Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Samildanach

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW, Steam): Progear, Giga Wing,

Post by Samildanach »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I saw the invincibility DLC, but just sort of shrugged it off. I mean, Capcom Stadium is currently my most played Switch game. Between finally having a home version of Forgotten Worlds with somewhat correct control (and this current run solidifying to me that it isn't just an old personal favorite, but a severely underrated title), Strider (which is pretty much the gold standard of it's era of action platformer), and finally a home port of Progear (which is a great, great, great shooter. Just great), it's been getting a lot of action.

And the whole kit and caboodle cost me what? $18-$20? Deathsmiles 1 and 2 just cost me $50 and half of that package is fucking terrible. So, if Capcom wants to nickel and dime a extra dollar for invincibility, let them. It's a gaming bargain even with the extra buck...
Well said. There is such good games in there that it seems madness to deny them to yourself just because of the easily ignorable invincible dlc. Progear for mere pennies?! Unbelievable bargain.

I suspect further sets of games were planned based on sales success and, certainly on PS4, I think it was a disappointment to them so probably not worth their while to spend more resources on it. Sadly.
velo

Post by velo »

Sima Tuna wrote:Does anyone know what the input lag for the beat em ups in this collection is like? Because I was playing Final Fight. Maybe I should say, trying to play. I was trying to play Final Fight on switch, and it seemed to me that the desperation move just wouldn't come out. I'd be on the ground, fucking hammering the desperation move, and unless I had my finger flying as fast as possible on the button, I wouldn't get a desperation move in time to preempt being combo'd for a touch of death by the enemies waiting for me to wake up. But I seem to recall being able to interrupt with desperation moves fairly reliably in other versions of this game that I played, both while waking up and during enemy combos. I can't tell if it's me or a game issue.

Final Fight is a hard enough game without the desperation move being 50/50 on coming out in time or not.
I thought (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) Final Fight was one of the few beat em ups that gives you no invincibility on wakeup, so if your timing's off you're just screwed (or with bad luck maybe you're screwed regardless). I don't know how the lag compares to the BEU Collection, but it seems fine enough to me, I always play in Capcom Stadium now.
Rastan78 wrote:You can't argue with the quality of the games and the fact that it's affordable. To me it's not about the extra buck, but the principal that they're breaking the seal on introducing paid DLC in a retro collection. I thought it was a big turnoff when they went crazy on that stuff in SFV. In game ads, pricey DLC costumes that take forever to unlock with free in game money etc. Not looking for my games to include built in store fronts full of cosmetic items. The only thing that costs extra in a retro compilation should be more games IMO.
I figure if they're going to charge more money, it should be for something with real value behind it, like more games, or something totally superfluous (and thus ignorable), like the invincibility cheat. If they charged for useful features, like rewind, that would annoy me the most.
Samildanach wrote:I suspect further sets of games were planned based on sales success and, certainly on PS4, I think it was a disappointment to them so probably not worth their while to spend more resources on it. Sadly.
I wish they hadn't raised my hopes by announcing that more games were coming. The Switch support and updates made me optimistic, but it's been over half a year without another word, maybe it's time to grieve.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Samildanach wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:I saw the invincibility DLC, but just sort of shrugged it off. I mean, Capcom Stadium is currently my most played Switch game. Between finally having a home version of Forgotten Worlds with somewhat correct control (and this current run solidifying to me that it isn't just an old personal favorite, but a severely underrated title), Strider (which is pretty much the gold standard of it's era of action platformer), and finally a home port of Progear (which is a great, great, great shooter. Just great), it's been getting a lot of action.

And the whole kit and caboodle cost me what? $18-$20? Deathsmiles 1 and 2 just cost me $50 and half of that package is fucking terrible. So, if Capcom wants to nickel and dime a extra dollar for invincibility, let them. It's a gaming bargain even with the extra buck...
Well said. There is such good games in there that it seems madness to deny them to yourself just because of the easily ignorable invincible dlc. Progear for mere pennies?! Unbelievable bargain.

I suspect further sets of games were planned based on sales success and, certainly on PS4, I think it was a disappointment to them so probably not worth their while to spend more resources on it. Sadly.
Yeah it's a crazy deal. 19XX and Progear didn't even have proper ports before this. And you can get them for a couple bucks? With multiple save states even.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

velo wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:Does anyone know what the input lag for the beat em ups in this collection is like? Because I was playing Final Fight. Maybe I should say, trying to play. I was trying to play Final Fight on switch, and it seemed to me that the desperation move just wouldn't come out. I'd be on the ground, fucking hammering the desperation move, and unless I had my finger flying as fast as possible on the button, I wouldn't get a desperation move in time to preempt being combo'd for a touch of death by the enemies waiting for me to wake up. But I seem to recall being able to interrupt with desperation moves fairly reliably in other versions of this game that I played, both while waking up and during enemy combos. I can't tell if it's me or a game issue.

Final Fight is a hard enough game without the desperation move being 50/50 on coming out in time or not.
I thought (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) Final Fight was one of the few beat em ups that gives you no invincibility on wakeup, so if your timing's off you're just screwed (or with bad luck maybe you're screwed regardless). I don't know how the lag compares to the BEU Collection, but it seems fine enough to me, I always play in Capcom Stadium now.
Yeah, after reading through the responses here and going back for another run at the game, it feels like the window is just very small. There's also a period during wakeup where it seems like your inputs aren't stored or don't count, so unless you time the desperation move perfectly, you'll get hit with a meaty while standing. It's just a hard game and I'm a scrub. :lol: I'm definitely used to games where you have a little invulnerability when standing back up.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

So I got to do a little testing of the wake up desperation move after a knock down in FF. Holding jump and autofire attack at the same time is really effective. But its partly bc mashing attack when you're knocked down makes you quick rise. So getting out of those loops where you can't stand up may be more about quick rising fast enough to give yourself some space rather than just timing the desperation move precisely.

Again, I'd rather use autofire here bc fuck having to mash like crazy every time you get knocked down. If you had to do this on default arcade control might be a good idea to hold jump with your ring finger so you can use both index and middle finger to rapidly flicker the A button. Either way you want to be mashing early in the knockdown animation. Seems like if you get up too slow it may be impossible to beat certain meaty attacks with the desperation move at all even with auto?
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Jeneki wrote:This release of Progear uses different difficulty settings than most people are used to. For example, the US version defaults to 4 instead of 2.
Yoshinoya wrote:Difficulty 4 is standard on Japanese Arcades, 2 for US/EU (^ w ^ )/
If the US version is set to 4, it sounds like it's an oversight with how the defaults are configured on this release. As mentioned earlier in this thread, on CPS-2 arcade games, the Japanese version is generally set at 4 and the US version set at 2. For Giga Wing, the difficulty slider doesn't appear to do much if anything, but in Progear, the difficulty slider has a tremendous impact on bullet speeds.

In both Giga Wing and Progear, it appears the difficulty is configured so that the 2 in the US version is close or fairly equivalent to the 4 in the Japanese version (especially if you're scoring well and the game rank cranks up, I can't tell much of a difference if there is one). I suspect it's so that the US version can be cranked up higher overall (+6 compared to +4 in the JP ver). If this release defaults the US version to difficulty 4, then it's actually +2 harder than the JP ver! No wonder it's harder on the "defaults" on this compilation.
This is quite interesting, and it's made me a bit confused as to how they've implemented Progear in Arcade Stadium.

On both the Japanese and English roms the difficulty is set to "Medium" when you go into the collection's settings for both versions. And the leaderboards for both versions are unified. What does Medium translate to for both versions of the game I wonder?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I haven't played Progear in this collection so I'm afraid I can't help, but I have played the compilation port of Capcom's two D&D themed beat 'em ups, and I had the same complaint there. I had no idea what difficulty corresponded to the arcade default because their difficulty selection screen doesn't tell you.

Contrast that to Raiden Fighters Aces and Raiden IV which very clearly tell you in the difficulty selection which difficulty corresponds to the arcade default. That sort of thing is greatly appreciated.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

This is quite interesting, and it's made me a bit confused as to how they've implemented Progear in Arcade Stadium.

On both the Japanese and English roms the difficulty is set to "Medium" when you go into the collection's settings for both versions. And the leaderboards for both versions are unified. What does Medium translate to for both versions of the game I wonder?

I know that I dropped Progear down to "easy" (which certainly isn't easy at all) as "medium" was a too goddamn hard to be enjoyable. And tbh there isn't that much difference between the two levels. Larger enemies have exactly the same bullet amounts and patterns. It's just popcorns that had their fire rates lowered (and I wouldn't even say it's halved).
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I assume no physical release is anticipated for this? In which case, could someone tell me whether Stadium Packs 1, 2, and 3 (available as a bundle on the Nintendo eShop) is the best way to go. Is this going to include all the great shmups? I haven't followed this series and I'm not sure exactly how it works. Thanks in advance!
SPM

Post by SPM »

There are shmups in every pack. It all depends on the games you're interested in. You may buy the whole collection, packs or individual titles. Do the maths.

(You don't get less features if you don't buy the whole pack, just less games)
Spoiler
Pack 1:Dawn of the Arcade (’84 – ’88)
VULGUS
PIRATE SHIP HIGEMARU
COMMANDO
SECTION Z
Tatakai no Banka
LEGENDARY WINGS
BIONIC COMMANDO
FORGOTTEN WORLDS
Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Pack 2:Arcade Revolution (’89 – ’92)
STRIDER
DYNASTY WARS
FINAL FIGHT
1941 - Counter Attack -
Senjo no OkamiⅡ
MEGA TWINS
CARRIER AIR WING
STREET FIGHTER II - The World Warrior -
CAPTAIN COMMANDO
VARTH - Operation Thunderstorm -

Pack 3:Arcade Evolution (’92 – ’01)
WARRIORS OF FATE
STREET FIGHTER II' - Hyper Fighting -
SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO
Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment -
CYBERBOTS - FULLMETAL MADNESS -
19XX - The War Against Destiny -
Battle Circuit
Giga Wing
1944 - The Loop Master -
Progear
Last edited by SPM on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:This is quite interesting, and it's made me a bit confused as to how they've implemented Progear in Arcade Stadium.

I know that I dropped Progear down to "easy" (which certainly isn't easy at all) as "medium" was a too goddamn hard to be enjoyable. And tbh there isn't that much difference between the two levels. Larger enemies have exactly the same bullet amounts and patterns. It's just popcorns that had their fire rates lowered (and I wouldn't even say it's halved).
I don't think they took into account the differences in scale of the difficulty sliders bwtween the JP and EN versions. EN defaults to 2 and JP defaults to 4, but because the two versions scale differently, they are about the same difficulty at those settings. I wonder if the developers didn't realize there was a difference and just used 4 as the medium for both versions l. This may ne the reason why the EN version is noticably harder at the same difficulty level on the collection.
professor ganson

SPM wrote:There are shmups in every pack. It all depends on the games you're interested in. You may buy the whole collection, packs or individual titles. Do the maths.

(You don't get less features if you don't buy the whole pack, just less games)
Super helpful, SPM! Much obliged.
Unadan360

Post by Unadan360 »

30 dollars for all three packs on Switch? Worth it?
professor ganson

Unadan360 wrote:30 dollars for all three packs on Switch? Worth it?
I'm just about to go for it! And Tetris Effect is on sale as well, something I've been waiting on.
SPM

Post by SPM »

"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

First of all, it's great news more titles are coming. More affordable Arcade titles, with good presentation and customization options. Keep them coming.
I keep checking this thread (and other places), hoping to hear about any further titles coming to this "platform". :)

But, I'm hoping they don't go for an actual separate title (at least on digital platforms).
It would be great if the new games would be integrated into the existing Stadium launcher, to have everything in one place.
Creamy Goodness

FunktionJCB wrote:
First of all, it's great news more titles are coming. More affordable Arcade titles, with good presentation and customization options. Keep them coming.
I keep checking this thread (and other places), hoping to hear about any further titles coming to this "platform". :)

But, I'm hoping they don't go for an actual separate title (at least on digital platforms).
It would be great if the new games would be integrated into the existing Stadium launcher, to have everything in one place.
My gut says April Fools joke. There is not much left in their catalog to rerelease. Plus why would Korea be the forst news of this. Or hopefully we get a legit release of Dimahoo :D
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Creamy Goodness wrote:My gut says April Fools joke. There is not much left in their catalog to rerelease. Plus why would Korea be the forst news of this. Or hopefully we get a legit release of Dimahoo :D
I know today is April Fool's Day, but Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 was indeed rated in Korea.
I actually searched the website, and it appears it was submitted for a rating in late March:

https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/Popup ... 1d53453bb0

Besides the main entry, there's a second entry for "CAPCOM ARCADE 2ND STADIUM (캡콤 아케이드 2ND 스타디움) BUNDLE #1", so this second volume will probably be released in several smaller bundles, as with the first compilation:

https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/Popup ... 1d53453bb0
Creamy Goodness

I stand corrected. Although I still wonder what hits they could add. Seems they kind of blew their load on the first go around. Darkstalkers games are an option, but that series is getting its own release in June along with some other potential games worth putting in the package.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Creamy Goodness wrote:I stand corrected. Although I still wonder what hits they could add. Seems they kind of blew their load on the first go around. Darkstalkers games are an option, but that series is getting its own release in June along with some other potential games worth putting in the package.
I'm not recalling many more shmups that can be added (for example, Mars Matrix), but in terms of games in general, I'm hoping they may add some of their beat'em ups based on licensed properties, like The Punisher, Alien vs. Predator, and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

They did release an arcade machine of sorts not long ago with Alien vs. Predator, so I'm hoping they have expanded the license for that game to cover for a PC/console re-release. :)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I think that Capcom arcade stick thing was made by a company called Koch Media using license from Capcom. Would anyone go through the trouble of obtaining a valuable license, like AvP, to include one rom on a niche product?

I'd speculate they obtained the license for some other product(s) around that time and decided to make good use of it? Something like this:

https://presse.kochmedia.com/de/Aliens-Fireteam-Elite
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I cannot believe someone on Shmups forum would think CAPCOM doesn't have "much left in their library to release".
SPM

Post by SPM »

FunktionJCB wrote:I'm not recalling many more shmups that can be added (for example, Mars Matrix), but in terms of games in general, I'm hoping they may add some of their beat'em ups based on licensed properties, like The Punisher, Alien vs. Predator, and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.
I'd love to see Gun.Smoke, Side Arms, Eco Fighters and Savage Bees.
Giga Wing 2 as well of course, but I don't know if the arcade version is well emulated? (considering they wouldn't bring the DC version).

Also, Super Pang and Last Duel (less shmuppy, but equally shootery XD)
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

bigbadboaz wrote:I cannot believe someone on Shmups forum would think CAPCOM doesn't have "much left in their library to release".
If you mean me, to clarify, they do have plenty other shmups, but several are for hardware that, last time I checked, had some emulation problems (and since Capcom Arcade Stadium is based on MAME, I assume they won't be doing extensive work to get these working; like SPM before me mentioned, Giga Wing 2 comes immediately to mind; I would love to see it available, but sadly I'm not holding my breath), while others may potential have some rights issues to them (titles where Capcom merely distributed the game, and that I assume they don't own full rights). :wink:

Since I love Capcom's arcade output, I'm sure whatever ends up being part of this release, it will be worth it.
I'm partial to shmups and beat'em ups, but I'll take anything, really: action games, platformers, puzzle games, (...).

I do wish that, for digital platforms, they would place all these re-releases under the same "platform" (launcher/app, whatever you want to call it), for convenience and uniformity.
Even the upcoming Capcom Fighting Collection, I wish they would do something like, if you buy this collection, you unlock these games on Capcom Arcade Stadium 1/2, instead of having separate launchers for various releases. I mean, besides the current Arcade Stadium (and soon 2), most platforms have, or will have:
-Capcom Beat 'Em Up bundle
-Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
-Capcom Fighting Collection (soon)

And, on some (like Steam), there's even the Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara dual pack.

So, potentially 5 (or 6) different launchers for various Capcom Arcade games.

Either way, it's great to see Capcom make more of their arcade titles easily available on multiple platforms. :)
Creamy Goodness

bigbadboaz wrote:I cannot believe someone on Shmups forum would think CAPCOM doesn't have "much left in their library to release".
Their library is absolutely huge, but not all of that is arcade stuff. Their heavy hitters were already part of the first collection and a big chunk of their other major games have their own collection. Then you have to remove the licensed gamed. I'd be very surprised if they get the licensing for Marvel or even SNK. And then as was mentioned their are emulatuon issues for some games. That does not leave a whole lot of meat for anybody other than very hardcore arcade enthusiasts unless they do one volume with some recently rehashed stuff.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Although I still wonder what hits they could add.
Yes, I Wonder what 3 hits they could add.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

Creamy Goodness wrote:I stand corrected. Although I still wonder what hits they could add. Seems they kind of blew their load on the first go around. Darkstalkers games are an option, but that series is getting its own release in June along with some other potential games worth putting in the package.
Still plenty of candidates like 1943 Kai. Only half of Capcom Arcade Cabinet's lineup made the cut for Capcom Arcade Stadium for instance. And ignoring Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and games I've already counted with the previously mentioned CAC, there's by my count 12 classics still exclusive to the old Capcom Classics Collections from the PS2/Xbox that remain absent.

There's 20 games already. More than halfway there to a lineup as large as the original Stadium without even treading down new territory with previously overlooked games like U.N. Squadron (Only in need of some minor edits to make it non-infringing with the Area 88 manga series), Mad Gear, Code Name: Viper, Capcom Golf, etc.

Only four of those 20 games are present on other current gen collections (Although some are present on Xbox by way of Xbox 360 backwards compatibility). And as shown with their upcoming fighting game collection and a handful of games on Arcade Stadium, newer games are also in play here like Capcom Sports Club and Slipstream that used to be considered non-starters for consideration in older compilations.

And there's still a big pool of fighting games that remain absent that could be drawn from to round out the lineup.
Last edited by Atariboy on Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Kai is huge... such an improvement over the original and super-playable to this day.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I wish Capcom would have just added 20+ new games to the old CAS instead of trying to sell a new one. I still am very doubtful that Capcom will bother to release the licensed arcade titles that people desperately want, such as AvP, Cadillacs and Dinos, Punisher etc. If we're lucky, we might get some re-releases of games that Capcom has brought out in previous collections, such as Knights of the Round and Shadow over Mystara. I'm always skeptical when I see new Capcom arcade announcements because I've watched Capcom release the same shit over and over for the last fifteen years, while allowing certain, hotly-demanded games to remain arcade-only. Even when they released MvC2 on xbox 360, they pulled it down pretty fucking fast, along with Jojo.

I know Capcom has a lot of games they could release. I'm just not so sure they have a lot of arcade games left they are willing to release.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

How do we know "Stadium 2" isn't just the naming convention they're using for the second round of packs? It does seem like it would draw more attention this way.