Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPM

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by SPM »

Glad to hear the improvements on Switch!!!! My purchase is getting closer :D

Can anyone confirm if Giga Wing feels less slippery after the patch? 2 less frames of input lag would do it!

Also, does Progear play well after the improvements? that one had low input lag iirc, but had other problems.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Marc

Post by Marc »

Good news, hopefully followed up by another decent game pack.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

SPM wrote:Glad to hear the improvements on Switch!!!! My purchase is getting closer :D

Can anyone confirm if Giga Wing feels less slippery after the patch? 2 less frames of input lag would do it!

Also, does Progear play well after the improvements? that one had low input lag iirc, but had other problems.
All of those feel fine now. Its a small fix that changes everything. Its much smoother now. As for lag, Pro Gear feels great like most of the selection. I don't have other ways to compare Giga Wing besides the Dreamcast port or Raspery trough my cab monitor. Will cycle through them this weekend but for now i would say it plays fine. Giga Wings was really, really impossible to play with all the skipping. Would make my eyes hurt...
Im one of those that like scanlines option...just wish they were better implemented in this collection

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
MJR

Post by MJR »

I can confirm on my part that Progear indeed feels smooth. Overall seems to be better performance now. Tried on handheld. Glad they fixed this thing.

Some hilarious whining about pixels on this thread, thanks for the laugh :)
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

DenimDemon wrote:
SPM wrote:Glad to hear the improvements on Switch!!!! My purchase is getting closer :D

All of those feel fine now. Its a small fix that changes everything. Its much smoother now. As for lag, Pro Gear feels great like most of the selection. I don't have other ways to compare Giga Wing besides the Dreamcast port or Raspery trough my cab monitor. Will cycle through them this weekend but for now i would say it plays fine. Giga Wings was really, really impossible to play with all the skipping. Would make my eyes hurt...
Im one of those that like scanlines option...just wish they were better implemented in this collection

Hi, I have just played Gigawing on the PS4 so im not sure how it differs to the switch port. The input lag is really noticeable, dancing on ice kind of bad, i would say its the single worse case of input lag i have known. I tried the Dreamcast version via Redream emulator and the lag was even worse, i then tried Mame 0.198 and the game is significantly more responsive. Im not sure if mame if accurate to the arcade board but it feels great to play in comparison to the PS4 version. Not sure if this helps at all but its my none scientific findings.
Dremark

Post by Dremark »

Is it just me or is the audio on Progear low on PS4?
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Dremark wrote:Is it just me or is the audio on Progear low on PS4?
I have just tried the game and the music level is in line with the other titles, i didnt notice it being really low. Just to make sure check the sound settings in the title screen menu, my settings were set to max.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I tried the free 1943 (learned my Capcom lesson so many times over) and I actually like the presentation overall, but I do feel lag. Not a tremendous amount, but it certainly ain't what it should be.

Goddamn fuckin' RIDICULOUS.

Would appreciate someone comparing the newly patched Switch performance with the PS4 performance. I'm wondering if this level of response is the best we'll get, or if we now have to wait for another patch bringing PS4/XO performance on par with the minty fresh Switch performance.

Really glad I didn't purchase too soon, for once.
BBH

Post by BBH »

Loom1es wrote:Hi, I have just played Gigawing on the PS4 so im not sure how it differs to the switch port. The input lag is really noticeable, dancing on ice kind of bad, i would say its the single worse case of input lag i have known. I tried the Dreamcast version via Redream emulator and the lag was even worse, i then tried Mame 0.198 and the game is significantly more responsive. Im not sure if mame if accurate to the arcade board but it feels great to play in comparison to the PS4 version. Not sure if this helps at all but its my none scientific findings.
This was exactly my experience with Giga Wing on the PS4 version. Absolutely terrible.
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

I couldn't help myself and bought the 3rd pack for Progear (PS4 pro) . God awful experience! The lag is unbearable (maybe M2 spoiled me), also I haven't played the game before but if all those stutters during slow down are normal I'm not interested in the game anymore. I also tried Giga Wing and it's absolutely unplayable (lag).
For anyone with a PS4, who is interested to invest time in any of the games of the 3rd pack with 1CC as a target, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

I'm nothing like the sort of lag activist you often see on here, but for what it's worth I think Progear and Gigawing are both perfectly playable on PC. And the rewind function is great for practicing tricky patterns.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

banjoted wrote:I'm nothing like the sort of lag activist you often see on here, but for what it's worth I think Progear and Gigawing are both perfectly playable on PC. And the rewind function is great for practicing tricky patterns.
One man's "perfectly playable" is another's completely unacceptable. If you are even remotely trying to play for a 1cc or high level scoring, the shit sucks.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

I don't know what patch versions the PC and PS4 sets are running but on Xbox it's v1.0.2 so if the Switch is currently v1.0.5 then there's scope for the other versions to be updated if they're running a unified environment.

You'd hope their priority would be to get the feel/responsiveness of these games right.

Got to be honest I think the screen options are pretty crappy and could do with an overhaul.
BBH

Post by BBH »

Astro City II wrote:I don't know what patch versions the PC and PS4 sets are running but on Xbox it's v1.0.2 so if the Switch is currently v1.0.5 then there's scope for the other versions to be updated if they're running a unified environment.

You'd hope their priority would be to get the feel/responsiveness of these games right.

Got to be honest I think the screen options are pretty crappy and could do with an overhaul.
The PS4 version is labelled 1.01.

I'm not exactly sure if the version numbering means anything across platforms, they should have recognized the problems with the Switch version and made the other version better for their initial 1.00 releases. However..............
velo

Post by velo »

BBH wrote:
Astro City II wrote:I don't know what patch versions the PC and PS4 sets are running but on Xbox it's v1.0.2 so if the Switch is currently v1.0.5 then there's scope for the other versions to be updated if they're running a unified environment.

The PS4 version is labelled 1.01.

I'm not exactly sure if the version numbering means anything across platforms, they should have recognized the problems with the Switch version and made the other version better for their initial 1.00 releases. However..............
I think (?) the "autofire speed" setting for Final Fight and Captain Commando was only added to Switch in the most recent update. You should see it in the button configuration menu for those two games.
BBH

Post by BBH »

velo wrote:I think (?) the "autofire speed" setting for Final Fight and Captain Commando was only added to Switch in the most recent update. You should see it in the button configuration menu for those two games.
Final Fight does have a Rapid-Fire Speed setting in the Controller Settings, yes.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gonna laugh if the Switch version ends up having the lowest input latency. :lol: Ah well. I'm due one for M2's AGES stuff, just haven't had te fookin time with ACA goin' full blast, and new Dariuses and Cottons and R-Types, plus buddies on my ass to play them thar FromSawfts.

How refreshing to boot up an STG release and be slaughtering commies with all of one button press. Yo Capcom imma pay you fousands of the king's good pounds if you ditch this cringey-ass "durhurr member teh arcade" gimmick and just gimme the fuckin games in working order. Image

Spoiler

BETTER DEAD THAN RED YOU FUCKS Image
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

PC will probably have lowest if you set up double buffering and use NV's ultra low latency settings in the NV control panel along with a sufficiently low-latency stick (e.g. Brook Fighting Board)
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Tested Giga Wing, 1941 and Progear very quickly on Switch (after that latest patch) and I'm pretty sure that there is definite improvement to input lag in Giga Wing and 1941 (Progear was more decent already before). I didn't notice any stuttering either anymore. Moment in the Giga Wing didn't feel like skating after the patch, though it was a slightly sluggish (so maybe 5-6 frames of lag in total, handheld?). Would be great that if somebody, like Shmup Junkie would do a revisit and re-test the worst offenders with the latest patch installed.

But yeah, I think those are much more playable now, even if it's not perfect (I have blast city cab at home, hooked to Mister, so I'm used to playing with low lag). I'm really glad and actually a bit surprised that they did go and improve these and actually fix some of the problems. It's definitely not the M2 quality level, but IMO it's now definitely worth the price (unless you are allergic to any extra input lag).

If PS4 release feel like it has really bad input lag, then I suspect that it might be some earlier build and wouldn't contain similar improvements as with the latest patch on Switch. If that is the case, I'm sure it will be also be patched at some point.

I'm intrigued trying those games on the XBone version with Series X, at least the free game (1943) felt fine to me. It might still have the same issue as the PS4 version though.
Siontis

Post by Siontis »

I have already deleted the game from my PS4's hard drive, I wish I could delete the awful experience from my brain.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah, im really happy how it now plays on Switch [COCKTAIL GLASS]

05pro

Post by 05pro »

This is such a weird situation. I'm firmly in the 'no input lag issues on the PS4 camp' here & I bought this fully aware of the Switch ver. being a bit of a clusterfuck. For reference, 95% of my PS4 gaming is done on ACA ports. imo they're as good as can be but I could not say what, if any input lag they have as I have no way to accurately measure such things

My input lag scale is:
A: Playable / feels the same for games I've played on cab / in mame
B: Unplayable - my character doesn't react quickly based on my inputs

There's definitely a few issues with this collection but input lag is not one that's affecting me. I'm using a bog standard PS4, on a 8yr old Sony TV (game mode on) via a wireless Sony PS4 pad. I'm using Normal display size, screen filter C & no frame / side art

When playing a game with these settings or leaving it running in attract mode my PS4 makes minimum fan noise (same with ACA games / being on the dashboard). If I go back to the menu where the cabs are visible or play a game with the 3D frames on, my PS4 makes more fan noise so I assume this is more process intensive? Still no noticeable lag but tbh I only tried this once to quickly check if it caused obvious lag issues

Could anyone with the PS4 port & lag issues post what their set up is & try the same settings that I use to see if it makes any difference at all. Just trying to find out if there's any factors separating people with unplayable lag & those without, as everyone's experiences seem all over the place right now.

I'm ignoring the Switch due to me not owning that port, the Switch having inherent hardware lag over the PS4 & additional lag when being used docked too apparently
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Still a bit pissed that you can't buy the games individually, why do you gives us hope and then break our hearts, you... you... you DMC2 makers? :x I mean, I can't even launch the damn thing, but I would love to pay for some of the roms and use them on MAME. Sega does what Capcan't.
BIL wrote:Gonna laugh if the Switch version ends up having the lowest input latency. :lol: Ah well. I'm due one for M2's AGES stuff, just haven't had te fookin time with ACA goin' full blast, and new Dariuses and Cottons and R-Types, plus buddies on my ass to play them thar FromSawfts.
I'd wait a while, the Switch Pro might be a thing in the future. Then again, these rumors have been going around for a while now so who knows if there's any truth to them. Even if you only end up using it as an arcade machine, I just don't see the hurry. Who wouldn't want some extra power on that fragile looking console? Besides, Shun isn't going to play itself, is it? :wink:
BBH

Post by BBH »

Okay, quick question to everyone who tried the PS4 version.

If you were experiencing lag on everything - were you using an arcade stick?

If you were NOT experiencing gross amounts of input lag - were you using a Dualshock 4?

(yes, I think this is seriously the solution)
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

BBH wrote:Okay, quick question to everyone who tried the PS4 version.

If you were experiencing lag on everything - were you using an arcade stick?

If you were NOT experiencing gross amounts of input lag - were you using a Dualshock 4?

(yes, I think this is seriously the solution)
Arcade stick or DS4, still lag. DS4 wireless or plugged in, still lag. The solution is: don’t support this garbage.
BIL

Post by BIL »

05pro wrote:Could anyone with the PS4 port & lag issues post what their set up is & try the same settings that I use to see if it makes any difference at all. Just trying to find out if there's any factors separating people with unplayable lag & those without, as everyone's experiences seem all over the place right now.
Display: BenQ Zowie RL2455, 24in via HDMI (I've manually disabled all the fancy blur-reduction bollocks, best I could)
Input: DS4 Bluetooth (said to have less latency than USB cable)
Console: PS4 Slim (disabled all the 3D guff / filters in Stadium, again best I could)

Like you, I use ACA as a benchmark. Sharply responsive, no complaints over many 1CCs and 1LCs. M2's ShotTriggers, which use active input lag reduction (toggleable), are perhaps a subtle step beyond: absolutely airtight. Comparing M2 and Hamster's Dariuses back-to-back-to-back, I find them nigh-indistinguishable. So for my money, these two are the current gold standard on PS4.

RE Stadium, I think I'm in the middle camp. Input response feels subtly dulled, in stuff like 1941 and Carrier Airwing (both very fast-paced STGs), but not to the point of unplayability for at least a 1CC. It reminds me of a PC emulator with Vsync enabled, or again, The Lord Of King. (witness a man encounter native 5F lag, and question if he can go on Image prior to that post, it sounded like a horror story to me. in practice, it's noticeable but still very playable)

EDIT: Up early with a little time to kill, so I did a snap revue of first stages in Vasara 2, ShotTriggers ESPRade, ACA Trigon, and CAS 1941. As ever, M2 and Hamster give me that lock-tight, brain-wired, dick-hard feeling. Image I CAN DO ANYTHING / YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE Image OHSHI WAIT NAW PLS :shock:

While I can notice something off in the latter two, it's not what I'd call debilitating. Just mildly disappointing, and nothing committed play couldn't surmount. IMO, Capcom simply have some work to do, here. A couple frames quicker and (returning to my last post), I'll be very happy.
Searchlike wrote:Even if you only end up using it as an arcade machine, I just don't see the hurry.
Word. :cool: TBH my PS4 is 95% arcade machine too, other than modern STG/R2R releases. I only recently branched out with... reissues of PS2 stuff I already own. :o TFW you disable Anubis so hard you think the console crashed, again, twenty years on Image Goddamnit. I could really go for kneecapping a motherfucker and splattering his brains on the floor with an enviably perfect belly-to-belly suplex. Haggar a badass but he don't got a briefcase for he food - I get knifed in the back halfway up CRIME BOSS TOWER there, I'm fooked! :shock: Good shit be makin me lazy, Search-kun. Image

Spoiler

^^^ THATS ENTERTAINMENT Image But... Image

Spoiler

Besides, Shun isn't going to play itself, is it? :wink:
I like how you think. :lol:
Last edited by BIL on Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock

Post by Prufrock »

Been playing on a base PS4 with a DS4 and filters turned off. Progear feels fine to me. Haven’t spent enough time with the other games.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Switch version feels squeaky now, had an hour last night and didn't notice any issues between the three/four games I messed around with. Giga Wing in particular feels much better, though I'd yet to boot ProGear. There's a '2D' option under screen settings for the wallpapers now - wonder if that turns off any background processing shit?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Melt the Guns

Post by Melt the Guns »

Since using the 2d option, the games run beautifully.
kwewu

Post by kwewu »

Is the background stutter fixed on switch?