those, probably better on average (similar to Hamster ports), but most likely it varies between the games a bit. Number 1 problem is definitely the stuttering at the moment and it's a hard to recommend this unless they fix that first.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:. I played the belt scroller collection and don't remember much about the interface, but most of the problems with this new collection seem to stem from all the excess crap they have running in the background at all times. It seems like instead of actually turning off all the extra rendering and processor tasks done for the "virtual arcade" 3D thing when you start a game, it just leaves it always running in the background so as to avoid load screens if you want to jump around the menus and between several games.

I could tell from messing with the options, that even when you choose to turn off the virtual arcade machine thing that surrounds the game screen, it doesn't actually stop rendering them, it just makes them invisible.
Yeah this sound pretty likely. I just don't understand why they think these arcade wrappers are a good idea, going so far as to make it the default way to play. So you get animated levers and coin insert but trash game performance. There's just no need to be rendering anything in 3D for a port like this. It's an absolutely terrible way to play that won't be fun for more than a 5 minute novelty. They must see these bells and whistles as a way to entice new casual players who won't notice the poor performance.

Another minor annoyance and baffling design decision is that inserting a coin is mapped to right stick button (the one where you push down on the stick) by default. So if you're playing on an arcade stick or retro style pad that doesn't have a way to map this, which a lot of people will be, the first time you play a game you have to remap this to a usable button on every single game you try. Would be nice if they patched in a way to just set every game to free play or something.

One thing I do like is that it let's you unmap the rewind and speed up buttons completely. I didnt get a chance to see how these play out with the leaderboards though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The decision to use REengine is baffling. Was this purely for all the 3D shit? Seems bizarre, when the beat-em-up collection worked so well already. I guess they're looking to pull in 'casuals' but I'd have throught by now they know how big the target market for something like this is, and that accuracy is more a factor to that crowd.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

The value of the games you get can't be beat, but the interface is atrocious lol at least that doesn't affect the gameplay. Just pack 3 for me, as well.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

steveovig wrote:This is the first time I'm playing a lot of these shooters so I'm pretty happy with it so far. Two questions though, on Progear and GigaWing. For Progear, does the charge shot thingy just suck up items or does it also do a high powered shot? For GigaWing, I'm basically just using rapid fire until I see an enemy with a lot of bullets and then I do that barrier shot and collect medals. Am I doing that right?
I can only answer on progear, but it does a high powered shot. You'll notice you'll want to use it for the majority of the time on bosses unless you're using the regular shot on boss bits to collect rings to build up the stone quality.

Without going too deep... the basic concept is herding bullets on top of enemies, using regular shot to cancel those bullets to produce the highest quality rings you can, and using strong shot to suck those in. Then when you herd bullets onto the next (preferably large?) enemy, using strong shot to cancel those bullets into scoring stones.

You just have to be careful using the strong shot to pull in the rings because if you accidentally cancel a bullet with strong shot turning it into a stone you can void out your scoring to the lowest quality stone.
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh dear. :sad: Was expecting teething issues, but not this dumb gimmicky shite being baked into the emulation. #1 want (waiting for the PS4 version here) is an option to chop anything and everything 3D right the mother-fuck out.

What some call "bare-bones" I prefer to think of as Load the game and fuck off. :cool: If you insist on imparting TEH REAL ARCADE FEEL how you give me a free carton of Camels? Cunts.

All in all, still glad this has some prospect of being patched.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I think I'll just test the waters with Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the Switch version and not make any purchases until the Switch version either shapes up or the PC or PS4 version comes out. Capcom did pull similar crap before with the MMX collection where Mega Man X1 has insane input lag in ALL versions (AFAIK, this has never been fixed) and this wasn't even one of the Digital Eclipse collections.

I feel the decreased lag in some of the PC versions of the Psyiko games comes with an asterisk, because it's only with V-Sync off. I'm also curious how much lag the PS2 versions have since they seem to contain many of the no-nos of PS2 shmup porting.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:Ghosts 'n Ghosts
I so wish this was the title of the upcoming game :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:
BrianC wrote:Ghosts 'n Ghosts
I so wish this was the title of the upcoming game :mrgreen:
lol. I hope that turns out well, especially since it sounds like the creator of the games is involved.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I kind of dig the small bits of video footage at the beginning of their release trailer, i wonder if there is more of that available?
https://youtu.be/4_jg3A4fP4o